Anyone know how the first Madden for the N64 sold w/out

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Anyone know how the first Madden for the N64 sold w/out

Post by Boom »

having the NFL License?

I believe it was acclaim that sealed the deal that first year. I remember Madden 98 (I believe it was 98) for the N64 didn't have the official NFL License and had to use fake names and uni's.

I remember thinking to myself.. If I had an N64 there's no way I'd pick it up just because of that alone.

I guess I'm asking if Acclaim (or whoever it was) outsold the Madden product that year.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

1994 was the 1st year madden had a nfl license i believe.
thinking back ............team colors and just players # were not that bad, thats how madden got started, and not even all the teams.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

kicko wrote:1994 was the 1st year madden had a nfl license i believe.
thinking back ............team colors and just players # were not that bad, thats how madden got started, and not even all the teams.
Yeah, but if your girlfriend/wife/both starts blowing you every time and then decides that from now on 5 voters will take a pole instead you wouldn't like it would you?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

johnnypark
Mario Mendoza

Post by johnnypark »

I remember buying that madden for the N64. It didn't have the NFL license but it did have the NFLPA. My friends always asked how I could play it with out the real teams.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I don't remember how it sold, but I do remember that Quarterback Club did beat it in sales that year by a significant amount.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ScoopBrady wrote:Yeah, but if your girlfriend/wife/both starts blowing you every time and then decides that from now on 5 voters will take a pole instead you wouldn't like it would you?
You're really reaching there Bobby.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

ScoopBrady wrote:
kicko wrote:1994 was the 1st year madden had a nfl license i believe.
Yeah, but if your girlfriend/wife/both starts blowing you every time and then decides that from now on 5 voters will take a pole instead you wouldn't like it would you?
you lost me with that. but i'm saying if that sega/vc wants to blow smoke at EA then thats their only option. its a step backwards but for $20 we can do without team logos and names, might not be as pretty but what else can you do?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:Yeah, but if your girlfriend/wife/both starts blowing you every time and then decides that from now on 5 voters will take a pole instead you wouldn't like it would you?
How so? My point is when we become accustomed to something we won't accept anything less. Then how about this one: If Winning Eleven had the FIFA license from the very beginning and lost it would it sell as well? I doubt it, look at the outrage over not supporting Live.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

ScoopBrady wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
How so? My point is when we become accustomed to something we won't accept anything less. Then how about this one: If Winning Eleven had the FIFA license from the very beginning and lost it would it sell as well? I doubt it, look at the outrage over not supporting Live.
we are so used to having licenses on games for so long but now we can see how for granted it has been taken. never expect anything to last forever.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Madden64 was one of the best madden games I've ever played.

QBC that year beat it out in sales but it was no where near the quality of madden64 even w/o the real NFL teams.