MLB 11 The Show a quick tidbit

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 11 The Show a quick tidbit

Post by Rodster »

Have any of you guys played Manager Mode? I tried it for the first time and man it's fun. You have quite a bit of strategy while on the field and are somewhat limited what you can instruct your batter to do but it's a nice change of pace. :)

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Rodster wrote:Have any of you guys played Manager Mode? I tried it for the first time and man it's fun. You have quite a bit of strategy while on the field and are somewhat limited what you can instruct your batter to do but it's a nice change of pace. :)
That's in the demo?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

No silly last years game. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Some lucky stiff at cheapassgamer.com found 10 copies of MLB 11 The Show PS3 placed in the clearance section by mistake for $29.99, can you say "you're fired". :lol:

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I don't know if I believe that. My store hasn't gotten our copies yet, its still a bit early, even with a set street date.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Gurantsu wrote:I don't know if I believe that. My store hasn't gotten our copies yet, its still a bit early, even with a set street date.
I was skeptical too until other CAG'ers in the area claimed they also scored a copy. :)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/sho ... p?t=288294

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Aristo wrote:
Rodster wrote:I like the warm up of the pitcher prior to entering a game or watching pitchers warming up in the bullpen.
2K has this, but I hadn't thought of it as a cool feature.

It seems like The Shows biggest strength is in excelling in the kinds of things I find are the most annoying requests by certain part of the sports gamer demographic. I'll just call it the hand towel crowd from Madden. And the game really does crank out the little things, while producing a game that a ton of folks find boring to play.

But man, if you have a friend over and what to show off how awesome your TV and the PS3 is, The Show is amazing.
Aristo I may have missed that in 2K or didn't realize it existed. How do you enable the pitcher doing warm up throws when entering the game?

I don't think of it or never have about it being a cool feature. I use it when entering a game a pitcher to gauge a pitchers effectiveness and timing of his repertoire. I get 8 pitches to try my timing and pitches without a batter in the box.

Last year I have NO idea what happened to 2K but the closers timing was off when using the analog stick. There was some type of delay and either I threw a wild pitch or a meatball. It was so bad I had to remove the closer and put in someone else from the pen. I tried it with different teams and closers and same result. I hope that gets fixed this year.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

One more week!!! One month from today is Opening Day, one week from today is Opening Day in The Show!!! I don't know which day I'm looking forward to more.

One thing I love about The Show, I know I can just dive right in to my season the day I bring it home. All-Star, default, and GO!!! Maybe make a few minor presentation tweaks along the way. At least that's how it's been the past few seasons.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Well, I finally got the hang of the analog batting, so The Show will be getting purchased alongside of 2K11 next week. I like them both for different reasons.

With the analog, I think they finally have closed in on the pitcher/batter duel that 2K has done better in recent years. I really love the pitching, man it is hard to paint the corners! Just as it should be. And now that I have my batting under control (using the Wide 3 camera), I like fighting off pitches to stay alive (something that happens to me quite often!)

Also, I think the analog fielding is really nice too. You can't just slap the right stick around, you have to try to be precise or the ball will sail on you or be offline. Very cool.

Looks like another great year for baseball games!
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

lexbur wrote:One more week!!! One month from today is Opening Day, one week from today is Opening Day in The Show!!! I don't know which day I'm looking forward to more.

One thing I love about The Show, I know I can just dive right in to my season the day I bring it home. All-Star, default, and GO!!! Maybe make a few minor presentation tweaks along the way. At least that's how it's been the past few seasons.
I'm feeling the same way -- I think I might go with Veteran analog hitting this year though, at least to start. I tried it for a game last night and had a lot more confidence (and success) at the plate. Great game -- can't wait to fire up a season with the Cards.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

On one hand I can be bored playing this game year after year then I bust out MLB 10 and you realize how good the game really is as a franchise. As nice as MLB 2K11 looks The Show still has the edge in graphics and I like the player models better in the Show.

RTTS is still off the charts for me. Started another career and was drafted by the Rays.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

There is just a different feel with the show compared to MLB2k11, that's the biggest difference to me. It will be an easy choice for me next week.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Anyone else see a blur in the ball when thrown from the outfield or long throws across the infield? I see 3 balls due to the blur whenever there's any sort of distance to the throw. My TV is not 3D capable and I made sure the 3D effects were off. Seems to be a lot of jaggies too, just not smooth around the edges.
GT = Wilk5280

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Gurantsu wrote:Well, I finally got the hang of the analog batting, so The Show will be getting purchased alongside of 2K11 next week. I like them both for different reasons.

With the analog, I think they finally have closed in on the pitcher/batter duel that 2K has done better in recent years. I really love the pitching, man it is hard to paint the corners! Just as it should be. And now that I have my batting under control (using the Wide 3 camera), I like fighting off pitches to stay alive (something that happens to me quite often!)

Also, I think the analog fielding is really nice too. You can't just slap the right stick around, you have to try to be precise or the ball will sail on you or be offline. Very cool.

Looks like another great year for baseball games!
Like you I found fighting off pitches tough until I started to use the power/contact options. Circle for contact and square for power. When I'm behind on two-strike counts I'll use contact. It greatly increases my ability to foul off balls. I use it situationally on full counts depending on the pitcher and how confident I am. I'm using the analog mode.

In one demo game, I got the Texas to pitch 45 pitches at the end of the 2nd with 4 hits. I could never do this last year.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

tjung0831 wrote:There is just a different feel with the show compared to MLB2k11, that's the biggest difference to me. It will be an easy choice for me next week.
Agree. To me, The Show just screams authentic simulated baseball, while 2K11 while much improved still seems to cater to the casual baseball fan.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

You guys are probably right, but I watch just about every Rockies game to get my true sim fix. I want to play something fun
GT = Wilk5280

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

After playing 2K11 earlier this evening, and switching back to playing a game of The Show, there's no doubt in my mind The Show is the premiere game. The lighting is just absolutely amazing. The improved player models are phenomenal. The way in which Lincicum can dominate a batter is unreal. The smoothness of the game play is unquestionable. When you put them side to side, I don't see how you can compare them. 2K11 is vastly improved, but it's the little things that The Show does exceptionally well. Can't wait until March 8th!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:After playing 2K11 earlier this evening, and switching back to playing a game of The Show, there's no doubt in my mind The Show is the premiere game. The lighting is just absolutely amazing. The improved player models are phenomenal. The way in which Lincicum can dominate a batter is unreal. The smoothness of the game play is unquestionable. When you put them side to side, I don't see how you can compare them. 2K11 is vastly improved, but it's the little things that The Show does exceptionally well. Can't wait until March 8th!
Couldn't have said it better myself. On the money.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The better example I can think of is NBA 2K vs NBA Live 09/10. NBA Live 09/10 was not a bad game, in fact it was on a upswing from previous versions. But when you put it up against NBA 2K the differences stood out in 2K's favor.

The Show wins not only on graphics and animations but all the little things it puts in the game, including little things like the announcer calling out the starting time of the game and Matt V introducing the umps. The game also gave umps personality where after a while you'll know if the ump behind the plate is consistent calling balls and strikes.

Add Road to the Show and the gap widens. Also the devs back when the PS3 version came out were allowing for gamers to submit their last names in the game which no other sports game had done before. That's pretty cool for those that got in and play RTTS. :)

I'm happy for 2K and Visual Concepts because they have clearly turned around a badly broken game from the bottom i.e. MLB 2K8/2K9 and in a couple of years have turned the franchise around to compete with Sony's game. And 2K11 is even better than last years game which was already pretty good.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

to submit their last names in the game which no other sports game had done before.
EA Sports did this with NCAA Football a couple years ago.

The show is without question the better baseball game. My problem with it is just that I feel like I'm playing the same game I played 2 or even 3 years ago. I know they've added a bunch of fine tuning and tweaks here and there, but the overall feel hasn't changed in years.
GT = Wilk5280

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

^^^ Totally different I think. What the show did was allow you to submit your last name to Sony San Diego and you can hear Matt announce your last name in the game. If EA did that then I was wrong. 8)

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Wilk5280 wrote:The show is without question the better baseball game. My problem with it is just that I feel like I'm playing the same game I played 2 or even 3 years ago. I know they've added a bunch of fine tuning and tweaks here and there, but the overall feel hasn't changed in years.

sometimes change is bad.

that said, they do need to upgrade RTTS

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

vinny-b wrote: sometimes change is bad.

Vinny if you have a OS account you should suggest that to the devs. :)

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Rodster wrote:
vinny-b wrote: sometimes change is bad.

Vinny if you have a OS account you should suggest that to the devs.
yes. One of the few remaining who have an active account. :)

actually i posted and submitted an extensive outline, before the 2011 version development cycle. Attempting to carefully itemize improvements which could be made to RTTS.

early returns are, they decided to apply window dressing instead. Changing RTTS point allocation, etc.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

sportdan30 wrote:After playing 2K11 earlier this evening, and switching back to playing a game of The Show, there's no doubt in my mind The Show is the premiere game. The lighting is just absolutely amazing. The improved player models are phenomenal. The way in which Lincicum can dominate a batter is unreal. The smoothness of the game play is unquestionable. When you put them side to side, I don't see how you can compare them. 2K11 is vastly improved, but it's the little things that The Show does exceptionally well. Can't wait until March 8th!
Agreed
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM