Titanfall

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Titanfall

Post by Pete1210 »

So whose playing tonight on XB1?

I'll be on starting around 9:30 ET.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Pete1210 wrote:So whose playing tonight on XB1?

I'll be on starting around 9:30 ET.
I will definitely be on. Not sure of the time, but I'll be there.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I'll be there. Was on last night but didn't see any of you bums.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I'll probably be on later.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Spooky wrote:
Sudz wrote:Not sure why this is being called the "shooter for people who suck at shooters" as I suck at shooters and apparently suck at shooters for people who suck at shooters.
I am able to consistently rank in the middle after each round with a few last places and a few first places. So that quote seems to resonate with me.
I was also doing OK playing mostly on my own with randoms.

But last night team DSP team versus randoms was tough. It did not help that our top ranked players were 17s and we were going up against 30s and 40s. (Aren't these games supposed to have balanced matchmaking?) It was still fun playing with the group here. Even in losing Titanfall games you get those little personal victories like ripping a pilot out of a Titan.

At this time there are no Private matches. That feature is supposed to added as free DLC.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Getting massacred as part of a DSP-only team is sort of what we do, though. :)

This has almost always been the case in FPS's, unfortunately. To win consistently we either need to find a few ringers or just play private matches. lol

Tons of fun last night, though. Even though this absolutely sucked and encapsulated everything I hate about playing against 16 year-old Red Bull addicts:

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

My burn card deck appears to be full. Maybe I should use one sometime.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The video is private
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Danimal wrote:The video is private

Fixed. Behold my awfulness in all its glory.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Finally sat down to knock out the campaign. The cut-scenes that join the missions together are a joke, but it was nice to have a mix of player experience rather than a bunch of prestige 39+ guys owning the room.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

RobVarak wrote:
Danimal wrote:The video is private

Fixed. Behold my awfulness in all its glory.
LOL, that is perfect. Did he actually shoot you or stomp on your pride for the kill? :D

Soupa Mac
Mario Mendoza

Post by Soupa Mac »

Is this coming Wednesday night Titanfall night? :D

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Soupa Mac wrote:Is this coming Wednesday night Titanfall night? :D
I'll be on.

FWIW, I've found the CAR submachine gun with the run-and-gun perk and counterweight to be a hell of a game changer. Ferociously effective.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

RobVarak wrote:
Soupa Mac wrote:Is this coming Wednesday night Titanfall night? :D
I'll be on.
Me too.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I played a bit. I'm getting better at the game :). Too tired to stay on long though.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I am always on at stupid times so hardly ever get to catch you guys but this game is great. I stopped playing COD after Black Ops and I feel this has the right formula to drag me back into the fast-paced shooter genre. The biggest thing for me is the fact that even if I don't have a great game on the scoreboard (i.e. my K/D ratio is garbage) I still feel like I'm having fun because of the AI minions and the traversal. That said, after about 10 hours of play I only feel that consistently applies to the Hardpoint (Domination/Conquest) game mode. Both Attrition and Last Titan Standing - basic deathmatch is starting to get frustrating as the COD kids are upping their game after prestige-ing for the 5-6th time.

I still think I overall had more fun with BF4 (because of the different classes, variety of vehicles and more emergent gameplay opportunities) but Titanfall is still really good.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'm beginning to wonder if this game's minion model will be copied to other games. It definitely makes every part of the battlefield more active (fewer dormant control points...etc), and gives slow or less experienced players something to do without getting pwnt at the first sign of action.

I go back and forth over whether a game like Battlefield would benefit from some of this. General battlefield chaos and noise is something that makes that game exciting, and slightly stupid minions would make the battlefield more alive without significantly increasing the danger to players aggressively moving around the map. At the very least, it would be more fun to raid an inactive control point and kill a team of limp bots rather than sit and hide and wait at the point.

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

Naples39 wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if this game's minion model will be copied to other games. It definitely makes every part of the battlefield more active (fewer dormant control points...etc), and gives slow or less experienced players something to do without getting pwnt at the first sign of action.

I go back and forth over whether a game like Battlefield would benefit from some of this. General battlefield chaos and noise is something that makes that game exciting, and slightly stupid minions would make the battlefield more alive without significantly increasing the danger to players aggressively moving around the map. At the very least, it would be more fun to raid an inactive control point and kill a team of limp bots rather than sit and hide and wait at the point.
Not in established franchises. That would go over like a lead balloon with the playerbase. It would skew statistics and be otherwise pointless as far as ever getting better at the game.
Combat Training mode from Black Ops 2 was fine, as it was its' own mode. To pollute the actual area of competition with retardo-bots is a bad idea.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

skinsfan wrote:
Naples39 wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if this game's minion model will be copied to other games. It definitely makes every part of the battlefield more active (fewer dormant control points...etc), and gives slow or less experienced players something to do without getting pwnt at the first sign of action.

Not in established franchises. That would go over like a lead balloon with the playerbase. It would skew statistics and be otherwise pointless as far as ever getting better at the game.
Combat Training mode from Black Ops 2 was fine, as it was its' own mode. To pollute the actual area of competition with retardo-bots is a bad idea.
I would fully expect players to lose their s*** and throw a knee-jerk hissy fit, but I think that mindset is poisonous, honestly. The cynical tactics so many use to boost their points or K/D completely apart from achieving game objectives rendered scoreboard fixation a detrimental farce long ago IMO.

"The actual area of competition" also reflects a ultra-competitive, cock-measuring, approach to gaming. If everyone is playing with the same rules it's fair competition, and it may make it more fun for the majority of players. It actually kind of reminds me of the feces frenzy gamers used to get into about how the killcam ruined their expert kill streaks, and like, was totally stupid. (I'm sure many still feel this way, but I've always been a big fan)

It would definitely be a change that would make purists howl, but after stagnant yearly releases, or piling 9-gazillion create a class customization options just so you can pretend the game has exciting new features, I'm open to it. Besides, when I play online every team is inevitably saddled with a few retardo-bots claiming they are human players. :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

An unintended tactical wrinkle also presents itself as a result of the bots. I find myself skipping easy kills on bots just to avoid disclosing myself on the map (I find the suppressors to be too detrimental v. pilots to be useful). Conversely, I have learned that defending an objective which has attracted friendly bots is a great way to get an early warning of a pilot's approach.

It's a cool little wrinkle that adds to the gameplay.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Finally dload it. Amazingly fun to play. Never felt too overcome by the experts. Getting in a Titan & tearing it up at the right time has yet to be less than awesome
Last edited by greggsand on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Finally hit level 50 and switched to Prestige.

Man, do I miss my active radar! :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Private matches added via patch today! :)

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/10/560071 ... lenge-more