PS3 Impressions Yes Another One....

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

That combined with the fact that I stumbled across an original launch 60GB version new for 399.

I knew I was going to get one eventually anyway, so I jumped on that opportunity.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Slumberland wrote:Funny, the seeming wave of PS3 purchases by DSP'ers after the holidays. What was it? The Warners Bros. announcement?
The 2nd iteration of the Show and Blu-Ray (even before they b*tch slapped HD-DVD). I wanted to have a player for both formats and after picking up the Toshiba HD-DVD player, I needed some sort of Blu-Ray player so it was the only logical choice. Plus, the Show...yeah, the Show...I cannot wait.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Slumberland wrote:Funny, the seeming wave of PS3 purchases by DSP'ers after the holidays. What was it? The Warners Bros. announcement?
The Blu Ray issue certainly played a big factor, but I would also think that the lack of AAA sports sims on the 360 played another.

While NHL08, NBA2k8 and Fifa08 were all very good games, none of them (to me anyways) were overly memorable single player experiences. I know that a lot of you guys place online play up there in terms of features, but I get the feeling that as a lot of us age (dsp seems to consist of a lot of young parents and guys in their "Carlsberg years"), we are really looking for a great sim that we can pick up regardless of who is online. The Show fills that void beautifully.

Perhaps if this board were filled with basketball fanatics it would be a different story too - However, soccer, racing and baseball seem to get a lot more attention than the NBA does.

Or it could just be about the $100 price drop. :D

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Not to mention the fact that some of the guys here are already on their third 360 and still playing on a prayer.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

It was all about the Blu Ray for me. I really like what the 360 does for me in terms of games. and my particular system has been pretty reliable for me. But with all the support going to Blu Ray, I was going to need a player, I figured I might as well get one that plays games, just in case there was something that I saw that I liked.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Too much disposable income and leisure time.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Honestly, if I hadn't gotten mostly gift cards for Christmas, I wouldn't have bought one. But the Warner's announcement made me interested in getting a Blu Ray player, and the PS3's easy ability to upgrade firmware and play games like The Show convinced me to get it.

I was more impressed with it than I expected to be. Sony really did a nice job with the AV features they packed in. I'm sure most AVS Forum purists would rather have a standalone player, but for $400 I think you get a lot of bang for your buck, even compared to the new Panasonic models coming out. The remote control issue doesn't even really bother me that much as I use my DVD remote the least out of any component. It's a minor inconvenience.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

It was all Blu-Ray for me. Being a huge dvd collector the Warner Bros. announcement forced my hand. I sold my HD-DVDs (hopefully I can sell the player eventually) and bought a PS3. There were slightly cheaper stand alone players but why not pay the extra $50 for a nice gaming system as well. The ability to finally play the Show was the icing on the cake.

For the first time I own all of the available consoles of the current generation plus a kick ass gaming rig. It's nice to know I won't miss out on any exclusive titles I might want to play.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

PS3 is probably the "best" bluray player because of the ease of firmware update. Standalone BD player can be a pain to update the firmware, but PS3, it is regularly updated.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

PRBoom wrote:got 2 DS3's from this place (1 white, 1 black). 48.99 + 9.99 shipping is best price online...that' I've been able to find anyway.

they showed up 2 days later. Great place to pick them up if your in the market for one.

http://stores.ebay.com/AlternativeDVD-S ... idZ2QQtZkm
Thanks for the tip Boom. I ordered mine late Sunday night and got it today. Works great.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Brando70 wrote:Honestly, if I hadn't gotten mostly gift cards for Christmas, I wouldn't have bought one. But the Warner's announcement made me interested in getting a Blu Ray player, and the PS3's easy ability to upgrade firmware and play games like The Show convinced me to get it.
Ditto that...Gift cards+Warner = PS3...

Anyone know how the NPDs are...seems that the PS3 should have started picking up some ground somewhere.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Leebo33 wrote:
PRBoom wrote:got 2 DS3's from this place (1 white, 1 black). 48.99 + 9.99 shipping is best price online...that' I've been able to find anyway.

they showed up 2 days later. Great place to pick them up if your in the market for one.

http://stores.ebay.com/AlternativeDVD-S ... idZ2QQtZkm
Thanks for the tip Boom. I ordered mine late Sunday night and got it today. Works great.
NP man. Glad to hear you had a good experience too.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

XXXIV wrote:
Brando70 wrote:Honestly, if I hadn't gotten mostly gift cards for Christmas, I wouldn't have bought one. But the Warner's announcement made me interested in getting a Blu Ray player, and the PS3's easy ability to upgrade firmware and play games like The Show convinced me to get it.

Anyone know how the NPDs are...seems that the PS3 should have started picking up some ground somewhere.
The PS3 is starting to gain a little momentum. They faired better than the 360 for the month of January. Is it really true that it's hard to find a 360 on retail shelves?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/14/janua ... the-month/

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:

The PS3 is starting to gain a little momentum. They faired better than the 360 for the month of January. Is it really true that it's hard to find a 360 on retail shelves?

I knoe 360 Elites are tough to find. The PS3 has really started to come into its own of late. Games are starting to consistently show up and the word is out about the reliability of the console (compared to the 360). It really is an impressive system. The 360 obviously rules the roost as far as online but the rest is a dead heat. Plus the PS3 has the BluRay player built in...something the 360 can't tout.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

sportdan30 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:

When I bought the PS3 the Best buy I went to was out of 360s...People were leaving to go to other stores to get them...This was a few weeks ago so I dont know about now...

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

That is just so strange about the 360. Don't get me wrong. It's a great system, despite its reliability issues. But, why is there a shortage now? There never was before. Are they taking Nintendo's lead and perhaps using it as a marketing ploy, or are they really that popular? Or perhaps the Falcons are going to be surfacing soon. Strange.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I doubt its a marketing ploy...Sounds more like some pretty bad management.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Definitely a great January for the PS3, I think it is going to maintain momentum and at least match the 360 for the first half of the year. Who will be the first to cut price, that's the big question.

I don't think there are any motives behind the 360 shortage. Remember, MS way over-produced consoles last year, so they probably were surprised by Dec-early Jan sales and didn't have enough inventory to cover all retailers. Not sure I'm buying that it had a big effect on sales, it seems like you could easily find one with a little effort, unlike the Wii.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

XXXIV wrote: When I bought the PS3 the Best buy I went to was out of 360s...People were leaving to go to other stores to get them...This was a few weeks ago so I dont know about now...
I've seen the same thing in my area. Even the Best Buy where I shop had two 360's and both CC had 1 or 2 units available. The same applies for Walmart and Targets. I do believe that they did not anticipate the large sales late last year when Halo 3 was released and for Christmas.

And I agree with what you said as well. It boils down to bad management.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Some speculation that MS may be clearing out inventory for newer SKUs, possible price cut, to be announced at GDC in March.

Here's some interesting rumor:

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digi ... blog_last3

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I had to move the PS3 onto our old CRT while the projector is in the shop getting its firmware updated (there was a glitch that caused green flashes every 15 min. or so when watching blu-ray via hdmi). The whole thing with the PS3 forcing games into 480p 'cause it can't convert from 720p to 1080i is a thing of that past, right? It's one of those 1080i only sets.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I believe it's dependent on the game.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... id=1543693

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Does anyone know if the PS3 plays region free DVDs? There are some BBC things my wife wants to watch that are only Region 2. How is it for regular DVDs does it upconvert? Is there a decent third party remote so my wife would not have to fiddle with the gamepad?

As you might guess, if I can convince my wife of the advantages of the PS3 as a Blu Ray and DVD player then....

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

kevinpars wrote:Does anyone know if the PS3 plays region free DVDs? There are some BBC things my wife wants to watch that are only Region 2. How is it for regular DVDs does it upconvert? Is there a decent third party remote so my wife would not have to fiddle with the gamepad?

As you might guess, if I can convince my wife of the advantages of the PS3 as a Blu Ray and DVD player then....
Not sure about region free DVD's.
It will upconvert regular DVD's if you're hooked up through HDMI. It won't up convert if connected via component cables.
There is a first party Sony Blu-Ray remote (bluetooth) as well as 3rd party remotes.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Doubt the DVD player is region-free.

Haven't heard about region hacks for it either.

PS3 games are region free but not PS2 games.

There is region coding for Blu Ray as well but I think Europe and North America are in the same region.