MVP Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

laurenskye wrote:
Leebo33 wrote:Since the injuries during play on the field are so cool, it would be awesome if pitchers get hurt if you use them too much (although I hope it wouldn't be overdone). I think I did read that someone had a pitcher get hurt when they pitched them too long in a game with low stamina.
I've had it happen. around the 8th inning, pulled a muscle.
I intentionally tested this last weekend. I had a game that Mark Prior was pitching go into extra innings in a scoreless tie, and I decided to let him keep pitching until he got hurt or I lost. The game ended up going 17 innings, but Prior only made it until the 11th or 12th, when he had to leave the game due to injury. I don't remember exactly what the injury was, but it was fairly significant.

I've also had relievers on the bench show something like 41/44 stamina if I've used them too much.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

That is correct...the stamina rating is effected by pitching relievers too much...like I said about 5 posts up.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

HipE wrote:
laurenskye wrote:
Leebo33 wrote:Since the injuries during play on the field are so cool, it would be awesome if pitchers get hurt if you use them too much (although I hope it wouldn't be overdone). I think I did read that someone had a pitcher get hurt when they pitched them too long in a game with low stamina.
I've had it happen. around the 8th inning, pulled a muscle.
I intentionally tested this last weekend. I had a game that Mark Prior was pitching go into extra innings in a scoreless tie, and I decided to let him keep pitching until he got hurt or I lost. The game ended up going 17 innings, but Prior only made it until the 11th or 12th, when he had to leave the game due to injury. I don't remember exactly what the injury was, but it was fairly significant.

I've also had relievers on the bench show something like 41/44 stamina if I've used them too much.
Wow, didn't know that. Nice. I guess I'll pay a little more attention to my relivers. I had a game where I pitched my whole bullpen plus a starter and everyone in the pen was fully rested next game.

Todd

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I think I made a mistake by selling MVP. Especially after trying the latest and greatest 'passed ball fix' in 2K5. I was playing a playoff game and I guess the pressure was pretty high. Would you believe 11 passed balls? I sent the runners back on 10 of them before justing letting them go on the last one. If you like to play small ball, this bug just ruins the game. That combined with the bugs in the stats engine just did the thing in for me.

Now that I don't have MVP I am starting to see things it has that 2k5 doesn't. Things that bothered the hell out of me in MVP last year that were fixed this year. For example, I have no idea how to find out how fast a baserunner is in 2k5 and it was a pain in MVP last year. In MVP2005, just hit the button between pitches and you can see how fast the baserunners and the batter is. That makes it easier to decide how to pitch the batter and whether to put the infield in double play depth, etc. The little things that were done in this game really add up to a big improvement.

Note to the NCAA Football development team- If you fix all of the little problems it will make the gamers happy, happy, happy and it will mean more to us than creating some big new thing that doesn't work.

Take2 needs to have next year's game done by December, so they can bug test for about 3 solid months.

Who do we blame for the bugs in 2k5? The 'Standards Lead Tester'? The 2 'Assistant Lead Testers'? The 'Test Plan Writer'? The 7 'Senior Testers'? The 4 'QA Techs'? The 2 'Standards Testers'? The 19 'QA Network Testers'? or the 37 'QA Testers'? That is 73 people. All I can say is damn.

TRI
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TRI »

kevinpars wrote:I think I made a mistake by selling MVP. Especially after trying the latest and greatest 'passed ball fix' in 2K5. I was playing a playoff game and I guess the pressure was pretty high. Would you believe 11 passed balls? I sent the runners back on 10 of them before justing letting them go on the last one. If you like to play small ball, this bug just ruins the game. That combined with the bugs in the stats engine just did the thing in for me.

Now that I don't have MVP I am starting to see things it has that 2k5 doesn't. Things that bothered the hell out of me in MVP last year that were fixed this year. For example, I have no idea how to find out how fast a baserunner is in 2k5 and it was a pain in MVP last year. In MVP2005, just hit the button between pitches and you can see how fast the baserunners and the batter is. That makes it easier to decide how to pitch the batter and whether to put the infield in double play depth, etc. The little things that were done in this game really add up to a big improvement.

Note to the NCAA Football development team- If you fix all of the little problems it will make the gamers happy, happy, happy and it will mean more to us than creating some big new thing that doesn't work.

Take2 needs to have next year's game done by December, so they can bug test for about 3 solid months.

Who do we blame for the bugs in 2k5? The 'Standards Lead Tester'? The 2 'Assistant Lead Testers'? The 'Test Plan Writer'? The 7 'Senior Testers'? The 4 'QA Techs'? The 2 'Standards Testers'? The 19 'QA Network Testers'? or the 37 'QA Testers'? That is 73 people. All I can say is damn.
The passed ball problem is fixed, you must set AI errors at 50 or higher. Did you remember to load your settings before playing?

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I have yet to purchase the game as DB and Jackdog have me interested in MLB 2006, so I am going to wait and rent that first before I purchase MVP.I really enjoyed last years game(MVP) so I am sure I will enjoy this years. I just want to try MLB first. Also, I want to finish my CH season, and I am halfway through doing rosters for Inside Drive. Oh yea, WE8 also. So many great games.

Anyways, my question is, how long are games taking this year? If I remember right, last year were about 45-50 minutes.

I can't believe how hard it is holding off purchasing a game. I thought you became more patient as you got older.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

kevinpars wrote:I think I made a mistake by selling MVP. Especially after trying the latest and greatest 'passed ball fix' in 2K5. I was playing a playoff game and I guess the pressure was pretty high. Would you believe 11 passed balls? I sent the runners back on 10 of them before justing letting them go on the last one. If you like to play small ball, this bug just ruins the game. That combined with the bugs in the stats engine just did the thing in for me.

Sold MVP already? I think you made a mistake, but who am I? Just read the thread and you'll see how good MVP is.

Now, why can't I beat the Brewers!!!!!!!!!???!??!?!?

Todd

TRI
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TRI »

One issue I have with MVP 2005 are the extremely low pitch counts and poor batting AI. It is not uncommon to only throw 5 to 7 pitches in a single inning! It is like the CPU AI has no patience and hacks away at the first pitch strike for an easy out. Another problem is the pitching AI is not very good as the CPU pitcher just does not know when it has to throw strikes. I think MLB 2K4 is the best baseball simulation in the last two years. MVP 2005 has a great pitching interface and excellent fielding but the pitching AI and batting AI still neeed a lot of work.

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

TRI wrote:The passed ball problem is fixed, you must set AI errors at 50 or higher. Did you remember to load your settings before playing?
That's not "fixed". That is a "work around". There is a huge difference in what came out of the box between MVP and MLB this year. The two core elements for a great single player experience are balance and challenge. Everything else is icing on the cake that adds to the experience. WE8 has it. MVP now has it.

Ted
Hating and Insurging since '85.

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

TRI wrote:One issue I have with MVP 2005 are the extremely low pitch counts and poor batting AI. It is not uncommon to only throw 5 to 7 pitches in a single inning! It is like the CPU AI has no patience and hacks away at the first pitch strike for an easy out. Another problem is the pitching AI is not very good as the CPU pitcher just does not know when it has to throw strikes. I think MLB 2K4 is the best baseball simulation in the last two years. MVP 2005 has a great pitching interface and excellent fielding but the pitching AI and batting AI still neeed a lot of work.
I swear we must be playing two different games. I just am not getting the CPU hacking in my games. Most of the time they take a first strike as long as it isn't off the corner. And if I'm off the corner I can get drilled, especially if I miss the "perfect" mark. I also don't agree with the AI pitching not knowing when to throw strikes. I'm not seeing that either. I'm consistently getting my 1-4 walks per game and striking out 6-10 times. EA really nailed it this time. Good for them.

Ted

TRI
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TRI »

Granatofan wrote:
TRI wrote:One issue I have with MVP 2005 are the extremely low pitch counts and poor batting AI. It is not uncommon to only throw 5 to 7 pitches in a single inning! It is like the CPU AI has no patience and hacks away at the first pitch strike for an easy out. Another problem is the pitching AI is not very good as the CPU pitcher just does not know when it has to throw strikes. I think MLB 2K4 is the best baseball simulation in the last two years. MVP 2005 has a great pitching interface and excellent fielding but the pitching AI and batting AI still neeed a lot of work.
I swear we must be playing two different games. I just am not getting the CPU hacking in my games. Most of the time they take a first strike as long as it isn't off the corner. And if I'm off the corner I can get drilled, especially if I miss the "perfect" mark. I also don't agree with the AI pitching not knowing when to throw strikes. I'm not seeing that either. I'm consistently getting my 1-4 walks per game and striking out 6-10 times. EA really nailed it this time. Good for them.

Ted

Let me give you an example: In a recent game with the bases loaded and the pitcher batting, the CPU walks the pitcher at bat on four consecutive balls pitched with big hitter next at bat.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Here's my dilemma. I love MVP, hell I loved last year's version despite the lefty bug and no player fatigue. I said all they'd have to do is fix what was broken last year and this would be the best baseball game ever. Well apparently they fixed everything and now I can't win. I have yet to win a game with MVP. I've played like 8 exhibition games against some of the worst teams in the league and I get beat everytime.

I play on All Star just like I did last year. Last year I could hit...this year I can't. Every pitch looks like a strike yet when I swing at them, some of them are 2 feet out of the strike zone. It was much easier last year to spot a ball out of the strike zone and lay off of it. I'm not sure what to do. I can pitch pretty well for the most part so I'm not really getting beaten by the other team's offense but more by my team's lack of offense. I just lost 3 straight games to the Nationals, the Astros, and the Cubs and while I was in all 3 games, I never really ever threatened to win or go ahead.

So I go back and play my franchise on ESPN and the first game I play is a brilliant 7-6 12 inning game which I won by manufacturing a run. Eckstein reaches on an error, steals 2nd, then gets to third on a ground ball to the right side by Walker. Then Pujols puts one in the gap to score the go ahead run. I bring in Isringhausen to close it out and get the win.

I can't begin to describe what a different experience these two games are. Even with the passed balls and other glitches, I still feel that ESPN plays the game closer to my ability than MVP does. I play both on all star with default sliders and while I love the feel of both games, I feel like I can win in ESPN, but know I can't in MVP.

I'm not going to get rid of either game, but I'd rather spend most of my time playing MVP. I love the feel of the game, I love the franchise mode, and I absolutely can't live without having the minor leagues. BUT, ESPN just feels more fun right now. What can I do to win in MVP?

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

Badgun,

I think it just comes with experience. I'm playing AS with default sliders like you and my overall record with that profile is 4-14. But I'm 2-2 in my last 4 and most of that is my hitting is coming around. I was not walking at all, getting very few hits, striking out 10 to 14 times per game and getting shut out except for the occasional homerun or rare inning where I had more than one guy on base. As games went by I refused to go back to pro because I knew it wasn't challenging enough. I plugged away and now I can recognize pitches (hitter's eye). Once I see where it is coming out of the pitchers hand I can usually tell if it is going to be a ball or strike right away. I also find that I really have to lay off the breaking pitches and wait for the fastball or change if I want a better chance at good contact. The plate discipline is paying off and I feel like I've taken a big jump forward. I've got a long way to go, but it was a big hurdle.

Again, all I can suggest is to plug away until you have a breakthrough.

Ted

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

TRI wrote:Let me give you an example: In a recent game with the bases loaded and the pitcher batting, the CPU walks the pitcher at bat on four consecutive balls pitched with big hitter next at bat.
So is your complaint that the walk was with the bases loaded, the walk was of the other teams pitcher, the walk was on four straight, or the walk was of a player that didn't hit as well as the player behind him?

If that was happening every game, hell every 5th game, I would say it was a glitch. It sounds like a singular event.

Ted

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Hitting comes with experience, and even then, it's not something mastered in 2005. I have big hit games, little hit games, in between, you name it... but I like the challenge. It feels like I'm really facing X pitcher and I love the battle.

I love the pitcher/hitter interface. It's like a showdown and each and every hit is an accomplishment. A homerun is like you were in the "zone" for a brief moment and knew the pitch coming.

Todd

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'll say this and then I'm done singing the praises of this game.

Point and case:

Ben Sheets just threw a no-hitter against me and their hitters beat the hell out of my pitching staff 11-0. I'm numb, even though I was losing all game, I wanted that one hit. One lousy hit and I couldn't do it. I don't think I've ever felt so defeated in a game before. Wow. I can honestly say I don't feel cheated.

Todd

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

Todd,

My High Desert Mavericks got clobbered in their 3 game series against Lake Elsinore 12-0, 13-2, 13-0. I know the feeling :lol:

Ted

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MizzouRah wrote:I'll say this and then I'm done singing the praises of this game.

Point and case:

Ben Sheets just threw a no-hitter against me and their hitters beat the hell out of my pitching staff 11-0. I'm numb, even though I was losing all game, I wanted that one hit. One lousy hit and I couldn't do it. I don't think I've ever felt so defeated in a game before. Wow. I can honestly say I don't feel cheated.

Todd
Must be a night of no-no's. some f-ing fat ass stiff on the Nationals just through a no hitter against my Cubs. I know exactly how you feel.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Hey, I'm not alone!!

Todd

TRI
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TRI »

Granatofan wrote:
TRI wrote:Let me give you an example: In a recent game with the bases loaded and the pitcher batting, the CPU walks the pitcher at bat on four consecutive balls pitched with big hitter next at bat.
So is your complaint that the walk was with the bases loaded, the walk was of the other teams pitcher, the walk was on four straight, or the walk was of a player that didn't hit as well as the player behind him?

If that was happening every game, hell every 5th game, I would say it was a glitch. It sounds like a singular event.

Ted

My point is that the CPU does not challenge weak hitters enough especially when power hitters are up next to bat.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

MizzouRah wrote:I'll say this and then I'm done singing the praises of this game.

Point and case:

Todd
The beat-down continues. I played Cubs at Cardinals, and the Cards beat me 13-3. I gave up 18 hits, 5 doubles, and 5 HRs. Rusch was starting, but he got popped, as did Mitre and Dempster. The worst part was, it was my best game at the plate in terms of making contact. I only struck out twice, I had 6 hits and a couple of walks, and 1 dinger with Patterson.

I like that the game is hard. I am struggling but I really feel like it's me, not the game cheating.

BTW, you can get decent pitch counts if you adjust the CPU swing slider. I have mine at -30. They're not quite realistic, but close enough for me.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Rusch was starting, but he got popped, as did Mitre and Dempster.
Sergio Mitre........when he was 17(around 97), he, I and some friends went to Tijuana every Friday Night and played mens fast pitch softball. Great kid.

Ever try and hit fast pitch softball? Makes hitting a baseball seem simple.

Sorry for the tangent, now back to MVP.

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

TRI wrote:My point is that the CPU does not challenge weak hitters enough especially when power hitters are up next to bat.
That's a good point. I'll keep my eyes open for that.

Ted

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

TRI wrote:
Granatofan wrote:

Ted

My point is that the CPU does not challenge weak hitters enough especially when power hitters are up next to bat.
Well here is another situation that the CPU handles badly and it happened two games in a row. I'm down 5-2 in the 8th and the CPU intentionally walks my weak hitting catcher to get to the pitcher's spot. The problem with this philosophy is that no manager would ever do that late in a game knowing I'm going to pinch hit for the pitcher. So the AI is terribly flawed at times. It looks like EA tried too hard to make the AI look smart that it made it look dumb at times.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Badgun wrote:
TRI wrote:
Well here is another situation that the CPU handles badly and it happened two games in a row. I'm down 5-2 in the 8th and the CPU intentionally walks my weak hitting catcher to get to the pitcher's spot. The problem with this philosophy is that no manager would ever do that late in a game knowing I'm going to pinch hit for the pitcher. So the AI is terribly flawed at times. It looks like EA tried too hard to make the AI look smart that it made it look dumb at times.
If these are the worst 2 things people can find in the game, then I'm happy. At least after a fantasy draft the CPU doesn't put guys like Shawn Green in the leadoff spot or have their best power hitting batting in the 2 spot. In case you haven't already guessed these are things 2k5 did to me during a fantasy draft. Also, 3 teams drafted the same OF position twice in the first 2 rounds, so they had tandems of Beltran and Damon (Both CF).
-Matt