Soccer thread 07/08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Goalkeepers: Rami Shabaan (Fredrikstad), Johan Wiland (Elfsborg).

Defenders: Mattias Concha (Bochum), Erik Edman (Rennes), Petter Hansson (Rennes), Daniel Majstorovic (FC Basel), Olof Mellberg (Aston Villa), Mikael Nilsson (Panathinaikos).

Midfielders: Niclas Alexandersson (IFK Goteborg), Daniel Andersson (Malmo FF), Kennedy Bakircioglu (Ajax), Dusan Djuric (Halmstad), Samuel Holmen (Elfsborg), Kim Kallstrom (Lyon), Tobias Linderoth (Galatasaray), Fredrik Ljungberg (West Ham), Christian Wilhemsson (Bolton).

Strikers: Marcus Allback (FC Copenhagen), Johan Elmander (Toulouse), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan), Rade Prica (Aalborg), Markus Rosenberg (Werder Bremen)Sweden names a good side for the game against the US:

[quote][/quote]

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

US playing Brazil now instead of Mexico in a month

http://www.ussoccer.com/

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

2 games, 2 wins, no goals against

Man U on Sunday, no Shrek, no cheating Fake Ronaldo

Either a disaster in the making, or chance to put another one over them.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Possibly a sign of the apocolypse

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Oh Simooooooooo. Looks like a rematch of the 1st ever DSP promotion face off is in the cards for 2 weeks time!!

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

:D

You might well be safe - we've started the season with a couple of impressive performances but seem to be having our usual early-season difficulty hitting a cow's arse with a banjo. The last time we met in this competition, as I'm sure you'll recall, we won on penalties at Hillsborough and celebrated like we'd won the whole tournament, because that was a big game for us at the time.

As for the last time we met in any competition, I'm still having the flashbacks. I have the full match on tape and I still can't watch anything of it after Jon Daly put us 2-1 up. Daly's playing in the SPL now, which if nothing else should give you an idea of how bad the SPL is these days.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

yes, the guys that scores within a minute of coming on. Try not to get anyone sent off this time.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I like how Chelsea started so far, with an entertaining and fluid game. It'll be a good test with Liverpool this weekend. ManU minus a few stars will have it tough vs City.

K_Mosley
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by K_Mosley »

McBride dislocates his kneecap while planting to score a goal unmarked from about 6 yards or so. Word is he's out for 3-4 months.

Sad to see...

Kevin
http://www.middleagedgamer.com

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

WOW!

Extremely dubious point for Chelsea...what a howler of a decision by Rob Styels...if that was a penalty...OY Vey. :roll:

Chelsea were given a point and a 3 point swing in the grand scheme of things...if it is close in Mat, this day will need to be remembered.

What happened to Shevchenko?...is he that far down the Jose ladder?

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Styles was an absolute shambles. Just as bad as the penalty was the fact that he WAVED A SECOND YELLOW CARD IN ESSIEN'S FACE and then states that he was giving that card to Terry. I loved Essien's reaction too - he thought he was gone.

Well done City, btw.

Jens Lehman for player of the month.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Sir Red-Faced Drunken Hypocrite was in the papers this morning, saying he didn't know who some of Sven's signings where.

Fair enough Fergie - you sign Hargreaves for twice what he's really worth because you've heard of him, after having paid £16m for Carrick last year (aka the Poor Man's Owen Hargreaves).

You spend £50m+ this summer and end up playing John (Brokeback Mountain) O'Shea upfront, and bringing on some second raters as subs today.

You reckon Sven's only here for the money, yet that's the only reason you are still at MU...and the reason why the Glasers are there, after you destabilised the existing ownerships after falling out with the Coolmore Mafia and failing to answer their infamous '99 questions'.

You've bought a player who shouldn't be in the Prem at all (Tevez) because he is still owned by a third party, regardless of what spin you put on it.

You bought a player (Anderson) who you don't need for a vastly inflated £17m, then somehow pressure the FA into getting him a work permit, despite him falling well short of the correct criteria.

You don't know who Giovanni is, apparently. Well you do now, you knob - he's the guy we got on a free and who put the ball in your net. I guess it was your legendary selective sight that has blanked from your mind his goal for Benfica that knocked MU out of the Chumps League in 2005 as well, unless it was senility.

We're top tonight, no goals conceded and your glory hunting fans are off to the station for their 200 mile journey home. The blue 3/4 of Manchester are singing tonight, and don't you just HATE it.

"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Congrats, Dave.

That penalty was a joke! Graham Poll, a nation turns it's lonely eyes to you :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

WAY TO GO, MCFC! Dave, if you're still sober and can read this, CONGRATS!

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Dunne and Micah Richards were fantastic tonight. Even though Man U had the ball they never really created any great chances.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

davet010 wrote:Sir Red-Faced Drunken Hypocrite was in the papers this morning, saying he didn't know who some of Sven's signings where.

Fair enough Fergie - you sign Hargreaves for twice what he's really worth because you've heard of him, after having paid £16m for Carrick last year (aka the Poor Man's Owen Hargreaves).

You spend £50m+ this summer and end up playing John (Brokeback Mountain) O'Shea upfront, and bringing on some second raters as subs today.

You reckon Sven's only here for the money, yet that's the only reason you are still at MU...and the reason why the Glasers are there, after you destabilised the existing ownerships after falling out with the Coolmore Mafia and failing to answer their infamous '99 questions'.

You've bought a player who shouldn't be in the Prem at all (Tevez) because he is still owned by a third party, regardless of what spin you put on it.

You bought a player (Anderson) who you don't need for a vastly inflated £17m, then somehow pressure the FA into getting him a work permit, despite him falling well short of the correct criteria.

You don't know who Giovanni is, apparently. Well you do now, you knob - he's the guy we got on a free and who put the ball in your net. I guess it was your legendary selective sight that has blanked from your mind his goal for Benfica that knocked MU out of the Chumps League in 2005 as well, unless it was senility.

We're top tonight, no goals conceded and your glory hunting fans are off to the station for their 200 mile journey home. The blue 3/4 of Manchester are singing tonight, and don't you just HATE it.

LOL Absolutely brilliant!

Got to echo JRod's comments - Richards was fantastic.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Premier League dropped Styles for this weekend's games after his pitiful performance in Chelsea-Liverpool:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 90,00.html

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:Premier League dropped Styles for this weekend's games after his pitiful performance in Chelsea-Liverpool:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 90,00.html

Take care,
PK
That's pretty much the definition of "scant consolation." Still, could you imagine seen the NFL or MLB do this?

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Does Tim Donaghy count? :)

Take care,
PK

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

He needs to be on the field, the EPL can lose their best "Graham Pol".
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

anyone watch the LA-NY MLS match on sat. night? Beckham is rediculous compared to the rest of the league. Fun game all night.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

fsquid wrote:anyone watch the LA-NY MLS match on sat. night? Beckham is rediculous compared to the rest of the league. Fun game all night.
Hugely entertaining match, and just what MLS needs. Altidore was sensational as well. No defense to be found, but the pace and flair on display was fun to watch.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

RobVarak wrote:
fsquid wrote:anyone watch the LA-NY MLS match on sat. night? Beckham is rediculous compared to the rest of the league. Fun game all night.
Hugely entertaining match, and just what MLS needs. Altidore was sensational as well. No defense to be found, but the pace and flair on display was fun to watch.
If the MLS wants to grow they really shouldn't worry about defense. :)

Wanted to ask this question, which was the better free kick overall. Beckham's Super Liga FK or Gerrard's free kick last week? As much as I know football, I don't know which would be the superior FK. Both were sensational but in terms of quality which would be better one?

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I know Beckham is hear to promote the league but to say he hasnt been involved in a match like that with as many goals since he was 8 or 9 is a bit much. (Vomit)ok we get it.

Wasnt he essentially involved in the 9-8, 6-5 whatever the score was cup fiasco game last week ?(on the bench)

Im sick of it all ready, Fsc is becoming unwatchable because of it, well that and that new tosser with the lisp who thinks hes on sportscenter.

Rant over EPL coverage has been great so far.