Hockey Night In DSP 2023-2024

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night In DSP 2022-2023

Post by pk500 »

There's no bigger or longer-time Oilers' fan on this board than me, I would guess, so here's my forensic breakdown of a gutting, disappointing loss to VGK in six:

-- The Oilers fell in love with their incredible power play and relied on it far too much, especially in the postseason. Vegas was VASTLY better five-on-five, and that was pivotal.

-- There was not enough secondary scoring. Not even close. Like its overreliance on the power play, the Oilers put WAY too much on the wide shoulders of McDavid and Draisaitl in the postseason, especially against VGK. Nugent-Hopkins was invisible the entire postseason. One damn goal in 12 games after putting up 100 points in the regular season. Hyman was quiet. And I put Kane FAR ahead of Nurse as a waste of space and a contract that can be shed. Nurse made absent-minded mistakes and didn't produce. Kane did STUPID things every game and didn't produce. It says something that Warren Foegele and Derek Ryan were more effective forwards than RNH, Hyman and Kane against VGK.

-- If there's a player who is grossly overpaid on this team, it's not Nurse. It's not even Kane. It's Yamamoto. The guy earns $3.1 million per season for vigorous forechecking and pesky penalty killing. That's all he brings to the team. He has lost all offensive punch. He tries to hit much bigger guys, which is admirable, but he bounces off because he weighs 165 pounds.

-- We need to stop apologizing for Skinner. He was wildly inconsistent in this series, nowhere near the caliber of the Calder Trophy nominee that he was during the season. Campbell was very solid in relief every time. I wouldn't have been opposed if Woodcroft started Campbell in Game 4 after Skinner' poor performance in Game 3.

-- Cassidy flat outcoached boy wonder Woodcroft in this series. When VGK made the tactical change to have its forwards pressure the Oilers' D when the puck was in the VGK zone in Game 3, it transformed the series. Ekholm, Bouchard, Ceci and Nurse weren't used to having forwards in their face with the puck dancing near the blue line, and Woodcroft never really adjusted.

There's still plenty of hope for future seasons with this core. But the window is closing on McDavid and Draisaitl's patience. Sooner than later, they're both going to say "f*ck this" and move to a franchise where they can win a Cup now. McDavid is a UFA after the 25-26 season; Draisaitl after 24-25. I wouldn't be the slightest bit shocked if either or both left if there's no new banner hanging in Rogers by then.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Pretty fair assessment of the series with Vegas PK, have to agree that 5 on 5, knights were the better team. But I would be cautious to call this latest loss a total disappointment. The way some teams barely made it to the playoffs this year, and how the matchups started to unfold, this match up could have easily been the conference finals. And again I was sure that it would go to game 7 the way both teams bettered the other one one game at a time and I thought Oilers did enough yesterday to continue on, but Hill was very good, so was their D and especially Marchessault.

I was rooting for them big time, but I am starting to believe that as long as Bettman remains the commish, Canada will continue to look back at 1993 when P. Roy was red HOT and as long as no talks initiate to bring another team to Canada.

Agree on Yamamoto and NH not showing up during these playoffs, and Kaner, I gotta believe that he was playing hurt. He’s a physical guy that can be a pest to the opponent and I hardly saw that version this year. Look how strong he was during the playoffs last season.

And yes the window dressing will be closing on them if they don’t do something big the next 2 years, but by then who knows if Holland will remain the GM let along Woolcroft. They haven’t reached the panic button year that Toronto has with their core 4, but as you said better get on it and soon.

I have a feeling that your coach never trusted the services of Campbell this year and as mediocre as Skinner was in this series, either you go with your guts and go with him full time no matter what or play Campbell despite his ups and downs.

But to pull him 3 out of 4 times doesn’t help the confidence of a rookie who’s been nominated for the Calder.

And I am not saying that Nurse will cause them any headaches for the near future but with that long term contract at 9+ per, if they don’t advance at least to the SC finals in the next 2 years, people will start talking about how to get rid of that contract.

Hey, you still have the best player in the world so there’s that.

Go Krakens! (Who the hell I am left to cheer for really)

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Arizona. Sold and moving to Utah?

Anywhere is better than the tiny arena they are in now. Next step in AZ is the local rink.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sudz wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:19 pm
Arizona. Sold and moving to Utah?

Anywhere is better than the tiny arena they are in now. Next step in AZ is the local rink.
I mean it’s something that should have been done a decade+ ago but Bettman kept wanting to be near his summer residence. By far his biggest and most stubborn fail as commish. Time to finally let go of his albatross. Of course he won’t expand in Canada while everyone tells him that he should because Quebec is a small market, but at this point anywhere is better than the 5K fans supporting AZ to watch the Yotes.

Houston, Kansas, even Portland…

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 4:59 pm
I mean it’s something that should have been done a decade+ ago but Bettman kept wanting to be near his summer residence. By far his biggest and most stubborn fail as commish. Time to finally let go of his albatross. Of course he won’t expand in Canada while everyone tells him that he should because Quebec is a small market, but at this point anywhere is better than the 5K fans supporting AZ to watch the Yotes.

Houston, Kansas, even Portland…
Please, no, on Houston. The NHL does not need another bullsh*t Sun Belt city that has a core group of fans and otherwise doesn't give a f*ck about hockey. The ratings for this Sun Belt Final Four and Stanley Cup Finals will confirm that.

Salt Lake City or Quebec City should be the only choices. Portland won't work long term. The Pac NW already has two teams, and Rip City is a basketball town with its long love affair with the Blazers.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night In DSP 2023-2024

Post by Sudz »

2 OTs. 2 wins by Florida.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The similarities between the Florida Panthers and Miami Heat in these playoffs -- especially this round -- are eerie.

Two teams exceeding expectations. Two teams with arguably the best head coaches in their respective leagues. Two teams that won the first two games of their respective conference finals on the road. And two teams with MONDO alpha dogs -- Butler for the Heat and Tkachuk for the Panthers -- who are willing their teams to win and leading them in Jordan- and Messier-like ways.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

add a goalie getting HOT at the right moment and they are in a good position to advance out of the east.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sudz wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:31 pm
add a goalie getting HOT at the right moment and they are in a good position to advance out of the east.
With a save % of 9.79 or something close to it at this stage of the playoffs it’s unheard of. It just reminds me of the best Hasek years, or when J. s Giguere got hot for the Ducks or even J. Quick for LA about a decade ago. Even Roy back in 94 if you want to go that far.

But obviously he’s getting it done, his team is quite disciplined nothing flashy other than a Tkachuk getting things done at crucial moments of a game.

Frustrating part for the Canes is that they played better than FLO so far, let’s get that out of the way, but guys like AHO just can’t buy a break at this point.

But that’s been the theme for the Cats so far, outplayed in BOS, with TOR and so far with CAR, they got a keeper that’s finally making his big saves worth his big salary, and they obviously know how to win with a 1 goal difference while all four lines work hard for P. Maurice.

We’ll see if Barkov can play next game he’s been huge for them so far but with a 3-0 advance they can afford to lose him maybe for a game or 2.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Talk about a series being over. League should come hard on Jaime Benn with that early cross check, what’s this guy thinking so early in the game? Ditto for Domi. I don’t know what Oettinger is up to but game 3 in an almost must win and the game is pretty much over after the 1st period. He just couldn’t stop a beach ball tonight, and those classless fans… A beauty.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

10spro wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:09 am
Talk about a series being over. League should come hard on Jaime Benn with that early cross check, what’s this guy thinking so early in the game? Ditto for Domi. I don’t know what Oettinger is up to but game 3 in an almost must win and the game is pretty much over after the 1st period. He just couldn’t stop a beach ball tonight, and those classless fans… A beauty.
2 games for Benn. Such a dumbass play on his part.I mean, Mark Stone has a punchable face, but that was just a stupid way to get tossed AND put your team at a disadvantage for 5 minutes.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congrats to the Cats for advancing to the Finals. What a playoffs run for them. Another 1 goal win during the playoffs! For a series where both teams play a similar style of Hockey I bet no one predicted a sweep by FLO. But BOB did it again in crucial moments of the game along with special teams tonight, heck even the 4th line pitched in. The game had OT all over it.

The emotions that went thru him, the tears, in a season where he struggled during much of the year and they were fighting for a final spot during the last week.

Not to forget Tkachuk, what a series he had.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Florida vs. Vegas or Dallas in the SCF. Let's just say Bettman, Daly and their sales and marketing team are hitting the bottle hard in NHL headquarters for the next two weeks. Same with TNT execs.

It's a series for hockey fans. No casuals will tune in to see two Sunbelt teams with no crossover stars. The ratings will be flat from last year, at best. And that might be a reach.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Who do you think will win the cup?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Sudz wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:41 pm
Hopefully Florida!!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sudz wrote:
I agree with Ray Ferraro: Vegas in five. But three of those games could be OT.

Vegas is too big and too deep for Florida. Plus Bobrovsky was razor sharp because he was playing every other night. That edge could be gone with 10 days off.

I see a lot of similarities between the two South Florida teams in the finals of their respective leagues. Both the Heat and Panthers are underdogs led by alpha dogs, but they're at a significant talent disadvantage to their Finals foe. The magic carpet ride ends here for both.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

pk500 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:58 pm
Sudz wrote:
I agree with Ray Ferraro: Vegas in five. But three of those games could be OT.

Vegas is too big and too deep for Florida. Plus Bobrovsky was razor sharp because he was playing every other night. That edge could be gone with 10 days off.

I see a lot of similarities between the two South Florida teams in the finals of their respective leagues. Both the Heat and Panthers are underdogs led by alpha dogs, but they're at a significant talent disadvantage to their Finals foe. The magic carpet ride ends here for both.
That 10-day gap is going to be a factor. Not sure why the NHL didn't try to get game 1 in earlier this week. I know they try and avoid games on the same day as the NBA but that's a lot of momentum to lose.

Probably going with vegas in 5/6.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Vegas pounding Florida. Their chippy, aggressive play isn't as effective as it was and Bob has come back down to earth.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sudz wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:57 am
Vegas pounding Florida. Their chippy, aggressive play isn't as effective as it was and Bob has come back down to earth.
The long wait didn’t help him for sure, he’s in a regular season form again.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'll stand by my original prediction four posts up ... :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Love him or hate him, M. Tkachuk has to be a candidate for the Conn Smythe winner. Gets hit hard, usually is the other way around, comes back not 100%, scores the tying goal and the team faces a dubious PP with 11 seconds to finish the 3rd period. Huge win in OT to say the least, Vegas had chances for sure to go 3-0 but it’s a new ballgame…

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I would take Tkachuk on the Blues for any of our players.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

that was an ass-kicking.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

There was no doubt that Vancouver boy C. Bedard would be drafted #1 for the Hawks. So obvious that NHL 23 apparently already has him in the rosters for CHI. This guy is going to be special, his quick release, his skills to setup teammates at the tender age of 17 will raise many eyebrows.

Surprised Fantilli didn’t get picked at #2 but in this deep draft, the top 8 drafts should be ready for the NHL.

Is it me or Bettman looks shorter every year?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I was surprised at Fantilli sliding too. Also was surprised by the Habs taking Reinbacher at #5. My Flyers got a great player at 7 but have to wait 3 years to reap the benefits. I’d have been happy with Leonard but Michkov is supposedly a stud - possible game changer. Time will tell
Last edited by Diablo25 on Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25