HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by Jimmydeicide »

vader29 wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:So who's the twat that added stupid celebrations after i make a putt now ? FFS. Can i turn that s*** off? I don't need to see my golfer jump in the air when he just made a double bogey or put a 1 finger in the air when his fingers look like the monster from M. Night Shyamalan The Village.
I want this celebration in an update:

I'm sure its already in there you just haven't had a triple bogey yet.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Tried to play last night for the first time in a bit. IDK what happened but I'm having all sorts of graphical issues on the PC and trust me my machines previously ate this game up and s*** it out. Stuttering on back swing, lag on swing from pulling stick until it registers, major screen shift in that I'll be looking at the green or course and then the whole screen just shifts in missing frames.

Totally weird that this just started. I'm starting to feel less and less desire to play this game anyway but this isn't helping.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:Tried to play last night for the first time in a bit. IDK what happened but I'm having all sorts of graphical issues on the PC and trust me my machines previously ate this game up and s*** it out. Stuttering on back swing, lag on swing from pulling stick until it registers, major screen shift in that I'll be looking at the green or course and then the whole screen just shifts in missing frames.

Totally weird that this just started. I'm starting to feel less and less desire to play this game anyway but this isn't helping.
Did you download and install the update, then reboot?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DivotMaker wrote:
Danimal wrote:Tried to play last night for the first time in a bit. IDK what happened but I'm having all sorts of graphical issues on the PC and trust me my machines previously ate this game up and s*** it out. Stuttering on back swing, lag on swing from pulling stick until it registers, major screen shift in that I'll be looking at the green or course and then the whole screen just shifts in missing frames.

As far as i know the PC update came out last week, I didn't see another update so yes I have rebooted many times. I remember distinctly downloading the update because all of the sudden my game had field of vision enabled, WTF wants that in a golf game I have no idea.

Edit: I meant depth of field, the crap where some of the scene becomes kind of blurry.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:

As far as i know the PC update came out last week, I didn't see another update so yes I have rebooted many times. I remember distinctly downloading the update because all of the sudden my game had field of vision enabled, WTF wants that in a golf game I have no idea.

Edit: I meant depth of field, the crap where some of the scene becomes kind of blurry.
Ok...not sure what is going on....mine is running fine....Hyperion Fields is kicking my @ss though....hope you figure it out.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DivotMaker wrote:
Ok...not sure what is going on....mine is running fine....Hyperion Fields is kicking my @ss though....hope you figure it out.
Yeah I actually quit mid second round because of all the lag and stuttering.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
vader29 wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:So who's the twat that added stupid celebrations after i make a putt now ? FFS. Can i turn that s*** off? I don't need to see my golfer jump in the air when he just made a double bogey or put a 1 finger in the air when his fingers look like the monster from M. Night Shyamalan The Village.
I want this celebration in an update:

I'm sure its already in there you just haven't had a triple bogey yet.
Oh, that'd be awesome. I'd like the swing animation, too...lol.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Finished the round at Hyperion. I really have a dislike for 187 greens, especially greens with alot of slope.

Not sure how much I will get to play this weekend and next week as we are hunkering down hoping to dodge Hurricane Harvey's wrath here in the Houston area....

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DivotMaker wrote:Finished the round at Hyperion. I really have a dislike for 187 greens, especially greens with alot of slope.
I do as well... the last version of Hyperion Fields I played had medium-fast greens and played very well. The greens are too sloped there for 187 greens. I 3-putted the last green of round one from 8 feet, mostly because of a phantom right to left slope that I suspected was there, but didn't play enough phantom break to compensate for because of how hot the greens are.
Not sure how much I will get to play this weekend and next week as we are hunkering down hoping to dodge Hurricane Harvey's wrath here in the Houston area....
Looks like you're going to be out of the path of the really high winds, but you never know what sort of problems a storm of that magnitude can entail.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:Finished the round at Hyperion. I really have a dislike for 187 greens, especially greens with alot of slope.
I do as well... the last version of Hyperion Fields I played had medium-fast greens and played very well. The greens are too sloped there for 187 greens. I 3-putted the last green of round one from 8 feet, mostly because of a phantom right to left slope that I suspected was there, but didn't play enough phantom break to compensate for because of how hot the greens are.
Looks like you're going to be out of the path of the really high winds, but you never know what sort of problems a storm of that magnitude can entail.
They are now forecasting 15-30 inches of rain in Houston.....Can you say "disaster?"

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yes, I can! Should be a "fun" time this weekend.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:Yes, I can! Should be a "fun" time this weekend.
Did you end up taking that job there? Don't remember seeing the outcome. If so, great timing! It's a sign.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

[quote="J_Cauthen"]
I 3-putted the last green .

8O 8O you 13 putted? :lol: you suck!!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote: I 3-putted the last green .

8O 8O you 13 putted? :lol: you suck!!
Maybe I need to go back and edit that :mrgreen: I'll have you know I've done no worse than a 7-putt in TGC 2, and I've only done that twice! :oops: :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I played with your ghost in round 2... I started the first hole with a one stroke lead and left it one stroke behind. You were surgically destroying the course while I was stumbling miserably. At one point in the round, you were -11, and I was +4. Your record setting pace made my pathetic play feel even more inept!

This game can be such a roller coaster ride at times, but I think that's what keeps me interested in playing it 8)

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:

I played with your ghost in round 2... I started the first hole with a one stroke lead and left it one stroke behind. You were surgically destroying the course while I was stumbling miserably. At one point in the round, you were -11, and I was +4. Your record setting pace made my pathetic play feel even more inept!

This game can be such a roller coaster ride at times, but I think that's what keeps me interested in playing it 8)
Yep and sometimes that roller coaster comes off the rails....LOL.

But it somehow captures the essence of what can happen during a round of Golf....or a tournament.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:Yeah I actually quit mid second round because of all the lag and stuttering.
Since the update, I rarely have any stuttering during the backswing and prior to impact. Sometimes I'll get some animation freezing right after impact, like a few animation frames are being skipped. Then there are times when the camera makes some stuttering pans and shifts, after I've hit the right D-pad to shift to the reverse angle downrange camera.

What you are describing is what I used to see a lot of in the PS4 version. The patch eliminated that from from it, but it still suffers the after shot stuttering I'm seeing in the PC version, only with greater frequency. Again, in neither case does the stuttering impact the swing because it never happens after the take away starts for the backswing, nor before impact.

Ironically, the smoothest playing version of the game right now is the XBox One version. I rarely see any stuttering in the swing or even the post shot animations with it post patch. I'd also say that the XBox One and PS4 versions are pretty much on par in frame rate, although they can each get bogged down in object laiden courses, where my PC can keep the frame rates in the mid 40's or higher. Most of the time my PC keeps things in the 60's.

I wish I knew what to tell you Dan. I've seen people with much better PCs than me have considerably more problems with stuttering and lag than I do. I suspect there's some network stuff going on here that are beyond my knowledge level to diagnose. I suspect that The Golf Club 2 would have much smoother performance if its courses were all stored on your PC, as they are in JNPG, but that would limit the variety of courses to a much smaller range than what we now have.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

It's getting lonely in the DSP PS4 Society now. We had two and three participants (myself included) in the Dailies this week, and so far, I'm the only one to post a score in the weekly. I'm now through 36 holes in it. I've noticed the buzz in the official forum around the PS4 version is off also. Are most PS4 owners not feeling TGC 2, or is that my imagination?

I can say that right now, the PS4 version is the least desirable to play. It has the most stutter of the three, and suffers from washout with TGC 2's new lighting engine on many courses. There seems to be a better overall color balance and contrast range in the XBox One version.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

J_Cauthen wrote:It's getting lonely in the DSP PS4 Society now. We had two and three participants (myself included) in the Dailies this week, and so far, I'm the only one to post a score in the weekly. I'm now through 36 holes in it. I've noticed the buzz in the official forum around the PS4 version is off also. Are most PS4 owners not feeling TGC 2, or is that my imagination?

I can say that right now, the PS4 version is the least desirable to play. It has the most stutter of the three, and suffers from washout with TGC 2's new lighting engine on many courses. There seems to be a better overall color balance and contrast range in the XBox One version.
For me there is still a frame skipping occasionally in the backswing when putting on both the PS4 and PC versions of TGC2. It causes me to hit a 3 foot putt 15 feet past the hole. Needless to say, very frustrating! :evil:

I have to agree with ADX321 in that success with the tempo swing in this game is very much determined by the condition and/or model of your controller. I have 4 PS4 controllers and they all work differently in the game. I thought that buying a new controller would help me hit consistently within and close or on the line in the cone but it is the worst of the 4 that I own.

When I concentrate on getting P/P tempo I'm no where near the center line and sometimes not even in the cone. When I concentrate on keeping my swing straight my tempo is way off.

Then there's the lack of pause and acceleration through the swing. In TGC1 the swing allowed for a pause (although too long of a pause) at the top of the swing and acceleration (although too much acceleration) through the swing that somewhat mimics my IRL swing. Consequently, I'm having a hard time performing the swing in TGC2 from a pure gaming perspective and not a realistic perspective.

I'm still playing TGC2 (but not nearly as much as I played TGC1) but sadly I'm actually looking forward more to the release of Everybody's Golf (despite it's 3 click swing and goofy animations :( ) than my next round of TGC2. :?

-MERACE

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:For me there is still a frame skipping occasionally in the backswing when putting on both the PS4 and PC versions of TGC2. It causes me to hit a 3 foot putt 15 feet past the hole. Needless to say, very frustrating! :evil:
That would be a show stopper... I'm not seeing that anymore on any version. The worst swing affecting anomaly I see happens most often on the PS4, and that's when I start the stick motion for the backswing and there's a lag between the motion and the animation. As soon as that happens I stop the swing, settle out, and start it again. It never happens after the brief pause. It's annoying that I have to do this, and it happens some on the PC version, and maybe once or twice on the XB1, post patch.
I have to agree with ADX321 in that success with the tempo swing in this game is very much determined by the condition and/or model of your controller. I have 4 PS4 controllers and they all work differently in the game. I thought that buying a new controller would help me hit consistently within and close or on the line in the cone but it is the worst of the 4 that I own.
You know I've got an arsenal of controllers and I agree with this whole-heartedly! I swear to you Mark, if I didn't have a Nacon Revolution Pro controller for the PS4 version, I wouldn't be playing it. It's built like a premium version of the XBox 360 controller and having that high left thumbstick is a lifesaver to me, a left thumbstick swinger. I get a little heavy handed with it putting because it's not a sensitive as the DS4, but I don't have a lot of tempo management problems with it.

I can't keep the swing in the shot cone EVER with the left thumbstick of the DS4 controller, but that's partly because of my ineptitude with the lower left thumbstick mounting position and partly because the stick is more sensitive.

I've got a wireless XBox 360 Silver Edition controller that works great for me with the PC version, but I've also got 5 other XBox 360 controllers that I couldn't break 80 with on the PC! I can use the Elite controller with the PC version with about the same success as the Silver Edition controller, but I've got an inexplicable attachment to the feel of the Silver Edition's left thumbstick. I've got one of three XBox One controllers that I can use with moderate success in both the XBox One and PC versions. The other two would relegate me to the bottom quartile :?

The Elite controller is money for me on the XBox One version. I can average par with one of my XBox One controllers, but I'm a good 5 to 6 strokes better, on average, with the Elite on the XBox One version.
Then there's the lack of pause and acceleration through the swing. In TGC1 the swing allowed for a pause (although too long of a pause) at the top of the swing and acceleration (although too much acceleration) through the swing that somewhat mimics my IRL swing. Consequently, I'm having a hard time performing the swing in TGC2 from a pure gaming perspective and not a realistic perspective.
I wish we could have a brief pause at the top of the backswing in TGC 2. It would feel more natural to me. I would also like to have the acceleration component, but they seen to have a hard time modeling that.
I'm still playing TGC2 (but not nearly as much as I played TGC1) but sadly I'm actually looking forward more to the release of Everybody's Golf (despite it's 3 click swing and goofy animations :( ) than my next round of TGC2. :?
I'm still getting into TGC 2, but only because I have a controller solution that fills in the gaps on each platform, and I seem to be getting pretty solid network performance out of it. I hate that the success of TGC 2 is so conditional on controller and network performance.

I've got Everybody's Golf on pre-order ($32) with Amazon Prime, but the more I read, the more I'm starting to suspect that they're not going to have Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational's advanced swing meter option in which the golfer swung the club in real time, and your power click HAD to be made from judging from the animation. The lower half of the swing had a graduated swing meter on it, but you could still watch the golfer instead of the blip on the meter for the final press. If all they're going to have a is a horizontal, non real-time swing meter, I'll be cancelling my order.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Today may be my last day playing this or any game for a while.

Hurricane Harvey is delivering a haymaker to the Houston area. Where i live we have had 18+ inches of rain since Friday. They are forecasting 23 more inches between now and Tuesday.

Water has flooded our street and is 1/3 the way up our yard and it is pouring.

See you guys on the other side whenever that may be.....

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

DivotMaker wrote: See you guys on the other side whenever that may be.....
Ugh, good luck man! Stay safe.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

DivotMaker wrote:Today may be my last day playing this or any game for a while.

Hurricane Harvey is delivering a haymaker to the Houston area. Where i live we have had 18+ inches of rain since Friday. They are forecasting 23 more inches between now and Tuesday.

What part of town are you in? I'm near 288/518 on the west side of Pearland, and so far we've missed several of Mother Nature's bullets. I work in Clear Lake, and it doesn't look good...

Good luck with the water and may it stop short of your door!

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

F308GTB wrote:

What part of town are you in? I'm near 288/518 on the west side of Pearland, and so far we've missed several of Mother Nature's bullets. I work in Clear Lake, and it doesn't look good...

Good luck with the water and may it stop short of your door!
Richmond area off 99 and S.Mason Road.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

You and me both. Our street was a river last night. Good luck man.