A racing game I want to see

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Boys:
<BR>
<BR>It seems like many of the racing games released these days or in the coming days are sequels, which is cool. Consider:
<BR>
<BR>Project Gotham Racing 2
<BR>Sega GT Online
<BR>Pro Race Driver
<BR>Colin McRae Rally 3
<BR>NASCAR Thunder 2004
<BR>Moto GP 2
<BR>
<BR>I also read where Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 already is in the works.
<BR>
<BR>Here´s one racing sequel I would LOVE to see on PS2 and Xbox: Vanishing Point 2.
<BR>
<BR>Vanishing Point for the Dreamcast arguably is the most underrated console racing game I´ve ever played. The graphics, driving model and gameplay were amazing. That game puckered my poop chute like few other racing games, yet the game hardly got any love.
<BR>
<BR>An Xbox Live-version of VP 2 would be insane.
<BR>
<BR>Does anyone else recall Vanishing Point with such fondness as me? Man, that game was great. Simply great.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

BBReBozo
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by BBReBozo »

PK, I loved Vanishing Point, but not at first. I reviewed the game for DSP way back when and initially was going to slam the game for it´s slow sense of speed and seemingly top heavy cars.
<BR>
<BR>But as I stuck with the game, I realized what an underrated gem it was. A truely amazing sense of speed. But no room for error with the tracks and AI. I found the learning curve to be pretty steep right from the get go and remember tossing more than one DC controller to the floor after bashing my car up.
<BR>
<BR>Great game, though. I thought the "Burnout" series was an unofficial sequel to VP -- maybe made by the same developers?
but really, this is 2004, and nearly everything is considered to be gay now

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I loved VP too, and I think BBR is right that it was ´replaced´ by Burnout.
<BR>
<BR>I still want to see a next gen Jet moto (based off Jet Moto 1)...20 racers, great difficulty, cool tracks, varied handling...
<BR>
<BR>I loved the sick, difficult pack racing of that game.

lessthanme
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by lessthanme »

Yep.. burnout was the next generation of VP, both incredibly fun games.

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

Does Burnout have a stunt mode? I loved that part of Vanishing Point. I know Burnout has that crash thing but I liked doing the jumps & stuff in VP. If Burnout has that kind of mode I may have to dig up a used copy.
<BR>
<BR>mixdj1

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Boys:
<BR>
<BR>Didn´t know that Burnout was the successor to VP. Come to think of it, though, Acclaim did publish both, so it makes sense! Thanks for the tip.
<BR>
<BR>VP was a better game than either Burnout, in my opinion. First, VP had licensed vehicles, and the handling engine for each was just as sublime as that in the Gran Turismo series. Every vehicle handled as it should, and differently.
<BR>
<BR>There was a better variety of tracks in VP, and VP was more of a "pure" racing game, where the emphasis was on speed and driving than on crashes.
<BR>
<BR>VP felt more like a sim of driving ridiculously fast in traffic, while Burnout is more of a crash arcade racer.
<BR>
<BR>Burnout 1 and 2 are fine games, but they´re no VP. Man, I miss VP.
<BR>
<BR>Like BB, I screamed in frustration many times while playing VP, due to its steep learning curve. But that frustration and challenge caused a "one more race, one more race" sensation like few other racing games I´ve played. And the intense frustration was overwhelmed by the blissful satisfaction felt when I finally did meet all the checkpoints in time and win a race!
<BR>
<BR>Plus, remember all the stuff happening in the background during VP? Jumbo jets flying, blimps, etc. This was the first racing title I played with so much stuff moving, albeit realistically, in the game besides the cars.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425