Hockey Night In DSP 2023-2024

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night In DSP 2021-2022

Post by 10spro »

The best player in the world, just did his magic and won the series for the Oilers. While not playing at his beast mode the last 2 games, he was clearly the difference maker throughout the series. The other match up I did not see happening was M. Smith outplaying Markstrom.

Draisatl, put big numbers too in the series, I would have never thought that this series would have been over in 5 games let alone EDM coming out the winner.

Flames tried hard the last 2 games in fact I thought they were the better team in game 4 despite the loss, but credit to the coaching staff for EDM. Despite being down early 0-2 tonight, they turned things around in the second period, and showed great composure and patience in the third.

Canes are a win away from facing the Bolts, but if they don’t know how to win on the road, they’ll face a game 7 with all the pressure on their backs.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

What was the verdict on the go ahead goal off the Calgary's players skate? I guess they ruled it was kicked in, instead of the player trying to stop? Kind of looked like it was going in regardless but the player couldn't stop quick enough?

Either way, it's nice to see the Oilers waiting on the Blues or Avs for the Conference Finals.

I think the Canes can give Tampa Bay a run for their money if they make it past the Rangers.

LET'S GO BLUES!!!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MizzouRah wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:29 pm
What was the verdict on the go ahead goal off the Calgary's players skate? I guess they ruled it was kicked in, instead of the player trying to stop? Kind of looked like it was going in regardless but the player couldn't stop quick enough?

Either way, it's nice to see the Oilers waiting on the Blues or Avs for the Conference Finals.

I think the Canes can give Tampa Bay a run for their money if they make it past the Rangers.

LET'S GO BLUES!!!
Controversial for sure if you’re on the losing side. The rule was that it was kicked in although to me it was more of a guiding the puck in. Regardless, the better team won at the end because their top players just outplayed the top Flames’ guys.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wow, what an ending in St Louis. Credit to the AVS, they carried much of the play where I was telling myself how they could still be down by a goal half way thru the second period where they had a barrage of shots and the home team only 9 while still leading 2-1.

Blues played it safe while leading the game looking for the killer counter attack. But much like the Oilers, all those years of losing in the first round, finally payed off for COL. They never really panicked, they continue to attack with speed even though the Blues were clogging up the zone effectively, it should be a shootout with EDM next round.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm rooting for Edmonton!!!!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:52 pm
I'm rooting for Edmonton!!!!
Always room for more on the Oil Derrick! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Hurricanes got SPANKED.

f***in bandwagon fans jumped off that ship before the start of the 3rd.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sudz wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:04 am
Hurricanes got SPANKED.

f***in bandwagon fans jumped off that ship before the start of the 3rd.
Shows you how loyal and understanding the fan base is. They have a players’ coach in Brind’amour, had an excellent season only to run into injuries with both of their goaltenders. Seeing how Rantaa’s knee buckled was painful to watch. So no luck there but their fault was their inability to win away games. Not just with NY but also during their first round.

Still, they got a good team for a couple of more seasons.

Now to the series that everyone should be watching: Avs-Oilers. McDavid vs MacKinnon. Should be dandy and if I were the COL coach, I would love to see Cale Makar against McDavid. We all know how difficult it is to contain #97 but Makar is an excellent skater too.

Watch out for that matchup during the series.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Did I say that the Avs-Oils would be a shootout? 11 goals so far and still in the second period. :twisted:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

That was a crazy game!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Game is not over yet but the Rangers have scored 6 goals on the top goalie in the NHL. What a start to the series for them, I did not expect that!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MizzouRah wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:22 pm
Game is not over yet but the Rangers have scored 6 goals on the top goalie in the NHL. What a start to the series for them, I did not expect that!
With all the time off TPA had, their rust was showing big time. Collapses in D, Kucherov looking disinterested, they peppered a lot of shots at Igor but he was huge for the Rangers. That kid line led by Chytl was fun to watch, veterans like Kreider. I am sure Bolts will pick up their game, a bit of ugliness in the end.

Come on Refs just let the big guys punch each other out…

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Very impressive performance by Avs last night. The Oil better come out flying at Rogers, or this series is done.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

pk500 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:14 am
Very impressive performance by Avs last night. The Oil better come out flying at Rogers, or this series is done.
Totally shut down McDavid and Leon. Though, I can't help but wonder what the Oilers would be like with a decent goalie.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sudz wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:11 am
pk500 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:14 am
Totally shut down McDavid and Leon. Though, I can't help but wonder what the Oilers would be like with a decent goalie.
And that’s the thing with Smith. But before throwing him into the waste bin, he’s been also one of the reasons why they are here. At 40 you just don’t know which Smith is going to show up, a little lack of focus and the Avs will bury you.

All COL D-men are great skaters, former Vancouver Giants Bowen Byran whom I watched when he was just 15, (he’s a big guy with great skates), Toews, Manson and of course my favorite Cale Makar. He’s just McDavid’s shadow so far, you can’t totally stop him but they surely have managed to contain their top line. Oils’ best D-man D. Nurse got to be hurt as he’s limited in some actions.

EDM has been good at home though, but something tells me that they must win both games to have any chance.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

When you score five goals in a game, in particular a playoffs game, it should be enough to win a game. Problem for the Oilers, COL is as much of an offensive threat and more. Best effort yet, I thought for the home team, their best players put on a “must win” visor and it showed. But the depth that this AVS team has ultimately was just too much, players like MacKinnon, Compher, Toews and again I’ll mention it over and over: the best D-man today in Cale Makar.

My buddy was telling me half jokingly, the best D-man since Bobby Orr and I since he’s only 23 years old, I knew exactly where he was heading. Thing is, people think he’s an offensive defensive D guy, but when you watch this young man skate, he’s all that and more. Great at stick checking, covered #97 with aplomb especially at home when the coach could match lineups and he can be physical too for a smaller guy.

Another tough D-man, have to mention Darnell Nurse. Obviously he’s EDM best in the blue line but I could tell he wasn’t skating his best during the first two games already. After the game he mentioned about tearing his hip flexor and played thru the pain. Now that’s one tough dude.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Another tough dude: Draisaitl. He played the entire Calgary and Colorado series with a high ankle sprain after he was taken down awkwardly by a Kings' player late in the first round. Clearly couldn't push off that leg to shoot and didn't have the same edge control on his skates.

Colorado is just a better team, period. No excuses. The Oilers weren't beating that team even if full strength.

Makar is transcendent. I agree with the TNT team: If I was starting a franchise today, McDavid would be my No. 1 draft pick. Makar would be No. 2. It's just so rare to see a defenseman who is that gifted offensively still handle his responsibilities in his end.

The Cup is Colorado's to win. The goaltending in the NYR-TB series hasn't been quite as impressive as we expected, and neither the Bolts nor the Rangers have the depth of the Avs. Hell, the Avs' fourth line was one of the best in this series for either team. That says something.

A hell of a fun ride this season with the Oil. The ESPN+ package allowed me to see so many games without the $200 expense of Center Ice, so I saw far more games this season than in the last 10-15 years.

Woodcroft made all of the difference behind the bench. Now it's up to Holland to build upon this.

Many decisions to make, starting with goalie. Smith has one more year left on his deal, and no team in the NHL will take him as a starter due to his age and the high-wire act of starting him in goal. So, either send him as a quality NHL backup in a trade deal to get a No. 1 goalie, or go get a No. 1 goalie and let Smith be the backup since Koskinen already has said he's playing next season in Switzerland.

The Oilers CANNOT win a Stanley Cup with Mike Smith in goal. Holland must admit that now and act.

Otherwise, the Oil needs another quality defenseman who can move the puck. Yeah, I know: Every NHL team needs that. But the Oilers don't have a lot of skill on the blue line past Nurse. It's either pluggers or offense-only guys like Barrie. Sadly, Klefbom was that guy, but I don't see him playing again. Who knows, maybe Broberg could emerge. But he showed me little this season in his limited stints.

There also are some decisions up front that need to be made, starting with Kane. I think he showed more than enough to merit a contract, as Kane's addition gave the Oil two dangerous front lines or a super-stacked first line. But his asking price could be steep, and I don't want to blow the cap to sign him.

Puljujarvi is prime trade bait. Let him go. He's not fulfilling the promise of that big body. There are a bunch of UFAs who will be gone, such as Archibald, Russell, Turris and Brassard.

There is a nice foundation upon which to build. But Holland needs to make all the right moves to elevate this team above Colorado.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I still think Tampa Bay matches up well against Colorado, of course they still have to get past the Rangers.

Thanks for taking out Kadri Kane, we owe you one!

.. and YES, Draisaitl is one hell of a tough player!!!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

GO BOLTS!!!

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Avs coming out HOT tonight.

Jack Johnson is the second pairing on a B league beer team at best.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Two soft goals allowed by Vas could haunt him, as that game could have been there for the taking for the Bolts.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I think the Bolts bounce back tonight.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Haha.. don't ever take my predictions for any betting insight. Wow, Colorado beat the crap out of the Bolts.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

This may be a sweep. Tampa was down 2-0 last series but they're not playing the Rangers anymore.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Lancer wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:52 pm
This may be a sweep. Tampa was down 2-0 last series but they're not playing the Rangers anymore.
But they are still the SC champions. I don’t understand why some people are so hasty to write them off already. Sure they looked rather tired to me the first two games. Vasi was hardly himself especially in game 2 but I rarely see him struggle more than 2 games in a row. Rarely. And to me he’s in the top two when in come to his position. They have the best coach in J. Cooper and some of his best players need to show up still in the series.

Now, I am not sure if I would have left Vasi after the 5th goal. Key’s to tonight game is clear. #88 has to be sharper especially on his blocker side and his team to match the speed and intensity of COL. They were awesome in the puck pursuit, the first 2 games.

Now needless to say this is a ‘Must’ game for TPA and with all those savvy veterans, I doubt they fail to show up tonight, especially at home. They are a very resilient team, trust me on that one.

I picked COL to win it all the last two seasons, and my wallet still reminds me of how silly I looked because of their inexperience. But I like how they play, the players they have, their depth. Odds are in their favor, but I know TPA won’t go away easily.

I hope the series can be stretch to 7, but it would be silly to write off TPA, this early.