OT: Dooom 3 Impressions?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Dooom 3 Impressions?

Post by JackB1 »

anyone yet?

I am waiting for a sale if possible.
$55 is a bit steep.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Dooom 3 Impressions?

Post by Badgun »

JackB1 wrote:anyone yet?

I am waiting for a sale if possible.
$55 is a bit steep.
I picked mine up this morning and I am quite impressed how well the port to the Xbox looks compared to the pc version. There is certainly some dropoff in graphics quality, but not as much as I expected. The game looks quite good actually.

As someone who prefers keyboard/mouse controls to play shooters, I actually feel more comfortable playing Doom 3 on my Xbox. Who knows, maybe I will finally be able to really enjoy shooters on the Xbox.

Anyway, I played for about an hour and even though I had already played the pc version, there were certain spots that never failed to give me a jolt. I literally jumped out of my seat several times. Controls are very well laid out. A button jumps, B button cycles through weapons, X button reloads your weapon and you can use the D pad to bind your weapons to each direction for quick access. The R trigger of course fires your weapon while the L trigger is the sprint button. Pressing the white button will turn on your flashlight and pressing it again will bring up your last equipped weapon. The flashlight is actually quite lethal as a weapon. The black button brings up your PDA where you can read and hear all the pertinent information regarding memos and other PDAs you find along the way.

As I said before, the visuals are great and I don't think they will disappoint anyone, even those that have the pc version. The 5.1 sound is killer as the ambient sounds and screams off in the night seem to come from all around. I think the sound is especially well done.

You can save anywhere at anytime and you can have multiple saves.

I got the collector's edition, mainly for the extras which include Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom. God, when you see Doom 2 in its original state, you will realize just how far we've come graphically over the last 8-10 years.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to try multiplayer out. I tried to play a quick game and I only found one game going on and there was one player in that game. When I tried to connect to it, it said "That session is no longer available". I was hoping to try a little deathmatch as well as some co-op, but evidently the game was not released everywhere today as there was just no one on Xbox Live with the game.

Anyway, I'm pleased with it and look forward to playing through it both solo and co-op in the coming days. I think 60 bucks is a little pricey considering the two bonus Dooms are more for novelty than anything else. This should probably retail for $39.99 and they would probably sell more copies, but I'll have to admit that any kind of Doom on the Xbox is cool.

IGN gave it a 9.3 and so far I would have to agree with that score. Hopefully some of you guys will have it Tuesday and we can play some on Live and see how it plays.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

good impressions so far.....post more later after you play some more.

I will definitely be picking this up soon. Not sure if it will ever go on sale soon or not. Do you think the collector's edition is worth it or just I just get the regular edition?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yes, thanks Badgun!

Todd

marino
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by marino »

JackB1 wrote:good impressions so far.....post more later after you play some more.

I will definitely be picking this up soon. Not sure if it will ever go on sale soon or not. Do you think the collector's edition is worth it or just I just get the regular edition?
Jack, circuity city has it on sale for 39.99(online only) shipping is free if you don't mine waiting 5-7 days.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Badguns impressions of single-player are spot on. Even though I've played through the first part of the game I was still scared during my revisit on the Xbox.

I saw what appeared to be a roll of duct tape on a table and proceeded to start using it to tape my flashlight to my gun but I ended up dying because, well, you know, all hell had broken loose around me with monsters everywhere and I was worried about taping a flashlight to my gun rather than fighting off the demon spawn. :wink:

The graphics are excellent and look better than they did on my pc. I was only ever able to run Doom 3 at 640x480 and the lowest graphical settings to get the game to run close to 30 fps. It still looked great on my pc but not outstanding like on some of the stronger rigs out there. The menus and interface are different than the pc version and I like them a lot better.

I did get a chance to hop online with it last night but did not get a chance to play co-op. I'd rather play my first game of co-op with someone I know and nobody on my friends list was online with it last night. I played a few rounds of deathmatch. Many will complain that it only supports 4 players online but the graphics are just as good looking online as offline as a result. It also seems like a throwback to the old-school Doom deathmatches. Fast-paced action but you are encouraged to hide in shadows as well. When you kill an opponent they incinerate like the Imps do in single-player. Really cool effect.

Once in the game players can run around the map shooting each other in a warmup round. The warmup round lasts until everyone is ready to play. I thought that was nice since most times you are just waiting in a lobby looking at a list of names and here you get to mess around. I wish more games would do this. Think of how cool it would be in a game like SC:CT where you could take the lobby time to learn the map better instead of looking at names.

Multiplayer is definitely not gonna knock a lot of socks off but it is definitely a fun diversion. Another thing I thought was cool was the fact that you can steal your opponents weapon if you are using your fists and get close enough to them. I had run out of ammo and I was facing off against a guy with a machine gun. I was able to shimmy my way up to him and when I punched him I all of a sudden had a machine gun in my hands and he said "Hey, where the f#$% did my gun go?"

I also checked out Ultimate Doom and as a huge Doom fan I loved it. Sure, it's got cheesy music and early 90's graphics, but it's still a lot of fun. I played the first 2 levels and will definitely play through all of them as well as all of Doom II's.

Jack, you have to ask yourself one question. If Ultimate Doom and Doom II were released on one disc for the Xbox for $10 would you buy it? I'd pay $20 so I don't mind the $60 price tag.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

picked it up today at luch.....

39.99 at Circuit City. It's also on sale at the store. Not online only.
thanks for the head's up!

p.s. anyone want to try some coop tonite around 10 pm EST?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

ScoopBrady wrote:I saw what appeared to be a roll of duct tape on a table and proceeded to start using it to tape my flashlight to my gun but I ended up dying......
are you joking? is there really duct tape in the game?

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

JackB1 wrote:picked it up today at luch.....

Jack,
I can play around 11 EST, I watch the Shield at 10. I'll look for you if you're still around.

No, there is no duct tape...he was making light of db whining about not being able to duct tape your flashlight to your gun.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Badgun wrote:No, there is no duct tape...he was making light of db whining about not being able to duct tape your flashlight to your gun.
Umm...no. When the hell did I ever mention Duct Tape?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Badgun wrote:
JackB1 wrote:picked it up today at luch.....

Jack,
I can play around 11 EST, I watch the Shield at 10. I'll look for you if you're still around.

No, there is no duct tape...he was making light of db whining about not being able to duct tape your flashlight to your gun.
I don't recall db mentioning that but I know Bill did. It was more a poke at a handful of gamers that didn't like that fact, not just Bill.
I am a patient boy.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Umm...no. When the hell did I ever mention Duct Tape?[/quote]

Who the hell mentioned duct tape goddammit!!!!##%#@%#%@#
Bastards!!!!! (joking)

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Badgun wrote:No, there is no duct tape...he was making light of db whining about not being able to duct tape your flashlight to your gun.
Umm...no. When the hell did I ever mention Duct Tape?
Sorry, I knew it was either you or Bill, but I put it on you because you were the one telling everyone how disappointing this game was going to be.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

just played solo for about 2 hours.

cant believe how well the game translated over from the PC version.
the graphics really hold their own on the xbox. if you didnt compare them side by side, you would never know any better. I actually enjoy relaxing and using my xbox controller over the mouse and keyboard
so much more. The surround sound is incredible.....best of any game so far I have played on the xbox.

Jayhawker
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jayhawker »

Well, I picked this up last week sometime, but haven't had much of a chance to play it until this week.

The single player game is pretty cool, but overall a let down from what I wanted out of a new Doom game. WTF is up with having a story? I want to grab my shotgun, and start running and gunning. Check my PDA? Eavesdrop on stories? Seriously, when I get to a locked door, all I want to see is a message telling me I need the blue key. I can then run around and shoot monsters until I find it.

The graphics are good, but it is too dark, which seems to just be making up for the lack of monsters on the screen at any one time. While the mood works, and I don't mind swapping the flashlight and gun, it just feels like they are hiding flaws.

One flaw that sticks out front and center, though, is the muliplayer. What a load of crap. Four players? Not only that, the net code seems awful to me. I can pop in Halo 2 and enjoy smooth play with more than twice the players, but Doom 3 is lag city. I've read that most found online play smooth, so maybe this is just something on my end.

The game types and such suck as well. Why would id put out such a shallow, meaningless online component?

I will probably continue on for awhile in the single player game, but I doubt this one receives enough commitment for me to finish.

What I really want is the original Quake all over again. No story, just levels with simple codes for names (E1M1 and the like...). No emails, PDA, or story developments.

Has any shooter ever captured lightning in a bottle the way Quake and Duke 3D back in the day?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Welcome to the majority JayHawker...don't say I didn't warn ya.

Jayhawker
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jayhawker »

Been giving this game some more time. Still have to say it was not worth the early $50, but I am starting to enjoy it for what it is, rather than what I wanted. It's not hordes of baddies, but more of an old fashioned haunted house like we used to go to in high school around Halloween, and it works on that level. Just a series of gotcha!'s.

The game does a pretty good job of maintaining a creepy feeling, and I like the weapons. I have to say that I actually prefer Halo's two weapon max, though. Cycling through weapons is a chore, and I'd rather have a hot key just for grenades.

It does have easily the best graphics of any shooter I've played on the Xbox, but that is a weakness. In fact, it is a weakness iD has had since Quake2. I was so pissed when Quake2 came out with system requirements that blew my current PC away. What was annoying was that Quake, even QuakeGL, ran ultra smooth on the same PC. But with a console, you would think they would force the graphics down in order to achieve better gameplay. Instead they limit mosters and the number of players supported online. Ugh!

I can imagine the iD guys trashing the graphics in Halo and Halo2, but they missed so much of what Halo gets right. Too bad, really. Doom with Halo 2 graphics would have been a blast!

Abner is absolutely right, though. This game gets a 7 if it was not a an iD project. But I am still drawn to the single player game. It is becoming more fun, as I accept being forced through the story just so I can open a locker, with info only available through an email, or worse, voicemail. I will just continue to matriculate my way through the levels, and enjoy the battles as they come.

If anyone sees me playing, feel free to message me for some co-op.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Jayhawker wrote:If anyone sees me playing, feel free to message me for some co-op.
I saw you playing for quite a while last night and would have loved to try out the co-op mode on Live. I should have set it up and sent you an invite. :cry:
I am a patient boy.