Got a PSP for Christmas...now what?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Once you get custom firmware you don't really have to worry about Sony's firmware since the hackers crack it relatively quickly. And squid it is very easy to run anything off of the he once you get custom firmware.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

ScoopBrady wrote:Once you get custom firmware you don't really have to worry about Sony's firmware since the hackers crack it relatively quickly. And squid it is very easy to run anything off of the he once you get custom firmware.
I read that the hackers even have the firmware able to update to the latest custom firmware via Wifi

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

wco81 wrote:Who knows, they talk about attachments for GPS, cell phone, maybe a front end for controlling their Play DVR thing for the PS3, etc.
That's fine, not interested in those anyways. GPS? Heck, I don't even know where a forest is.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

took about a week and a half to get to me but they have pandora battery's here for $10 free shipping -

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12472

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

A nice little comparison shot of the new 3000 series PSP screen and a 2000 series:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/08/ ... etter-yes/

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

wow, pretty nice difference right there.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I just hope Sony didn't pull a Killzone 2 by doctoring the image or turning down the screen brightness of the PSP 2000. :roll:

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Rodster wrote:I just hope Sony didn't pull a Killzone 2 by doctoring the image or turning down the screen brightness of the PSP 2000. :roll:
Yes, that's my thought too. Of course, I may be trying to justify an eventual purchase of the PSP Blue :wink:

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Rodster wrote:I just hope Sony didn't pull a Killzone 2 by doctoring the image or turning down the screen brightness of the PSP 2000. :roll:
Boy, the image quality on my PSP 2000 doesn't look that washed out and crappy. I'm also a little suspicious of the glare coming off the d-pad and other parts of the PSP 2000 compared to the 3000.

I'm sure that the screen on the 3000 will be an improvement and as anal as I am I'll probably end up selling my 2000 for a 3000. There is no doubt though that they are doing everything they can to make the image quality comparison in that picture as exaggerated as possible.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

btmmayor wrote:
Boy, the image quality on my PSP 2000 doesn't look that washed out and crappy.
Agreed, I have a fatty PSP and a Blue PSP and they honestly don't look that bad. Those pics are so exaggerated it's like comparing the original DS to the DS Lite.
btmmayor wrote: There is no doubt though that they are doing everything they can to make the image quality comparison in that picture as exaggerated as possible.
No doubt they are. They're trying to pull a Sony on us. I'll wait till they hit the stores and compare the two screens.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, it sure does look exaggerated...but who knows for sure till there are real shots from sites that aren't in Chinese. Never can trust them. :wink:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

GameSeven wrote:
Yes, that's my thought too. Of course, I may be trying to justify an eventual purchase of the PSP Blue :wink:
I have no doubt that all the colors they've already released with the Slim units will be reintroduced on the PSP 3000. Just a hunch. ;)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Is it me or is the PSP 2000 unit slightly angled back? :lol:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

You know what it is guys, they picked some berries that are about to rot for the 2000 and nice fresh ones for the 3000. That's all.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:You know what it is guys, they picked some berries that are about to rot for the 2000 and nice fresh ones for the 3000. That's all.
Not funny.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

10spro wrote:You know what it is guys, they picked some berries that are about to rot for the 2000 and nice fresh ones for the 3000. That's all.
You might be on to something....

Actually, I think it's just good marketing strategy.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

sportdan30 wrote:

But if they want us to upgrade from 2000 to 3000 they should have added a second analogue stick on the right side. :(
gamertag: ddtrane65

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

ddtrane wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:

But if they want us to upgrade from 2000 to 3000 they should have added a second analogue stick on the right side. :(
I'm sure they'll save that for the eventual PSP2. My bet is they'll add a second analog stick and probably ditch the failed UMD formant and switch to something flash-based.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Murph wrote:
ddtrane wrote:
sportdan30 wrote: You might be on to something....

I'm sure they'll save that for the eventual PSP2. My bet is they'll add a second analog stick and probably ditch the failed UMD formant and switch to something flash-based.
That would be the way to go.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

So how easy is it to upgrade to a custom firmware? Other than the running of games off of the memory stick, what other apps have been created to use with them?
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I have a pandora battery and memory card with the firmware that I can pass on to you for a nominal fee. It was painless with it and the instructions that came with it.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

fsquid, PM sent!
2319!

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Wow, since using custom firmware, I've gotten emulators for NES, SNES, SEGA Genesis, Turbo Graix 16, and Game Boy Advance. They all work really well on the PSP. It's cool to revisit some of the old games, and on a portable system it rocks. I just need to find some of the games I had back in the day.

I am a nut for racing games, so have scoured ebay and found some good ones. SBK Superbike 08 is a fantastic motorcycle racing game. Not only does it have one of my all-time favorite tracks (Brands Hatch), but the bikes feel much heavier and are harder to turn than in MotoGP. It sounds like it would make it harder to play, but the more realistic feel actually helps, as you steer the bike like a real one and not so much like an arcade game (no more charging into a corner and slamming on the brakes to pass 5 guys at a time like in MotoGP). Plus, after a race you get a hightlight reel, then you can watch a full replay including telemetry. It also has a full first person view that shows the handlebars, unlike MotoGPs which has no handlebars to serve as a reference as to how far your leaning your bike. Overall I like it much better then MotoGP.

TOCA 3 is good, has a ton of cars and tracks, and it seems a bit easier to steer than previous versions. The career path is a bit linear, but once you unlock things you can just go to free race. I need to get the code to unlock everything as I usually just like to do the free races anyway.

Rally wise, I held on to my old Colin McRae 2005, which is a great game. I did try the WRC game, and I wish I could mix the 2 together to create the best of both worlds. WRCs graphics are better, it runs smoother, and the cars seem faster; however the whole career system is a mess, because if you don't finish a stage high enough, you can't continue, you have to keep going until you pass it. Yuck. Add to that ghost cars that are better doors than windows and it makes me just stick to time trials. Colins career setup is much better and reflects more how a real rally is run. Colin is my game of choice for rally.

I really like Prostroke Championship Golf. It's not as colorful as Tiger Woods, and the tournament setup is a bit plain and can be tedious (they make you golf with another dude, and you have to watch his shots), but the actual gameplay feels right. You have to make good shot placement decisions, you can adjust your stance, where the ball is placed in your stance, where you want to hit the ball (the sweet spot), and the coolest thing is you use both shoulder buttons to swing. For just playing a round of golf I really like this game. It also comes with a full course designer, and you can pick the weather and season before you play. Certainly there is a learning curve, as a lot of it depends on setting up for the shot correctly, and not so much on the swing mechanics like the analog stick in TW.

Tiger Woods 09 looks better this year, the courses aren't as cartoon looking, and playing a tournament is more exciting than Prostroke. Using the analog stick to swing is fine, except that I keep slicing like a butcher. 20 real world courses are very cool to have (Prostroke has 2 real and about 18 fantasy courses). One thing that drives me nuts about TW is that until your golfer gets his stats up, your driving is terrible and it seems all of the club distances are off. I just need to add a club for now I suppose. Both games are good in their own ways and I'll probably keep them both.
2319!