Hockey Night In DSP 2023-2024

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night In DSP 2018-2019

Post by 10spro »

XXXIV wrote:
10spro wrote:If you asked me if coach Q would be the first coach to be fired in this young season, I would say 'NO way'. There were rifts on the way that started last year, huge contract tie ups that are not of his fault but after 10 seasons GM Bowman decided to pull the trigger. If he didn't make this move the bullet would have been on the GM instead. A business move.

He's 60, probably will stay unemployed for a very short period of time and will mean only thing. Teams in trouble will be tempted to fire their own to get a head start on coach Q.
Well said.

Q will be writing his own ticket next year or if he doesnt like the available destinations he will be taking another year off laying back watching TV collecting a huge pay check.

No need to feel sorry for this guy. He is a and the big winner.
Next year? I would be shocked if he doesn’t get a call from the likes of OTT, FLO, EDM, PHI and St Louis to name a few teams if they don’t turn their fortunes around...

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Oh did I say St Louis? Check. What a bunch of underachievers, could coach Q be unemployed for long?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Add EDM to another bunch of underachievers. With all those first picks over the years, they’ve reached the playoffs onlyonnce for the past dozen years or so. Coach Hitch should wake up some standby passengers like M.Lucic and improve the D a bit but if they miss the boat again this year, Peter Ciarelli should start counting his days as well.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

10spro wrote:Add EDM to another bunch of underachievers. With all those first picks over the years, they’ve reached the playoffs onlyonnce for the past dozen years or so. Coach Hitch should wake up some standby passengers like M.Lucic and improve the D a bit but if they miss the boat again this year, Peter Ciarelli should start counting his days as well.
Chiarelli has already crashed the ship, and now he's throwing passengers overboard to save himself. They used to be a bunch of underachievers, now they're simply a below average team with the best player in the league randomly thrown in.

He traded the best LW in the league for a non-descript second pair defenseman, and he has nearly nothing to show for trading Eberle nor for the first round pick that the Isles used to get Barzal. Then he throws cap space and dollars at one of the worst major free agent signings in the league with a declining role player like Lucic.

Of course our GM in Philadelphia is clinging to his spent coach too long, so I can only criticize so much for this particular move.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

This one is more surprising but when your team can't stop a beachball in a Jekyll and Hyde type of season, GM R. Hextall payed the price. Injuries aside, PHI is still looking for that elusive goaltending position for a long time and the 6-0 drilling over the weekend vs the Leafs didn't help.

It wasn't long ago that no one wanted to take the likes of veterans Ryan Miller, M. Smith, or the trade value was for a poor bottom draft pick, but things have changed this year. So many teams are in need of some kind of solid goaltending, Flames, Oilers, Canucks, Kings, Coyotes besides the Flyers.

S. Bobrowski in an UFA next year, he'll be in high demand.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:This one is more surprising but when your team can't stop a beachball in a Jekyll and Hyde type of season, GM R. Hextall payed the price. Injuries aside, PHI is still looking for that elusive goaltending position for a long time and the 6-0 drilling over the weekend vs the Leafs didn't help.

It wasn't long ago that no one wanted to take the likes of veterans Ryan Miller, M. Smith, or the trade value was for a poor bottom draft pick, but things have changed this year. So many teams are in need of some kind of solid goaltending, Flames, Oilers, Canucks, Kings, Coyotes besides the Flyers.

Not surprised. Hakstol was a Hextall hire too so he better contact his realtor. Carter Hart is in Lehigh Valley. He’s our only hope in the near future. They rave about his maturity but he’s struggled this year.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:This one is more surprising but when your team can't stop a beachball in a Jekyll and Hyde type of season, GM R. Hextall payed the price. Injuries aside, PHI is still looking for that elusive goaltending position for a long time and the 6-0 drilling over the weekend vs the Leafs didn't help.

Not surprised. Hakstol was a Hextall hire too so he better contact his realtor. Carter Hart is in Lehigh Valley. He’s our only hope in the near future. They rave about his maturity but he’s struggled this year.
Pretty shocking move IMO. Firing the coaching staff is way over due, but Hextall has been patiently rebuilding. He's built up a deep pool of prospects, and has tons of cap space despite having a good amount of talent in his top-6 FW already.

He's basically mailed it in about tailoring the roster for season-to-season however, making basically zero impact moves to craft a coherent roster here and now.

I think what ultimately did him in was his loyalty to the coaches and bungling the goalie situation. His decision to re-sign and rely upon Neuvirth with a new extension 2 years ago, while Neuvirth was chronically injured and playing terrible when in the lineup, was baffling at the time and is biting back hard now.

Coaches are definitely going next, but it makes sense for the new GM to pick the new coach.
Last edited by Naples39 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

DP

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Naples39 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:

Pretty shocking move IMO. Firing the coaching staff is way over due, but Hextall has been patiently rebuilding. He's built up a deep pool of prospects, and has tons of cap space despite having a good amount of talent in his top-6 FW already.

He's basically mailed it in about tailoring the roster for season-to-season however, making basically zero impact moves to craft a coherent roster here and now.

I think what ultimately did him in was his loyalty to the coaches and bungling the goalie situation. His decision to re-sign and rely upon Neuvirth with a new extension 2 years ago, while Neuvirth was chronically injured and playing terrible when in the lineup, was baffling at the time and is biting back hard now.

Coaches are definitely going next, but it makes sense for the new GM to pick the new coach.
Was looking for your thoughts here Naples. Sounds about right. Wonder if Holmgren has someone in mind already.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

He's your future for years to come. I watched this kid play in the juniors, Flyers fans need to be patient and although many thought that he was ready for primetime, don't forget he's only 20 years old. Solid keepers don't become household names until 25 or so, personally I think it was good for him to have another junior year to develop his skills. Once you have that key position secured, you guys will have more than a decent team.

I liked what Hextall collected in that youth, but ultimately not having a reliable #1 keeper was his undoing.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Had the chance to finally watch the young Canucks of 2018 vs the Knights at Rogers arena last night courtesy of the league’s lousy schedule every year for VAN. How do you explain 15 road games in the first 22 matches at one point while they were teams that hardly slept in hotel rooms for no more than 7 games during the same amount of games?

Who makes the schedules? NO wonder they end up being with the most injuries every year when you don’t have any control whatsoever. No time for practice, seven regulars out at one point and we barely reached the 28 games plateau.

They are finally in the middle of a five game stretch at home, (their previous home games lasted no more than two games) and my buddy and I just wanted to see Elias Pettersson live.

The kid didn’t disappoint despite the tough loss. I call him a magician, there are just moves that reminds me so much of #99 no less, his vision, his presence, the way he sees the ice is like no other. I can only think of Mitch Marner now and A. Matthews matching his abilities and this is only his first year in the NHL.

He’s got speed, a lot of talent, he can read opponents play and he doesn’t give up on the puck as you can watch below. Just a beauty, this kid is for real, he’s #40, he is going to be one of a kind for a long time.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

With a 650 million entry fee, SEA was the next right choice to be the 32nd team in the NHL bringing a good balance to both conferences. We’ll see the new franchise in a couple of years and I look forward to the three hours ride there to witness a new rivalry in the league between SEA & VAN.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Word is Hakstol is a “dead man walking” and that he will be fired this week AND Joel Quennville will be offered the job.

Also! Carter Hart has been recalled from Lehigh Valley and will make his debut this week. He supposedly is a stud in the making but young. 10s gave me rave reviews/scouting reports on him so I hope he FINALLY is the answer in net the Flyers have been looking for.

Looking forward to Naples’ thoughts on this.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, I read that twitter feed yesterday about Hakstol’ inevitably fall. Like you said he was a dead man walking when they hired Fletcher. Thing is, the main brass already made that decision over the weekend when the team was still traveling yesterday from a poor western trip but they had to make official today after a meeting with Dave, instead of finding out thru social media.

Like I said earlier, I thought Hextall’s firing was a mistake they should have given him more rope, although he never covered the position that the Flyers needed more help. That was his undoing.

Hart is going to be your future. I have no doubt about it. I don’t know about throwing him into the water now when confidence is lacking and poor play are the norm. But when they faced the Canucks on Saturday they had to call an emergency back up goalie still in college when Stolarz left the game early.

So yeah, injuries, the eternal search for a decent goaltending goes on with the Flyers but careful about rushing a diamond in a rough.

Just saying...

And although nothing is official you knew that coach Q wouldn’t be unemployed for long.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Like I said earlier, I thought Hextall’s firing was a mistake they should have given him more rope, although he never covered the position that the Flyers needed more help. That was his undoing.
I disagree with that. Hextall was evidently a total control freak with the organization...to the point of absurdity. I’ll post the column I read on this matter and you can decide. I change was needed.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Like I said earlier, I thought Hextall’s firing was a mistake they should have given him more rope, although he never covered the position that the Flyers needed more help. That was his undoing.
I disagree with that. Hextall was evidently a total control freak with the organization...to the point of absurdity. I’ll post the column I read on this matter and you can decide. A change was needed.
10s...READ

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/12/h ... xtall.html
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
I disagree with that. Hextall was evidently a total control freak with the organization...to the point of absurdity. I’ll post the column I read on this matter and you can decide. A change was needed.
10s...READ

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/12/h ... xtall.html
Well, that’s his side of the story.

In my view there’s nothing wrong having a GM hiring close people that he can share the same thoughts and philosophy while keeping a close watch.

I do see a problem if Hakstol didn’t really have the freedom to do his coaching because he kept hearing Hextalls’ whispering. That’s wrong. And that’s what the writer thinks it happened.

And the only President/manager that I thought was doing that was B. Burke who’s now an analyst for Sportsnet.

So the writer thinks to really show Hakstol’ true colors, the new GM should show more patience. Well, that didn’t last long did it? Either way he was dead man walking.

The issue now with your team is that it seems that upper management can’t decide whether the Flyers are a transition team or in full rebuild. I thought more of the former with a nice core of prospects including C.Hart.

But with Chuck in command now, they may start from scratch again. During Hextall’s tenure, the team went like twice to the playoffs in four years right? Not too shabby for a team in transition, bordering on mediocrity in my opinion.

But his biggest mistake was never being able to land a number 1 keeper. And again, I hope they don’t rush Carter Hart. This season is lost already, let the kid develop accordingly.

Also, regarding the big boss P. Holmgren. What exactly did he do when he was GM?

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I have season tickets at Providence College and every time the summer comes up, we hear that the coach Nate Leaman is up for an AHL or NHL job since he won a national title at PC. He hasn't left yet but he has a lifetime job at PC but if he makes the jump to the NHL like Hankstol did, you could be out of a job in a couple of years.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The kid gets it done! 20 year old Carter Hart doesn’t disappoint. Gets the 3-2 win in his NHL debut. Both goals were legit...no slip ups. Nice to see something positive for the Flyers after a pretty tumultuous few days.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For two teams that only face each other twice in a season, there’s was plenty of emotion and lots of bad blood with almost a full line brawl as Martel hit Stecher heavily on the head. We are talking about the best team in the NHL now in the Bolts facing the Canucks. Four brawls and an ejection.

TPA is a deep team, they come at you with a lot of pressure, a lot of speed and skills and a superb goalkeeper that keeps them in close games. There’s no doubt who the better team was at Rogers arena, they just don’t need to get to the cheap stuff, no need for that.

VAN who’s starting to get healthy was on a little run but there’s was no matching the high octane Bolts.

Would love to see a Bolts-Jets finals.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Which Blues team will we see tonight vs Vancouver?
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MizzouRah wrote:Which Blues team will we see tonight vs Vancouver?
Probably the one they lost 6-1 two weeks ago... :twisted:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote: Probably the one they lost 6-1 two weeks ago... :twisted:
That's what I'm afraid of! :lol:
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MizzouRah wrote:
10spro wrote: Probably the one they lost 6-1 two weeks ago... :twisted:
That's what I'm afraid of! :lol:
A much different Blues team so far at least for the first 20 minutes, outshooting the ‘Nucks 15-5. The whole team was sleep walking in the first, embarrassing. :oops:

Carter Hart was astounding again tonight. Phillies do have something to cheer about for a change, he’s your franchise goalie for sure. I discovered this gem two years ago in the minors.