OT: Windows 7

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Curious as to why you recommended AMD over Intel db? :?

Intel still has the horsepower in games as well as cooling to trump AMD mobile processors.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

In the three options that were given to me by Jimmy the AMD is a better processor. If I get to build my own system, I choose i7...of course.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Got to work this morning with a nice little e-mail telling me my download was ready. I remote desktopped my home pc and started the download. :D
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Nice to know that work...err, studying at a University has its benefits for once, now that my work email address passes the validation :wink:
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

looks like you need to do a clean install to go from XP to 7, so I'll hold off I guess.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ScoopBrady wrote:Got to work this morning with a nice little e-mail telling me my download was ready. I remote desktopped my home pc and started the download. :D
Amazingly it's been REALLY fast too. Got the 3GB file in less than 20 min. last night. Why can't they put those servers on the Xbox 360?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

fsquid wrote:looks like you need to do a clean install to go from XP to 7, so I'll hold off I guess.
What do you mean clean install?

As in i have to back everything up data, game fiels all that stuff?

Yeah no thanks if that's the case that becomes a f***in huge project
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:Got to work this morning with a nice little e-mail telling me my download was ready. I remote desktopped my home pc and started the download. :D
Amazingly it's been REALLY fast too. Got the 3GB file in less than 20 min. last night. Why can't they put those servers on the Xbox 360?
Mine just finished a little while ago. I think 3 gb at this time of day in about an hour is pretty damn good. Let me know how the process goes if you don't mind. If it's pretty quick and painless I'll likely do it when I get home, otherwise I'll wait until tomorrow.
I am a patient boy.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
fsquid wrote:looks like you need to do a clean install to go from XP to 7, so I'll hold off I guess.

You cannot upgrade from XP to Windows 7. You have to wipe your hard drive and start over. You can only upgrade from Vista. At least that's what I've heard as well. Maybe it just applies to the .exe files that we're getting with the student discount. I haven't looked into other ways.

And Scoop...I'll do both of my PCs when I get home. Wife has a Dell Laptop w/ Vista so she'll be getting 32bit and I've got my desktop that'll get 64bit. I'll let ya know how it goes this evening after work.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Danimal wrote:

You cannot upgrade from XP to Windows 7. You have to wipe your hard drive and start over. You can only upgrade from Vista. At least that's what I've heard as well. Maybe it just applies to the .exe files that we're getting with the student discount. I haven't looked into other ways.

And Scoop...I'll do both of my PCs when I get home. Wife has a Dell Laptop w/ Vista so she'll be getting 32bit and I've got my desktop that'll get 64bit. I'll let ya know how it goes this evening after work.
Yeah, it has been widely reported that you cannot upgrade from XP to Win7, and that a full wipe is required.

Going from Vista to Win7 is apparently pretty simple though.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Btw, I am in the market for new Win7 laptops.

Looking for a 13-incher for the wife. She rarely is at her desk, so I'm looking for something light with long battery life, and can handle her MS Office and web-browsing workload. I have my eye on the HP dm3t, but no reviews yet, and I don't know how the performance of those Intel ULV processors stack up.

For myself I am considering 14 or 15 inch laptops, but am not really in a rush to buy. My laptop is usually parked at my desk and attached to a 22-inch monitor for extended desktop, but 16-inch+ just seem so big to me after 5 years of 12-inchers. I am also having a hard time justifying anything but machines with low-end graphics too.

Would love to swap notes with anyone on these things if others are looking.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I'm curious if any of you think it's worth $120 to go from Vista to 7. I have Vista on my desktop and have been pretty happy with it, and I'm not eligible for the free upgrade.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:I'm curious if any of you think it's worth $120 to go from Vista to 7. I have Vista on my desktop and have been pretty happy with it, and I'm not eligible for the free upgrade.
After using the beta for a while...yes. Tho, most people probably won't be able to tell the difference in day to day use, so it's all a matter of how much 120 dollars means to you! LOL. It is definitely a better operating system.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Naples39 wrote: Going from Vista to Win7 is apparently pretty simple though.
Unless you never installed Vista.

Sorry that's too much reloading of programs from me, nevermind all my Steam downloads.

Oh well.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sh!t. I have to think about upgrading to W7 from XP now, since it's a clean install. MS has to know that a lot of people are still with XP, why can't they make it easier for us?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

10spro wrote:Sh!t. I have to think about upgrading to W7 from XP now, since it's a clean install. MS has to know that a lot of people are still with XP, why can't they make it easier for us?
You mean they could make it easier than the 7-step process including moving files and accounts back-and-forth between your computer and an external harddrive as well as reinstalling programs? I call bullocks. :lol:
I am a patient boy.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

ScoopBrady wrote:
10spro wrote:Sh!t. I have to think about upgrading to W7 from XP now, since it's a clean install. MS has to know that a lot of people are still with XP, why can't they make it easier for us?
You mean they could make it easier than the 7-step process including moving files and accounts back-and-forth between your computer and an external harddrive as well as reinstalling programs? I call bullocks. :lol:
Care to elaborate for those less tech savvy, or at leats provide a link. I have an external 250 gigi drive and also a secondary TB drive on my system.

If you're telling me Windows 7 lets me move everything to one of those and bacvk and everything will work again then I am gonna go buy it today. I'm really concerned with my games, I have about 40+ games installed, 1/3rd of those Steam downlands.
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

You WILL have to reinstall all of your games and programs. It's never recommended to go from OS to OS without reinstalling. The tech community is saying that Vista to 7 is probably the first one that they'd even consider doing it on. XP to 7...not so much. The backup and restore is for user files/docs/pics/music/etc.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

dbdynsty25 wrote:You WILL have to reinstall all of your games and programs. It's never recommended to go from OS to OS without reinstalling. The tech community is saying that Vista to 7 is probably the first one that they'd even consider doing it on. XP to 7...not so much. The backup and restore is for user files/docs/pics/music/etc.
Yes, what he said. I'm sorry if I gave the illusion that you wouldn't have to.

Here's the link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -windows-7
I am a patient boy.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:In the three options that were given to me by Jimmy the AMD is a better processor. If I get to build my own system, I choose i7...of course.
Intel is the best overall option for me as well, mobile or desktop.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Naples39 wrote:Btw, I am in the market for new Win7 laptops.

Looking for a 13-incher for the wife.

8O :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

bulls23 wrote:
Naples39 wrote:Btw, I am in the market for new Win7 laptops.

Looking for a 13-incher for the wife.

8O :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist.
LOL!! :oops:

eman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by eman »

The company I work for is a Microsoft reseller so I've had what amounts to the final release code for Windows 7 Ultimate for several weeks now. I run it on my laptop, but honestly, there's not much that I can do with it that I cant do with XP Pro.

And for those debating 32bit vs 64bit - stick with 32bit unless you have a really good reason to jump to 64 (i.e. the software you run specifically takes advantage of the 64bit OS).

I think Windows 7 is a rock solid OS, and will succeed where Vista failed, but I don't see a real reason to move away from the perfectly stable XP platform if you have it in place and are happy.
Gamer Tag - mmeh97
Owner in the DSP Official League - Eagles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It was a piece of cake Scoop. Carry on...takes less than an hour...you can upgrade or create a new install. Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to boot off the disc I created, so you can't just wipe the hard drive completely and install, but I suppose that's a limitation of our 30 dollar copy. I remember you used to be able to use the "upgrade" discs as long as you put a previous version in the drive for it to validate. Maybe they'll be a way to do it, but as of now, I can't find any info on how to make it happen. I tried to burn the image, but it just won't boot from it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Just emailed Microsoft at their WFP group to see if I can score a free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. I got a free copy of Vista Ultimate last time around. :)