OT: The NBA 06-07 Season Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

How is Iverson a GM killer? The Sixers have had the same terrible GM for ages.

hellbent
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by hellbent »

Feanor wrote:How is Iverson a GM killer? The Sixers have had the same terrible GM for ages.
GM Brad Greenberg (Virginia Tech Head Coach Seth's brother) drafted Iverson in 96. Larry Brown held the head coach/GM job until he quit in 2003. Billy King has been GM since, I believe. King's been with the Sixers for awhile, though, and I wholly agree, IS a terrible GM. Not exactly crazy turnover in an NBA front office, but not the same person at the GM spot, either.

Off the top of my head, I've lost count of the head coaches, other than Larry Brown and Mo Cheeks, that have tried and failed in working with Iverson.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The NBA is a joke. Nuggets/Knicks brawl - 10 ejected. Pathetic.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=261216018
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

There goes any chance that Carmelo can win an MVP. Nothing like punching a dude and running like a b*tch.

azmark
Mario Mendoza

Post by azmark »

It does figure that on a night that the Suns win their 14 straight game something like this happens to over shadows it. I may be biased since I have been a Suns fan since '68 but I think that a team such as the Suns..or the Mavericks helps the NBA and they show the way the game should be played. Just a shame , and a big shame that tonights Knicks/Nugget game will define the rest of the season as far as the NBA goes. Stern better give huge fines..and suspensions.

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

Diablo25 wrote:The NBA is a joke. Nuggets/Knicks brawl - 10 ejected. Pathetic.
Yep. Fights never happen in hockey or football. :roll:
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

reeche wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:The NBA is a joke. Nuggets/Knicks brawl - 10 ejected. Pathetic.
Yep. Fights never happen in hockey or football. :roll:
I agree, reeche. It's a black eye for the sport but I've seen worse fights in baseball.

The New York Times reports that MSG Network has footage of Isiah telling Carmelo Anthony 'not to go to the basket' with about 2 mins remaining in the game. If Isiah really did order the flagrant foul how embarrassing for this Knicks organization. It's at the point where I, a die hard lifelong Knick fan, can't stand to root for this team anymore.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well the NBA didn't screw around with the suspensions. Melo gets 15, JR Smith and Nate Robinson both get 10 a piece. No way in hell I thought they'd drop suspensions that long on them. Now if only Isiah would get a few games...as he deserves. Does he not know there are a million cameras on him when he looks directly at Carmelo and tells him not to go to the basket right now, it wouldn't be a good idea. What an idiot.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Local radio host pointed out that Tony LaRussa would have his pitchers throw at starters on opposing teams if they kept them to hit in a blowout.

So is the no layup rule in that situation any worse?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Local radio host pointed out that Tony LaRussa would have his pitchers throw at starters on opposing teams if they kept them to hit in a blowout.

A no layup rule is one thing...purposely telling your guys to take out a guy is another. Hard fouls are part of the game...as is throwing at a hitter. Trying to deliberately hurt a guy is another.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

wco81 wrote:Local radio host pointed out that Tony LaRussa would have his pitchers throw at starters on opposing teams if they kept them to hit in a blowout.

IMO, no. The Nuggets were way out of line with their antics. When you get a steal like that at the end of the game, you give it to the PG and let him burn 24. The dumb mofo was running down the court trying to get another highlight jam. Have a nice trip down to the wood.

These are unwritten rules. If you want to question them fine, but then you need to question all of the horseshit that goes on in baseball, too. I believe it was kind of questioned a bit this year for the first time, thanks to Ozzie.

And Melo is a f*g for throwing that gay ass sucker punch. Fifteen games is about right. Nate Robinson should be given a medal of courage IMO, though...
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah Carmelo sneaked in and then ran away.

JR Smith went after Nate Robinson, the smallest guy on the court.

Smith has been having a good season. He's one of those HS to NBA guys right, as was Josh Smith?

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

This isn't little league, and unwritten rules are a joke. Why can't you try to bunt in the ninth inning of a no-hitter? Why can't you play your stars if your team has been playing like crap, losing back-to-back games to the Wizards & Celtics? Play to the end of the game. They're professionals - act like it until the final buzzer. Play hard, whether up 20 on a bad team or down 30 to the best in the league. If I'm paying $100 to watch you play, play!

Nice gay slur Kazuya. Feel free to grow up anytime.

Nate Robinson started the fight and should have sat as long as Carmelo. If he doesn't get involved in the chest-bumping that understandably was going on between Collins & Smith, there isn't a fight. Collins gets tossed, Smith shoots free throws, the Denver subs that were at the scorer's table when the Knicks turned it over check in and the game ends.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Kazuya wrote:

IMO, no. The Nuggets were way out of line with their antics. When you get a steal like that at the end of the game, you give it to the PG and let him burn 24. The dumb mofo was running down the court trying to get another highlight jam. Have a nice trip down to the wood.

These are unwritten rules. If you want to question them fine, but then you need to question all of the horseshit that goes on in baseball, too. I believe it was kind of questioned a bit this year for the first time, thanks to Ozzie.
That's bullshit on a stick. You want to not get shown up, play some f***in basketball. Don't take out your frustrations on a guy as he goes up to score. Collins deserved to have his ass beat after that foul. A hard foul is one thing, a horse collar tackle that could seriously injure someone is another.

The suspensions are deserved, though. I could understand if Smith punched Collins in anger after that ridiculous foul, but a fight spilling out off the court should always result in a stiff punishment. Anthony's sucker punch was also deplorable.

I do think there's an overreaction. You see fights like this in baseball practically every season.

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

You never want fights to occur but I've never seen such an over-reaction imo to a fight. Good lord when I was a kid, you had actual REAL fights complete with Dr J and Larry Bird trying to strangle each other and that's just basketball. I've seen much worse in other sports than what happened here.

Carmelo was definitely the dumbest but personally I think 15 games is excessive. But then again Stern has always been overly concerned about "image issues" so in a post Malice in the Palace world, "sending a mesage" is the norm.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Saw that Karl was accusing Isaiah of instructing his players to hurt the Nuggets.

There is no proof of that.

Plus I really doubt a player who wants to be around in the league for awhile would play the goon.

Collins may have understood he was to take a hard, deliberate foul to make sure they don't get layups but to try to hurt opposing players?

Doubtful.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Karl's tirade against Thomas was classic.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Feanor wrote:Karl's tirade against Thomas was classic.
Classically stupid... Karl is known to be as big an asshole as Thomas. Now his two top scorers are going to miss 25 games and his organization is out half a mil... all so Karl can stick it to Isiah over some petty feud. Keep up the good work, George.
you laugh at me?" - Del

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Someone suggested Karl was trying to pile it up on the Knicks because of the way they treated Larry Brown, Karl's mentor.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

wco81 wrote:Someone suggested Karl was trying to pile it up on the Knicks because of the way they treated Larry Brown, Karl's mentor.
Absolutely. I watched a *normal* game last night, between two coaches who actually respected each other... Kings and Mavs. The Kings got close in the second half, but the Mavs put it safely out of reach in the fourth with like a 10-1 spurt at the end. The Kings took out Mike Bibby and Artest, so Avery called timeout and courtesy of NBA.com:

Team Timeout: Regular 2:50
Howard Substitution replaced by Buckner 2:50
Dampier Substitution replaced by Croshere 2:50
Terry Substitution replaced by Mbenga 2:50
Harris Substitution replaced by Barea 2:50

ALL of the starters immediately came out and they took the air out of the ball... just like every other game in the NBA on most every night. No need to show up the other team after they have conceded.

There isn't a single player in the NBA who feels sorry for J.R. Smith or the Nuggets. And if the Nuggets want to keep playing NBA Jam at the end of blowout games, they are going to keep getting sent to the floor. So they better work on their boxing skills.
you laugh at me?" - Del

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I agree that it's bad sportsmanship to run up the score, but I disagree that the way you answer that is by clobbering somebody, the same way I disagree with throwing at a guy for breaking up a no-hitter with a bunt. I don't feel sorry for the Nuggets and it's pretty clear they were rubbing the Knicks noses in it, but Collins' foul was dangerous and looked like he was trying to hurt Smith.

Put it in a different context -- if a guy picked off a pass in a blowout football game and was celebrating as he ran it back for a TD, would it be okay for a guy to deliver a late hit after he scored? Or grab his facemask and try to yank his neck around?

It not only makes the Knicks organization look like a joke, but sore losers as well.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Brando70 wrote:I agree that it's bad sportsmanship to run up the score, but I disagree that the way you answer that is by clobbering somebody, the same way I disagree with throwing at a guy for breaking up a no-hitter with a bunt. I don't feel sorry for the Nuggets and it's pretty clear they were rubbing the Knicks noses in it, but Collins' foul was dangerous and looked like he was trying to hurt Smith.

Put it in a different context -- if a guy picked off a pass in a blowout football game and was celebrating as he ran it back for a TD, would it be okay for a guy to deliver a late hit after he scored? Or grab his facemask and try to yank his neck around?

It not only makes the Knicks organization look like a joke, but sore losers as well.
Hey I agree completely, it's just the way it is. I hate the baseball stuff too... it's dumb that if I dance around the bases after my homer, that your pitcher is going to plunk my cleanup hitter. But it's been that way for a long time, that's the way it is always going to be, and we only complain about it at select instances. Isiah is a clown coach on his way out.

I do think that it also deserves mention that Smith wasn't hurt at all, and he popped up like a Jack O'Lantern and was obviously fine. He could have been hurt, but the bottom line is that he wasn't. The league has always held players responsible for what actually happens. When Fortson whacked Zarko a few years ago, he was suspended because of the injury that Z suffered. Had he popped up, I seriously doubt Fortson would have gotten in any trouble at all.
you laugh at me?" - Del

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Saw that Karl was accusing Isaiah of instructing his players to hurt the Nuggets.
Knicks players taking instruction? Well, I guess there is a first time for everything.

As for Karl being mad about how badly the Knicks treated Larry Brown, well let me just say that I would love for someone to treat me that badly. My whole damn extended family would never have to work again if we had what Brown got for less than 1 year's work. Larry just got treated with the same loyalty that he has shown every organization he has worked for over the years.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

He popped up like a Jack O'Lantern? What the f*ck?

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

dbdynsty25 wrote:He popped up like a Jack O'Lantern? What the f*ck?
Whooooops... not even close to Halloween, either. I meant to say, "Jack in the Box". I should have made like MC Ren and used, "pop tart"...
you laugh at me?" - Del