PSP: MLB Impressions...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Dave wrote:Dan, can we start shipping our games to you for refunds? :D
Very funny. In all sincerity, I can see myself purchasing this game without hesitation next year. With MVP no longer, 989 has made significant strides in adhering to what their fans have asked to remedy.

In the end, it really all comes down to preference.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Jack,

I was skeptical going in but for me it's definitely a keeper despite the PB/WP issue. In fact I may just forgo MVP for PSP unless it is hailed by reasonable folk as the second coming.

There are issues, sure, but really I expected there to be far more on a handheld title. Someone mentioned that the overall feeling is like Baseball Advance and that's a pretty accurate comparison. I keep coming back for another game, which doesn't happen often for me with baseball titles on any platform.

Returning it is the furthest thing from my mind - it gets the most play time of the four games I have.

Plus we're talking forty bucks as opposed to the fifty you'll shell out for MVP.

My only other beef is with my PSP rather than the game - my analog "nub" seems to stick slightly when I move it to the right - it makes locating a pitch a real pain as I either groove it or hit the guy too often. Anyone else having this problem?

FWIW, I think of all the PSP titles I've seen for some reason the graphics here impress me the most. It just looks like miniature baseball rather than a scaled-down game for a handheld. The stadiums are amazing - take a look at the shadows in Fenway with the working scoreboard - very nice stuff. Unique stances and motions seem to all be there - I could care less for the lack of player-specific faces since you really don't see them anyway at that size.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Re: Jack's question about MLB.

For a 1st gen PSP baseball game, this would ranked easily a 8.2 out of 10. Perhaps too many pass balls even when U think you had a good pitch thrown. But until MVP comes out, it'll have also its own glitches but for now it's a keeper.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

sportdan30 wrote:
Dave wrote:Dan, can we start shipping our games to you for refunds? :D
Very funny. In all sincerity, I can see myself purchasing this game without hesitation next year. With MVP no longer, 989 has made significant strides in adhering to what their fans have asked to remedy.

In the end, it really all comes down to preference.
Well still it's nice that U got some cnx with your EB fellow. Here in Canada, once the game is open, that's it, it's a used game. They used to let U try it for a week also, not anymore... I guess people were returning too many games.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

GTHobbes wrote:You can still use the guess pitch and location feature if the k zone is turned off, but I don't know how in the world db or anyone else could ever know if they've guessed right since they would not see the flashing red.

BTW, glad to see you're giving the psp version a try Todd. I'm a big Cards fan (have been since I was a little kid), and the one thing that disappoints me is not being able to see the signature stuff for Walker, Pujols, Edmonds, etc. that they have in the PS2 version. Oh well, hopefully next year's psp version will also have this stuff. I am glad to see that the psp version of MVP will have the replays from its console cousin.
On the PS2 version, with the strike zone off, if you guess the correct pitch there will be a little "ping" sound that you guessed correctly. You have to listen closely as it is not very loud.

Not sure if this is the same for the PSP version.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Well, I just can't stop the pass ball issues, and I'm starting to see why MVP has been so good for me. I really want to like MLB, really.... I just find myself comparing it to MVP.

After watching the videos again of MVP for the psp, I'm thinking I'll take MLB back when it comes out. Auto-replays, and what looks like better presentation, I just think MLB might have taken too much out of the psp version. It's probably just me trying to figure out the pitching system, but I really like pitching with the button that corresponds to the pitch instead of having to hit "X" for each pitch after selecting it.

What can I say, MVP has grabbed me this year.. to the point where if I keep my Xbox, I don't think I'll mind playing on both systems.

EDIT: after playing it most of the weekend already, the game has really grown on me.. someone told me on veteran there seemed to be less passed balls and so far, so good.

Todd

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

I love this game! It's so awesome to be able to play such a kick ass baseball game anywhere I want.

The only real issue I have is the online mode. It's pretty crap. You can't chat, you can't get ranked, you can't set-up a season, it's slow and jittery never fluid...

Everything else though is niiiiice. 8)

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Has anyone had an infield fly rule called yet? I had one the other day and a graphic came on the screen and never left for the rest of the game! It was a pain in the ass as it hindered my ability to field. Luckily, it was the 7th inning. Other than that I really haven't seen any other bugs.

I am having a lot of fun with the game, but I think that is mainly because I love baseball and I love the PSP. A slightly better than average portable baseball game is more valuable to me than a good game in another sport.

Since I know the developers check in here occassionally here is what needs to be improved to take the game to the next level. It's very important that this happens because MLB may be the only choice on PSP next year:

- Obviously, fix the passed ball/wild pitch bug. I'm not sure why you copied this from 2K5 :D I don't get it nearly as often as some people, but there are too many even for the CPU.

- Please please please fix the strike zone. Play some MVP and just flat out copy the size of that strike zone as it is just about perfect. There are pitches called strikes in MLB that have no business being called a strike.

- Fix the runner speed and arm strength.

- Add some more pitch variability. You did a good job increasing it from last year, but you didn't go nearly far enough. Add a slider for pitcher variability while you are at it.

- There needs to be much more hit variety with a large decrease in the amount of line drives. I've been playing this game since it came out and there are plenty of hit types I still haven't seen yet.

- Being able to change your defensive alignment is a necessity in a baseball game. I'm giving the game a free pass on that this year since it is a launch title, but there should be no reason to omit it next year.

989 needs to up their game next year. Besides a small yet dedicated group of fans, the sales of MLB seem pretty poor. I think they have an engine that they can work with, but they need to make improvements or they will only get a portion of MVP's sales next year by default. MLB has an identity crisis. It wants to be High Heat, but isn't as good on the field and it wants to be like MVP (pitching meter) but isn't as innovative.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Very good post Leebo.
I am having a lot of fun with the game, but I think that is mainly because I love baseball and I love the PSP. A slightly better than average portable baseball game is more valuable to me than a good game in another sport.
About the same way I feel. I'm finally taking this game in for what it is, nothing more, nothing less. It plays a believeable and fun game of baseball on a handheld. The more I snoop around, the more I'm liking this game. Just looking at the league leaders, award voting, etc... there's a lot in this game. I also LOVE hitting the select button during an AB to see stats like vs left - vs right.. nice touch.

Again, it's a blast watching the Cardinals - Astros game and playing a game of MLB at the same time... have to start supper? To sleep it goes....

So far, I've had a variety of games and scores on Veteran with minor tweaks. I like more offense in a baseball game.

Todd

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

What's supper?

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Leebo33 wrote:Has anyone had an infield fly rule called yet? I had one the other day and a graphic came on the screen and never left for the rest of the game! It was a pain in the ass as it hindered my ability to field. Luckily, it was the 7th inning. Other than that I really haven't seen any other bugs.
Haven't seen this one yet after playing the game since it's release. Bummer.
Leebo33 wrote:I am having a lot of fun with the game, but I think that is mainly because I love baseball and I love the PSP. A slightly better than average portable baseball game is more valuable to me than a good game in another sport.
Amen.
Leebo33 wrote:- Obviously, fix the passed ball/wild pitch bug. I'm not sure why you copied this from 2K5 :D I don't get it nearly as often as some people, but there are too many even for the CPU.
I've heard ppl getting much less passed balls in the middle difficulty setting (can't remember what it's called right now:))
Leebo33 wrote:- Please please please fix the strike zone. Play some MVP and just flat out copy the size of that strike zone as it is just about perfect. There are pitches called strikes in MLB that have no business being called a strike.
I wish that after the "strikeout" pitch was thrown they would show you exactly where that pitch caught the plate. Otherwise I'd have to agree that some "low" or "high" pitches seem to get called strikes. It's not bad by any means though and just takes some getting used too.
Leebo33 wrote:- Fix the runner speed and arm strength.
I love the fact that 989 chose to make some sort of in game defensive thing (for lack of a better word) that really gives you an idea how great a player is on defense. This is one of the first baseball games where I have actually felt the need to make a defensive switch in the later innings of a close game. Great job!
Leebo33 wrote:- Add some more pitch variability. You did a good job increasing it from last year, but you didn't go nearly far enough. Add a slider for pitcher variability while you are at it.
I love sliders. The more the better.
Leebo33 wrote:- There needs to be much more hit variety with a large decrease in the amount of line drives. I've been playing this game since it came out and there are plenty of hit types I still haven't seen yet.
I'm seeing a pretty decent hit variety but line drives are definitely the most common. I wish they had a "power" and a "contact" swing with the former resulting in fly balls and the latter more bouncing shots through the infield and the occasional loopers.
Leebo33 wrote:- Being able to change your defensive alignment is a necessity in a baseball game. I'm giving the game a free pass on that this year since it is a launch title, but there should be no reason to omit it next year.
Agreed.
Leebo33 wrote:989 needs to up their game next year. Besides a small yet dedicated group of fans, the sales of MLB seem pretty poor. I think they have an engine that they can work with, but they need to make improvements or they will only get a portion of MVP's sales next year by default. MLB has an identity crisis. It wants to be High Heat, but isn't as good on the field and it wants to be like MVP (pitching meter) but isn't as innovative.
I'm gonna say that MLB has improvements that need to be made but overall is a great game of baseball. I have a ton of stuff that I'd like to see in next years game but I'll save it for another post.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

MizzouRah wrote:So far, I've had a variety of games and scores on Veteran with minor tweaks. I like more offense in a baseball game.
I am playing on Veteran as well with some minor tweaks. I have had very good variety and that is a strength of the game and does give it the "just one more inning or game" feeling. If you take the game with you to the john, you can rest assured you will need to spend some time getting the feelings back in your legs after a session. :D

I started a new AL season today as the Orioles. I won the first two games 4-3 but they were totally different. The first game went 16 innings and I won it on a double and I didn't hit any homeruns. I scored 3 in the first and then didn't score again for 15 innings. In the second game I won 4-3 on a homerun by Palmiero in the bottom of the 8th. Tejada also had a homerun when I guessed the pitch and location. I lost 10-1 in the 3rd game as the bullpen blew up and made a 3-1 game a blowout.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yep Leebo, I finally started up a season myself... with the Cardinals and the first 3 games have been very different.

W 9-6 (Houston had a 6-4 lead in the 9th and I torched Lidge for 5 runs)
L 2-0 (Roger Clemens and CG shutout)
L 12-4 (Phillies hit Morris and just about everyone else at will)

If the variety stays like this, I'll be a happy camper. I'm still amazed at how much is in this hand held baseball game.

Todd

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Leeb,
What slider tweaks?

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Boom wrote:Leeb,
What slider tweaks?
Boom,

Nothing fancy. I think I have contact down a few notches for both, arm strength down all the way, and errors up three. I keep messing with the pitch speed, but I haven't settled on anything yet. I was striking out too much (even though my hits and homeruns were OK) so I started "sitting" on an area (even if I don't formally guess the pitch) with the analog nub and it's helped so far. It also seems to help a bit on the hit variety because instead of striking out 9-15 times a game I am seeing some more weakly hit balls instead.

I had a freeze last night :( The pitcher for the Yankees just stood there like he was waiting for the ball to come back from the catcher. I couldn't do anything except go into the bunt animation for some odd reason.

OmflShark
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by OmflShark »

If you switch to classic pitching, then the past ball issue goes away. Of course, the pitching meter is eliminated as well, so you have to pick your poison. I have gone to classic pitching since the past ball issue was sapping some of the fun away from the game, and I am enjoying the game more now then with the pitching meter. It also speeds up the game a little more w/o the meter.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I'm just not having that big of a issue with passed/wild pitches.

When my pitchers tire, they get wild, I just substite them.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

OmflShark wrote:If you switch to classic pitching, then the past ball issue goes away.
Not here it hasn't.

OmflShark
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by OmflShark »

DivotMaker wrote:
OmflShark wrote:If you switch to classic pitching, then the past ball issue goes away.
Not here it hasn't.
That's strange. I switched to classic pitching 10 games ago, and have not had one problem. I was averaging 1 to 3 past balls a game w/ pitching meter. I am playing veteran skill level w/ no other slider adjustments for pitching.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

OmflShark wrote:I am playing veteran skill level w/ no other slider adjustments for pitching.
I am still on Rookie...maybe that is why....

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I love using the meter and the only thing I don't like about pitching from the btp camera(s) is you don't get a display for speed of the pitch like you do if you're pitching from say, the catcher view... but it's much harder pitching from the btp camera, just like mvp.. so I still use it.

I play on Veteran - only thing on is the pitch locator, auto baserunning (I think I'm going to turn that off), and assissted fielding.

I have arm strength turned all the down for both CPU and Human, errors up 1 notch, and I think it's called throwing accuracy down 1 notch. I also have pitch speed all the way down for CPU and I still strikeout plenty. It's just hard to see the ball sometimes for me.

Todd

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Think I will need to turn the CPU pitch speed all the way down too, last game I struck out 21 times....still had fun playing though.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Darkbandit wrote:Think I will need to turn the CPU pitch speed all the way down too, last game I struck out 21 times....still had fun playing though.
I am really getting pissed at the strike outs. I could handle it for the first 10-15 games because I thought it was just me sucking, but now it is getting ridiculous. I strike out at least 8 times EVERY game and usually it is in the 10-15 range.

Is there a secret to making contact? I try and guess the pitch and location with no strikes and if I don't guess right I take the pitch, I guess pitch with one strike, and nothing with two strikes.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I still K more than average, but on veteran all you have to do is swing the bad.. I have guess pitch tuned off and now I can concentrate a little better for some reason.

With pitch speed all the way down and "catcher" as the hitting view, I'm doing much better hitting the ball. In fact, I'm seeing all kinds of hits now.

Todd

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

When I'm batting I usually give the cpu pitcher the corners b/c most of the time they are balls. I only swing when I know its coming over the plate.

Just finished a game with the Royals against J.Moyer, 8 SO's.

Also make sure you note the changed strike zone for each batter. Richie Sexson's is HUGE while someone like M.Giles is teeny.