HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by vader29 »

Congrats to 10spro on the win at Augusta.

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Congrats 10spro!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

DivotMaker wrote:Congrats 10spro!
Thank you guys!

Woot? 8O Me wearing a green jacket? When I a shot a 66 on the first round, I was in disbelief. Perhaps watching the Pros helped me be more conscientious in terms of course management, but ultimately I attribute my play to the ability of scrambling out of trouble (and I had a few) whenever I had to.

When I started hooking the ball again, whether I was in the pine straw or digging from the sand, I was able to get the ball back into play to get me a fair shot at par.

Also to be honest, this version of the Masters was not as brutal as the earlier versions. I know the greens were set on fast but it was a fair fast, at least for me. Ironically, I had more problems with the uphill putts.

Now, to the real tournament. That was a great finish at Augusta. When I saw J. Spieth on Thursday I thought he was going to cruise on all four rounds as he did a couple of years ago but what a balanced and solid performance by Patrick Reed. Talk about nerves of steel. Whenever he got into trouble, he was cool enough to stay the course and come back with a birdie. Never let the emotions get the best of him and although it was nerve wrecking in the end, he really deserved the win.

My go to guy was Rickie Fowler, he had a solid Sunday too and was just that close. But Jordan Spieth had an exceptional round and if it wasn't for the cushiony lead Reed had going into Sunday, we could have seen a three way playoffs. 8)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Yes, kudos to James (10spro) for a solid tournament from start to finish! I played with your and Vader's ghost balls the last three rounds and noticed how consistently you chipped and pitched the ball. That plays big dividends at this course!

I got within two shots of you in the final round after birdying the 9th hole. I then hit my approach to within 16 feet of the hole on 10 and was looking to cut it to one. I four putted from 16 feet, missing a two foot bogey putt. On 11, I pulled my second consecutive double bogey after the terrain funneled my approach shot to the lake on the left of the green. I then bogeyed 12 from the greenside bunker and it was all but over. I birdied 13, but had to scramble for par on 15 and you were long gone by then.

I really enjoyed the tournament though. I felt like I was experiencing some of the excruciating moments that the players in the real tournament were experiencing with the way the course imposes such a fine line between a great and a bad shot. I really love Magnolia National... I can't imagine how good it would look with Magnolias, dogwoods, and azaleas!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yes congrats 10's, to think I was -3 after round 1 and to end up like that. I played with your ghost, no idea how you get your irons to stick like they do. Mine roll off the green like they are trying to get a free sandwich.

Something that seems to be apparent as I watch other people's ghosts is that you need to putt aggressively, I tend to die my ball into the hole and often just miss, and i see putts from other guys just hit the hole going 100 mph. Considering my drives are at the same distance as most and my putting is usually at worst a 2 putt anymore I need to work on my irons and getting them to stick the greens, they seemed to do more of that with Tour clubs than player.

I think my biggest gripe with the game is Tour clubs have better distances and are often more situational better. Hitting an iron from 200 out is better than a hybrid etc. I really don't see a fix however as people using those clubs should be getting some reward, maybe an option to enforce all players use the same clubs, I'm not for character attributes. Some of the par 5's on the 3 day are unreachable with player clubs, of course i can always just get better but I'm enjoying it more with player clubs so I don't want to stress out again. :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:Yes, kudos to James (10spro) for a solid tournament from start to finish! I played with your and Vader's ghost balls the last three rounds and noticed how consistently you chipped and pitched the ball. That plays big dividends at this course!

I got within two shots of you in the final round after birdying the 9th hole. I then hit my approach to within 16 feet of the hole on 10 and was looking to cut it to one. I four putted from 16 feet, missing a two foot bogey putt. On 11, I pulled my second consecutive double bogey after the terrain funneled my approach shot to the lake on the left of the green. I then bogeyed 12 from the greenside bunker and it was all but over. I birdied 13, but had to scramble for par on 15 and you were long gone by then.

I really enjoyed the tournament though. I felt like I was experiencing some of the excruciating moments that the players in the real tournament were experiencing with the way the course imposes such a fine line between a great and a bad shot. I really love Magnolia National... I can't imagine how good it would look with Magnolias, dogwoods, and azaleas!
Very kind of you John. Out of the four rounds, the only time I really felt in control of the game was during the very first round. You mentioned hole #11 and the Amen corner just almost always gets the best of me. You must have felt like Jordan Spieth until #11. Very good effort. I also enjoyed this version of Magnolia. I usually just play speed golfing, but I did pay particular attention to this course little details, took my time putting and as I mentioned earlier took a little more time on course management when I was in trouble.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Danimal wrote:Yes congrats 10's, to think I was -3 after round 1 and to end up like that. I played with your ghost, no idea how you get your irons to stick like they do. Mine roll off the green like they are trying to get a free sandwich.

Something that seems to be apparent as I watch other people's ghosts is that you need to putt aggressively, I tend to die my ball into the hole and often just miss, and i see putts from other guys just hit the hole going 100 mph. Considering my drives are at the same distance as most and my putting is usually at worst a 2 putt anymore I need to work on my irons and getting them to stick the greens, they seemed to do more of that with Tour clubs than player.

I think my biggest gripe with the game is Tour clubs have better distances and are often more situational better. Hitting an iron from 200 out is better than a hybrid etc. I really don't see a fix however as people using those clubs should be getting some reward, maybe an option to enforce all players use the same clubs, I'm not for character attributes. Some of the par 5's on the 3 day are unreachable with player clubs, of course i can always just get better but I'm enjoying it more with player clubs so I don't want to stress out again. :D
Thanks man. Not just your first round at the Masters but I did noticed an improvement in your strokes lately and it’s showing in the score sheet. As I was telling John above, the only round I felt I played out of my mind was during the first round when I was sticking the ball about 6-7 ft of the pin.

From then on, it was just plain course management and pitching well enough as I was struggling a bit with my swing with a fast/fast tempo. I switched to Tour clubs about a month or so ago when I was playing with Vader. I was telling him how inconsistent I was with the Tour setting but in the end I told myself to stick to it, knowing that I would be in the Black well before the Red.

Still playing with those clubs but believe me, my irons don’t stick as well as you think they do.

Keep the good work.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

I wanted to play DSP last week, but just couldn't with Labs and Scans all day Monday and infusion chemo on Tuesday on top of getting an exemption to the World Tour to play the Masters there. Making the cut gave me my World Tour card and I finished 47th out of 90 players at -28. Also played TST on Magnolia and finished -10. Eight rounds of Augusta in the midst of the fog of chemo is all I could stand.

Great playing fellas and congrats to all who finished!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

DivotMaker wrote:I wanted to play DSP last week, but just couldn't with Labs and Scans all day Monday and infusion chemo on Tuesday on top of getting an exemption to the World Tour to play the Masters there. Making the cut gave me my World Tour card and I finished 47th out of 90 players at -28. Also played TST on Magnolia and finished -10. Eight rounds of Augusta in the midst of the fog of chemo is all I could stand.

Continuous prayers and good wishes in your current battle Divot. Good that you can put in some hours of diversion in times of stress and anxiety. Congrats on your Tour card, keep it going.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:I wanted to play DSP last week, but just couldn't with Labs and Scans all day Monday and infusion chemo on Tuesday on top of getting an exemption to the World Tour to play the Masters there. Making the cut gave me my World Tour card and I finished 47th out of 90 players at -28. Also played TST on Magnolia and finished -10. Eight rounds of Augusta in the midst of the fog of chemo is all I could stand.

Continuous prayers and good wishes in your current battle Divot. Good that you can put in some hours of diversion in times of stress and anxiety. Congrats on your Tour card, keep it going.
Thanks for the kind thoughts....very much appreciated.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

You scored a -10 playing TST at Magnolia!? That's quite a feat! I shudder to think of the numbers I'd post there playing TST... *IF* I could post one - it would probably end in a rage quit :)

Anyway, I pray that all is going well with your treatment? Infusion chemo consumes an entire day, does it not? I've been working 72 hours a week for the last four weeks, and it's all I can do to get in 72 - 108 holes in for the DSP Tour right now. I miss playing the TGC Tours and official Society events in that time. I'm looking forward to getting back into them coming Monday.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:

You scored a -10 playing TST at Magnolia!? That's quite a feat! I shudder to think of the numbers I'd post there playing TST... *IF* I could post one - it would probably end in a rage quit :)

Anyway, I pray that all is going well with your treatment? Infusion chemo consumes an entire day, does it not? I've been working 72 hours a week for the last four weeks, and it's all I can do to get in 72 - 108 holes in for the DSP Tour right now. I miss playing the TGC Tours and official Society events in that time. I'm looking forward to getting back into them coming Monday.
Thanks for the supportive thoughts John.

Just so I don't hijack this thread, I will post my response in the Prostate Cancer thread.

My apologies for the threadjack and I hope you find time to play more.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I have a feeling we will see some really low scores this week. I didn't even play well and was -5 or -7 for the event. Tight course but if you can hit it straight you can score. I had trouble on the greens only because of shadows. I have an eye condition so I literally can't see the whole when it is in a shadow. I put the flag in for help but it somehow makes it more challenging for me. They really need the option to remove shadows. Believe it or not I just discovered the high contrast HUD a few weeks ago, so often times I couldn't read the elevation change on shots. Probably why I've been playing better :)

As usual I played the whole thing in one sitting, I tell myself to play 1 round a day and enjoy it but nope I just power through it. LOL. I'm really looking forward to the next game with some proper multiplayer options. I think it would be a blast to play and shoot the s*** at the same time.
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Congrats once again to John.

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Congrats John!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Shooting in the low 60's is a great feat without disrespecting the difficulty of this course. If your ball lands on the heavy rough here, it's quite an adventure as I found out on the last round trying to catch up Vader. Just a par three cost me 7 shots as I was trying to simply flop the ball from the rough back into the greens and got nothing but a couple of shanks into the water.

Congratz John, your last two rounds were amazing.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I can't see the results at work for some reason image won't load but congrats John,
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Thanks guys, it was fun tournament and I played about as good as I can play. I bogeyed the first hole in the final round to fall a stroke behind Vader, with a 3-putt from 18 feet (I played the first hole in one over par for the tournament with two bogeys and a birdie there). I got hot with the putter later to make up for some inaccuracy with my approaches. I witnessed 10sPro's meltdown on the first par 3 and was able to empathize... I've been there myself bro!

Did anyone think there were at least three holes at Harbor Town that had limbs that were way too low,and impeded approach shots where they shouldn't have? I found myself having to play punch shots at least twice per round, where I thought I'd hit a decent tee shot. Still, it was a good looking course and fun to play!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I don't know how to embed this but I can't believe this didn't go in.

http://xboxclips.com/Danimal66/daf4645c ... f306eac33f
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:I don't know how to embed this but I can't believe this didn't go in.

Nice shot regardless!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:I don't know how to embed this but I can't believe this didn't go in.

It looked like it was destined to go for a while, but had a wee bit too much speed at the hole. That was as good a quality video as I've seen from an XBox One game. I haven't tried xboxclips, but now I'll look into it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:

It looked like it was destined to go for a while, but had a wee bit too much speed at the hole. That was as good a quality video as I've seen from an XBox One game. I haven't tried xboxclips, but now I'll look into it.
I'm saving my videos at 4k which I just found out doesn't auto upload them, so I need to manually upload them to Xbox Live before they show up here. When I was saving to non-4K they just showed up. Just go to the site and put in your GT and see your own.

BTW Terry put me on to this site from our Madden leagues, back when Terry used to play games :D
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I had a hole in one on the final round of this weekend tourney. I thought I uploaded it to Live but it is not showing up. Boy that course can be tough when the wind is kicking.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:I had a hole in one on the final round of this weekend tourney. I thought I uploaded it to Live but it is not showing up. Boy that course can be tough when the wind is kicking.
Congratulations and yes the wind can play havoc on that course.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Danimal wrote:I had a hole in one on the final round of this weekend tourney. I thought I uploaded it to Live but it is not showing up. Boy that course can be tough when the wind is kicking.
I only played one round. Nice -5 score. I struggled with my swing, kicked one in the water, landed many in the sand traps, putts were in the 12-15 ft range for par. Not pretty.