Playstation HUB; Sony planning to take on XBox Live?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Playstation HUB; Sony planning to take on XBox Live?

Post by DivotMaker »

Kazuya wrote:
I don't have any doubt that Sony could look at an Xbox 360 tomorrow, and then release a PS3 that rips off the exact same interface. Been there done that.
We'll agree to disagree.

Kazuya wrote:You absolutely can if you know what you're doing, been there done that. I have rigged s*** to meet finicky buyers demands like you wouldn't believe. I don't like to throw around credentials and argue technical jargon on message boards anymore, so all I'm going to say is that I'm very, very familiar with just about every aspect of console design, down to the last piece of solder on the board. There is nothing to be gained for me jabbering about it on a message board. I'm 100% sure I know what I'm talking about, and I don't have a problem saying that I'm sure you know what you're talking about too.
I'll just agree to disagree.
Kazuya wrote:It's called a compound sentence... jeez. I say again, I pretty obviously didn't say that I had "no doubts" that Sony would best Live.
Ok, whatever.
Kazuya wrote:In my summation, my comments are not at all contradictory, and you should indeed read more closely.
Here is where I guess I draw the line. I went back and re-read what you stated BEFORE my last response. I don't need you to suggest I read closer. Maybe you should consider making statements that DO NOT start out saying one thing and by the time your "compound sentence" is finished you have stated just the opposite.

Kazuya wrote:Why don't you show me a console who has cared about doing it? The only company to release a major console since the first Xbox is... Microsoft again! When the other guys (as if there were a ton of them) care about doing it, they will do it. It's old, simple Simon stuff.
Again, I will simply agree to disagree. This is getting old and very counterproductive.

Kazuya wrote:Sony can and will do no wrong. Why anyone would think otherwise is a mystery to me. I'm not saying they deserve that status, but it's just the way it is. s*** the PS2 was the worst launch I ever saw, horrible games, shortages out the wazoo, hard drive came years late and was also worthless...
So they can and will do no wrong, yet you say in the very next sentence "not that they deserve it"? Virtually every statement you make is a contradiction. To suggest a company "can and will do no wrong" is just flat out naive. I do not believe there is a SINGLE company in this world that can make such a claim. Unbelievable...

Kazuya wrote:yet they still broke all the records and beat the hell out of the competition. It's just the way it is. You'll have to learn to deal with it.
They were in business with the PS2 a bit longer and they catered to the Japanese market. Plus they also had a previous console to build upon, so if MS does not make great inroads with the 360 like Sony did with the PS2, then Sony's success is certainly worth noting. However, to sit here and suggest they "can and will do no wrong" is utterly ridiculous, especially in this day and age.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

DivotMaker wrote:Here is where I guess I draw the line. I went back and re-read what you stated BEFORE my last response. I don't need you to suggest I read closer. Maybe you should consider making statements that DO NOT start out saying one thing and by the time your "compound sentence" is finished you have stated just the opposite.
You misquoted me... the sentence couldn't be clearer. If you can dream up a fair bet involving an English professor, I have no problem taking your dough. The sentence is clear.
DivotMaker wrote:So they can and will do no wrong, yet you say in the very next sentence "not that they deserve it"? Virtually every statement you make is a contradiction. To suggest a company "can and will do no wrong" is just flat out naive. I do not believe there is a SINGLE company in this world that can make such a claim. Unbelievable...
LOL... it's obviously figurative speech. The Pittsburgh Steelers can and will do no wrong... care to offer up proof to the contrary? All I know is there is not a shred of evidence that Sony can do anything wrong in the video game business, despite your incredulity. Everything they touch... has turned to gold.
DivotMaker wrote:They were in business with the PS2 a bit longer and they catered to the Japanese market. Plus they also had a previous console to build upon, so if MS does not make great inroads with the 360 like Sony did with the PS2, then Sony's success is certainly worth noting. However, to sit here and suggest they "can and will do no wrong" is utterly ridiculous, especially in this day and age.
You can run your mouth, or you can ante up. I say they can and will do no wrong in this round, and they will have another easy romp. Let's make a friendly PayPal bet of $5. One of the good members of this board can act as an escrow.
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

TRI
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TRI »

Kazuya wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:Here is where I guess I draw the line. I went back and re-read what you stated BEFORE my last response. I don't need you to suggest I read closer. Maybe you should consider making statements that DO NOT start out saying one thing and by the time your "compound sentence" is finished you have stated just the opposite.
You misquoted me... the sentence couldn't be clearer. If you can dream up a fair bet involving an English professor, I have no problem taking your dough. The sentence is clear.
DivotMaker wrote:So they can and will do no wrong, yet you say in the very next sentence "not that they deserve it"? Virtually every statement you make is a contradiction. To suggest a company "can and will do no wrong" is just flat out naive. I do not believe there is a SINGLE company in this world that can make such a claim. Unbelievable...
LOL... it's obviously figurative speech. The Pittsburgh Steelers can and will do no wrong... care to offer up proof to the contrary? All I know is there is not a shred of evidence that Sony can do anything wrong in the video game business, despite your incredulity. Everything they touch... has turned to gold.
DivotMaker wrote:They were in business with the PS2 a bit longer and they catered to the Japanese market. Plus they also had a previous console to build upon, so if MS does not make great inroads with the 360 like Sony did with the PS2, then Sony's success is certainly worth noting. However, to sit here and suggest they "can and will do no wrong" is utterly ridiculous, especially in this day and age.
You can run your mouth, or you can ante up. I say they can and will do no wrong in this round, and they will have another easy romp. Let's make a friendly PayPal bet of $5. One of the good members of this board can act as an escrow.

I think that it is possible but not likely the PS3 could be Sony's last console and do not believe it cannot happen because it happened to Atari and Sega. There are no sure things in this world and Sony is not invincible and they can fail. Merrill Lynch is progecting Sony to lose over 2 billion with the PS3 through 2008 and if they do not make a profit in 2009 and thereafter, they could be in serious financial trouble. Sony is not that strong financially and they can fail.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

TRI wrote:I think that it is possible but not likely the PS3 could be Sony's last console and do not believe it cannot happen because it happened to Atari and Sega. There are no sure things in this world and Sony is not invincible and they can fail. Merrill Lynch is progecting Sony to lose over 3 billion with the PS3 through 2008 and if they do not make a profit in 2009 and thereafter, they could be in serious financial trouble. Sony is not that strong financially and they can fail.
Well wouldn't you love that? If EA headquarters exploded as a bonus, you'd be in hog heaven...

The conditions under which Sega and Atari failed are gone. That was when it was a hard-core hobby, and the hard-core simply bought the best thing out as long as it was halfway decent. The NES had a big following, but people jumped quicker than a lightning bolt over to the Genesis when it came out. That will NOT happen now. Video games are mainstream. And PlayStation is the name brand. People don't play video games, they play PlayStation.
you laugh at me?" - Del

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Kazuya wrote:
No, I did not.

Kazuya wrote:LOL... it's obviously figurative speech. The Pittsburgh Steelers can and will do no wrong... care to offer up proof to the contrary? All I know is there is not a shred of evidence that Sony can do anything wrong in the video game business, despite your incredulity. Everything they touch... has turned to gold.
It is blatantly apparent that you can justify any statement you make regardless of how you state it.

As far as evidence that Sony can do wrong, I have personal experience with how "wonderful" and "perfect" they are. I own one PS2. My son uses it, I don't. However, it is our THIRD PS2 since we have had to replace the first two. Man, if that is perfection, I have some real estate for you in the Louisiana swamp....

I own TWO XBoxes. Both are ORIGINAL machines. The first one I bought on Launch day. The second one I bought for my son 2 Christmas' ago. Unlike others, I have not had a single issue with either machine, nor my 360. Sorry if I don't buy into your "Sony is perfect" argument.

Kazuya wrote:You can run your mouth, or you can ante up. I say they can and will do no wrong in this round, and they will have another easy romp. Let's make a friendly PayPal bet of $5. One of the good members of this board can act as an escrow.
Run my mouth? Who the hell do you think you are you? YOU are the one who is running off at the mouth acting like a mouthpiece for Sony. It is so irritating to see people take a perfectly objective discussion and turn it into a personal pissing contest. You can take your attitude and your bet and shove them where the sun does not shine.... :roll:

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

DivotMaker wrote:
Run my mouth? Who the f*** are you? It is so irritating to see people take a perfectly objective discussion and turn it into a personal pissing contest. You can take your attitude and your bet and shove them up your @ss.
I guess that's a no to the bet then, eh? :wink:

Hey man, you should lighten up. This is our first clash, you should see me and DB go ring around the rosey. But just like DB, I like you just fine. I'm not mad about being misquoted, or about any of this stuff. You've got to remember, no one's going to descend from the heavens and say that you are right or I am right. In the end, all we really can do is argue about it...
you laugh at me?" - Del

TRI
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TRI »

Kazuya wrote:
TRI wrote:I think that it is possible but not likely the PS3 could be Sony's last console and do not believe it cannot happen because it happened to Atari and Sega. There are no sure things in this world and Sony is not invincible and they can fail. Merrill Lynch is progecting Sony to lose over 3 billion with the PS3 through 2008 and if they do not make a profit in 2009 and thereafter, they could be in serious financial trouble. Sony is not that strong financially and they can fail.
Well wouldn't you love that? If EA headquarters exploded as a bonus, you'd be in hog heaven...

The conditions under which Sega and Atari failed are gone. That was when it was a hard-core hobby, and the hard-core simply bought the best thing out as long as it was halfway decent. The NES had a big following, but people jumped quicker than a lightning bolt over to the Genesis when it came out. That will NOT happen now. Video games are mainstream. And PlayStation is the name brand. People don't play video games, they play PlayStation.

It does not matter how many PS3 units Sony sells, if it is not profitable it will fail. Profits do matter and the PS3 will not be profitable for years. Sony's total profits for the last three years is 1.86 billion and they will lose over 2 billion over the next three years with the PS3. Sega failed because they had too much debt and the same could happen to Sony in the future.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Kazuya wrote: I guess that's a no to the bet then, eh? :wink:

Hey man, you should lighten up. This is our first clash, you should see me and DB go ring around the rosey. But just like DB, I like you just fine. I'm not mad about being misquoted, or about any of this stuff. You've got to remember, no one's going to descend from the heavens and say that you are right or I am right. In the end, all we really can do is argue about it...
Lighten up? You are the one running around DSP like little Ken Kutaragi Jr. Do you work for Sony? Sure sounds like you do.

I don't dislike you. Hell, I don't even know you. You can claim I misquoted you til the cows come home. I responded to what was written in front of me. At the end of the day, you have made claims about Sony I simply disagree with due to industry as well as personal experience. No amount of your incessant pining for Sony will change mine nor others perception of them. No company is perfect. Period. If you don't get THAT, I feel sorry for you.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

TRI wrote:It does not matter how many PS3 units Sony sells, if it is not profitable it will fail. Profits do matter and the PS3 will not be profitable for years. Sony's total profits for the last three years is 1.86 billion and they will lose over 2 billion over the next three years with the PS3. Sega failed because they had too much debt and the same could happen to Sony in the future.
Too much speculation spoken as facts, friend. Truth be told, we don't know how much they are going to lose and we don't know how long that period will last. Thehe more units they sell, the more people that can buy games. Games sold means licensing, and that's where the dough is at course. I think Blu-Ray is the wild card that will determine how long Sony's initial period of operating in the black lasts. There really isn't a lot of reason to run out and buy a Blu-Ray player at this time, with so few HDTVs out there. I still think Sony will pimp the Blu-Ray, and the fact that you are getting the next generation of HD media in your PS3 as a bonus (and at half the cost of the next cheapest player, according to some reports).

Sega's not a good example... they did get off to a good start, but in addition to their financial woes they were frankly obliterated by Sony once the PS2 shipped. Along with the EA kick in the ass, they were quickly doomed. Sega *never* had the market on lock like Sony did, in fact they were drubbed pretty well with the wayward Saturn.
you laugh at me?" - Del

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Kazuya wrote:I think Blu-Ray is the wild card that will determine how long Sony's initial period of operating in the black lasts. There really isn't a lot of reason to run out and buy a Blu-Ray player at this time, with so few HDTVs out there.
Pretty sure you have misquoted yourself again. How would BluRay impact how long Sony's initial period of operating? is. This statement makes no sense. I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that either Sony nor MS will be operating in the black for several YEARS after the launch of a new console when you consider the initial cost before process improvements and the critical mass needed with software attach rates. I believe you are mistaken.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

DivotMaker wrote:
Kazuya wrote:I think Blu-Ray is the wild card that will determine how long Sony's initial period of operating in the black lasts. There really isn't a lot of reason to run out and buy a Blu-Ray player at this time, with so few HDTVs out there.
Pretty sure you have misquoted yourself again. How would BluRay impact how long Sony's initial period of operating? is. This statement makes no sense. I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that either Sony nor MS will be operating in the black for several YEARS after the launch of a new console when you consider the initial cost before process improvements and the critical mass needed with software attach rates. I believe you are mistaken.
C'mon now... I gave you a chance to let it die with my last comments. Now it looks like you're just singling me out to fight by bringing up the "misquoting" again. Let me finish up with TRI and let's *both* let this thread fade away, like everyone else has...
you laugh at me?" - Del

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Kazuya wrote:
C'mon now... I gave you a chance to let it die with my last comments. Now it looks like you're just singling me out to fight by bringing up the "misquoting" again. Let me finish up with TRI and let's *both* let this thread fade away, like everyone else has...
You game me a chance to do what? Walk away and pretend you did not make yet another contradictory statement? If I have singled you out, it is due to the fact that you continue to make contradictory or in the case above, misinformative comments. If anyone should be doing any re-reading before posting, it is you. I had the balls to admit when I misread an earlier statement of yours, but you are doing a wonderful job of dancing around accountability for some of your mis-quotes and misinformation here. This little disagreement could end very quickly if you would simply own up to your actions here.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Divot and Kaz: This thread is locked. It's not a public toilet for a lovely little pissing match.

Next time you two want to cross your streaming yellow swords over a porcelain bowl, do it via PM.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425