Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Golf

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Golf

Post by pk500 »

Thank you. The Golf Club -- with its HUNDREDS of courses -- will continue to suit my needs just fine.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The list of golfers and courses are pretty pathetic in my view with all the time they had. I would rather play LPGA than disco golf. Now, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they keep adding courses and players from past TW games via DLC. It's EA, folks.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Yes Divot you've been Ramjagged.

Its like the rick Ashly but he doesn't sing gayly, just fucks up your game. :)
I felt really bad for you Hockey guys last year. RM is the NHL for 2015....

Nine f***in courses? And there are only 8 if you don't pre-order. Stunning example of under achievement. I could not be more disappointed after waiting two f***in years for THIS.....

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

That course listing is pretty pathetic. I could really care less about the pro golfers since they don't let you play tours wit them. But really, what kind of tour do you run with nine courses? My favorite version the game, TW 11, came with 14 courses. TW 14 shipped with 20, although I I gave up on that version because of random crashes and lock-ups. Otherwise, the game had been shipping with 17 courses. Of course, TW 06 shipped with six, and TW 07 had twelve.

My guess is that for this year, the number of courses for sale later will also be pretty sparse. Two years or not, building new courses in a brand new engine in a brand new way probably took them longer than expected. But that doesn't really matter to the end user. The game will probably be cheap and in the Vault sooner than they had hoped.

I'm probably still picking this up, as kong as the game doesn't play like a turd when Early Access comes out. I'll still get more hours out this game, crappy course losing and all, than I get out of a lot of games. But then, I like playing video games. The Nightclub Challenge looks ridiculous, but in the same way Trials does, and I will probably get a lot of hours out of that mode the same way Trials sucked up a ton of my time.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

does this just mean that they will be selling a ton of courses as DLC?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

There has got to be some DLC courses.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:There has got to be some DLC courses.
Of course I also said that "there is no way EASHL won't be in NHL15"...so what the hell do I know. :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If you got EA Access, you can try it for 10 hours starting July 9th.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2015/06/27/ea ... r-playtime

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Did they drop Tiger because of his personal life troubles or because he sucks now?

Then again, Rory has had some off course drama and he's not winning majors either.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Did they drop Tiger because of his personal life troubles or because he sucks now?

Then again, Rory has had some off course drama and he's not winning majors either.
Probably both. It's not smart business to market games to kids and young adults with a serial adulterer as the poster child. Plus Tiger's era is over.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

wco81 wrote:Did they drop Tiger because of his personal life troubles or because he sucks now?

They dropped him in 2013 after TW14 shipped as he was still ranked #1 then. They tried to get out of the deal a year earlier and lowballed an offer to him for TW14 and he took the deal. They thought he would walk.

Rory's off course drama is a drop in the bucket in comparison to Tiger's shenanigans. And Rory has won 4 majors at roughly the same age as Tiger and was the fastest to 10 PGA TOUR wins than any Golfer in history. So I would not call Rory a flop as your comment seems to hint at. Jordan Spieth is giving hot pursuit and is the next "Rory", but neither is truly the next "Tiger" as they have a long way to go to compare to his 10 years of complete dominance, 14 Majors and 79 PGA TOUR wins.......

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

10 hours is very generous.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah I don't follow golf regularly but a couple of weeks ago, they showed highlights of Rory having some difficulties.

But looks like he won 2 majors in 2014 and he's only 26 so he should be a major contender for several years to come.

Then again, I remember Greg Norman was one of the biggest stars, or at least got more endorsements than almost everyone else in the field for years and he hadn't won too many tournaments.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I think, especially for this first game, naming it after any golfer was a silly idea. They could have just called it EA PGA Tour Golf, put Rory on the cover and then reassessed next year. I mean, it's what they do with team sports.

Earlier some of us debated Rory versus Ricky Fowler. Now Jordan Spieth seems like the obvious choice. Tiger was absolutely the right choice when it was done. I don't think the same could be said about any of those three guys. I do think Danimal made a pretty strong case for Fowler, because his brand skews youngest of everyone available.

Mostly, Tiger was right for a lot of reasons that went beyond just his success. I think trying to recreate that with another golfer is a mistake.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

wco81 wrote:Yeah I don't follow golf regularly but a couple of weeks ago, they showed highlights of Rory having some difficulties.

But looks like he won 2 majors in 2014 and he's only 26 so he should be a major contender for several years to come.

Then again, I remember Greg Norman was one of the biggest stars, or at least got more endorsements than almost everyone else in the field for years and he hadn't won too many tournaments.

Of his 11 wins, 4 are Majors.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Inuyasha wrote:10 hours is very generous.
Probably because the game needs good PR. The backlash over the dearth of available courses and the arcadish look of some of the modes and features is strong in the sim golf community.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I think the backlash over the arcade stuff is silly because the game is shipping with what seems to be some really nice realistic options for playing. Not only can you play at some tough sim difficulties, but the game has a ton of settings to craft it to be exactly what you want. I don't think there is going to be a problem with the gameplay being too arcadish. It might not be as great as it needs to be, because who knows how a brand new game, built from scratch, is actually going to feel until you play it.

The lack of courses is pretty bad, though. I understand why, as the time and cost to do each course is probably more than they are willing to invest. The same thing happened when Tiger hit the 360 for the first game, only it was six courses. But none of that changes the value proposition for customers. It's gonna be $60, and we are getting a far fewer courses than the last several entries. And how they handle DLC courses is going to be tricky.

I'm craving EA golf, so I'm buying in 9as long as the game plays as I expect during Early Access). But honestly, this seems like the perfect game to wait for it to hit The Vault, and check in on how it looks next year, or whenever the next game comes. I think they ought to look at going to at least bi-annual releases.

Who knows, maybe we will find the multiplayer so good people all decide to buy-in. My guess is that it going to get a very lackluster amount of support for some pretty obvious reasons.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I wasn't aware of the lack of players and golf courses until I read this thread. Maybe I won't buy it and the 10 hours may be enough. But couldn't they get back Tiger or Phil at least? They need the non-golf fan to buy this game to make them money, and why wouldn't they get the 2 most recognizable names in the game. Maybe they're totally divorced from Tiger now. But at least get a one big name like Phil in there.

another observation - the whole motion golf thing died fast didn't it. When wii golf and wii tiger came out, it was amazing how you could mimic a golfing motion and swing in a video game and make it work. Seems like those golf motion games are no longer being made.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Inuyasha wrote:I wasn't aware of the lack of players and golf courses until I read this thread. Maybe I won't buy it and the 10 hours may be enough. But couldn't they get back Tiger or Phil at least? They need the non-golf fan to buy this game to make them money, and why wouldn't they get the 2 most recognizable names in the game. Maybe they're totally divorced from Tiger now. But at least get a one big name like Phil in there.

another observation - the whole motion golf thing died fast didn't it. When wii golf and wii tiger came out, it was amazing how you could mimic a golfing motion and swing in a video game and make it work. Seems like those golf motion games are no longer being made.
Tiger will likely never appear in another EA Golf game. Not sure, but I think the split was less than amicable. Phil is a) not interested in being in any video Golf game and b) he won't mention a price for being in one (see a).

The motion golf has never had broad acceptance except for the Wii. But after the 2nd version of Tiger for the W11, sales tanked badly and TW13 for W11 never came out. Motion Golf is far more of a niche' market than Golf games in general are. With MS dropping the kinect and Sony and MS looking forward to VR products, Motion Golf is on hiatus until a new interface comes along that users will adopt in sufficient numbers. Much of that remains to be seen....

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Inuyasha wrote:I wasn't aware of the lack of players and golf courses until I read this thread. Maybe I won't buy it and the 10 hours may be enough. But couldn't they get back Tiger or Phil at least? They need the non-golf fan to buy this game to make them money, and why wouldn't they get the 2 most recognizable names in the game. Maybe they're totally divorced from Tiger now. But at least get a one big name like Phil in there.

Probably a good call not trying to have Mickelson as the the game focus and coverboy.....

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... -operation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I want this game. The graphics look incredible. Yeah, I'm a graphics whore...shoot me. I hope the gameplay is engaging. The unlimited courses of TGC are awesome but, graphically, the game looks dated. A hybrid of the two would be incredible.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Can't wait to download this next week on EA Access. Ten hours should be enough for me to make a decision.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MizzouRah wrote:Can't wait to download this next week on EA Access. Ten hours should be enough for me to make a decision.
AGREED. Looking forward to it.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Diablo25 wrote:I want this game. The graphics look incredible. Yeah, I'm a graphics whore...shoot me. I hope the gameplay is engaging. The unlimited courses of TGC are awesome but, graphically, the game looks dated. A hybrid of the two would be incredible.
What do you think now?

https://www.easports.com/pga-tour/news/ ... 39041879=1

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

DivotMaker wrote:
What do you think now?

https://www.easports.com/pga-tour/news/ ... 39041879=1
Getting close to a day 1 purchase. :)
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971