OT: Android Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Re: OT: Motorola Xoom

Post by Darkbandit »

And which one do you think you'll wind up keeping?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:And which one do you think you'll wind up keeping?
Tab for sure. Performance wise they are equal...if not slightly in favor of the tab because of the screen (it is ridiculously good compared to the xoom). Sure i wil miss the direct hdmi connection but if i can use a dongle no problem really.

I guess the only real advantage for the xoom is the ease of cleaning the fingerprints off the screen. Lol. Its just easier.

The size and weight really put the tab i a class by itself...i love it so far.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:So why do you regret buying the 32GB version? Is there ANYTHING that's lacking? I've read the Amazon reviews and no SD slot, not a deal breaker for me. I've read the 1280x800 rez looks amazing. :)
Because i probably only need 16. There is a usb adapter so if you really need to expand or connect a hard drive you can.
Awesome, especially if you can use a USB Flash drive, problem solved for storage.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I may check the Tab out tomorrow. HHGREGG in Sarasota is now selling them.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

I really don't think you will be disappointed in it..unless you are charging it and frustrated that you can't use it lol

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Returned the Xoom today...the Tab is just so much better overall from a usability standpoint. It's what a tablet should be in terms of size and weight...really easy to use it as a Nook/Kindle reader...the Xoom was too difficult because of the weight and size of the thing. Extremely happy with the Tab 10.1, that's for sure.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Yeah the tab is great. I am back into my android phase now as I also picked up the tbolt too.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm really close to buying one but I hope I don't regret it especially with the never ending product refreshes AND that I take my Dell 13.3 Vostro with me. I hope I don't run into the 'I can do that on my Vostro V13'. :?

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

That's the only problem with technology though.. what you buy today is outdated 5 minutes later lol

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I'm really close to buying one but I hope I don't regret it especially with the never ending product refreshes AND that I take my Dell 13.3 Vostro with me. I hope I don't run into the 'I can do that on my Vostro V13'. :?
Buy at best buy...no hassle 30 day return policy (45 if you are a premier silver member like myself). Use it for a month and return it if you arent completely happy. No harm in that.

And of course you can do it on a laptop...laptops can do more. Its just being able to chill comfortably with the tablets and still have access to all of your information.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

^^^ All good points. I'll stop at BB mid-week because TRU is across the street from their store. Might as well get the Tab and my two games for $50. I'm also thinking of picking up a Samsung Galaxy Profile from Boostmobile as well. :)

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I've been looking to get a tablet so after checking Best Buys website yesterday it was showing the Galaxy tab in stock so I drive there and ask about it and one of the employees says they don't have them on display but still have them boxed up in the back, he checks with another employee in the mobile electronics department who says they don't have any, and that the main New York Best Buy store is the only one that has them in stock now.

I took that as I sign that I wasn't supposed to have one yet and did some browsing on amazon and may just wait a bit longer for the Toshiba Thrive to be released and see how it rates since it has full size SD and USB slots.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah for some reason best buy employees are not knowledgable at all about tablets...im sure they had em they are just too lazy to check. I doubt that the Toshiba is gonna be any better. No way from what i have seen.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

vader29 wrote:I've been looking to get a tablet so after checking Best Buys website yesterday it was showing the Galaxy tab in stock so I drive there and ask about it and one of the employees says they don't have them on display but still have them boxed up in the back, he checks with another employee in the mobile electronics department who says they don't have any, and that the main New York Best Buy store is the only one that has them in stock now.

I took that as I sign that I wasn't supposed to have one yet and did some browsing on amazon and may just wait a bit longer for the Toshiba Thrive to be released and see how it rates since it has full size SD and USB slots.
You must've had some dufuses at your store. I picked up one for a family member at best buy yesterday. I just walked in and asked for one, and was out the door in 5 minutes.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Naples39 wrote:
vader29 wrote:I've been looking to get a tablet so after checking Best Buys website yesterday it was showing the Galaxy tab in stock so I drive there and ask about it and one of the employees says they don't have them on display but still have them boxed up in the back, he checks with another employee in the mobile electronics department who says they don't have any, and that the main New York Best Buy store is the only one that has them in stock now.

You must've had some dufuses at your store. I picked up one for a family member at best buy yesterday. I just walked in and asked for one, and was out the door in 5 minutes.
Wow they must be really good for someone who owns an iPad.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Wow they must be really good for someone who owns an iPad.
He bought it for someone else. Not himself. LOL...Naples is a huge apple fanboy. :lol:

But yes, they are that good.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

It was for my brother who says he wants android but who had my ipad1 the last 2 months. Physically it is basically identical to the ipad2, though I did like that the back is grippier than the ipad.

And for the record the iPad is the first apple product I ever owned. No iPods, iPhones or Mac computers. Still love my iPad though and I am all about the tablets now.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Wow they must be really good for someone who owns an iPad.
He bought it for someone else. Not himself. LOL...Naples is a huge Mapple fanboy. :lol:

But yes, they are that good.
There fixed :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I stopped by BB today and got to play with the Tab. It's very impressive but I didn't buy one, why? The inner PK in me came out and said you can do that on your Dell Vostro V13. I think i'm leaning on buying a Smartphone instead, the Samsung Galaxy Prevail. It has built in GPS which I need and it's Android based. I can also use it for email, web and apps.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'm sounding like a broken record here, but I'm telling you a tablet is a different beast than a smartphone or a laptop. It's not about function, it's about form and convenience. If you don't want one I understand as they are pricey and ultimately luxury items, but I think nearly every who gets one finds that use it in totally different ways than they do their laptop or smartphone.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Naples39 wrote:I'm sounding like a broken record here, but I'm telling you a tablet is a different beast than a smartphone or a laptop. It's not about function, it's about form and convenience. If you don't want one I understand as they are pricey and ultimately luxury items, but I think nearly every who gets one finds that use it in totally different ways than they do their laptop or smartphone.
I keep reading that but I have yet to convince myself of that. Maybe it will eventually click but yeah I have the money just don't see how it will make the whole experience any different than what I have with my laptop that does so much more.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Picked up the Galaxy Tab 16gb today and so far it is sweeeeeet!
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

vader29 wrote:Picked up the Galaxy Tab 16gb today and so far it is sweeeeeet!
Yeah the Tab is quite impressive. I'm still thinking about it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Until you pick one up...you're not allowed to post about it anymore. There can only be so many "i'm thinking about it" posts...are you just trying to increase your post-count or something? :)

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
Until you pick one up...you're not allowed to post about it anymore. There can only be so many "i'm thinking about it" posts...are you just trying to increase your post-count or something? :)
OK Scott, I've been doing some research on the Galaxy tab. First let me say that I have an iPad 1. I have been wanting to get a 2, but have held off so far. Now comes the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and my interest is definitely piqued. I've always trusted and respected your opinions on electronics so I'm asking you to tell me, other than flash, what does the Galaxy tab bring to the table that the ipad 2 doesn't? From what I can tell there is no SD card slot, is there an HDMI out?

I like the fact that the cameras on the tab are better and the tab is lighter, but reading some of the reviews on Amazon, some people are reporting a slight delay when tapping a keyboard entry and when it appears on the screen and others have confirmed it.

Also, what kind of case did you get for your tab?