What is ruining MVP 2005 for me...

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

What is ruining MVP 2005 for me...

Post by Badgun »

I posted a few weeks ago that I can't win with this game. No matter what I do, I can't win on All Star, yet on Pro it's like taking batting practice and I can score at will. I think on my profile, I am 0-18 and the closest I've ever come to winning a game is being tied 4-4 in the 7th...I went on to lose that game 10-4.

The MLB 2006 came out and I was certain I had found the perfect game. I had close games, I had blowouts, and I had pitcher's duels, but the most important thing was I could win. I've really enjoyed the game, but lately it's been freezing up on me again so I decided I'd give MVP another try. I figured after hitting in MLB, hitting in MVP should be easy now.

So I downloaded the latest rosters and started a franchise. I wanted to like this game since I loved it so much last year despite its problems.

In my new franchise, I started my first game and it was scoreless in the 5th as I was pitching well, but still having trouble hitting. Finally, I got a man on in the 6th and Pujols hit a two run homer so I go up 2-0 on the Astros. Bottom of the 6th and it's like someone flipped a switch. Houston's first 5 batters got hits, 3 of them doubles in the gap. Suddenly, I could get no one out even though my pitcher wasn't out of gas and I was pitching the exact same way as I had all game. I wound up bringing in Ray King and they killed him too. After all was said and done, I leave the inning down 8-2. After that, everything went back to normal and the rest of the game was scoreless and I lost 8-2.

Next game, another one against Houston, the game starts off the same way, which is basically a pitcher's duel between Matt Morris and Roy Oswalt and we're tied 1-1 in the 4th. I get a couple of men on and Jim Edmonds hit's a 3 run shot and I'm up 4-1. Bottom of the inning and it's like someone flipped a switch again and suddenly I couldn't get anyone out. Once again, no matter how I pitched, every Astro hitter was nailing the ball into the gaps for doubles and triples. When I finally get out of the inning, I'm down 7-4 and that's how the game wound up as no one else would score the rest of the game.

Next game is back home to face the Phillies. Pretty much the same type of game...scoreless through 3, I scratch out a couple of runs in the 4th and in the 5th the Phillies become unstoppable. When the inning is over, I'm down 7-2 and I would go on to lose 9-2. Since this is pretty much how every game goes for me, I decide that I'm going to have a reliever ready to enter the game in the 5th and the minute there's any signs of offense out of the Phillies, I'm going to bring him in even if there's no score. It does no good. I could have Cy Young pitching and this would still happen.

So now I've started the season 0-3 and all my starters' ERA is over 10 and I'm thinking why am I punishing myself...why even bother with this game, but I decide to play one more.

The next game is Jason Marquis against Randy Wolf. The game gets to the 7th with no score. I pinch hit for Marquis in the 8th with Roger Cedeno and he hits a homerun and now I'm leading 1-0 going to the 9th. I warm up Isringhausen knowing this will be my first win. Bring him in to start the 9th and he strikes out Abreu and Thome back to back. I don't even remember who the next batter was, but he nailed it into the gap for a double. Next batter...into the gap for a double and now the game's tied and I've blown the save. I warm up Julian Tavares while the next batter drills it into the seats for a 2 run shot and now I'm down 3-1. Two hits later and Tavares is warm enough to come in the game and is greeted by a massive three run homer by the pitcher of all people. I find it odd that they would let their pitcher bat in that situation, but what do I know? Now I'm down 6-1 and I want to just hit the power button, but I decide to go ahead and finish the game, which I would up losing 8-1.

I'm completely at loss. I'm 0-4 in my franchise and even though every game has been close, they have all been blowouts. Before someone tells me that I'm not pitching correctly, I know how to pitch. I mix speeds, change locations, throw out of the zone altogether, and even groove the occaisonal pitch here and there. I know how to pitch. What I am seeing appears to be an unstoppable offense that is triggered the minute the CPU gets behind and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I can pitch 5 innings of 1 hit ball, but the minute I score one run to take the lead, I can't buy an out. Even the weak hitters are killing the ball.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm supposed to like this game since everyone else thinks it's the cat's meow, but the more I play it, the more frustrated I get. I hate fooling with sliders and have no desire to try and "fix" the game...I wouldn't even know where to begin anyway.

Before someone suggests I play on pro, I tried that too. It's way too easy on pro as I score tons of runs and hit way too many homeruns so pro is not an option.

As I have said before, this game needs a level between pro and all star because I destroy the CPU on pro and get killed on all star.

One thing I did notice after playing MLB 2006 for a week, MVP feels incredibly arcade like and seems to be really sped up compared to the other games.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I don't know what to tell you. It seems like you've given it a fair shot. I'd sell it now before you get any more frustrated, especially if you are not willing to mess with sliders at all. I really don't think there is anything we could tell you. You say you know how to pitch. There have been threads with batting tips.

I'd also like a skill level between Pro and All-Star as well, but it's strange that you can never win on All-Star yet find Pro way too easy. I only win about 50% of the time on Pro, but yet can still win 30-40% of the time on All-Star. I've shutout the CPU on All-Star. I've had all sorts of different types of games. I just generally can't score enough to win consistently.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bad:

Leebo is right: It's a videogame, not a mandatory life necessity such as car insurance.

If you don't like, sell it. Who the f*ck cares if we all like it? Your preference is most important.

Just ditch it, save yourself the aggro and play the game YOU enjoy.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I'm in the same boat, hitting-wise, with one exception--I can't hit a home run to save my life. I'm something like 5-8 in Spring Training and haven't hit a home run in at least 5 games (which coincides with my move to All Star). But as far as your one inning pitching woes, I have mostly avoided those outside of pitchers like Kyle Lohse, who will also get dinged up in other innings outside of a 4-run struggler.

I have bumped power to +20 for me and rarely get one near the warning track. Obviously still have a long way to go with my hitting skillz.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

i suspect that his learning curve is not up to par, i too had trouble in all-star when pro was too easy, but thats the fun of it, it not going to let you win, what you think this game is like playing your dad and your only 5 again? you have to work at it, still lose most but i have a lot of fun trying to like hell, and that to me is more fun.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: What is ruining MVP 2005 for me...

Post by webdanzer »

Badgun wrote: Suddenly, I could get no one out even though my pitcher wasn't out of gas and I was pitching the exact same way as I had all game.
Maybe that's your problem? Pitching the same way all game?

I don't know, as I'm not convinced MVP learns your pitching style, but maybe try to change it up a bit mid to late game.

If you are inferring some sort of catch-up mode on All-Star level, I have to say that I haven't seen it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I don't know why you don't just up your batting power/contact a little bit. From what I can tell, the game DOES NOT break by doing that. I had to bump them a little bit (on All-Star) when I was playing exhibition games until I got the hang of it, then I brought them back down to near default for All-Star. I'm now 26-29 on the season. I'd have been frustrated to no end had this been any other game...but I know exactly why I've lost 29 games this season. I've been much better lately, winning at a .750 clip in the last 15 games, so I'm inching back into the race. The only problem is that the goddamn Phillies keep winning so I'm still back 8.5 games.

This is my favorite baseball game EVER.

It really says something when I was looking forward to playing some other games last night (noteably PES4 on my PC)...I sat down to play a game of MVP first and ended up playing 5 games in a row. Damn it's such a sweet game.

TRI
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TRI »

The pitching AI in MVP 2005 seems very random and the CPU hitters do not really adjust very well to your pitching. When pitching I mix low outside and a few inside pitches and the CPU rarely gets more than 2 or 3 runs per game. Do not throw high, just throw mostly low and away mixing in a few low and inside pitches.

cdastros
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by cdastros »

I dont know why you are having problems hitting. The only thing i can do is give you some hitting tips that helped me be a better hitter.

One thing that help me be a better hitter was playing the hitting mini game on the mvp or all-star setting. Don't worry about winning the mini game, just try and get better at getting good contact on every pitch.

What helped my hitting the most was playing a quick exibition game and going to the menu to switch teams during the game to the team that is batting. The first time you do this it will give you a pop up telling you that you will lose mvp points by doing it. After the first time that pop up will no show up and it will be a very quick change in teams. By allways being the hitting team, you will get good practice at reading balls and strikes and wont have to worry about winning the game.

I hope this helps as much as it has helped me. I have been able to score runs on both mvp and all-star level and I hit almost 1 homer a game.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Also, as mentioned before...the only time you really should push UP on the left stick is when the RED or WHITE circle shows up telling you were the pitch is. If it's BLUE, I tend to just leave the stick neutral...

I do a little left and right movement so that I can push or pull the ball, but I try not to push up. I'm definitely hitting better of late, which directly coincides with my .750 winning percentage lately.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Also, as mentioned before...the only time you really should push UP on the left stick is when the RED or WHITE circle shows up telling you were the pitch is. If it's BLUE, I tend to just leave the stick neutral...

I do a little left and right movement so that I can push or pull the ball, but I try not to push up. I'm definitely hitting better of late, which directly coincides with my .750 winning percentage lately.
I need to start doing that as well. I think if you try and use zone-type hitting in MVP, it doesn't work. I think down only helps if a pitch is truly at the bottom of the zone and you want to make better contact, like for a hit and run or a bunt. I'll also use down if I have a low hot zone.

What I need is assisted swinging -- so that if I swing after the ball's in the catcher's glove, the CPU won't let me :D

However, it is nice to play a game where you get punished for striking out 8-10 times per game.

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

Turn on the ball cursor to help you get your batting right, turn it off once you understand how it's done...give it it a try.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

GridIronGhost wrote:Turn on the ball cursor to help you get your batting right, turn it off once you understand how it's done...give it it a try.
I was thinking about turning the strikezone back on. I am Mr. High Cheese. I also do better when I make it a rule not to swing at the first pitch unless it's in the zone and what I'm looking for. I have bursts where I'll hit well, but then I strikeout in a key situation, get frustrated, and start hacking.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I think this game requires the most plate discipline out of any console baseball game I've played, especially on MVP level, and I'm not just talking about laying off balls and swinging at strikes. You have to take into account game situation, hot zones, etc

Knowing when to not swing is very key.
Last edited by webdanzer on Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I have the same problem as you. On Pro default I do pretty good, but on AllStar I am bad at hitting in this game. The main reason I can't hit well on AllStar is really my fault. I am more of a hacker when it comes batting in baseball videogames. I am sure if I played more of a patient game like most people here I could hit well on default Allstar.

But, I may have found a solution though and am testing it out. I read on one of the mvp sites that to try to hit better on AllStar, turn down the CPU pitchers ball rate down (I think that is what it's called). Supposedly, this will make the cpu pitcher throw more pitches in the strikezone.

I went ahead and did this for the last few games I played and I've been able to make better contact with the ball. I had it set to -50 and if it really does work and makes hitting on AllStar easier, even though it's only been 2 games under this setting so I'll have to play more to really know. If hitting gets too easy, then I'll turn it down to -25.

I also have some good sliders on Pro that I am using to make my games competitive. The sliders are basically Mizzour/DB's sliders with the addition of the cpu contact and power sliders at +30 and user's contact/power at -30.

Hope this helps.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I have to agree. I was having frustrations too. My profile record is probably 10-30 or something dumb.... but the last few games I've played I've hit pretty well.

Basically, DON'T touch the stick unless you are trying to do something specfic, or desperation. And wait for a good pitch. if the count is 2-0, DON'T go for the fastball that's tailing away from you. Wait until you have something in your half of the plate.

Unless the ball is really low or really high, you don't need to touch the stick.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Gangrel wrote: Basically, DON'T touch the stick unless you are trying to do something specfic, or desperation.
Not touching the stick is probably the best way to hit but I dont like the concept of it. To me, just pressing the button is just that, pressing a button. I feel like I am not actually making a difference in the outcome of the pitch. Just timing it right to me makes it feel like I am letting the cpu/game determine the result of the swing rather than myself.

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

I pretty much always use the stick.When I don't,I hit it right at someone.I don't think I've ever got a key hit without "placing" it.That being said,I think the ideal way to get better,aside from lots of playing,is to give yourself a little help with the contact slider.Increase in increments of 10 or so till you're hitting well,then take the training wheels off slowly.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Weaver2005 wrote: Not touching the stick is probably the best way to hit but I dont like the concept of it. To me, just pressing the button is just that, pressing a button. I feel like I am not actually making a difference in the outcome of the pitch. Just timing it right to me makes it feel like I am letting the cpu/game determine the result of the swing rather than myself.
But that's the way the "Pure" hitting system is set up. I couldn't wrap my head around that for the longest time until a few days ago..... It's mostly about timing. If I swing early enough, i have a natural pull, late and it goes the other way.

That being said, when I'm on my last strike and the pitcher gives me something low and away, and I aim low and away, it usually results in a nice hit.

But my problem is if i try to "aim" the pitches all the time, I then end up trying to pull a ball that ends up outside, meaning a weak pop up.

If I'm sitting on a pitch with a good count, or trying to place the ball, I try to aim my hits, with varying sucess.

What I wonder is how much a real major leaguer tries really hard to aim his hit when there's no one on base and no outs? Or does he try just for a natural hit......

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Gangrel wrote:What I wonder is how much a real major leaguer tries really hard to aim his hit when there's no one on base and no outs? Or does he try just for a natural hit......
Well of course they do. If the ball is outside, the guy is going to try to hit it the other way. That's the art of baseball...pull the inside pitch, and hit the outside pitch the other way. Of course everyone always says the perfect base hit is the shot through the box, right next to the pitchers ear.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Gangrel wrote:What I wonder is how much a real major leaguer tries really hard to aim his hit when there's no one on base and no outs? Or does he try just for a natural hit......
Well of course they do. If the ball is outside, the guy is going to try to hit it the other way. That's the art of baseball...pull the inside pitch, and hit the outside pitch the other way. Of course everyone always says the perfect base hit is the shot through the box, right next to the pitchers ear.
Yea, I guess. I suppose my problem is just recognizing the pitch locations better. By the time I realize the ball is coming in at me, I pull the stick to pull the ball and swing, I'm swinging late, which negates the pulling of stick.

I'm having fun anyway. My Nats are on an 8 game winning streak, putting my record at a stunning 29-44 I think. ;)

ChiTownKid
Mario Mendoza

Post by ChiTownKid »

I wish I had that problem. All-Star is too easy, and MVP is way too unrealistic.

Oh well.

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

If anyone has a moded xbox or a PC version of the game. Download the new KSM datafile. The #5 batters views really helps my hitting alot. The view is a little lower and you can read the pitches better. I'm using Fox Sports camera #1 right now on the PC version. Also the new zoom fielding cam got rid of the stuttering on my system! The harder pitching tweeks is something some of you guys that want more challenge while pitching to give it a try.