MX vs. ATV

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

matthewk wrote:- Still never need to use the brakes, even with a 500cc bike.

- The loft has been toned down, which is nice. Still, it's all about preloading jumps and using the clutch out of corners. There is no braking or strategy regarding lines. Also, digging into a berm and shooting out of it is non-existant.
My sentiments exactly, and the reason why I'm not interested in buying this game after a rental. I was starting to think I was the only one who felt this way!

Sorry the game didn't work for you, Matt, as I know you're a motorcycle guy. But you're not alone.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I'm still going to give it a couple more nights to see if it starts to grab me, but my initial impressions are ho-hum.

MX World Tour supposedly came out yesterday, but I cannot find ANYTHING about this game. There is absolutely no hype for this game at all. For $20 I may just take a chance on it if the local Gamestop has it today.
-Matt

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Matt......give it a little more time. I was very "underwhelmed" at first, but started enjoying it shortly thereafter. Did u try helmet cam? Makes it a lot more fun and challenging. Lets you, me and Terry hook up on xbox live for some races.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

matthewk wrote:I'm still going to give it a couple more nights to see if it starts to grab me, but my initial impressions are ho-hum.

MX World Tour supposedly came out yesterday, but I cannot find ANYTHING about this game. There is absolutely no hype for this game at all. For $20 I may just take a chance on it if the local Gamestop has it today.
Matt:

Yeah, I think MX vs. ATV is "point and shoot" racing at its finest. I mean that as a slight and as a compliment.

A slight, because I don't care for racing games where the brake is almost an option. Like you said, the only thing I feel I need to do in MX vs. ATV is lift the gas a bit in turns and make sure I time my jumps properly. It gets old after a while, especially after playing a game like CMR 2005 or TOCA 2 while requires such delicate throttle-braking balance.

A compliment, because MX vs. ATV is a decent arcade racer.

But it's not worth $40 to me.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I am a huge fan of the ATV series...but...I'm bored now. You can have the greatest track design in the world, and I will still get bored after the 4th incarnation of the series. They have added virtually nothing to the racing aspect of the game since it was first introduced. Not to mention the fact that the racing AI is still terrible and the rubber band effect has gotten old as well. I just don't see the facination...the addition of MX bikes is cool, but then again, it's pretty much exactly the same as the ATV's just a little bit faster. Like PK said, there is no need to even brake in the game...that's not fun to me. I guess I'm just sick of the series.

That said, I will still be getting it for the PSP, because as an arcade racer, it'll be damn fun to just pick up and play for a bit on a trip or waiting somewhere.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I guess I just went into it knowing what to expect; Rainbow-style dirt racing on XBL. I figured it would be a lot of fun, but since nobody ever hops online in the first place, it's kind of a moot point.

Anybody who races me knows what a huge emphasis I put on throttle and brake control, but for whatever reason, I still enjoy MX vs ATV. Most of it is finding that insane line around a track, perfecting a rhythm. I raced a guy online who had no idea of areas you could clear, how I got around a track 16 seconds faster than him. It's all line selection and memorization, much like pk alluded to.

I still have fun doing that, it's akin to the Nurburging to me. Nowhere near the same level, but it's the same reason I enjoy that track so much. So much to memorize, so much to perfect (or mentally beat myself up over if I mess up). It keeps me busy.

marino
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by marino »

dbdynsty25 wrote:

That said, I will still be getting it for the PSP, because as an arcade racer, it'll be damn fun to just pick up and play for a bit on a trip or waiting somewhere.
It is not by rainbow studios for the psp. It is by the same team that did atv3 for ps2 and that game sucked badly.The rubberband ai in that game is way worse than in mx vx atv unleashed.Looks like a port right from the ps2 version.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

marino wrote:It is not by rainbow studios for the psp. It is by the same team that did atv3 for ps2 and that game sucked badly.The rubberband ai in that game is way worse than in mx vx atv unleashed.Looks like a port right from the ps2 version.
Well F that game then. Thanks for the info, you saved me a few bucks and the trouble of having to dump it on Ebay the day of release. Still may rent it through gamefly though.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

dbdynsty25 wrote: They have added virtually nothing to the racing aspect of the game since it was first introduced. Not to mention the fact that the racing AI is still terrible and the rubber band effect has gotten old as well.
have to agree and have to say I am getting bored with it also, after only
several days. it's definitely not a "keeper" IMO.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I'm really PK-ing with this game. I played it again for an hour or so last night and had a fun time with it. I have yet to use the brakes, but at least I have had to let off the gas and use the clutch on corners quite often. Maybe I'm just accpeting the reality that the clutch work is a replacement for braking.

The manual sucks, so I ran through the in-game tutorials. It's funny, because it mentions how braking is important when squaring off turns, but I can do it without the brake just fine. I also learned that I was preloading backwards. My natural action is to press down to preload and up to release, or get lift. According to the tutorial this is backwards, so I was doing it wrong the first couple of nights :oops:

For $20 I'll give MX World Tour a try just because I'm such a sucker for MX games. MX vs. ATV may or may not stay in my collection, but right now I'm not ready to cut it loose. I skipped all of the ATV games since the first, so the game engine is not stale to me. I do like the number of tracks. The supermotos are a blast, and after the first 2 supercross tracks, they get a lot more interesting, to where you have to plan your jumps to stay in the right rythmn. I also like all the bike options. What still bugs me is the lack of a replay and only 5 opponents.
-Matt

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I really enjoy the game, and don't see selling it anytime soon. Every time I think I have something wired I find a completely new line around a track. That and helmet cam is worth the price of the game for me.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I'm "PK-ing" on this one too. I tried some MTX Motocross last night for comparison and it was nice to HAVE to use the brakes, but i missed the brighter, cleaner graphics and nice camera angles of MXU. MTX runs so fast and is so dark looking. I cant decide which I want to keep around!
Then I read all the glowing reviews that MXU vsATV gets and I just don't get it.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

OK, I'm back to not liking this game again :roll:

I tried a few of the outdoor tracks (nationals) and they are like fantasy tracks you'd find in the Jet Moto series or Splashdown 2. This game is like a platformer with bikes. I say this because all you have to do is time your jumps right and you'll do fine. This aspect is great, except that there is little else you need to do inroder to finish well. I have tried over a dozen tracks and I can keep the gas on 100% of the time with the MX bikes. There are a couple of spots with the ATVs where I needed to lay off, but with the MX bikes all I ever need to do is use the clutch in some spots.

After going back and forth between this and SUperfly, you can see the obvious change in direction to a more "mas market" arcade racer. Superfly was not a true simulation, but it got more things right and was still a lot of fun.
-Matt

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

the recent Official XBox magazine gave this a pretty spot on review. It talked about the lack of real physics but how you can have fun with the game if you take if for what it is...an arcade racer on dirt.

I might have to give Superfly a shot

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

For the 2 people who still care about this topic:

I am finally giving up on MX vs ATV and sticking with Superfly. I really want to love this game, but it's TOO unrealistic for me. I might as well tape down the gas button, because I never need to let up on it. The rubber banding of the AI is far more noticeable than Superfly, where at least it feels like you have to work for a good position. In MX vs ATV I feel like I can just sit back for the first 75% of the race because I know all 6 of us will be grouped together in the last 20%, even if I race poorly. That, the lack of replays, and the small fields (6 to Superfly's 8) have done me in. I'm going to miis all the choices the game has (30 MX/SX tracks, Supermotos, ATVs), but I can't deal with the racing aspect when I know Superfly is there.
-Matt

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

P.S. to MattK: Jamie Little's MX game is getting ripped in reviews, which indicate that it's every bit of a budget title in terms of gameplay and graphics.

Take care,
PK

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I am back to liking it again!

If you play on "hard" difficulty it can be extremely challenging on some tracks. You really have to learn the best line and which jumps to preload, etc. to do well.

The thing that makes me nuts is when I am having a great run and some bozo lands on me, causing me to wipe out.

Wish there were more of you playing on xbox live :(

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

pk500 wrote:P.S. to MattK: Jamie Little's MX game is getting ripped in reviews, which indicate that it's every bit of a budget title in terms of gameplay and graphics.

Take care,
PK
I've only seen 1 review and a couple of posts at Gamefaqs about it, but so far none of it has been good. Right now I'm glad neither Gamestop nor EB had it last week when I went looking for it. The total lack of talk about this game, even a week after release is telling all by itself.

Out of morbid curiosity, what other reviews are there for this one?

Jack, glad you're enjoying it again. I went back and forth for the whole week, but I just can't get over the items I listed before. I assume that no matter what difficulty level you're at, the rubber banding is in full effect. The Pro physics help slightly, but not near enough for me.
-Matt

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

matthewk wrote:
pk500 wrote:P.S. to MattK: Jamie Little's MX game is getting ripped in reviews, which indicate that it's every bit of a budget title in terms of gameplay and graphics.

Take care,
PK
I've only seen 1 review and a couple of posts at Gamefaqs about it, but so far none of it has been good. Right now I'm glad neither Gamestop nor EB had it last week when I went looking for it. The total lack of talk about this game, even a week after release is telling all by itself.

Out of morbid curiosity, what other reviews are there for this one?

Jack, glad you're enjoying it again. I went back and forth for the whole week, but I just can't get over the items I listed before. I assume that no matter what difficulty level you're at, the rubber banding is in full effect. The Pro physics help slightly, but not near enough for me.
I can agree with the rubber banding if you screw up, but I will consistently beat the AI by 5 or 6 seconds (or more) on hard, so I know they don't rubberband and magically catch you without messing up. I'm so weary of people going back and forth on the game anyway, there's really no point in posting anything about it since my opinion on it is the only thing that counts to me...I just can't help myself :lol:

It's like a train wreck. You don't want to look, but you can't help it.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I think the rubber banding is more noticeable when you are behind.
But you can still get way behind if you mess up too much. It's probably a good thing with only 6 racers....keeps it interesting to the end.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

TCrouch wrote:I'm so weary of people going back and forth on the game anyway, there's really no point in posting anything about it since my opinion on it is the only thing that counts to me...I just can't help myself :lol:

It's like a train wreck. You don't want to look, but you can't help it.
Hey, these are my thoughts and impressions of the game. Isn't that what this board is here for? If everyone too kthe "my opinion is the only thing that matters to me" route, then we'd have an empty board. I'm sorry I can't make a clear-cut decision on this game soon enough to please you. Maybe others are feeling the same way, maybe I'm just missing something. I hope my posts either help someone else out who's not sure about getting the game or causes someone else to point something out to me that I'm missing.

Glad to see that at the very least, this "train wreck" has entertained you.
-Matt

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Terry, couple of questions for you about MX vs ATV.

1) Have you noticed the clutch having an effect when you use it, and how often do you use it? I honestly do not notice it doing much, but then again, there's seldom a corner I can't make through at at least 30mph.

2) What settings are you playing on? I assume that Pro physics are more "sim-like", so that's what I've been using.

I really WANT to enjoy this game, but it just seems liek there's not much more to it than timing your jumps and holding the throttle down.
-Matt

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

A little help here please?

On some of the SX tracks I tried last night (yes, I am still giving this game a chance) there were some turns and areas where I could see the possibility for squaring off the turn as oppoesed to simply railing every one. I'm using the behind 2 cam, because the helmet cam makes me seasick. Maybe the camera affects the sense of sped, because I don't feel much difference in speed between the two types of cornering, leading me to believe it doesn't matter. I spent a few laps concentrating on the speedometer while I took turns different ways. Maybe squaring off really is a better option than just railing everything and I'm just not noticing it because of the sense of speed the camera gives me. Is this right? Maybe there is a little more to this game than I'm giving it credit for?

Can someone confirm or deny this?
-Matt