Close Combat -- F U RobV and Scoop! :)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Close Combat -- F U RobV and Scoop! :)

Post by pk500 »

Rob, Scoop:

That was a damn good time last night shooting with you two and Seminole from OS in Close Combat: First to Fight. I played the damn game for nearly four hours straight on XBL in co-op and finished <b>one</b> map, the very first one. That Beirut University map in the tunnels was a b*tch -- we never did finish it!

Anyways, you Midwestern time zone dicks are both f*cks for twisting my arm -- with little opposition here, I might add :) -- and having me try "just one more time" after we all were killed.

I ended up going to bed at 3 a.m. (EDT) and was so jacked about our game that I didn't fall asleep until 3:15ish or so. Usually I fall asleep within 30 seconds of hitting the pillow.

It was the third or fourth consecutive night that I've been up past 2 a.m. playing this game, so when my son bounced on my bed at 7:30 a.m. as he does every morning, it was painful.

Damn you, bastards! Oh, let's do it again soon. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

That was crazy fun. The game has its quirks, but the bottom line is that it is insanely F-U-N. Looking forward to playing again soon.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

You guys stayed up late, huh?
:)

I was randomly assigned the sniper rifle when we played, and Damned if I wasn't racking up the kills. I had never used that before, and it was sick how easy it was to pick off some dudes at a distance.

Pretty useless in tight quarters, though.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

One of you cats -- I think it was Rob -- was LETHAL with the grenades. Man, you were sending two and three guys at a time flying like Raggedy Ann dolls.

Then, of course, we'd be capped by some sniper on the third floor, behind us, and wonder, "Where the f*ck did that come from?"

:)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

That was definitely fun last night. Does CC:FTF have the big production values of a R6 or GR? No, but it sure is fun. I had just picked it up yesterday and had only played about 5 minutes of single-player before jumping online with you guys so I'm sorry it took awhile to get up to snuff. I started doing much better when we changed maps and I was able to choose which class I was. When we were in the sewers I had random on and I was getting the shotgun. I kept picking up a new gun and then had to wait until you guys killed about 5 guys before I had the ammo to really help out. Maybe we can get some CC action going on in place of the GR poker night.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

OK,

So before I head to EBGames today...Tell me, does this one have legs? Do you/we expect to be playing it even after Forza arrives? I would love a good shooter, especially something easier to get into than GR but not as twitch-based as Doom etc.; does this fit the bill?

I'll admit the negative review(s) scared me off, but you guys have me at the point of purchase...

PS> If I get the game, can I be invited to your exclusive ultra-cool games, or do I have to stand outside and watch like I did so often in high school...Perhaps I've said too much... ;)
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sport73 wrote:So before I head to EBGames today...Tell me, does this one have legs?
It will with me, especially if I don't continue playing it every night for four hours. :) Seriously, it will for me. I really enjoy the complexity and fun. As Rob and Scoop aptly pointed out, the game has a few niggling flaws and isn't quite as polished as the Clancy games. But the core gameplay is dead nuts solid, really, really good, especially online.

Downloadable content is supposed to come, too, providing more maps, etc. That should provide longevity.
Sport73 wrote:Do you/we expect to be playing it even after Forza arrives?
If Forza is the monster I expect it to be, I will be playing NOTHING but Forza for a bit after it's released. But if I want to play a shooter during that span, CC: FTF will be it.
Sport73 wrote:I would love a good shooter, especially something easier to get into than GR but not as twitch-based as Doom etc.; does this fit the bill?
Honestly, I think this game is tougher than GR at the level we play: Simulation with radar off. So if the complexity or sim nature of GR turned you off, this will displease you just as much, if not more. But if you like GR-style games, you'll dig this. As RobV said twice last night while we played, "Zeppo is going to wet his pants over this game."
Sport73 wrote:PS> If I get the game, can I be invited to your exclusive ultra-cool games, or do I have to stand outside and watch like I did so often in high school...Perhaps I've said too much... ;)
Of course you're invited! Since there are only four guys max in co-op, an admitted weakness compared to GR 2, we may have to implement some sort of rotation system where we change players in rooms every 30 or 45 minutes or so, just so everyone can enjoy playing among each other. Or we can try Fire Team Arena, which allows eight guys and I think is more fun than the usual Deathmatch modes of RS:3 and RS:BA because the maps have better cover and more places to hide.

EB is selling this game for $39.99 plus a $10 mail-in voucher, so it's basically a $30 game. If you get a month or two of pure enjoyment with this title, which I can almost guarantee you will if you like GR- and RS-style games, you can unload it for probably around $20 on eBay in June or July. So it basically will be $10 for a lot of fun, and you might want to hold it even longer.

Your mileage may vary. Can you rent it to ensure it's your cup of lead and ammo?

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

One of the many things I really like about this game is the accuracy of the weapons differs so much from gun to gun, and you really need to be accurate for one-shot, one-kill deaths.

If you hit a guy in the leg or arm, he will not die. It might take four or five of those shots to put a guy down. But if you have a sniper rifle, you're going to drop guys with one shot between the eyes.

Very cool.

Take care,
PK

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

Damn you to hell guys!!! :wink:

Now I need to head out tonight and get this game, I admitedly wanted to buy it right away when I started seeing ads for it, but all the bad reviews scared me off.

Now it's a no brainer after I just read all this, and to think...all I wanted to do was play MVP / Rugby till Forza released, looks like I need another FPS! :D

Again, I emphasize...damn you all!!!! :wink:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Boltman wrote:Damn you to hell guys!!! :wink:

Now I need to head out tonight and get this game, I admitedly wanted to buy it right away when I started seeing ads for it, but all the bad reviews scared me off.

Now it's a no brainer after I just read all this, and to think...all I wanted to do was play MVP / Rugby till Forza released, looks like I need another FPS! :D

Again, I emphasize...damn you all!!!! :wink:

Bolt, PK, if anyone should be saying this, it's me. Not only do I not have it, I have no#$@% way to play it!!! You're absolutely killing me here... :? :wink:
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

tealboy03 wrote:Bolt, PK, if anyone should be saying this, it's me. Not only do I not have it, I have no#$@% way to play it!!! You're absolutely killing me here... :? :wink:
Well.... you did take a nice long break and we do miss your presence on the battlefield. Do it! Do it!
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No peer pressure here, Teal, but Scoop is right.

You would dig this game more than an archeologist who has just discovered the lost Ark.

Take care,
PK

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Given that this game is getting terrible press... but people here love it... I was thinking there would be some used ones at EB.

there was no sign of the game, new or used, on the shelf. I asked about it, he said "We don't have any used ones, but I'm hearing NOTHING good about the game. You should probably get Splinter Cell instead."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

James_E wrote:there was no sign of the game, new or used, on the shelf. I asked about it, he said "We don't have any used ones, but I'm hearing NOTHING good about the game. You should probably get Splinter Cell instead."
Couldn't be further from the truth. But a small part of me wouldn't mind if the hype-slinging register jockeys at EB continued to push people away from the game. That wouldn't help sales and a possible sequel, but it would keep a lot of hype-inhaling morons who could ruin the online experience away from this game.

So far, I have encountered nothing but cool people in random games of Close Combat. It's almost like this game has a fanatical cult following of people who really "get" this game, what's it's trying to do and how it's supposed to be played. I've never had a better experience hooking up with randoms in a first-person shooter than I have with Close Combat.

Consider me a member of the cult. :)

Take care,
PK

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

tealboy03 wrote: Bolt, PK, if anyone should be saying this, it's me. Not only do I not have it, I have no#$@% way to play it!!! You're absolutely killing me here... :? :wink:
Teal,

Knowing how you are amused by my repeated and random stupidity in R6, I can definitely say that you will love this game. I'm getting killed in new and creative ways with startling regularity.

C'mon, get a used xbox and get back in the game! Your kids are sick of you anyway!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

ScoopBrady wrote:
tealboy03 wrote:Bolt, PK, if anyone should be saying this, it's me. Not only do I not have it, I have no#$@% way to play it!!! You're absolutely killing me here... :? :wink:
Well.... you did take a nice long break and we do miss your presence on the battlefield. Do it! Do it!

I'd love to, but right now it isn't going to happen. Money is tighter than a string on a tennis racket. I have another job opportunity that will soon come to fruition, so I might after that...

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:No peer pressure here, Teal, but Scoop is right.

You would dig this game more than an archeologist who has just discovered the lost Ark.

Take care,
PK

You know me, don't you? I know I would love it. As a matter of fact, I got a lump in my throat after selling my Xbox when it dawned on me that I wouldn't be able to play CC. So sad... :cry:

RobVarak wrote:Teal,

Knowing how you are amused by my repeated and random stupidity in R6, I can definitely say that you will love this game. I'm getting killed in new and creative ways with startling regularity.

C'mon, get a used xbox and get back in the game! Your kids are sick of you anyway!

"I got you now, Mother@#$%er!" :lol: I still chuckle about that one night. I may not have the quote exactly right, but the spirit of it is still there, you talking trash to the AI right before the AI gave you a grenade enema... :lol:

If things play themselves out right in the coming weeks...well, we'll see...

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Okay, caved in and picked this up yesterday and suckered Sport73 into it as well. Played about 20 minutes offline then jumped on last night and played for over an hour online and all i can say is that i am really enjoying this game. Sport and I jumped into Co-op mode, two random's entered with us (luckily they were good guys) and we went at it. It got really tough at a few points (which i liked) and i always felt like "oh man, i know someone's got a bead on me but i can't see where he is..........HELP!!!". Nerve wracking as hell but very cool.

I am NOT disappointed in the least that i picked up this game. Not to mention, my EB had a Forza demo disc for me to take as well so it turned out to be a great trip to the store!!!

Hope to see you guys online for a little CC:FTF in the near future and a huge thanks to PK for sucking another $40 out of my pocket.

Question, because i hate manuals, can someone tell me what other modes there are online besides co-op. Thanks.

marino
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by marino »

Anyone playing tonight?

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Just wanted to second Rally's comments on the game.

We weren't playing the tougher and what sounds like 'better' simulation level without radar (which I can imagine adds a LOT more tension to the game), but this game is the ideal mix of the thinking required in Full Spectrum Warrior with the shooting of a Ghost Recon. very cool.

PK wins the award for the best 'under the radar' game recommendation so far this year, and the runner up for 'why not just send me your money instead, it's not staying in your wallet' award just behind all of us who got PSP's and tempted others to do the same...
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sport, Rally:

Glad to hear it, man. Really gratifying that you dig CC, as I hate to pimp a game this hard, encourage cats to spend $40 and then have them think it's a pile of steaming, radioactive turd.
RallyMonkey wrote:Question, because i hate manuals, can someone tell me what other modes there are online besides co-op. Thanks.
Online modified co-op, which is co-op with more choice of weapons, and Fire Team Arena, which is four-on-four deathmatch. Not a lot of modes. Maybe downloadable content will add more.

Some people have moaned that there are only six maps in this game. True, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. Each map has many missions or objectives in it, and most of those missions and objectives are as long as an entire Rainbow Six co-op map. So yeah, there aren't a ton of maps, but each map is DEEP.

It took Scoop, RobV, Seminole and I around two hours or slightly more just to finish the first map Saturday night on Simulation level with no radar.

Take care,
PK