MLB 2012 Season

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 2012 Season

Post by Diablo25 »

MizzouRah wrote:I can't wait to see what becomes of Rosenthal.
????
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It's good to see those b*tches in the American Softball league with their weak ass DH crap get their ass handed to them by a real pitching staff. NL for life.
Agreed! The Giants won with pitching and defense. Detroit fans said, "What's that?"
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Diablo25 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:I can't wait to see what becomes of Rosenthal.
????
Meaning.. will they give him a chance to be a SP (his normal role) or keep him in the bullpen where he was dominant.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

WOW.. what a run by the Giants. I was WAYYYYYYYYY off base here.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Congrats to the SF Giants! I'm absolutely shocked the Tigers didin't give them a better series. I still don't think the Giants are that strong of a team, but pitched extremely effectively and got key hits and played unbelieveable defense.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

I honestly think that if Lamont doesn't send Fielder home with nobody out in Game 2 (combined with Leyland conceding the winning run by playing the infield back in the 7th), we probably would have had a completely different series.

If Fielder isn't sent home, the Tigers have a good chance of scoring at least 1-2 that inning. Fister was incredible that night - and with a lead, perhaps things would have ended different.

Tied 1-1 and going back to Detroit would have taken the pressure off the Tigers - maybe enough to get their offense going.

But, that's the beauty of baseball....Giants had an AWESOME run - I love watching their team. Looks like they didn't need Melky after all.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They won 94 games, more than the Tigers.

For years, people (including me) questioned the approach of drafting and developing mostly pitchers. For instance the 2002 team that lost to the Angels was a much better offensive team.

It was hard to believe in pitching when Lincecum won 2 Cy Young but the team didn't even get into the playoffs in those years. Or for many years before that, all you'd hear about is all these pitching prospects. They got lucky with Sandoval (undrafted FA) and finally used a high pick on a position player with Posey.

They'd spend a ton of money on pitching and fill in the roster with mostly journeyman players. So in 2010, Cody Ross and Renteria both get hot in the playoffs (after doing nothing most of the season). This year, Scutero exceeds all expectations in the last month of the regular season and throughout the playoffs.

But throughout the history of playoffs, there have always been non-stars who become hot and win MVPs. What was more surprising was how the pitching staff in both 2010 and 2012 dominated good hitting lineups. Actually beating the Phillies and shutting down the Rangers in 2010 was more impressive because that year, the Phillies were the overwhelming favorites.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Giants won by committee, no infighting, no big egos, everyone pitched in at the right time. Kung Fu Panda in game 1, when Wilson got hurt, S. Romo took care of business. Lincecum never whined despite not being in the starting rotation, Posey always steady in his play behind the plate and of course Scutaro their MVP for the past 2 months. Congrats to the Giants, never expected a sweep but they were clearly the better team. Tigers never got their bats going in the series.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Buster Olney reporting that Marlins and Blue Jays have completed a mega deal. Looks like all that money the Marlins spent last off season has been traded.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

The Blue Jays-Marlins trade is done... This is going to be one of the all-timers, with Reyes, Johnson, Bonifacio, Buck, Buehrle...holy crow.

:lol:
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Mega deal alright. Jays always needed help in the rotation and those two dudes should help. They'll get rid of the distraction that was Yunel too and hope Reyes finds his best form in a Jays uniform. TOR does take a chunk of the salary dump from the Marlins, now hopefully they'll key in on a solid Manager.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Glad Farrell got his dream job just in time! What a deal, especially considering we still have our top 3 prospects (D'Arnaud, Sanchez, Syndergard). Best day since Joe hit it out!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote: They'll get rid of the distraction that was Yunel too...
Told you so.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Told you so.
Seen that one coming :lol:

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Told you so.
I'd still make that trade considering he put up a 4+ WAR season for us in 2011 and helped us seal this deal. However you couldn't have 2 players farther apart on the character spectrum than Yunel and Alex Gonzalez!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Let's put it this way. Among all the professional teams that suck Hoover in the city of Toronto, the Jays may be pulling away from those teams with this trade. I think AA is not done yet, they have a surplus of catchers and he may pull a couple of more trads.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Let's put it this way. Among all the professional teams that suck Hoover in the city of Toronto, the Jays may be pulling away from those teams with this trade. I think AA is not done yet, they have a surplus of catchers and he may pull a couple of more trads.
The Braves need one. They lost their badass backup, David Ross to Boston and McCann is out for a few months rehabbing his shoulder surgery.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Let's put it this way. Among all the professional teams that suck Hoover in the city of Toronto, the Jays may be pulling away from those teams with this trade. I think AA is not done yet, they have a surplus of catchers and he may pull a couple of more trads.
The Braves need one. They lost their badass backup, David Ross to Boston and McCann is out for a few months rehabbing his shoulder surgery.
What would you guys give up for Arencibia? I think TOR still needs another outfielder.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:What would you guys give up for Arencibia? I think TOR still needs another outfielder.
Unfortunately, Atlanta needs two outfielders as well (Bourn leaving and Prado moving to 3rd now that Chipper has retired). At least they have some money to spend for once. CF, LF and backup C are the Braves needs right now. They have ZERO outfield depth in the minors too...it's all pitching and infielders. Heyward was the first home grown outfield prospect that really has flourished since Andruw Jones and Jermaine Dye. Sad.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Melky signs with Jays. All in baby!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:Melky signs with Jays. All in baby!
I hate cheaters, but I guess AA wants to give him a chance. Rogers os definitely opening his wallet after years of stinginess.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

For all you Cardinal fans,new alt. home uni's http://mlb.mlb.com/cutfour/index.jsp#contentId=40316800

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

snaz16 wrote:For all you Cardinal fans,new alt. home uni's http://mlb.mlb.com/cutfour/index.jsp#contentId=40316800
Saw those on the news last night, I really like them!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh no...hope the Braves didn't overpay for BJ Upton. I mean I like the guy and all and he's a solid MLB CF, but if they went anything over 5yrs/80mil I'll be depressed. I know BJ wanted a 6th guaranteed and the Braves probably didn't do that, so the 6th would be an option. So 6/95 would be my max I'd be even close to comfortable with.

That said, if they can find a way to pry Justin Upton out of Arizona, I'll be stoked. The brothers flanking Heyward in right. That's one athletic/powerful outfield.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Reported now, 5/75. I can deal with that.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Reported now, 5/75. I can deal with that.
At least they are paying for his "prime" years.

As long as he controls his rising strikeout totals from the past few years, he should be good.

Not sure about trading Hanson for Walden (literally just happened) though. Hanson is probably not going to be what everyone hoped, but his value as a starter is certainly higher then a set-up guy. We'll see.