OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by dbdynsty25 »

grtwhtsk wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Curved edge screen and horrific finger print location. I'm out. G6 here I come.
Hi Scott. Curious as to what you are looking forward to on the G6. I've still got my iPhone 6 Plus and debating making the switch back to Android at some point soon. It's either that or try and hold off for the new iPhone in the Fall.

I also hated what I saw with the S8's finger print location. Going to be a whole lot of smudging of the camera. Not sure why they didn't at least do it like the Pixel with it being lower in the back.
Screen to body ratio (>80%) is a big thing. Basically the phone is smaller than my OnePlus 3T, yet the screen is 5.7" as opposed to 5.5". So smaller body, bigger screen (and higher res, tho this doesn't matter to me at all). The camera is also fantastic with the dual camera setup w/ the wide angle lens on one. All that and it doesn't have the ridiculous curved glass, or poorly placed fingerprint scanner, like on the new S8/S8+. I still prefer a front scanner, but w/ LGs knock on (double tap the screen to wake), it'll alleviate that complaint of mine. I work at my desk all day so my phone is sitting on my desk. I don't want to have to pick it up to wake it.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rear fingerprint scanner rules out using thumbs for authentication?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Rear fingerprint scanner rules out using thumbs for authentication?
Is this seriously a question you have?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Unless you want to flip the screen over to scan the thumb.

They get rid of the chin but many people leave their phone flat on a table or desk for much of the day so a bit of a PITA to pick it up or flip it over.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Went and checked out the S8 and S8+ at Best Buy today. Whoa. Those edge screens I hate so much are barely noticable on this model. Not nearly as curved at the edges so you don't get weird glare and color shifting like previous models. Pair that with the ridiculously fast face scanner, and I'll probably be able to get over not using the fingerprint scanner on the front.

So in short, I preordered my regular S8.

The S8+ was slightly taller than the OnePlus 3T but also slightly narrower. I really thought about going w/ the 8+ but would rather have a smaller phone. So that's how I chose.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Went and checked out the S8 and S8+ at Best Buy today. Whoa. Those edge screens I hate so much are barely noticable on this model. Not nearly as curved at the edges so you don't get weird glare and color shifting like previous models. Pair that with the ridiculously fast face scanner, and I'll probably be able to get over not using the fingerprint scanner on the front.

The S8+ was slightly taller than the OnePlus 3T but also slightly narrower. I really thought about going w/ the 8+ but would rather have a smaller phone. So that's how I chose.
Best Buy is offering $50 off the s8 and 100$ off the s8+ I read. They don't sell tmobile phones unfortunately. I am going to wait until the Note 8 drops. The S8+ seems right up my alley, so hopefully if the Note 8 doesn't blow me away, I can get an s8 in the fall. My only concern is if the exynos will be WAY better than the snapdragon like on the s7. From what I am reading, the exynos is still marginally better, but it's not night and day like the s7.

Another big thing for people who keep their phones for 2-3 years is that Samsung claims the battery on the s8 will only lose 5% of it's total capacity over 1 year of normal use. They claim that an s7 will lose 20% over that same time frame! That is crazy. If someone can manage not to drop their phone and crack the screen, the s8 could easily last them 3 years.

Any thoughts on the new iPhone? Will it feature fast charging? Will it be as revolutionary as expected? Rumors are that the iPhone will feature a finger print scanner built into the screen. Samsung is developing that, but couldn't finish it in time for the s8. That is why the fingerprint scanner is in such a weird spot. The plan is to have it ready for the Note 8. People online are speculating that if apple comes out with it first, a lot of people will claim Samsung copied them, even though they are developing it as we speak. All in all, 2017 will be an amazing year for phones!

S8
S8+
Note 8
OnePlus ?5?
IPhone 8
Pixel 2
Moto Z

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Went and checked out the S8 and S8+ at Best Buy today. Whoa. Those edge screens I hate so much are barely noticable on this model. Not nearly as curved at the edges so you don't get weird glare and color shifting like previous models. Pair that with the ridiculously fast face scanner, and I'll probably be able to get over not using the fingerprint scanner on the front.

When will you have it in hand? Very interested in your thoughts. I'm forcing myself to wait for the note 8, but the itch for the s8 is growing.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:When will you have it in hand? Very interested in your thoughts. I'm forcing myself to wait for the note 8, but the itch for the s8 is growing.
Says it arrives before 4/21...so anytime basically.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Reviews for the s8/s8+ are positive, but people are still seeing frame drops and some chugging commonly associated with touchwiz

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:Reviews for the s8/s8+ are positive, but people are still seeing frame drops and some chugging commonly associated with touchwiz
Don't you mean commonly associated with any phone that's not a Nexus/Pixel? I hate touchwiz, but it's improving every year, to where it's been usable for the past couple iterations. The 3T is pretty close to being as smooth as the Pixel, but not quite. No one can make stock Android better without taking some sort of a hit it seems.

Oh, and my S8 is out for delivery. Waiting patiently by my front door.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Got my S8+ from UPS today. Digging the early release. Accidental...?

So far - it's truly a thing of beauty. Time will tell if an annoying amount of lag starts to creep in.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:Got my S8+ from UPS today. Digging the early release. Accidental...?

So far - it's truly a thing of beauty. Time will tell if an annoying amount of lag starts to creep in.
Nope. Happens all the time w/ pre-orders. Usually people get em a few days early.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

This S8 takes a LOT of tweaking to get it to run properly. Too much extra s***, per usual from Samsung. Having used the OnePlus 3/3T for the past year, it's jarring. Had to turn off most of the extra sh*t and use my own launcher (Nova) to get it how I wanted it. And to get rid of the dumb bixby swipe left panel. Still dumb you can't re-map the bixby button to Google Assistant or something, but whatever.

Software wise, meh. Hardware = awesome.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:This S8 takes a LOT of tweaking to get it to run properly. Too much extra s***, per usual from Samsung. Having used the OnePlus 3/3T for the past year, it's jarring. Had to turn off most of the extra sh*t and use my own launcher (Nova) to get it how I wanted it. And to get rid of the dumb bixby swipe left panel. Still dumb you can't re-map the bixby button to Google Assistant or something, but whatever.

Do you have the red-tint-of-death that a lot of people on reddit are complaining about? Apparently there is an issue with some s8/s8+ screens that makes them appear really red. Samsung has said if you can't fix it via in-phone settings that they will replace the phone. Last year it was the pink line of death, this year it's red tint lol.

Yet again I am pleased as a pig in s*** with both of my $399 phones. Z Play and OP3T are a killer deal. I want an s8+ badly, though. The immersive bundle sounds awesome.

DB, I am becoming a bit of an audiophile. Did you get the immersive bundle? If not, how are the included earbuds? Apparently they are supposed to sound pretty incredible, especially compared to the older s6,s7 style white cheapo headphones.

As someone who works in a very low signal strength job, battery life is huge for me. Not because I am on my phone 10h a day like a neckbeard, but because the phone will just drain looking for signal. It's unfortunate that Samsung not only didn't make the battery larger, they made them fractionally smaller. People claim the 835 with the 10nm chip are super efficient, but from what I have seen on reddit, the battery life mirrors that of the s7/s7e. Might be enough for most people, but battery life for me is a major sticking point. The OP3T is solid, the Z Play is out of this world.

Anyone know if the s8 earbuds will be available for sale from places like tmobile or the like? I want to try them out, but NOT for their apparent $100 value.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:This S8 takes a LOT of tweaking to get it to run properly. Too much extra s***, per usual from Samsung. Having used the OnePlus 3/3T for the past year, it's jarring. Had to turn off most of the extra sh*t and use my own launcher (Nova) to get it how I wanted it. And to get rid of the dumb bixby swipe left panel. Still dumb you can't re-map the bixby button to Google Assistant or something, but whatever.

I was still surprised/impressed about how streamlined they did make the TouchWiz interface. And the customization options as well (you can turn off the Bixby swipe left thing). But yeah - I had to take 5 minutes or so to tweak and disable sh*t as well and then switch to Nova.

Still though - it's running like a champ. Super responsive. And the camera is freaking fantastic - this coming from a Pixel owner. Whatever they did in the software tweaks with this "old/outdated" camera hardware is sure impressive.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:DB, I am becoming a bit of an audiophile. Did you get the immersive bundle? If not, how are the included earbuds? Apparently they are supposed to sound pretty incredible, especially compared to the older s6,s7 style white cheapo headphones.
No red tint to my phone...overblown per usual.

I think you're confused. The Immersive bundle is the ON EAR AKG headphones and an SD card to use w/ the phone. The phone itself comes w/ the AKG earbuds, STANDARD. They are pretty good, definitely for a throw in headphone, but I won't be using them. I have been listening to audiophile quality headphones/amplifiers for years and it's good for a phone, but nothing spectacular. On par w/ the 3T I'd say.

Currently I use a Sony PHA-1A Amplifier/Dac out of the S8 w/ my VSonic GR07X headphones. That way the Sony amp/dac is doing all of the decoding. Small enough to carry w/ you, big enough to connect up to your PC/Mac for desktop listening as well. The S8 is the first Samsung in the past few iterations that does Audio over USB properly. The last few phones didn't work as Samsung tweaked something internally. Now it works properly, so I'm stoked.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:DB, I am becoming a bit of an audiophile. Did you get the immersive bundle? If not, how are the included earbuds? Apparently they are supposed to sound pretty incredible, especially compared to the older s6,s7 style white cheapo headphones.
No red tint to my phone...overblown per usual.

I think you're confused. The Immersive bundle is the ON EAR AKG headphones and an SD card to use w/ the phone. The phone itself comes w/ the AKG earbuds, STANDARD. They are pretty good, definitely for a throw in headphone, but I won't be using them. I have been listening to audiophile quality headphones/amplifiers for years and it's good for a phone, but nothing spectacular. On par w/ the 3T I'd say.

Currently I use a Sony PHA-1A Amplifier/Dac out of the S8 w/ my VSonic GR07X headphones. That way the Sony amp/dac is doing all of the decoding. Small enough to carry w/ you, big enough to connect up to your PC/Mac for desktop listening as well. The S8 is the first Samsung in the past few iterations that does Audio over USB properly. The last few phones didn't work as Samsung tweaked something internally. Now it works properly, so I'm stoked.
Sounds good. Yeah, I know how the immersive bundle works. I was specifically talking about the akg standard earbuds. People are raving about them, but they might not have ever used a quality headphone before. I was just wondering if it was worth tracking a pair down, since I assume a lot of people will be selling them on amazon in the coming weeks. The 3T has a nice onboard dac. Part of me has always wanted to try a V20, since that is supposed to be THE phone to listen to music on. I can't get into LG, though.

Glad to hear your phone doesn't have the red tint. I am afraid it's a bit more common than to say it's overblown. I've seen a LOT of cases of it so far. People can even spot it online from reviewers, or at the stores that have them on display. Samsung has addressed it, so if I wanted an s8+ I wouldn't let this issue stop me. I really feel like I am missing out. I've owned every S phone besides the S5. Just feels weird looking at my huge-bezel phones now that the infinity display has taken the world by storm. I saw the international s8+ for sale for $1,200 on amazon... lol

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Hell, I'll sell you my extra set of AKG earbuds if you want...I got my wife an S8 too and she isn't going to use her's either. :)

So I've got a brand new set still sealed.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Hell, I'll sell you my extra set of AKG earbuds if you want...I got my wife an S8 too and she isn't going to use her's either. :)

So I've got a brand new set still sealed.
Appreciate the offer. I just called a buddy @ TMO and he has a pair I can come scoop up for free. I've got some small ears, so not many earbuds really give me a good fit. I checked out the headphones you said you use daily and the amp setup and it looks nice! I'm a little tired of how heavy my ATM50X are.

I was browsing swappa and it's insane how cheap the LG G6 is. That phone is pretty much a steal, assuming something that costs $500 can be considered a steal.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:I was browsing swappa and it's insane how cheap the LG G6 is. That phone is pretty much a steal, assuming something that costs $500 can be considered a steal.
But if you buy the G6, make sure you get the Korean version as it has the same Amp/Dac that the V20 does. For some reason they left it out of the US/UK versions. If I hadn't gotten the S8, I would have went that way.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:I was browsing swappa and it's insane how cheap the LG G6 is. That phone is pretty much a steal, assuming something that costs $500 can be considered a steal.
But if you buy the G6, make sure you get the Korean version as it has the same Amp/Dac that the V20 does. For some reason they left it out of the US/UK versions. If I hadn't gotten the S8, I would have went that way.
Yep. But they took away wireless charging. Idiotic, considering even with a hifi dac and wireless charging, they were fighting a losing battle against the s8. I have no plans to buy a G6, I just find it shocking how affordable it is. I don't really like the skin LG uses, either.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Xiaomi already announced a phone with the S8 internals for half the price, but you'd have to import it:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04 ... e-for-362/

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

wco81 wrote:Xiaomi already announced a phone with the S8 internals for half the price, but you'd have to import it:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04 ... e-for-362/
Xiaomi are s***. The phones sell for dirt cheap, but a lot of them don't have all the bands you need for use here in North America. Their take on Android is also awful. I don't see any reason to buy a Xiaomi when the other Chinese phones are way more solid. I'd take a budget Haewei or a OnePlus over a Xiaomi any day of the week.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:Appreciate the offer. I just called a buddy @ TMO and he has a pair I can come scoop up for free. I've got some small ears, so not many earbuds really give me a good fit. I checked out the headphones you said you use daily and the amp setup and it looks nice! I'm a little tired of how heavy my ATM50X are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_J2dCDl_tg

That's funny. Samsung headphones w/ AKG tuning...not actually AKG headphones, lol.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I'm actually digging the stock TouchWiz launcher this time around. Sure - it's not as customizable as Nova, but it feels very similar to the Pixel Launcher. Simple and straight forward. Love the ability to hide apps in the app drawer too.

I threw on a better TW theme and it's feeling good. I suggest trying Material Dark theme.