Soccer thread 07/08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

The tournament is obviously second rate, although I wouldn't go so far as to call it worthless either. It doesn't rate because the footballing nations of the world have very different opions of it and approaches to it. As long as that's the case, it's going to be of limited quality and there's going to be foot-dragging by clubs when it comes to releasing players. Hell, there's a ton of bitching and moaning about the tourneys that everyone agrees are presigious!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

And for some countries like Argentina, whose only gold medal chance may come thru soccer, athletes will do their darnest to represent the white and blue. I don't think Messi is interested in screwing Barca's desires, but just to honestly have a chance to win a gold for his country and a GOLD trophy for any South American country is priceless.

As a footie fan, I know there are also some darn good players representing their countries, and sure it doesn't have the lustre of a WC event or European event, but nevertheless my eyes will be glued on the soccer event.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Ok, first of all Olympics are not useless, as someone mentioned. They are the second most viewed event on Earth. Planned that is, emergencies and acts of God aside. After World Cup. And I am not just talking sporting events -- overall! Out of everything that happens in the world, that's planned, this draws people's attention more than anything, beside, once again, the World Cup. That's pretty important stuff.

Olympic football is a little different from the rest of the Olympics. That's just history. It has nothing to do with the Games, since for majority of sports that are included in the OG, it is the single biggest tournament. Gold medals in track and field, swimming, gymnastics, basketball, ice skating, etc...are rated much higher at the Olympics than at their respective World Championships. It just so happened that football is not on this list. But, hey! Baseball is not in the Olympics all together.... :wink:

While I share the disdain most of you have for the IOC (two Gold medals for pairs' figure skating few years back did it for me) I cannot blame them for Olympic Football Tourney being subpar. Football is the only sport where it's Olympic Tournament is being organized, supervised and audited by another organization. FIFA runs Olympic football, and it is as sucky as they want it to be. Don't forget it is always just a month or two apart from the Euro, so Europe is always represented by just a couple of weeker teams, which doesn't add to the overall quality. FIFA made this tournament to showcase S. American, African and Asian football, as well as some exciting junior prospects. And that's all it is. But, it's football, some great players are in it, and it's the Olympics. That's enough to get me excited.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Football is the only sport where it's Olympic Tournament is being organized, supervised and audited by another organization.
FIBA runs the basketball and I know the ISU were the ones that did the double gold being awarded (although the IOC might have pressured them)

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

fsquid wrote:
Football is the only sport where it's Olympic Tournament is being organized, supervised and audited by another organization.
FIBA runs the basketball and I know the ISU were the ones that did the double gold being awarded (although the IOC might have pressured them)
FIBA organizes Olympic basketball, they don't run it. All they do is supply registrations, license the arenas and provide referees. In case of football, FIFA actually designs the format of the tournament, chooses what players get to play in it, and so on... Much more hands on. ISU was involved in the medal scandal, only because that's the organization that the judges have to be licensed by. The decision to give two medals was all IOC.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Tottenham bought Bentley for 15 million. Where does that leave Aaron Lennon? Also looks like they're going after Arshavin.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Macca00 wrote:Tottenham bought Bentley for 15 million. Where does that leave Aaron Lennon? Also looks like they're going after Arshavin.
I've said before, that I believe they are switching to a 4-3-3 with Berbatov in the middle. That's why they could let Keane go. So, you need to have a few quality wingers. Now they have Bentley, Lennon and Dos Santos. In Russian media Arshavin's deal is considered done and done, and they are saying there is a very high likelyhood of Spurs signing Pavlyuchenko as well.

DrCosta
Mario Mendoza

Post by DrCosta »

fifa 08 10 vs 10 confirmed- http://www.fifasoccerblog.com/

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

MACTEPsporta wrote:
Macca00 wrote:Tottenham bought Bentley for 15 million. Where does that leave Aaron Lennon? Also looks like they're going after Arshavin.
I've said before, that I believe they are switching to a 4-3-3 with Berbatov in the middle. That's why they could let Keane go. So, you need to have a few quality wingers. Now they have Bentley, Lennon and Dos Santos. In Russian media Arshavin's deal is considered done and done, and they are saying there is a very high likelyhood of Spurs signing Pavlyuchenko as well.
I look at the latter, and Arshavin to a lesser extent, and I think of one player.....Sergei Rebrov. And I'm not yet convinced that Juande Ramos is the messiah that Spurs fans are proclaiming him...after all, they've spent at least £100m over the last 2-3 years and didn't kick on in the league after their cup win last year.

Oh, and the papers over here are suggesting that if Spurs do get them two, then Berbatov will be on his way to The Swamp for £28m.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

City continue their European adventure with a 2-0 thrashing of a load of part time puffin-eaters from the Faroe Islands.

Best bits of the commentary were...

- Clive Tyldesley breaking the habit of a lifetime and not mentioning 'that magical night in Barcelona' even once...yes, I know MU weren't playing, but he usually manages to squeeze it in somewhere.

- the announcement that one of their subs was not only a Faroese international, but head of the Faroe Island Police Drug Enforcement unit.

To be fair, City did play well, and the 2-0 disguised 2 shots against the woodwork, a number of desperate blocks and their keeper played to at least Championship standard. Plenty of the youth team got a run out as well, which was good.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Saw that Man City drew Midtjylland which has American Danny Califf playing for them.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

City talkboards today resemble one of those travel shows where you have to get to obscure places....while being aware that beer in Denmark is a horrendous price.

Best one yet for combining reasonable beer with anything....flight to Hamburg, 6 hour train journey to wherever it is.

I also see that Spurs £20m offer for Arshavin has been turned down as too low, so they are after the other chap for £15m.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Blimey, I'm having to reply to me own posts in order to keep this thread on page 1.

Mr Forum Moderator - Can I have a ruling as to whether we should keep this thread going, or celebrate the birth of a new season with the lusty cries of a Soccer Thread 2008/09 ?

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

yes, new thread since the Championship starts on Saturday. Up the Owls!

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I was going to wait until next week...but what the heck. New thread in 3,2,1...

Soccer thread 08/09

This thread is closed.