PSP: MLB Impressions...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

IGN and Gamespot reviewed it tonight and both gave it an 8.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

ScoopBrady wrote:IGN and Gamespot reviewed it tonight and both gave it an 8.
I guess that means MVP will get a solid 9.0. :roll:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Badgun wrote:
:lol:

I think EA is a little tighter since the NFL payoout....I look for an 8.8 and 8.4.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

when does MVP for PSP come out?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

this trouble seeing the ball in FL worries me, since I like to play my season as the Marlins. Can u just change the weather to night before the game? Wouldn't that fix the problem?

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

SOmeone posted earlier if you choose you can play all your games at night, but you have to do this BEFORE you start your season. I'm 5 games in and I think I might just start over and choose all night games.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am interested in knowing if anyone has found an ideal game setting including camera angles etc for MLB.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

10spro wrote:I am interested in knowing if anyone has found an ideal game setting including camera angles etc for MLB.
The good thing about the game (at least for me) is that I can run with close to default Veteran. I just lower the contact 5, arm strength all the way down, and up errors a couple ticks. I am getting very good results and plenty of score variations. I'm striking out too much, but gradually getting my totals down with more practice. I use the catcher view to hit and the pitcher or outfield camera to pitch.

I can see myself playing this a ton. The game could use more pitch variability and a smaller strike zone, but other than that it's real solid. I really haven't seen too many questionable CPU AI decisions. It could be dumb luck that I haven't run across anything zany yet or maybe they tweaked it a bit, but the CPU is bunting when appropriate, running the basepaths well, and making the proper substitutions.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Badgun wrote:
I don't have a psp, but just from the videos MVP looks better, imo. The console version of MVP kills MLB, why wouldn't the psp game? :roll:

Todd

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:I don't have a psp, but just from the videos MVP looks better, imo. The console version of MVP kills MLB, why wouldn't the psp game? :roll:
That's kind of what I'm thinking as I play more and more of MLB on the PSP. MVP will probably be better. What's the worst that can happen...I trade in MLB when MVP is released...no harm done.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

MizzouRah wrote:
Badgun wrote:
I don't have a psp, but just from the videos MVP looks better, imo. The console version of MVP kills MLB, why wouldn't the psp game? :roll:

Todd
MVP will be good for the automatic replays. But I disagree 100% with your statement that "[t]he console version of MVP kills MLB[.]" After almost a month of solid play, I can honestly say that the PS2 version of MLB is the best baseball game I've played in the last 20+ years. I'm not a career or franchise mode guy, but I'd be hard pressed to find a single complaint with MLB's season mode on PS2. Great game. Just a shame the PSP version removed the batter walk ups and other elements of the presentation. If they'd let that stuff in, I'd have no interest in MVP whatsoever.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

there is a nice article on ign comparing the 2 bb games on the PSP.

p.s doesn't MVP come out Mon?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

GTHobbes wrote:MVP will be good for the automatic replays. But I disagree 100% with your statement that "[t]he console version of MVP kills MLB[.]" After almost a month of solid play, I can honestly say that the PS2 version of MLB is the best baseball game I've played in the last 20+ years. I'm not a career or franchise mode guy, but I'd be hard pressed to find a single complaint with MLB's season mode on PS2. Great game. Just a shame the PSP version removed the batter walk ups and other elements of the presentation. If they'd let that stuff in, I'd have no interest in MVP whatsoever.
And have you played MVP 2005 for the consoles...especially the Xbox? Or did you just decide that MLB was a great game and not even try the other games released this year? I cannot see how MLB is the best game in 20+ years. That's fine, it's your opinion, but there are quite a few things wrong with the game (hit variety, cannons in the field, freezing)...but then again, it does a lot of things well too. In MVP, I just don't find any faults that are as crippling as MLB's. And I was a HUGE fan coming into this years game. Last years was the best game available (even with it's limitations).

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

GTHobbes wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:
Badgun wrote: I guess that means MVP will get a solid 9.0. :roll:

Todd
MVP will be good for the automatic replays. But I disagree 100% with your statement that "[t]he console version of MVP kills MLB[.]" After almost a month of solid play, I can honestly say that the PS2 version of MLB is the best baseball game I've played in the last 20+ years. I'm not a career or franchise mode guy, but I'd be hard pressed to find a single complaint with MLB's season mode on PS2. Great game. Just a shame the PSP version removed the batter walk ups and other elements of the presentation. If they'd let that stuff in, I'd have no interest in MVP whatsoever.
*Yawn*

You might be the only 1 or 2 people that say this on the planet. Solid play? ..are you kidding me? That's laughable to say the least. In fact saying it's the best baseball game you've played in the last 20 + years about sums up how much I value what you say about baseball games.

Sheeshh... the MLB blinders are on. I'm not loyal to any gaming company, but MLB just didn't cut it this year and MVP got its s*** together.

Todd

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I'm not going to argue with you guys, I've got better things to do...And really I couldn't give two shits if you like MLB or not. Yes, I've owned and played all of the games this year (ESPN included), and to me it's a no-brainer. Todd, I thought you were the guy that never got around to picking up MLB this year? If I'm wrong, I apologize. But if I'm right, then how can you make and then try to defend such statements?

Either way, I don't really care. But I know a good baseball game when I see one, and IMHO MLB is the much better game for the consoles. It remains to be seen which one I'll prefer on the PSP.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

GTHobbes wrote:I'm not going to argue with you guys...I couldn't give two shits if you like MLB or not. Yes, I've owned and played all of the games this year (ESPN included), and to me it's a no-brainer. Todd, I thought you were the guy that never got around to picking up MLB this year? If I'm wrong, I apologize. But if I'm right, then how can you make and then try to defend such statements?

Either way, I don't really care. But I know a good baseball game when I see one, and IMHO MLB is the much better game for the consoles. It remains to be seen which one I'll prefer on the PSP.
Yes, I played it for a week, then sold it on ebay. I've admitted I didn't give it as much playing time as I should, but compared to MVP - it just didn't play as well or as fun. The commentary and little animations are top notch in MLB, but the bugs in franchise mode, rocket arms, and overall "not as fun as MVP was out of the box" had me selling it on ebay.

MLB has issues, it's been posted over and over again. I just don't get it when you say it's the best game in 20+ years? I'm glad you like it so much, but I sense some EA hatred... maybe I'm wrong??

Back to the psp, what makes anyone think either game will be much different than it's console brother(s)?

Todd

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

No, you're right...I do hate EA from the bottom of my heart for eliminating ESPN NFL as competition. But if MVP was the best baseball game on the market IMO, then I'd say so and give credit where I thought credit was due. I turned down the arm strength sliders in MLB, have never had a freeze and do not play in franchise mode. Guess that's why I'm able to enjoy MLB so much more than you did in your one week of play. I stopped playing MVP in about the same amount of time so I can't really criticize the gameplay in that game. I just didn't like the generic batting stances and such compared to MLB, and I never really did get the hang of hitting.

Anyways, glad you enjoy MVP. But I just don't think it's fair to make blanket statements about MLB when you haven't really spent that much time with the game. I've seen some others on here (cincikid comes to mind) that have spent a lot of time with the game and seem to feel the same way about MLB as I do. It's a great game...especially if you are not a franchise mode guy.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

GTHobbes wrote:and I never really did get the hang of hitting.
At least we know why you don't like it...you're too hard headed to learn a "new" and in my opinion, more realistic, approach to hitting that results in a much wider array of hits. It's all good if it doesn't float your boat...it's just been proven that people who haven't played the series to death need quite a bit of time to adjust to the hitting model and if you didn't give it that chance, then at least we know why you like MLB. It's not because it's a better game. I hated MVP last year (and LOVED MLB)...I never gave it the chance because of the bugs last year...this year, there weren't any (or any obvious), so I gave it the chance and it's been outstanding ever since.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

GTHobbes wrote:No, you're right...I do hate EA from the bottom of my heart for eliminating ESPN NFL as competition. But if MVP was the best baseball game on the market IMO, then I'd say so and give credit where I thought credit was due. I turned down the arm strength sliders in MLB, have never had a freeze and do not play in franchise mode. Guess that's why I'm able to enjoy MLB so much more than you did in your one week of play. I stopped playing MVP in about the same amount of time so I can't really criticize the gameplay in that game. I just didn't like the generic batting stances and such compared to MLB, and I never really did get the hang of hitting.

Anyways, glad you enjoy MVP. But I just don't think it's fair to make blanket statements about MLB when you haven't really spent that much time with the game. I've seen some others on here (cincikid comes to mind) that have spent a lot of time with the game and seem to feel the same way about MLB as I do. It's a great game...especially if you are not a franchise mode guy.
Well, I could care less who makes a certain sports game, I just want to have realistic games and that "one more game" feeling. After playing MVP due to the earlier release date and having tons of fun, MLB was just "ok" in my book. You are right though, I'm a franchise player and MVP's is much better than MLB's - at least I've read - in the long run.

I love the presentation and commentary in MLB, hats off to 989 for those features, but the gameplay just isn't as polished as MVP.. imo. You can have all the batting, pitching, and fielding animations you want, but for me it's all about gameplay. ;)

Todd

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
GTHobbes wrote:and I never really did get the hang of hitting.
At least we know why you don't like it...you're too hard headed to learn a "new" and in my opinion, more realistic, approach to hitting that results in a much wider array of hits. It's all good if it doesn't float your boat...it's just been proven that people who haven't played the series to death need quite a bit of time to adjust to the hitting model and if you didn't give it that chance, then at least we know why you like MLB. It's not because it's a better game. I hated MVP last year (and LOVED MLB)...I never gave it the chance because of the bugs last year...this year, there weren't any (or any obvious), so I gave it the chance and it's been outstanding ever since.
I think thats the thing that is the hardest to get use to, the mvp hitting model. I absolutely hated it but I forced myself to learn and and now I LOVE this game. Even if I didn't learn the hitting model, the game was still very good imo since it was the most complete baseball game out ever on a console. But once I got past the hitting model hurdle, this game is turning out to be one of the best baseball games I've ever played. Maybe HH had a better cpu ai when it comes to cpu managerial decisions, but MVP05 is not that far behind. I say that since the cpu in mvp always walks bonds even if he's the lead run in the bot. of the 9th in a tie game. Thats the only cpu AI flaw I've seen with this game that is consistent.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Weaver2005 wrote:But once I got past the hitting model hurdle, this game is turning out to be one of the best baseball games I've ever played. Maybe HH had a better cpu ai when it comes to cpu managerial decisions, but MVP05 is not that far behind.
That is pretty much everyone's answer after they play MVP for a while. You just have to stick it out for the first 20-30 games. After you get past that first hurdle, there is a beauty of a game waiting for you.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

IRL, I've watched Bonds intentionally walked with the bases loaded before.

8O

Todd

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Hasn't this 'new' MVP batting system been around for 3 years now?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ScoopBrady wrote:Hasn't this 'new' MVP batting system been around for 3 years now?
Which is exactly why I said, if you hadn't played MVP extensively before, then you need to get used to it this year.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For the rest of us "Who really cares about the game of baseball" instead of seeing those 2 arguing which game is better....any other suggestions about settings on MLB which brings the game to a other level?