NHL offseason thread (free agency, draft, camp, etc.)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I like what R. Shero is doing in PIT despite losing the services of M. Hossa.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:I like what R. Shero is doing in PIT despite losing the services of M. Hossa.
Agreed. I don't see the Pens skipping a beat next season if they stay healthy. Still the team to beat in the East.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

He was public enemy number 1 in Calgary when he was playing for the 'Nucks, but this is how well respected Iggy is around the league. Bertuzzi claims to have chosen the Flames because of Iginla, both will be tough to contain, man those hated war games with Calgary will pick up another notch with Bert around.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Blackhawks. Redwings. Wrigley Field. January 1, 2009. :D
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

ScoopBrady wrote:Blackhawks. Redwings. Wrigley Field. January 1, 2009. :D
We may see the players having to take the wind into account on their shots :twisted:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Outstanding! Looking forward to it!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:He was public enemy number 1 in Calgary when he was playing for the 'Nucks, but this is how well respected Iggy is around the league. Bertuzzi claims to have chosen the Flames because of Iginla, both will be tough to contain, man those hated war games with Calgary will pick up another notch with Bert around.
Bertuzzi is a spent force. Washed up. And I would have honestly said that regardless of which team he signed with.

Not only is the guy getting old with diminished skills, he's never been the same mentally since the Steve Moore incident.

Or is Bert all of the sudden supposed to rediscover his offensive touch on one of the most anemic offensive teams in the league?

Somehow I doubt it.

Take care,
PK

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:
Outstanding! Looking forward to it!

Take care,
PK
Me too...from the comfort of my game room...no way am I going to that dump on jan 1....freezing temps and that place sound like misery.

Why not Soldier field?...at least you can take a piss there in under half an hour...Not to mention find a place to park....

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:
10spro wrote:He was public enemy number 1 in Calgary when he was playing for the 'Nucks, but this is how well respected Iggy is around the league. Bertuzzi claims to have chosen the Flames because of Iginla, both will be tough to contain, man those hated war games with Calgary will pick up another notch with Bert around.
Bertuzzi is a spent force. Washed up. And I would have honestly said that regardless of which team he signed with. Take care, PK
Definitely not the same player, but with the outrageous salaries being thrown out there, Bert at under 2 million is worth the risk.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yeah, if Jeff Freaking Finger is worth $4 million per season, then that's a worthy gamble on Bert.

Take care,
PK

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

PK will appreciate this one. If I can't see the Oilers play, I may as well see former Oilers play here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242839& ... Story_main

Smith to Ottawa.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good signing for the Sens. Gator brings a ton of grit and defensive skill. If Alfie wasn't a borderline legend as captain in Ottawa, the C would fit Gator nicely in Ottawa.

Take care,
PK

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

How about my Blues offering the finger to the Canucks tonight by signing Bernier to an offer sheet! Vancouver matched but I still love the thought of the Blues sending the payback!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:How about my Blues offering the finger to the Canucks tonight by signing Bernier to an offer sheet! Vancouver matched but I still love the thought of the Blues sending the payback!
It's all Kevin Lowe's fault -- just ask Brian Burke. :)

Take care,
PK

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

pk500 wrote:Good signing for the Sens. Gator brings a ton of grit and defensive skill. If Alfie wasn't a borderline legend as captain in Ottawa, the C would fit Gator nicely in Ottawa.

Take care,
PK
I think Smith will bring more leadership, and more importantly, mentor some of the young D, like Meszaros (if they resign him) and up and comer Brian Lee.....
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

go read the first installment of Tjunging It

www.puckhogblog.com

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The pieces of the puzzle are starting to take shape. P. Demitra signs in VAN, now M. Sundin would make up your mind already?

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

The Blues sign former Oiler Brad Winchester. The Blues have liked him for sometime and actually had a deal in place with the Oilers a few years ago to acquire him at the trade deadline but the league office botched the paperwork and the deal didn't go through in time.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Tim:

Winchester is third- or fourth-line plumber, at best. The guy has five goals and eight assists in three partial NHL seasons, with a sterling plus-minus of -21.

Winny looked absolutely lost on the ice most of his time in Edmonton, and he only played 41 games last year in Dallas.

I don't know what JD sees in him, but he does offer depth for St. Louis -- and Peoria.

What were the terms of his deal? Money? One-way or two-way?

Take care,
PK

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

pk500 wrote:Tim:

Winchester is third- or fourth-line plumber, at best. The guy has five goals and eight assists in three partial NHL seasons, with a sterling plus-minus of -21.

Winny looked absolutely lost on the ice most of his time in Edmonton, and he only played 41 games last year in Dallas.

I don't know what JD sees in him, but he does offer depth for St. Louis -- and Peoria.

What were the terms of his deal? Money? One-way or two-way?

Take care,
PK
This is totally a depth signing for the Blues farm team in Peoria. Highly unlikley he gets a call up unless we are decimated by injuries or he just lights the AHL up. The Blues have a logjam at forward right with two of our spots going to rookies T.J. Oshie and Patrik Berglund and then we also have Chris Porter and Nicolai Lemtyugov ready to play in the NHL at least on our 4th line which consists of McClement, King, and Janssen right now.
Winchester signed a two way deal...$600k if he plays in St. Louis...not sure what he's going to make in Peoria.
As of right now the Blues lines look like this
Kariya-McDonald-Boyes
Perron-Tkachuk-Oshie
Stempniak-Berglund-Backes
King-McClement-Janssen or Hinote
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

I guess this is kind of old news for our friends north of the border, but I found it amusing. It seems Canadian McDonalds had a promo with mini goaltender sticks and this was a commercial for them:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ywv_JCyolU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Tjunging It

http://www.puckhogblog.com/2008/07/11/g ... s-coyotes/

PK is gonna LOVE this one....

:wink:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sudz wrote:Tjunging It

Interesting read, but the Shane Doan-Glenn Anderson analogy is way off. Andy was a sniper and scorer -- pure and simple. He was a mid-rent district's version of Mike Bossy. Didn't play a two-way game worth a lick, but he could drive the net without fear like no one in the league.

Doan is a much better two-way player than Andy but doesn't have the wheels or the sniper-like accuracy of Anderson.

Tough to draw connections between the pipes, either. Bryzgalov isn't in Fuhr's category, and Tellqvist isn't a platoon goalie who could start for just about any other team in the league, like Andy Moog was in the 80s.

Otherwise, fun read.

Take care,
PK

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

pk500 wrote:
Sudz wrote:Tjunging It

Interesting read, but the Shane Doan-Glenn Anderson analogy is way off. Andy was a sniper and scorer -- pure and simple. He was a mid-rent district's version of Mike Bossy. Didn't play a two-way game worth a lick, but he could drive the net without fear like no one in the league.

Doan is a much better two-way player than Andy but doesn't have the wheels or the sniper-like accuracy of Anderson.

Tough to draw connections between the pipes, either. Bryzgalov isn't in Fuhr's category, and Tellqvist isn't a platoon goalie who could start for just about any other team in the league, like Andy Moog was in the 80s.

Otherwise, fun read.

Take care,
PK
Yeah I was reaching on that one...I had to find a way to work Andy in there somehow! :)
What about the Turris and Mueller comparisons though? I really really like Peter Mueller...kid going to be a great player.

Tim
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Tim:

I like how you quantified Turris' comparison with Gretzky, as that's vital. Only Lemieux can be compared to Gretzky as an offensive juggernaut in the history of hockey.

But Turris does have all the offensive skills that you indicated.

Mueller is very underrated, as you mentioned. Jari Kurri? Eh, not so sure if he's that caliber. How is Mueller's defensive game, because Kurri was one of the better two-way forwards in the league in his prime. A offensive guy who developed into a complete player, much like Zetterberg.

A fun read, man! Keep up the good work!

Take care,
PK