OT: Racing 2016 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Racing 2016 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by F308GTB »

XXXIV wrote:Crazy but Im glued to Verstappen instead of NFL.

Just sets fastest lap. Hes crazy good in rain.

Edit: Just took third...Crazy.
Not a Verstappen fan in the slightest, but he did turn in a world class drive today. Driving alternative lines probably threw off a lot of the other drivers. Vettel complaining about getting pushed off when he bullied Max a few turns earlier was hypocrisy at its finest.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Verstappen's charge today was incredible. On one hand I wish Red Bull hadn't f'd up by trying inters since he could have been taking the challenge to Mercedes - would have loved to see Hamilton have to push as well. But on the other hand, if they hadn't screwed up he doesn't have to work his way through the field.

Fitting that it happened in Brazil since it was reminiscent of Senna, both at Monaco in the Toleman and his McLaren win at Donington.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

The newly-revealed Mazda DPI looks awesome, already can't wait for the Rolex 24.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:The newly-revealed Mazda DPI looks awesome, already can't wait for the Rolex 24.

Definitely. Manufacturer-specific bodywork with direct styling cues to the automaker's street cars. Do you think NASCAR or IndyCar could learn lessons from that? Nah ...

I only wish all prototypes could ditch the engine cover fin. But I understand why they need to be there, enhancing driving stability.

Expect to see another sexy, manufacturer-bodied DPi being unveiled in the next week or two.

IMSA really has it going with this new DPi formula. Many in the motorsports world thought IMSA was nuts to break from the ACO for its new-look prototype class. :) Now Le Mans is down to just two manufacturers in P1, while automakers are lining up to build DPi's for IMSA, with their lower cost and unique manufacturer styling cues.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Dave wrote:The newly-revealed Mazda DPI looks awesome, already can't wait for the Rolex 24.
Striking resemblance to the legendary rx7. NOTHING sounds as bad ass as a fast rotary motor

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It looks like Sepang will be leaving the F1 calendar after 2017. They blame a drop in attendance along with a 10 fold increase to host the race since they first started hosting.

JJ won his 7th title but does anyone care anymore? I predicted long ago that Nascar alienating their core southern roots would bite them in the ass. They went after the big TV revenue and sponsorship deals which brought about The Chase for the Cup and the failed Car of Tomorrow. Now Nascar has no title sponsor for next year, they have declining TV ratings and attendance is way down at every track including Bristol which was a guaranteed sellout every year. Nascar has been homogenized and crowns champions no one cares about with the exception of "Smoke" or Jeff Gordon or fan favorite Dale Jr.

As for Indycars, I don't even recognize the series or cars anymore.

F1 racing is a farce with one team dominating once the rules change and my odds on favorite to win everything next year is Red Bull. The only series that has competitive and entertaining racing is MotoGP. I can't speak for the WEC since I haven't watched it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That's a shame about Sepang. Great circuit, one of the few Tilkedromes worth a damn. But Bernie has a 10 percent ANNUAL escalator clause in the rights fee with every race except Monaco. And tracks eventually reach the breaking point, even those with government funding like Sepang. The escalator clause was the main reason IMS told Bernie to take a hike with the USGP after 2007. It was impossible for IMS to make money with Bernie's climbing rights fees and the FOM earning all proceeds from Paddock Club hospitality, signage, TV and advertising. That leaves tracks with just tickets, concessions, parking and lesser hospitality to make money, and it's not enough.

Agree with Cup and IndyCar. MotoGP provides more thrills in one weekend than those series do for nearly an entire season. WEC is a very solid series with great technical variety and balls-out racing, but it's a big ask to request younger fans to follow a race for four to six hours or longer in these days of limited attention spans.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Forgot to mention that Robert Kubica wants to try WEC but now he thinks his arm limitations after his Rally crash will hinder his efforts. And supposedly Capt Morgan is dropping more hints that he's on his way to the WEC after Formula 1.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Forgot to mention that Robert Kubica wants to try WEC but now he thinks his arm limitations after his Rally crash will hinder his efforts. And supposedly Capt Morgan is dropping more hints that he's on his way to the WEC after Formula 1.
Kubica is a tempting prospect. His arm creates problems, but he tested a WEC LMP 2 car last week and was quicker than the team's regular driver.

Oh, what could have been for Bob in F1.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Kubica is a tempting prospect. His arm creates problems, but he tested a WEC LMP 2 car last week and was quicker than the team's regular driver.

That's good to know regarding his test. Agreed, regarding what could have been. It wasn't until hee drove the wheels off that Renault clunker in Monaco that everyone in the paddock knew he was special.

When does the WEC season start? Is the series broadcasting the races free? I've been watch a lot of different racing categories via the "Livestream app" on Apple TV. Pretty cool to watch live races from Macau, NHRA Funny Cars/Top Fuel dragsters.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:Kubica is a tempting prospect. His arm creates problems, but he tested a WEC LMP 2 car last week and was quicker than the team's regular driver.

That's good to know regarding his test. Agreed, regarding what could have been. It wasn't until hee drove the wheels off that Renault clunker in Monaco that everyone in the paddock knew he was special.

When does the WEC season start? Is the series broadcasting the races free? I've been watch a lot of different racing categories via the "Livestream app" on Apple TV. Pretty cool to watch live races from Macau, NHRA Funny Cars/Top Fuel dragsters.
WEC runs from April through November. 2016 season just ended last weekend. Fox Sports 1 and FS2 carry it in North America. You can stream it live via a pay package from WEC, much like Dorna does for MotoGP.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Is anyone expecting a decent final f1 race? I think it would be hilarious if Nico went all Schumacher and took Hamilton out at turn 1.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:Is anyone expecting a decent final f1 race? I think it would be hilarious if Nico went all Schumacher and took Hamilton out at turn 1.
Nico needs to stay out of trouble, and it's his. Of course, his car could break. But you don't think for a second that a German manufacturer, with a former Austrian World Champion carrying huge weight in its F1 team, doesn't want the German citizen to take home his first title?

I think the race will be an anticlimactic Merc parade. A microcosm of this season. I hope I'm wrong.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

That's the main gripe I have with f1. There's just no real competition or drama. Only 3 or 4 teams have a legit chance to win a race, much less a title. Jimmie Johnson has dominated Neckcar, but he isn't guaranteed to win each race. Barring mechanical failure, every race is Mercedes to lose. I guess that's awesome if you're a Mercedes bobo, but for someone looking for some great racing, it's a drag. I'm a Honda guy at heart, but seeing McLaren dominate would bore me, not excite me. David Hobbes even said it last week about a driver possibly going to manor "sure you're in f1, but that's pretty much it", meaning you have NO chance to even score a point, much less win. Half the teams in f1 are meaningless. If they only allowed Mercedes, Ferrari and red bull to race, no one would go to watch 6 cars. F1 is about money and parody is impossible, but this is just bad.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:That's the main gripe I have with f1. There's just no real competition or drama. Only 3 or 4 teams have a legit chance to win a race, much less a title. Jimmie Johnson has dominated Neckcar, but he isn't guaranteed to win each race. Barring mechanical failure, every race is Mercedes to lose. I guess that's awesome if you're a Mercedes bobo, but for someone looking for some great racing, it's a drag. I'm a Honda guy at heart, but seeing McLaren dominate would bore me, not excite me. David Hobbes even said it last week about a driver possibly going to manor "sure you're in f1, but that's pretty much it", meaning you have NO chance to even score a point, much less win. Half the teams in f1 are meaningless. If they only allowed Mercedes, Ferrari and red bull to race, no one would go to watch 6 cars. F1 is about money and parody is impossible, but this is just bad.
True. But F1 ALWAYS has been this way. People act as this is a recent phenomenon. It's not. Dominance is cyclical, but it usually lasts for four or five years before rules changes neuter top teams or the competition catches up.

Again, that's why MotoGP kicks ass. NINE different riders on a grid of just 21 won races this season, including an incredible eight consecutive races with a different winner.

Plus motorcycle racing features far more passing than auto racing, in general. The vehicles are smaller, so there's more room to race. Plus riders make more mistakes due to fewer artificial aids, and mistakes breed good racing. And motorcycle riders are beyond nuts. That always creates good racing.

Granted, Jorge Lorenzo dominated the final MotoGP race of the season at Valencia. But there were more battles for second through fifth in one 45-minute race than you may see in an entire summer of F1:

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

pk500 wrote:True. But F1 ALWAYS has been this way. People act as this is a recent phenomenon. It's not. Dominance is cyclical, but it usually lasts for four or five years before rules changes neuter top teams or the competition catches up.
I think there are a couple things fueling this misconception. The first is that the end of the V8 era was abnormally competitive, in 2012 five different teams won the first five races and Lotus picked up a win later in the season to make it six different winning teams. The tire change in 2013 tilted the second half to Red Bull, but there were still four different winners the first six races.

The second is that the cars just don't break down nearly as often as they did back in the old days. I'd hate to see how Hamilton would have reacted to driving in the 80s and 90s with how despondent he is whenever the car lets him down. Even outside of F1, drivers don't need the mechanical sympathy of previous eras - imagine how much Gilles Villeneuve would like driving a modern car.

In NASCAR, it is cool to see Johnson win title #7 but the current format is so f'ing stupid.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

pk500 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:That's the main gripe I have with f1. There's just no real competition or drama. Only 3 or 4 teams have a legit chance to win a race, much less a title. Jimmie Johnson has dominated Neckcar, but he isn't guaranteed to win each race. Barring mechanical failure, every race is Mercedes to lose. I guess that's awesome if you're a Mercedes bobo, but for someone looking for some great racing, it's a drag. I'm a Honda guy at heart, but seeing McLaren dominate would bore me, not excite me. David Hobbes even said it last week about a driver possibly going to manor "sure you're in f1, but that's pretty much it", meaning you have NO chance to even score a point, much less win. Half the teams in f1 are meaningless. If they only allowed Mercedes, Ferrari and red bull to race, no one would go to watch 6 cars. F1 is about money and parody is impossible, but this is just bad.
True. But F1 ALWAYS has been this way. People act as this is a recent phenomenon. It's not. Dominance is cyclical, but it usually lasts for four or five years before rules changes neuter top teams or the competition catches up.

Again, that's why MotoGP kicks ass. NINE different riders on a grid of just 21 won races this season, including an incredible eight consecutive races with a different winner.

Plus motorcycle racing features far more passing than auto racing, in general. The vehicles are smaller, so there's more room to race. Plus riders make more mistakes due to fewer artificial aids, and mistakes breed good racing. And motorcycle riders are beyond nuts. That always creates good racing.

Granted, Jorge Lorenzo dominated the final MotoGP race of the season at Valencia. But there were more battles for second through fifth in one 45-minute race than you may see in an entire summer of F1:

I do love moto GP, but im a car guy at heart. F1 and wrc are my go to.

Yeah, f1 is always about one or 2 dominant teams. Was Vettel really THAT good in his world beating red bull? Who knows. In recent memory we have seen ferrari, red bull and Mercedes dominate. It's gotta be a surreal job driving for manor or Renault when they are spending millions of dollars to finish in 20th spot. I wonder if those guys even think 10th place is possible. If f1 went to a setup like NASCAR where the cars were all even, that would make the racing better, but then it wouldn't be f1 anymore.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:If f1 went to a setup like NASCAR where the cars were all even, that would make the racing better, but then it wouldn't be f1 anymore.
The biggest myth in global motorsports. All NASCAR cars are not even. They're the same spec, but they're far from even. Good teams have more horsepower, better build quality, etc.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Dave wrote:In NASCAR, it is cool to see Johnson win title #7 but the current format is so f'ing stupid.
There once was a time where the number of wins in a season meant something along with consistent top finishes to earn a title. I quit following NasCrap after they whored themselves out to the TV Networks and title sponsor.

The Chase for the Cup was a joke and the COT put the final nail in the coffin with their southern base.
pk500 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:Is anyone expecting a decent final f1 race? I think it would be hilarious if Nico went all Schumacher and took Hamilton out at turn 1.
Nico needs to stay out of trouble, and it's his. Of course, his car could break. But you don't think for a second that a German manufacturer, with a former Austrian World Champion carrying huge weight in its F1 team, doesn't want the German citizen to take home his first title?
Totally agree, if anyone needs to be nervous, it's Hamilton. Having a German win a title in a German car is like having Valentino Rossi win the MotoGP title in a Ducati.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

So is everyone hoping Nico holds on for the title?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:So is everyone hoping Nico holds on for the title?
Would rather see Hamilton win. He's a better driver who has been a victim of more mechanicals than Nico. He's also better for the growth of the sport, as Rosberg has about as much charisma as an income tax form.

But honestly, I don't care. Tired of Mercedes. Already counting the days to the start of the 2017 MotoGP and WRC seasons. :)

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Never Nico.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Agree with PK, Hamilton is the better driver/champion and singlehandedly is Formula 1's best ambassador. That said, I have no hate towards Nico if he wins it. He will have earned it. He drove consistently throughout the year and several times this year beat Lewis at his best. Sure Lewis gifted several races due to mechanical issues but that's racing.

Sebastien Vettel was gifted a championship by Capt Morgan due to 1st lap accidents by Romain Grosjean and mechanical failures. That's the cruelty of Formula 1.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I think verstappen could become a top 10 driver of all time. Could see him completely dominate for years to come, assuming he's with the right team. He's young and cocky. Not sure how well that will go over with f1 fans. Villeneuve was arrogant as hell and managed to win a title at Williams. I'm also tried of Mercedes. I wish Williams or some middle of the road team could find some major breakthrough. Alternating from ferrari to red bull to Mercedes is a drag. Maybe without ron Denis Honda will get back on track. Bring back the old marlboro color scheme and go kick ass.

EffDee
Mario Mendoza

Post by EffDee »

I want Hamilton to win the championship, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. In my books he will remain the better driver than Rosberg. Kudos to Rosberg for having driven better than ever though.

I still enjoy Formula 1. There are usually good races going on somewhere on the track still. Sure the race isn't for first place, but I don't care as much as most people seem to care about that.