OT: NCAA March Madness

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

For all this talk of the "little guys" being bypassed for more spots for the power conferences, how many of the Lilliputians of college basketball won Thursday?

One -- Western Kentucky. I consider Gonzaga to have developed a strong program over time that can compete with almost anyone.

Otherwise, the winner of every game came from a "power conference."

We'll see what happens today, but so far it appears the Selection Committee knows what the hell it's doing.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

pk500 wrote:For all this talk of the "little guys" being bypassed for more spots for the power conferences, how many of the Lilliputians of college basketball won Thursday?

One -- Western Kentucky. I consider Gonzaga to have developed a strong program over time that can compete with almost anyone.

We'll see what happens today, but so far it appears the Selection Committee knows what the hell it's doing.

Take care,
PK
I hope you just didn't jinx the 'Cuse with this statement!

Rck

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Maybe Cindarella's running a day late this year... ***cough*** Cleveland State ***cough***

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

pk500 wrote:
Brando70 wrote:Memphis looks completely lost on D, like somebody just gave them a pop quiz in algebra.
Ah, the rigors of that brutal Conference USA schedule ...

Take care,
PK
I was hoping to comeback on this with a Nova loss.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

icvu42 wrote:
pk500 wrote:For all this talk of the "little guys" being bypassed for more spots for the power conferences, how many of the Lilliputians of college basketball won Thursday?

Take care,
PK
I hope you just didn't jinx the 'Cuse with this statement!

Rck
Yeah, could be my most famous last words. Hope not! :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

TheGamer wrote:Wow no love for the Illini. Yeah W Ky beat Louisville, but they also lost to a lot of poor teams. Illinois did beat Missouri, Purdue twice, played MI St tough on the road. Can the boys get a little love.
Ummm......

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Oh my Illinois..

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I always root against the Orangemen...it's totally based on PK's ranting after they lose. :)

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Take care,
PK
They do? The last 3 at-large teams were Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Arizona. I'm guess those 3 will do an O-for the first round which will prove nothing.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

fsquid wrote:

Take care,
PK
They do? The last 3 at-large teams were Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Arizona. I'm guess those 3 will do an O-for the first round which will prove nothing.
Yeah, you can't really assess the situation until after the games today. It's not uncommon for a relatively calm first day to be followed by an absolutely nuts second day. And the smaller schools played pretty tough in the games they lost, outside of the 1-16 blowouts.

I will take my hat off to Maryland, who I thought should have been barred because of a losing ACC conference record -- they really spanked Cal and look like they will give Memphis a game.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

MizzouRah wrote:Oh my Illinois..
I am not even remotely disappointed.

They had a great season, totally overachieving, and were clearly undone by Frazier's absence. Bruce Weber got an incredible season out of a team almost completely bereft of offensive ability and lacking a single star-quality player. This was a team that scored in the 30's twice this season (once at home) and played several games where the took less than 8 free throws (once taking none at home!). Yet Weber was able to get them to play great team defense and squeeze out enough offense to challenge for the Conference title and steal a 5-seed in the NCAA Tourney. Sad ending, but a fine season for a team on the rise.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:And the smaller schools played pretty tough in the games they lost, outside of the 1-16 blowouts.
Well, let's give them a gold star for trying hard. Bottom line is, the only non-major team to win yesterday was W. Kentucky. Again, I think Gonzaga is a legitimate program that could hold its own in a major conference.

We'll see what happens today.

Take care,
PK

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Memphis also won.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fsquid wrote:Memphis also won.
Your point? You're saying Memphis is one of the "little guys" of college hoop?

Memphis may play in a sh*t conference, but it's a top-level powerhouse. Conference USA was a damn good conference before the mass defections to the Big East.

Take care,
PK

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Yes, according to my Louisville and Tennessee fans, we are small time.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

pk500 wrote:
Brando70 wrote:And the smaller schools played pretty tough in the games they lost, outside of the 1-16 blowouts.
Well, let's give them a gold star for trying hard. Bottom line is, the only non-major team to win yesterday was W. Kentucky. Again, I think Gonzaga is a legitimate program that could hold its own in a major conference.

We'll see what happens today.

Take care,
PK
That's not the point. It depends on how the last few majors do more than anything. If Arizona and Wisconsin s*** the bed the way Minnesota did, then I think that is bad for the tournament, because it's rewarding teams for mediocrity and you wind up with games like the Texas/Minnesota game, which was like a bad bowl game.

It's not like there's a huge problem, just a few spots that probably should have gone to more deserving teams from smaller conferences. We'll have to see how the games play out today.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Did anyone see the performance of Ben Woodside of North Dakota State against KU? He is the real deal. Maybe not on the same level as Curry from Davidson, but he's a pro ball player. 37 points.

Thank goodness KU was able to hang on. That was one tough 14 seed.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

RobVarak wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Oh my Illinois..
I am not even remotely disappointed.

They had a great season, totally overachieving, and were clearly undone by Frazier's absence. Bruce Weber got an incredible season out of a team almost completely bereft of offensive ability and lacking a single star-quality player. This was a team that scored in the 30's twice this season (once at home) and played several games where the took less than 8 free throws (once taking none at home!). Yet Weber was able to get them to play great team defense and squeeze out enough offense to challenge for the Conference title and steal a 5-seed in the NCAA Tourney. Sad ending, but a fine season for a team on the rise.
Totally agree, and definitely looking forward to the next few seasons with the recruits Weber has solidified.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

pk500 wrote:
Brando70 wrote:Memphis looks completely lost on D, like somebody just gave them a pop quiz in algebra.

Take care,
PK
Looks like that Big East schedule has had the same effect on Pitt and Loserville

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fsquid wrote:
pk500 wrote:

Take care,
PK
Looks like that Big East schedule has had the same effect on Pitt and Loserville
Louisville won by 20. Dominated the second half, opening with a 22-6 run. Not exactly a nail-biter.

Take care,
PK

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

With the teams Cleveland State plays night in and night out in the Horizon, Wake never stood a chance. Maybe if Wake could play tougher teams in conference, they could stay with a team like Cleveland State.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fsquid wrote:With the teams Cleveland State plays night in and night out in the Horizon, Wake never stood a chance. Maybe if Wake could play tougher teams in conference, they could stay with a team like Cleveland State.
Cleveland State beat Syracuse this year at the Dome. That's enough proof for me that they're for real.

Nonetheless, I was impressed by Siena and Dayton. Nice wins.

Take care,
PK

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Arizona and Wisconsin proved they should have been in.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

fsquid wrote:Arizona and Wisconsin proved they should have been in.
Arizona could be a sneaky one this year.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I wish the ACC would have prepared Maryland for the Tigers