OT: Racing 2024 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Racing 2024 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by DChaps »

Hard to believe it's been 30 years since Senna was killed at Imola. I think I was watching on ESPN, but I don't believe they knew or said anything during the coverage other than the obvious that it was very bad. Internet was still early days. Maybe I had a dial up MindSpring account by then and probably was still on Compuserve and Prodigy, but immediate news and updates were not easy to come by. It wasn't until later in the afternoon watching NASCAR that it was confirmed what I feared. Becoming a racing fan as a kid in the 1970s, chance of death was just part of it, but it had been awhile since I had it hit home like that. I had become complacent about it, thinking the sport was safe now. As I have on several occasions, I contemplated not following the sport anymore. I remember a few weeks later, I noticed a guy in my neighborhood had an official GA vanity license plate that said Senna. Never even knew he was a racing fan let alone following F1. Back then US F1 fans were few and far between, or it least it seemed that way. Given it was the month of May and I was following the Al Unser Jr./Penske dominance of the 1994 Indycar season, I was back to watching racing by Indy qualifying, but what a strange season 1994 F1 was.

PS - Also hard to believe I had not even started a Racing 2024 thread.