Emergence Day (GOW)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I have had the game for nearly a week now but haven't had much time with it...until last night. I really started getting the hang of using cover, etc. I am still early in the campaign but its damn intense. Had to stop last night once I got to those damn things that crawl on the ceiling 8O I think they are called wretches.

Between GOW, COD3, NBA2K7 and the soon to arrive R6 Vegas - I have some serious gaming ahead of me. I'd like to get CH2K7 but I have already spent too much $$ on games this month. NBA2K7 will have to fill my hoops needs for now.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Great, great game. Probably my favorite 360 game so far. The game is very accessible, beautiful, and just a ton of fun.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I think this game is vastly better when played co-op than alone. Single player works fne, but the ease of slipping into the co-op game is significant, and most of the battles seem designed for two players, so this really sets it apart from other games. PDZ was very similar in the way it was designed for co-op and you could earn progression through the story mode whichever way, but too many levels on that game were just bad, others not really using co-op very well, and only a couple where co-op really set the game apart. Here in GoW, it's a central part of the game, and distinguishes it from other games.

Play together!

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

RobVarak wrote:
Slumberland wrote:I need to be careful about playing this game before bed. I have a bit of a head cold, and last night would fall asleep for about an hour at a time and have restless dreams where I had to keep active reloading successfully in order to breathe and stay asleep. It sucked.
On the other hand, nothing clears out those sinuses like a chainsaw to the bridge of the nose! :)
Best. Attack. EVAR!

Seriously, it's hard to top the lawnmower from Dead Rising, but I think the chainsaw does it.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I finished the game on Casual difficulty and now just finished it on 'Hardcore' - what a phenominal game and I've still yet to play (host or join) a co-op game! The combat (even against the CPU) is so much fun and I am in love with the Torque Bow - "Thunk! 1....2.....3....BOOM!!!" :)

Definately up there with God of War and Half-Life 2 as one of the best non-sports games of the past few years.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Macca00 wrote:I finished the game on Casual difficulty and now just finished it on 'Hardcore' - what a phenominal game and I've still yet to play (host or join) a co-op game! The combat (even against the CPU) is so much fun and I am in love with the Torque Bow - "Thunk! 1....2.....3....BOOM!!!" :)

Definately up there with God of War and Half-Life 2 as one of the best non-sports games of the past few years.
How long did it take you? I have no idea where i'm at and I can't find anywhere for it to tell me a percentage of how much i've completed. I just got past what I assume would be the first beserker.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

tjung0831 wrote:
How long did it take you? I have no idea where i'm at and I can't find anywhere for it to tell me a percentage of how much i've completed. I just got past what I assume would be the first beserker.
Hey tjung,

If you've just got past the first Beserker you've finished Act 1 and are about a fifth of the way through (there are 5 acts, however, the last act is pretty short). The single player game gets better as you go on and the best parts of the game (IMO) are still to come!

Btw, if you want a Dom for co-op let me know - Gamertag: DrMacca

dave360
Mario Mendoza

Post by dave360 »

Zeppo wrote:I think this game is vastly better when played co-op than alone. Single player works fne, but the ease of slipping into the co-op game is significant, and most of the battles seem designed for two players, so this really sets it apart from other games.
I agree completely. A friend of mine and I finished hardcore the other night and had a blast doing it. I haven't seen any of the AI issues simply because I haven't played with the AI. I really think that Epic/MS have set the bar high for other co-op games. If Halo 3 and some of the other major games don't have a co-op mode like this one built in, then they won't beat Gears IMO. This is simply put the best game I've ever played. Right after we finished on Hardcore, we started back over on Insane.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Macca00 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:
Hey tjung,

If you've just got past the first Beserker you've finished Act 1 and are about a fifth of the way through (there are 5 acts, however, the last act is pretty short). The single player game gets better as you go on and the best parts of the game (IMO) are still to come!

Btw, if you want a Dom for co-op let me know - Gamertag: DrMacca
That's good news. I read on gamefaqs where people are stating they beat the game in 3 hours, i was starting to get worried. Hell it took me almost an hour to beat the Beserker. I can't imagine this game getting even better as it goes on though, that's going to be a real treat.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I'm up to the Berseker now (playing on Hardcore) and absolutely loving this game. As great as the graphics and atmosphere are, it's funny how little things like the reloading option and cover can add to the fun, kind of how the weapon upgrades did a lot for Resident Evil 4.

I like how the single player battles vary. You have some wide open fights, close encounters in hallways, chances to use fixed guns, and of course the Hammer of God. The AI is pretty sharp, too, much better than most games I've played of this sort.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

The Hammer is the one thing that I really don't like in the campaign. It's so scripted and silly that it detracts from the flow of the game.

"Hey look, 3 Hammers of Dawn laying around. Hmm... methinks there might be a Berserker or other boss-type around the next corner." :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

It's like the pitching meter in MVP versus just pressing the button to pitch.

This is probably my favorite game in a long time. The pacing is perfect...the storyline is amusing and it's just an all around blast to play....especially co-op.

Brando70 wrote: it's funny how little things like the reloading option and cover can add to the fun, kind of how the weapon upgrades did a lot for Resident Evil 4.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

RobVarak wrote:The Hammer is the one thing that I really don't like in the campaign. It's so scripted and silly that it detracts from the flow of the game.

"Hey look, 3 Hammers of Dawn laying around. Hmm... methinks there might be a Berserker or other boss-type around the next corner." :)
I don't find that that sticks out too much as a scripted thing in comparison to the rest of the game. The whole thing is pretty darn linear and full of set-pieces of one kind or another, and I think it's very well designed, at least as far as I've got so far (mid Act 3).

Co-op makes the game so much more fun for me. Even when you're split up, you can both hit all the enemies, so you're still working together.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Zeppo wrote: Co-op makes the game so much more fun for me. Even when you're split up, you can both hit all the enemies, so you're still working together.
I like the co-op mode for this game a lot, but I think it makes the game very easy on Hardcore level, at least from the experiences I have had with it so far.

I think I'm going to solo Hardcore, and then see who wants to help me take apart Insane.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I hate these types of games and FPS games but a few people told me to play it so I gave it a shot. I rented it Friday and it's probably the best non sports game I've ever played! The intensity is unmatched with non sports action games I've played during the ps2/xbox generation. This game is fun online too since it's so easy to setup and play.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Count me in the minority who's not really feeling this game. Sure, it looks gorgeous, but it's fairly repetitive, seems like it was designed and written by a fifteen year old boy, and I haven't had any fun online with it since that first night when everyone was still trying to get their bearings. I think going through the campaign on co-op would be more fun, but the opportunities for that seem rare. I don't know.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Slumberland wrote:Count me in the minority who's not really feeling this game. Sure, it looks gorgeous, but it's fairly repetitive, seems like it was designed and written by a fifteen year old boy, and I haven't had any fun online with it since that first night when everyone was still trying to get their bearings. I think going through the campaign on co-op would be more fun, but the opportunities for that seem rare. I don't know.
Consider you counted. No more negative posts on GoW from this point forward please! :wink:

I think saying it was created by a 15 year old is a bit much, but I can understand your opinion about it being fairly repetitive. It has a certain formula and does not deviate from that much.

That said, I am surprised you do not find it entertaining online. If you are referring to it against randoms, then I understand, but with a group of friends or DSP guys, then i am surprised at your statement.

Co-Op definitely does enhance the story mode aspect a ton and should definitely not be overlooked.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

No more negative posts, I promise!

I'm sure multi with DSP'ers would be fun again... I was gone the week of Thanksgiving when I think a lot of GoW got played, and now it seems to have been subsumed by RSV for the time being. We'll see how things play out. I still see one or two DSP'ers on from time to time, but there's no handy "join match" function.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I'm going to start posting for regular poker nights for this game. I'm tired of wasting time in R6 adversarial.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I think the simple nature of the offline game is what makes it good. For myself, the reason I stay away from these types of games in the past is all the extra stuff you have to know to get through the game. I don't really have time to do that anymore so it was refreshing this was a simple shooting action game.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how do you get past this Berzerker thing?

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

GTHobbes wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but how do you get past this Berzerker thing?
I'm at the same point in the game. I think you're suppose to come let him charge you and move out of the way at the very end. Be sure to stand in front of a locked gate/door so he can smash it open. Ive been close in passing this level but it gets me always during the 3rd door.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

This game was possibly the biggest disappointment of the year for me, maybe bigger than Madden.

For a game that had so much hype, Epic should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a game this short. Most people I know have finished the single player in 5-6 hours. I'm sorry, but that's just not enough game for $60, I don't care how good it looks.

Then we have the multiplayer. I should have known when I saw gameplay movies 6 months ago that this game would not be for me. You have to empty a clip and a half to kill anyone in this game. And if you don't kill them after emptying 49 bullets in them, they can just duck behind a box for 5 seconds and be as good as new. I'm sorry, but when I shoot people, I want them to die.

I realize that games like Halo 2 and Call of Duty 2 and 3 use the same of type of system, but it is far too exaggerated in Gears of War...to the point where it's not even fun. As for multiplayer, I tried it and had a little fun with it, but it only takes a few games to realize that practically every game boils down to who gets the sniper rifle first or the game is just a chainsaw battle. It was fun for a couple of nights, but once you realize the game mechanics are so flawed, there's no reason to play it again.

A lot of my friends have either sent their rental back, traded the game in, or just quit playing it. The few friends that I have that still play it say that now the game has been reduced to everyone running around putting sticky grenades on each other.

Sorry to piss in anyone's cornflakes, but this game is easily the biggest disappointment of the year for me. I'm having much more fun playing Call of Duty 3 and Rainbow Six Vegas...people die when you shoot them in those games. :lol:

Phototropic
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Phototropic »

I'll echo the disappointment although I don't have an issue with the amount of shots needed to kill someone. The lack of replay value is horrible though. I played through in about 10 hours on hardcore with a friend. That 10 hours was great but beating the game on insane was fairly boring, repeating the same plot I knocked out 2 days before. I'd say it's a definite rental.

Fshguy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Fshguy »

Badgun wrote: For a game that had so much hype, Epic should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a game this short. Most people I know have finished the single player in 5-6 hours. I'm sorry, but that's just not enough game for $60, I don't care how good it looks.
It's definitely too bad they didn't make the storyline a little longer. I don't think the gameplay mechanics don't really come into play on casual mode though. Too easy to run an gun in that mode.

Admittedly, I've gotten a lot more gameplay out of Viva Pinata. ;)