PSP: MLB Impressions...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Interesting to see how some people are comparing a game that's not even out yet such as MVP?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Interesting to see how some people are comparing a game that's not even out yet such as MVP?
Read the thread...we're comparing the console versions.

Damn rookies.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Interesting to see how some people are comparing a game that's not even out yet such as MVP?
Read the thread...we're comparing the console versions.

Damn rookies.
Well even at that, MVP hardly "kills" MLB on any system. Yes there are issues with MLB, most notably the technical issues such as the freezing and your settings changing by themselves, but on the field gameplay is very, very close. For Todd to say that GTHobbes doesn't know anything about baseball games is quite pretentious.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

No, to say MLB 2006 is the best baseball game in 20 years is ludicris.

Todd

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

MizzouRah wrote:No, to say MLB 2006 is the best baseball game in 20 years is ludicris.

Todd
Well we've been through this before so I won't rehash it, but he's not the only one saying that. Go over to the MLB forums at OS and you'll see plenty of posts from guys saying it's the best game they've ever played...but I guess they're all morons too.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Badgun wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:No, to say MLB 2006 is the best baseball game in 20 years is ludicris.

Todd
Well we've been through this before so I won't rehash it, but he's not the only one saying that. Go over to the MLB forums at OS and you'll see plenty of posts from guys saying it's the best game they've ever played...but I guess they're all morons too.
Ummmm, yeah...that's why we hang out here and not there.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Well, after this weekend I'm definitely in love with this game. I'm 2-1 in my Cubbies season and now that I'm using the Outfield pitching view and using the guess pitch and location feature I'm having great games. I'm definitely interested in what MVP will bring to the table but I'm worried about load times if they have a lot of cutscenes and it's $20 more than the console versions.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Excuse me MR 5535 posts (U know who U R, senior ) if you're comparing consoles of the 2 games then take it to another forum. I thought this is about the PSP version.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Excuse me MR 5535 posts (U know who U R, senior ) if you're comparing consoles of the 2 games then take it to another forum. I thought this is about the PSP version.
That would be a different 'thread', not a forum.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Badgun wrote:Go over to the MLB forums at OS and you'll see plenty of posts from guys saying it's the best game they've ever played...but I guess they're all morons too.
90% of the OS posters ARE indeed morons. Your statement is correct.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

ScoopBrady wrote:Well, after this weekend I'm definitely in love with this game. I'm 2-1 in my Cubbies season and now that I'm using the Outfield pitching view and using the guess pitch and location feature I'm having great games. I'm definitely interested in what MVP will bring to the table but I'm worried about load times if they have a lot of cutscenes and it's $20 more than the console versions.
The guess pitch and location feature is awesome. Even when you guess right, there's no guarantee that you're going to make contact or hit anything other than a line drive to 2nd base. I get almost as much out of NOT guessing right as I do when I do guess right. If I guess wrong, it helps narrow in my mind what pitch may be coming. It's like a game within a game each at bat.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

GT, I agree with you. Sometimes, I'll just guess whichever pitch I am struggling with (changeup, for instance), and if I guess wrong, then at least I won't get blown away by a fastball when expecting change.

But, I will say that this game makes me realize just how useful the hitter's eye feature is in MVP. Did I read that this function will not be making its way to the PSP? Bummer, if true.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I agree...I like the idea of the hitters eye in MVP. Both of those features are great for their game. I'm pretty sure hitters eye will not be in the psp version but I hope I'm wrong.

One other great thing I haven't seen mentioned too much, and I'm sure the same will hold true for MVP whenever its released, is the sleep mode on the PSP. I'm playing a day game against the Braves with the Cardinals (fwiw, I'm not having any problem picking up the ball at the Ted, which looks great in the day on MLB PSP), and I've been able to start up the same game, with no loading whatsoever, and get in a couple of innings before putting it back in sleep mode. Now I'm actually looking forward to having to wait when I go places. Imagine that.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Abso-freaking-lutely. The sleep function is one of those functions that, once you use it, makes you wonder why the heck it took so long for it to be implemented on a hand-held.

It is perfect for baseball. I can usually get in about 4-5 innings on my ride into work and then finish the game on the way home. As the weather gets nicer here, I'm going to walk to my 'town' bus, adding about 15 minutes of playing time each way. I'm not complaining about that one bit :D
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Badgun wrote:

Todd
There are also people over there who say MLB 2k5 is the best game out there, so what's your point?

If I had a psp, I would actually give MLB a shot once again.. no doubt about it. I just can't see playing the same games on my Xbox and the psp. I do wonder if career modes will ever be available in sports games on the psp? Maybe Madden 2k6 will have one in the psp version? Although I'm sure sooner or later I'll get a psp, even if sports games only have season modes.

Todd

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

MizzouRah wrote:
Badgun wrote:

Todd
There are also people over there who say MLB 2k5 is the best game out there, so what's your point?

If I had a psp, I would actually give MLB a shot once again.. no doubt about it. I just can't see playing the same games on my Xbox and the psp. I do wonder if career modes will ever be available in sports games on the psp? Maybe Madden 2k6 will have one in the psp version? Although I'm sure sooner or later I'll get a psp, even if sports games only have season modes.

Todd
You make a valid point and now that I am trying to get a feel for MVP on my Xbox, I see no need to buy a stripped down version of the game to play on my PSP. I have sent my PS2 version of MLB back to Sony and they claim that they are going to replace it with a non-defective version so we will see. But MLB on the PSP is like a whole new game...I can finally play a 9 inning game without worrying about it freezing up on me. :lol:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Badgun wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:
Badgun wrote: Well we've been through this before so I won't rehash it, but he's not the only one saying that. Go over to the MLB forums at OS and you'll see plenty of posts from guys saying it's the best game they've ever played...but I guess they're all morons too.

Todd
You make a valid point and now that I am trying to get a feel for MVP on my Xbox, I see no need to buy a stripped down version of the game to play on my PSP. I have sent my PS2 version of MLB back to Sony and they claim that they are going to replace it with a non-defective version so we will see. But MLB on the PSP is like a whole new game...I can finally play a 9 inning game without worrying about it freezing up on me. :lol:
That's great to hear. That will be the first game I get for the psp when I eventually get it. :)

Todd

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Woohoo, after a lot of hunting and paying a $50 premium, I did finally manage to locate a PSP in my brief time back in the states, and along with it MLB, TW, WTS and GH.

I haven't had a chance to follow the whole thread, but let me say right away that MLB for PSP is the best baseball experience I've had since HH 2006. It's nearly perfect, and that it runs on a portable is just amazing.

There does seem to be some serious problems with passed balls and wild pitches, though. Some games I've had two or three in an inning, even on pitches up that seem to hit the sweet spot.

But aside from that, it plays a phenomenal game of baseball. Definitely my favorite since HH.

While OT, thought I'd chime in on the others - TW is stunning in every area but the load times, and plays much more like the PC version than the console. Not sure why they left out an IRL desert course, though. Maybe it's that way in the consoles as well, I dunno.

WTS is surprisingly good. It's no WE (although that is supposed to be coming for the PSP somewhere down the road), but likely will be good enough until WE is released.

Gretsky just flat out blows, IMO. I don't know if I have a bad copy or what, but the frame rate issues are so severe I can't believe they actually shipped the thing like that. Add to that some braindead AI (like guys that stay in the opposing end of the rink) and it is absolutely no fun to play, which is a shame since it looks nice enough, has a full license, retro uniforms, etc.

I am pleasantly surprised with the PSP so far. Very much so. Seems to be a real dearth of sports titles at launch, which I hope changes soon.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I too love HH 2006...it'll be a beauty next year.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Blublub wrote:Gretsky just flat out blows, IMO. I don't know if I have a bad copy or what, but the frame rate issues are so severe I can't believe they actually shipped the thing like that. Add to that some braindead AI (like guys that stay in the opposing end of the rink) and it is absolutely no fun to play
You didn't get a bad copy. I am not a fan of the game either and traded it in rather quickly. I thought the game was just average with a bad framerate, but then I played a couple games of NHL 2K5 last night for the first time in months and realized Gretzky is horrible in comparison. I guess I could have had more fun out of Gretzky PSP if the last hockey game I played was NHL 98.

The cool thing about MLB is that it plays a great game of baseball. It may not be the best I've played in 20 years, but I don't feel like I am sacrificing anything by playing it instead of a game on the PS2 or Xbox. When I was playing Gretzky I went through stages:

- "I can't believe this is on a handheld"
- "Hmmm this is pretty basic", "...But, it's on a handheld!"
- "Damn, the AI is pitiful", "Why can't I skate backwards?", "Maybe they messed up the slider because this can't be as slow as the game gets"
- "I don't care if it is on a handheld it's still a poor game."

In comparison, when I play MLB I always think "This is impressive. It plays almost exactly like the PS2 version, which is a good game!" In fact, I'm selling my PS2 version.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Just a question:

What happens when you play game after game, then no playoffs.. season is over? Or even if you win the WS? Start a new season with a different team?

I'm just asking since it's been quite some time I've ever played a season mode instead of franchise (owner) mode in a sports game and that's what's really holding me back from purchasing a psp. Do you think there will ever be say, an MLB 2007 game that has a franchise mode? I just don't see myself wanting to start with a team like Pittsburgh because there's no chance to rebuild them in one season.

Todd

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I can't imagine that there won't be franchise modes in future games. Is there anything that would limit developers ability to include it besides time and priority? I'm sure the first batch of titles released are fairly rushed and they are just concentrating on the core gameplay and the graphics. It's not a big deal for me because I like to play all/most of my team's games. The only sports that I need a franchise mode for is football due to the length of the schedule and possibly college basketball. Of course, I've never really been impressed with franchise modes in those sports either. I usually see problems such as a plethora of unsigned stars, poor draft logic, the recruiting is too easy, or the schedules are hosed.

I'll probably start separate seasons with AL and NL teams. If I even make it a quarter of the way through the season in both it will mean I got more than my money's worth out of the purchase.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MLB is going back to the store. I've given it a good week to try and satisfy my baseball handheld needs.

For me, the passed balls and wild pitches is just killing my enjoyment of this game. At times, it just seems that there's no ryhme or reason why a slider is five feet off the plate and to the backstop. There's definitely something screwy with the breaking balls in this game. Noteably the slider. I'll have it what I think is aimed perfectly on the outside corner and the frickin' ball will go sailing nowhere close to the catcher.

Asside from the glaring issue above, the presentation is phenomenal, the player models and their animations are perfect, but it just doesn't have that "fun" factor to me.

Cannon arms are still too unrealistic even with the slider turned all the way down. You don't get those bloop doubles that you would see playing MVP. Weak throwing outfielders should have weak throws. Not the case in this game.

With arm accuracy tuned down a couple notches, offline throws are present but the balance is off in my eyes. Throws from the second baseman to the first baseman more times than not should be routine, but it's not.

Defensively, MLB couldn't hold MVP's jock strap. It's such a joy playing defense in MVP. You actually feel completely in control. You can back up on a fly and try and gun a runner going for home. Too often in MLB, they make some herky jerky motion to catch a fly ball....weird.

Also, the strike zone is just a little too unbalanced. It's a crap shoot whether or not a low pitch is going to be called a strike or a ball. I've seen pitches that seem way too low being called strikes and vice versa. I seemingly can never get a good idea of what is a strike and what isn't. There's just something about the ball that doesn't appear as though it comes all the way through the zone like it does on MVP. Perhaps this game is geared for the "guess pitch" feature.

I'm glad there is a variety of video baseball games out on store shelves that can make everyone happy.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Leebo33 wrote:I can't imagine that there won't be franchise modes in future games. Is there anything that would limit developers ability to include it besides time and priority? I'm sure the first batch of titles released are fairly rushed and they are just concentrating on the core gameplay and the graphics. It's not a big deal for me because I like to play all/most of my team's games. The only sports that I need a franchise mode for is football due to the length of the schedule and possibly college basketball. Of course, I've never really been impressed with franchise modes in those sports either. I usually see problems such as a plethora of unsigned stars, poor draft logic, the recruiting is too easy, or the schedules are hosed.

I'll probably start separate seasons with AL and NL teams. If I even make it a quarter of the way through the season in both it will mean I got more than my money's worth out of the purchase.
Well, if Madden has a franchise mode on the psp, I just might break down and get one. :)

Todd

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:There's definitely something screwy with the breaking balls in this game. Noteably the slider. I'll have it what I think is aimed perfectly on the outside corner and the frickin' ball will go sailing nowhere close to the catcher.
You do know that your aiming where the pitch STARTS to break, not where it will end up right? That's the thing about MLB (console and psp)...you have to get used to how much each pitch breaks (it changes as the pitcher gets tired too), that way you can start the ball out in the correct spot so that it doesn't fly all over the place. I think that's the biggest problem that people have with the game...they don't understand that about the pitching.