Midnight Club 3 Impressions...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Midnight Club 3 Impressions...

Post by Spooky »

Sorry, I don't have any, but apparently the game should be availible today (or early this evening). I am hoping others can provide some impressions as I am quite curious about this title. However, I am REALLY trying to hold out for the PSP version, which, of course, has been pushed back until mid-May.

One specific question I do have though, does anyone know if the PSP version will be online capable??? I cannot seem to find anything regarding the PSP online/multiplayer features one way or another.

So, who is planning on picking this title up?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Well, I ended up picking this game up last night and was able to put in about an hour play time into it…here are some early impressions:

My very initial impression was, this is what NFS:U 2 should have been! From the overall sense of speed to the style, it already seems to surpass the second NFS:U game. This game is fast, like, burnout fast. In fact, there are quite a few similarities between this game and Burnout 3 in terms of gameplay, speed and overall control. Which, to most here, would be seen as a very good thing.

Presentation:

From the menu’s to the actual gameplay, the game is pretty darn slick looking. Now, it definitely has that Rockstar Games overall look and feel, but the presentation is exactly what it should be for a racer/car customize’r type game. The initial city to race in is San Diego and since I have never been there I cannot really comment on the authenticity, however, the environment is HUGE and is laid out quite nicely. I play a bit of MC2 but honestly cannot remember that much about it so I cannot compare as much as I’d like to, but this game, in most respects, is totally on par with the current generation of slick games as far as the presentation goes. The interface is laid out nicely and all controls are completely customizable.

Graphics:

A HUGE improvement from MC:2, but still very Rockstar-esque (GTA-like). This is not a bad thing, but is also not anywhere close to something like GT4 quality. In comparing the graphics to NFS:U2 I would say it’s a bit of a toss up. I like the overall presentation, sense of speed, car models and even effects better in MC:3 but the overall city/environments are a bit better in NFS:U2. MC:3 does have nice lighting though and the shift from dusk to midnight to dawn effects are very well done. The Nitrous effect is super cool too! One other thing to note is that the game looks almost as if it is running in 720p, especially the menus, but I cannot confirm. It is just SUPER crisp and bright looking. Very well done from that standpoint.

Sound:

Absolutely GREAT surround use, but other than that, it is standard fare. With the typical music selection.

]
Gameplay:

While there are no crash modes, the games overall feel and pace is on par with Burnout 3, set in the style of the Midnight Club series. The overall control is very arcade like, but tight and solid (even with using the initial cars series). There is a steering sensitivity option but I have yet to mess with it since the default seems fine right now. Overall it seems a bit less ‘floaty’ than NFS:U2, and it has to be with the insane speeds you can hit.

The ‘Career’ mode is fairly standard fare and straight forward. You buy your initial car, race it around town, upgrade it and move on, ect... I am sure there will be a bit more to it and some nice additions here and there, but that is the basic meat of it. Which is fine.

Online is similar to the last installment but with some additions (of which I cannot immediately notice, but I am sure they’re there). I only played online for a race or two. They were extremely smooth and lag free. Interface is good and the customization seems more than adequate. I’ll have to give this more play time, but actually see myself playing this more offline than on.

Overall the gameplay is predictable, but quite solid and seems like it will definitely provide fans of this series (and these types of games in general) and very fun ride. It looks good, controls well, has a TON of options and upgrades/cars, ect… Off hand there is really nothing I can complain about.

One thing I can definitely say, if Rockstar can truly pull off this full game on the PSP, I will be in absolute awe and heaven!!!! This will be a must-have for the PSP if it is the entire console game (and online to boot! – hopefully!).

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

do you have to mod your car to succeed or can you just race?

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255467.asp

Ships 5/9/05 for the PSP.

Thanx for the impressions Spook.

If it plays a bit like Burnout 3 then I'm there. (For the PSP I mean :D )
Last edited by jLp vAkEr0 on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

JackB1 wrote:do you have to mod your car to succeed or can you just race?
You have to add/buy the neccesary upgrades when they become availible / you can afford them to keep up in the newer races. Very much like the NFS:U series.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

I don't know spooky. I rented the PS2 version for my son and I've dabbled into it for about 20-30 minutes. Way too early to really tell for sure, but those 20-30 minutes didn't leave nearly the impression that NFS: U2 did.

Right now I'm just not feeling it.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

Spooky wrote:Well, I ended up picking this game up last night and was able to put in about an hour play time into it…here are some early impressions:

My very initial impression was, this is what NFS:U 2 should have been! From the overall sense of speed to the style, it already seems to surpass the second NFS:U game. This game is fast, like, burnout fast. In fact, there are quite a few similarities between this game and Burnout 3 in terms of gameplay, speed and overall control. Which, to most here, would be seen as a very good thing.

Presentation:

From the menu’s to the actual gameplay, the game is pretty darn slick looking. Now, it definitely has that Rockstar Games overall look and feel, but the presentation is exactly what it should be for a racer/car customize’r type game. The initial city to race in is San Diego and since I have never been there I cannot really comment on the authenticity, however, the environment is HUGE and is laid out quite nicely. I play a bit of MC2 but honestly cannot remember that much about it so I cannot compare as much as I’d like to, but this game, in most respects, is totally on par with the current generation of slick games as far as the presentation goes. The interface is laid out nicely and all controls are completely customizable.

Graphics:

A HUGE improvement from MC:2, but still very Rockstar-esque (GTA-like). This is not a bad thing, but is also not anywhere close to something like GT4 quality. In comparing the graphics to NFS:U2 I would say it’s a bit of a toss up. I like the overall presentation, sense of speed, car models and even effects better in MC:3 but the overall city/environments are a bit better in NFS:U2. MC:3 does have nice lighting though and the shift from dusk to midnight to dawn effects are very well done. The Nitrous effect is super cool too! One other thing to note is that the game looks almost as if it is running in 720p, especially the menus, but I cannot confirm. It is just SUPER crisp and bright looking. Very well done from that standpoint.

Sound:

Absolutely GREAT surround use, but other than that, it is standard fare. With the typical music selection.

]
Gameplay:

While there are no crash modes, the games overall feel and pace is on par with Burnout 3, set in the style of the Midnight Club series. The overall control is very arcade like, but tight and solid (even with using the initial cars series). There is a steering sensitivity option but I have yet to mess with it since the default seems fine right now. Overall it seems a bit less ‘floaty’ than NFS:U2, and it has to be with the insane speeds you can hit.

The ‘Career’ mode is fairly standard fare and straight forward. You buy your initial car, race it around town, upgrade it and move on, ect... I am sure there will be a bit more to it and some nice additions here and there, but that is the basic meat of it. Which is fine.

Online is similar to the last installment but with some additions (of which I cannot immediately notice, but I am sure they’re there). I only played online for a race or two. They were extremely smooth and lag free. Interface is good and the customization seems more than adequate. I’ll have to give this more play time, but actually see myself playing this more offline than on.

Overall the gameplay is predictable, but quite solid and seems like it will definitely provide fans of this series (and these types of games in general) and very fun ride. It looks good, controls well, has a TON of options and upgrades/cars, ect… Off hand there is really nothing I can complain about.

One thing I can definitely say, if Rockstar can truly pull off this full game on the PSP, I will be in absolute awe and heaven!!!! This will be a must-have for the PSP if it is the entire console game (and online to boot! – hopefully!).

All that "like Burnout 3" talk is driving me insane! I'm starting to think I need this game (at least for my kid). :D

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I picked up the Xbox version, and am pretty impressed with the game. It is much better than Street Racing Syndicate, and more fun than Need for Speed Underground 2. Haven't tried it online yet, but plan to tonight.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Boom wrote:I don't know spooky. I rented the PS2 version for my son and I've dabbled into it for about 20-30 minutes. Way too early to really tell for sure, but those 20-30 minutes didn't leave nearly the impression that NFS: U2 did.

Right now I'm just not feeling it.
Whatever dude. You obviously do not know games. :wink:

Kidding of course. Yeah, I can see this going either way for people. It might give some folks a 'been there, done that' feeling. I just think it is well put together and to me, feels more like what a street racing game should be a bit more than NFS:U2. Plus with the Burnout 3 like speeds (which I sorely missed in NFS:U2) there is bound to be some fun.

I also really like the new 'special moves' you can perform (Zone, Agro and Roar). While they are extrememly gimmicky and arcade, they add some strategy and depth with lots of cool effects and fun.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

I was feeling like trying something new tonight, so I rented it.

I thoroughly enjoy it. The driving model is quite arcade but that's fine, that's what the game is trying to be. The game seems like a mix of Midtown Madness 3, NFS, and Burnout 3.

I played a few arcade races, and also went into career mode and bought a car, and played a bit. I've decided I'm going to do all the things I see the "street racer" crowd doing to their cars, that I would NEVER do in real life. First thing I did was buy a gawdy, huge-but-useless spoiler for the back of my dodge SRT. One of those "what in the hell was that guy thinking?" spoilers. Threw in a turbo upgrade and brake upgrade and breezed through a few of the career races. I'm hoping to get me a nice fat exhaust and some of those stickers that I'm convinced increase horsepower! :wink:

So far I really like the game. Only tried offline mode, and stayed in San Diego. Control of the cars is tight and not floaty. Those f***in cop cars are pissing me off... they seem to ONLY chase ME during the street races, and not any of the AI opponents.

I think there might be some catchup logic in here too.. but hey, it's an arcade game so I can live with that. Keeps it interesting.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I went to Gamestop to pick up JE yesterday but since they didnt have it in yet(they said it would be another 2 hours?) I picked up this game. I
After a couple of hours...so far I like it.
I think anyone that liked NFSU2 ( I played thru that) will like this.

Its too early for Me to say which I like better but My early feeling is that it will be this one( except for the loading). Just feels like its going to be more fun ...More wideopen game.....

Plus Im one of those Bozos that likes custom soundtracks..I know sacrlige in a racer...but it IS an arcade racer so why do I need to listen to engine sounds?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

XXXIV wrote:I went to Gamestop to pick up JE yesterday but since they didnt have it in yet(they said it would be another 2 hours?) I picked up this game.
Dude, I'm opening up a gameshop right next to your house. I'll be a friggin millionaire by next Thursday. :lol:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

ScoopBrady wrote:
XXXIV wrote:I went to Gamestop to pick up JE yesterday but since they didnt have it in yet(they said it would be another 2 hours?) I picked up this game.
Dude, I'm opening up a gameshop right next to your house. I'll be a friggin millionaire by next Thursday. :lol:
:lol: ......You better hurry before she poisons my food.

marino
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by marino »

ScoopBrady wrote:
I don't know Scoop, I would rather open up one next to your house and become a billionare.lol