OT: Apple Tablet Tomorrow - Mgraw-Hill CEO soon to be dead

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

RallyMonkey wrote: But i gotta be honest, that video really made me feel even less like i wanted this thing. At least right now.
But it makes great tasting Salsa. :lol:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I never should have started browsing the iPad apps on iTunes. Some cool stuff there.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

RallyMonkey wrote: As would catching a movie/tv show, but again, if i'm home why wouldn't i just stream it from my laptop to my Apple TV and onto my 52" tv.
There was some hope that Apple would cut a deal to offer a subscription plan for something like $30 a month which would let you stream TV shows from a number but maybe not all the networks.

They apparently couldn't cut that deal so they were also trying to reduce TV shows to 99 cents. Still too much to replace your cable or satellite subscription.

I think if it had enough storage and an HDMI out and a good content deal where you could get 720p TV shows and movies for less than cable or satellite, then ideally you could use it on the go and also at home, the same media for watching on your HDTV or on a flight. (if the studios had their way, you'd be buying the DVD/Blu-Ray for home and digital download for the road, although some studios may put on their Blu-Ray releases digital download files optimized for iPad now, instead of just the iPhone/iPod Touch)

But they couldn't pull any of that off. So now all you can do is convert rips to the iPad (no doubt tools like Handbrake will be updated with iPad presets) for use on those flights.

If you really can get 10 hours as claimed, that would be useful on long flights.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Well I'll be getting it so I'll post some impressions tomorrow morning.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

JRod wrote:Well I'll be getting it so I'll post some impressions tomorrow morning.
Bring 'em on!!

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Here I sit, typing my first DSP post on my new 64GB iPad. And what can I say that any of you wouldn't expect from the resident Apple fanboy...This thing is awesome! It may not strike the world immediately, but this device and the flood of copycats behind it are going to radically change the world of computing and technology in the next few years. There is just something about a simple window into software, and the web, that makes using it feel right.

I'll have more soon, but as you can see I'm able to type pretty comfortably and just enjoy this as the ideal alternative to a laptop for 90% of what I do when I'm not working...Apple did it again!
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

So I'm typing this from my iPad.

Right now I'm doing the what jobs did in his presentation typing this while sitting on a futon. The angles while typing isn't the best. You really need to be as Jobs was sitting or have a cover that props it up. Typing isn't hake bad. The key board is large but I don't think you will be able to type with your hands in the normal keyboard way. On the iPhone, I have problems hitting the space bar and caps when I don't want to...and that's happening here.

As for the device, it's heavy then you would expect but not heavy. The Home buttons is going to be a problem becuase just like 1st gen iPhones the home button was displaced and felt pushed back. The home button in the iPad feels cheaper. The one I played with at the store already had that happen.

Now for the good. It's really like holding a memo pad or something. It feels good. The screen is great to look at.

I've just messed around with a few apps and some like Yahoo are gorgeous! The NY Times app is a better for me because I like to read websites, or news sites, like they are newspapers. Web browsing doesn't do that.

I'll post more later but here's my very early impression. It really does feel like a different way to consume music, books, the Internet. It feels like you have a half-folded newspaper in your hands. This is a consumption device not a creation device but so far in the hours that I have had it, it makes you feel more connected to information (apps, sites) or at least it's feels more natural than using a PC/Mac.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Sport73 wrote:Here I sit, typing my first DSP post on my new 64GB iPad. And what can I say that any of you wouldn't expect from the resident Apple fanboy...This thing is awesome! It may not strike the world immediately, but this device and the flood of copycats behind it are going to radically change the world of computing and technology in the next few years. There is just something about a simple window into software, and the web, that makes using it feel right.

I'll have more soon, but as you can see I'm able to type pretty comfortably and just enjoy this as the ideal alternative to a laptop for 90% of what I do when I'm not working...Apple did it again!
What extras did you get sport? I got the apple cover but I may return it.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I initially had no interest, but I'm starting to think I really need one.

:lol:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

MizzouRah wrote:I initially had no interest, but I'm starting to think I really need one.

:lol:
:D

I know what you are feeling....Urge to buy newest cool thing growing...Must fight...

Good luck and Stay strong bro! :P

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

XXXIV wrote:
:D

I know what you are feeling....Urge to buy newest cool thing growing...Must fight...

Good luck and Stay strong bro! :P
It's a good thing they are so expensive. Right now the mrs says no way.. now I will do what I normally do and put a picture of one on the refridgerator to remind her I must get one!

:P

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Sport73 wrote:It may not strike the world immediately, but this device and the flood of copycats behind it are going to radically change the world of computing and technology in the next few years.
Gee, you mean like the Table PC? I thought Tablet PCs were underpowered laptops, and I feel the same about the iPad. But you Apple geeks certainly think Apple creates innovative products when in reality all they do is copy and evolve them.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Those Tablet PCs were higher-priced laptops, mostly over $1000 even as laptop prices dropped way below $1000.

Plus they ran PC apps. which were designed for use with mouse, not touch.

They were thick and heavy and got poor battery life. The accounts so far is that iPad gets as good battery life as advertised (10 hours) or even better and that it's fast.

PC vendors like Dell and HP are going to reboot their tablet efforts and try to match iPad's price. They will probably have Atom processors which should be much faster than any ARM-based processor (but more power hungry).

So the comparisons should be made to tablets to come this year, not those old ones which didn't sell at all.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB wrote:
Sport73 wrote:It may not strike the world immediately, but this device and the flood of copycats behind it are going to radically change the world of computing and technology in the next few years.
Gee, you mean like the Table PC? I thought Tablet PCs were underpowered laptops, and I feel the same about the iPad. But you Apple geeks certainly think Apple creates innovative products when in reality all they do is copy and evolve them.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

F308GTB wrote:
Gee, you mean like the Table PC? I thought Tablet PCs were underpowered laptops, and I feel the same about the iPad. But you Apple geeks certainly think Apple creates innovative products when in reality all they do is copy and evolve
So where is the innovation coming from; MS, google, yahoo? Call me nuts but isn't the droid a clone of the iPhone. Google is moving the industry forward on a lot of other apps and ideas. Apple is doing the same. The iPad will create a flood of new devices to capture the tablet movement.

I think the problem isn't apple but that apple releases products the instantly change the market. And any company, ms, google, yahoo, are free to create a product which is more successful than apples offerings. But so far apple is releasing consumer electronic products that are successful but also please the purchasers. Other companies are free to knock apple off the perch but they haven't yet. And I bet if there was something better than the iPad people would migrate to that.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

JRod wrote:
Sport73 wrote:Here I sit, typing my first DSP post on my new 64GB iPad. And what can I say that any of you wouldn't expect from the resident Apple fanboy...This thing is awesome! It may not strike the world immediately, but this device and the flood of copycats behind it are going to radically change the world of computing and technology in the next few years. There is just something about a simple window into software, and the web, that makes using it feel right.

I got the Apple case because I like having the ability to prop it up for typing and tilted even more for video viewing; it provides a snug fit around the iPad, but there isn't a lot of padding, so i will still be sure not to drop this precious thing.

I understand the haters who just don't 'get it' in terms of the appeal or uniqueness of the iPad, but for me it truly is exactly what I was looking for in a device for instances where a laptop was too much and an iPhone too little.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

:lol: ....Now were having fun.

Apple vs MS

Apple vs Google

Apple vs Yahoo

Apple vs Jesus

Ill take Apple and the lay the 10 points!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

MizzouRah wrote: now I will do what I normally do and put a picture of one on the refridgerator to remind her I must get one!

:P
Thats actually not a bad idea. 8)

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

XXXIV wrote::lol: ....Now were having fun.

Apple vs MS

Apple vs Google

Apple vs Yahoo

Apple vs Jesus

No that's not what I was trying to imply. My point is that any of these companies are free to make a better product. Better than the iPad, 360, droid, google search etc. Right now the iPad idoes not have much if any competition in the slate market. That will change and google, ms, Sony might make a better product. The ms courier looks very intriguing from the concept videos. Build a better product and they will buy it.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Sport73 wrote:
JRod wrote:

I got the Apple case because I like having the ability to prop it up for typing and tilted even more for video viewing; it provides a snug fit around the iPad, but there isn't a lot of padding, so i will still be sure not to drop this precious thing.

I understand the haters who just don't 'get it' in terms of the appeal or uniqueness of the iPad, but for me it truly is exactly what I was looking for in a device for instances where a laptop was too much and an iPhone too little.
I just didn't like how the apple case felt. Kind of like an executive notepad which takes away from the feel of it. I hope they come out with a slim cover like some of the plastic ones for the iPhone so it still feels the same but you protect it.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

JRod wrote:
XXXIV wrote::lol: ....Now were having fun.

Apple vs MS

Apple vs Google

Apple vs Yahoo

Apple vs Jesus

No that's not what I was trying to imply. My point is that any of these companies are free to make a better product. Better than the iPad, 360, droid, google search etc. Right now the iPad idoes not have much if any competition in the slate market. That will change and google, ms, Sony might make a better product. The ms courier looks very intriguing from the concept videos. Build a better product and they will buy it.
I know!...I was just having a bit of fun with "The passion of the Apple" as the more I read and hear about it the more I want to go buy this thing that I clearly dont need for anything but for having one...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

XXXIV wrote: I know!...I was just having a bit of fun with "The passion of the Apple" as the more I read and hear about it the more I want to go buy this thing that I clearly dont need for anything but for having one...
I was kidding myself. I have no interest in the product or company. Some may even view me as the Apple Antichrist.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Rodster wrote:
XXXIV wrote: I know!...I was just having a bit of fun with "The passion of the Apple" as the more I read and hear about it the more I want to go buy this thing that I clearly dont need for anything but for having one...
I was kidding myself. I have no interest in the product or company. Some may even view me as the Apple Antichrist.
Wow never seen someone admit to trolling before. This has to a first on the internet. :D

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Anyone use it in the bathroom yet?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I hated having to work on those f*ing tablet pc's. Most of them were poorly designed.

The appeal to me, is ease of use and plenty of cool apps to go along with it... match that up with 3G access when there is no WIFI available and it sounds like something I would definitely get some use out of.

I just can't see paying $829 for the one I want at this point in time. :)