HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:Congrats John, don't know how you did it but good for you for figuring that course out.
Thanks Mark... I hate to admit that I figured the course out by playing very timid golf. I played 3-woods off some of the longer par 4's, just to keep the ball in the fairway, took one club less than I thought I should many times for approaches to avoid run-through, and took 20% off the distance my instincts were telling me I should use for putt strength. I left a lot of putts short doing this, but I was usually left with a par putt of 3 feet or less when doing so.

I had two of the "ball rolls back to your feet" situations when leaving a couple of chips short, but skated out with bogeys in both cases. There was one pin placement in the final round that was just insane. I hit my birdie putt just past the hole, it stopped, and then rolled back 12 feet toward me. 8O I made the 12 footer coming back for par, but it just felt weird. It was things like this that made me rate the course a 4 star, as opposed to a 5. It looks great and plays great until you get to the greens.

I don't want to play my next tournament as cowardly as I played this one though. It was like being given the keys to a Ferrari 488GTB at Monza, and then taking it out and averaging 80 MPH. Yeah, I'd be able to keep it on the track, but it wouldn't trigger an adrenaline rush. :)
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:Congrats JC!
Yes, just like a Tiger, your game seems to be clicking again eh? I really didn’t mind the course in he beginning despite my early struggles. If it wasn’t for the unpredictable wind, it was the unrealistic speed of the greens. By the 12th hole of the third round, I just told myself to finish the tournament. I could NOT wait to finish the fourth round and it became speed golf. I don’t know why other than the two factors I mentioned, because it’s a nice course to play.

Regardless, good shooting out there.
Yep, I'm getting some of my confidence back, but just as importantly, I'm keeping my urge to go "John Daly" in check when I experience a little adversity. I can relate to what you're saying because once it kicks in, I play speed golf and just turn a score in. It makes me feel like a poor sport when I do it, but I have to own it when I do it. :)

I think this course would play okay with medium-fast greens. I probably could have given it a 5 if it has implemented them

And thanks Tim, but I have a feeling I would have had to turn on the afterburners to try to keep up with you had you played this one :wink:

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

The pin position on the 17th hole in today’s first round Society tournament is a prime example of one of my biggest course design pet peeves: 3 foot diameter around hole not level. :? :x

-MERACE

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MERACE wrote:The pin position on the 17th hole in today’s first round Society tournament is a prime example of one of my biggest course design pet peeves: 3 foot diameter around hole not level. :? :x

-MERACE
Wait until you see some of the pin locations in round 2. :roll:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I only played the first round and for some reason I couldn't get a straight shot no matter what as most of my shots kept going to the left, even tried curving my shot to the right a couple of times and the shot feedback showed that it still was curving left. Had one of my worst rounds ever so I am going to go back to player clubs once again for the rest of the tourney and see how that works out.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Been out of town this week fellas....which course are you playing?

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

DivotMaker wrote:Been out of town this week fellas....which course are you playing?
Druids Glen
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I played 2 rounds last night, it is a challenging layout. This isn't a real course is it? I spent more time in the sand then anywhere else. I think I am even or +1 after 2 rounds. It is a course you can't just grip and rip, need to play lesser clubs. A thinking man's course, ie not my game :D

Was nice to putt on slower greens then concrete for a week through.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

vader29 wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:Been out of town this week fellas....which course are you playing?
Druids Glen
Thanks.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Heading out of town until next Monday, so you won't have me to kick around for a week or so. :P Hit 'em straight, fellas.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Druids Glen results, congrats to John once again.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:Druids Glen results, congrats to John once again.

This was much closer than the final leaderboard would indicate. Since there was only 4 people playing the final round, I was playing with the ghost balls of each player in the field. James birdied the first hole while I was making a 3-putt bogey from 11 feet, and we were tied for the lead. I made some long birdie putts afterwards and got it back on the rails, but I didn't really feel comfortable until I got to like the 15th hole.

This was a really strange and different course. I don't quite know how to categorize it. I did like the medium slow greens for a change, even though I left a good many putts short one them.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Congrats to Divot, nice scores from everyone, really enjoyed playing this course all 4 rounds.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Great tournament Tim, and yes... good scoring by everyone. I was hovering around second place after round three, but I couldn't get my 4th round in on Sunday, with the little bit of time I had with work last night and what little bit of Easter stuff I could do with the family.

Mark, you're right... I really enjoyed playing this course also. It's my favorite course in TGC 2; the textures and lighting are the best I've seen and it's fun to play, albeit a bit easy. This is a course I look forward to seeing in TGC 2019!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Last again but I feel good about finishing a 4 day under par, considering I powered through 4 straight rounds after getting home from a week vacation. I really loved the course as well.

Question I have been meaning to ask. Is there a way to get a ghost name off the screen on the greens? Occasionally someone will just miss a put and then there name obscures the hole while I'm trying to putt and it makes it hard (for me at least)
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:Last again but I feel good about finishing a 4 day under par, considering I powered through 4 straight rounds after getting home from a week vacation. I really loved the course as well.

Question I have been meaning to ask. Is there a way to get a ghost name off the screen on the greens? Occasionally someone will just miss a put and then there name obscures the hole while I'm trying to putt and it makes it hard (for me at least)
Yes, but I’m not at home and won’t be til later tonight. If no one else answers, I’ll try to this evening.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Enjoyed the par 3 mini warm up. I was in contention until I hit it in the water on 8 and 9 on the second round. I'm looking forward to this weeks event, this is a great rendition of the course and if the winds are kicking like they were in my practice round scores might even be in the realm of realism.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:Last again but I feel good about finishing a 4 day under par, considering I powered through 4 straight rounds after getting home from a week vacation. I really loved the course as well.

Settings>Display and HUD>Ball Labels.

You have 3 choices.

On all the time.

Off all the time.

Fade after a few seconds.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DivotMaker wrote:

Settings>Display and HUD>Ball Labels.

You have 3 choices.

On all the time.

Off all the time.

Fade after a few seconds.
Thanks, I have it set to fade. 99% of the time they fade off but at least once a round if a putt is just missed the name will not fade off.
Follow Me on:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Danimal wrote:Enjoyed the par 3 mini warm up. I was in contention until I hit it in the water on 8 and 9 on the second round. I'm looking forward to this weeks event, this is a great rendition of the course and if the winds are kicking like they were in my practice round scores might even be in the realm of realism.
Same. I put two in the water on 8 in the last round. :oops:
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I had a decent first round but I was in terrible positions for the 2nd round pns and shot horribly. Then my wife started talking to me in round 3 and I got distracted. LOL

I'll finish up this weekend but was hoping to do better. One bright note I discovered the high contrast HUD and can actually see the information now.
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

F*** Augusta! :evil:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

vader29 wrote:F*** Augusta! :evil:
Pretty sure some of the Pros concur based on what’s going on the second round at the Masters. Much like our tourney, the wind just picked up to wreck some havoc in the second round. Even though you may have a 4-5 foot putt to the hole, they are unnerving putts.

Had a good first round only to fall back to earth on the second round, some of the uphills holes just owned me making me reputt even beyond my original spot.

In terms of distractions for me, nothing more annoying than having your dog jump on your lap at the most innoportune times.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm in a Masters pool, you needed to pick a guy from 5 groups. Total prize money wins, First prize is $1800, I had Reed circled from a group and as I turned it in, I scratched him out and took Woods after listening to the media love fest all day Weds.

Stupidest move ever at this point.
Follow Me on: