Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:PS - Is there a forum somewhere that the developers are lurking in? I could not find much info at Race Department or the Steam forums. Would love to give some feedback to the Devs. This game is so good, but with a few little tweaks to how the ghosts and Leaderboards work it could be perfection! :)
Don:

I don't know if the devs are following this subsection at Race Department, but there is some good information in these threads, especially from a user named girlracertracey:

http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/tt ... e-game.80/

Perhaps Twitter or the IOM TT page on Facebook is the best way to provide feedback to Kylotonn?

Twitter: @ kylotonn_games
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TTIoMtheGame/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I've seen other screenshots of leaderboards showing more than 3 people, but that could have been the PS4 version. Hopefully it isn't limited to the top 3, or else you'll never see me. :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My two requests for an upcoming patch for this game:

1. Add steering sensitivity and other controller settings adjustments to the console version of this game. They're available in the PC version released this week.

2. Tweak the physics a bit. The rear loses traction too suddenly at times and slides out when cresting hills and through dips, pitching the rider sideways diagonally off the bike. There is no warning and no catching. I also think the front end of certain bikes is a bit too "loose" when correcting while exiting a corner. What should be a simple correction instead pitches you sideways in the other direction. A bit too much of a "weighted pendulum" effect.

Minor quibbles, though. Still loving this game!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Hey DChaps - thanks! My gamer tag is actually Crucialmike.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Was doing research for school and came across this. Thought you guys would get a kick out of it:
http://www.travelfilmarchive.com/item.p ... uto+Racing

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

pigpen81 wrote:Was doing research for school and came across this. Thought you guys would get a kick out of it:
http://www.travelfilmarchive.com/item.p ... uto+Racing
Cool find, Piggy! Thanks.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Finally completed a lap of the Mountain course without a fall, on Cam Donald's Honda Supersport.

Oddly enough, it was 30 seconds slower than my best lap on Bruce Anstey's Honda, which included two falls! I definitely p***y-footed it through the Mountain when I realized I could ride a perfect lap.

Now the challenge is to find more speed while staying clean. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This fast, clean lap on a Supersport has helped me realize there are a ton of places during one lap of the Mountain course where I don't need to lift or brake. Poor man's telemetry! :)

It's one thing to watch and understand. It will be another for me to put these lessons into practice. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Complete walkthrough of 15:23 lap:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

19:37.726, Daniel Hegarty, Honda CBR600RR Supersport, no falls, 4/4/2018

A bit wobbly in a few corner sequences, but that was more than overcome by keeping it pinned on far more sections than ever. I used engine braking or a slight lift far more than any touch of the left trigger. I also left the bike in one higher gear than before on exit of many non-hairpin or 90-degree corners, which created less wheelspin and more control.

I'm using Hegarty's bike in my Career mode but never thought to use it in Time Attack on the Mountain. I don't know if I was still weirded out by learning after I selected the bike in Career mode that Hegarty was killed in December in a crash at the Macau GP. Maybe so. But I just wrapped my head around it and said: "Eff it; I'm going to ride this bike in memory of this kid. Dig the bike, and everything I read about him after his death indicated he was a good dude."

Dig it. Can sub-19 be approaching? :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Hell of a job, man!!!!

And yes...a slight breather with no brake is definitely a recipe for more speed there.

There are a few corners that are imperative that you absolutely nail. Usually the semi-sharp left-handers before a long, long straight. If you hit those right, you can gain a couple of seconds on the next straight alone. If you hit it wrong, well...

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

How is career mode by the way? I get limited opportunities to play this one, so I always just jump into Time Trial and the Mountain Course.

Had a good weekend - broke 22 min, and then broke 21! 20:57 I think?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:How is career mode by the way? I get limited opportunities to play this one, so I always just jump into Time Trial and the Mountain Course.

Nice going, dude!

The Career mode is bare bones. Pick bike, get emails of race offers from team manager, race, earn money, buy more bikes, rinse, wash, repeat.

But at least there's decent variety in the types of races. Career mode also is a good way to learn the other tracks and parts of the Mountain circuit. I like Career mode as a diversion from my obsession to shave time from the Mountain course in Time Attack.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:Hell of a job, man!!!!

And yes...a slight breather with no brake is definitely a recipe for more speed there.

There are a few corners that are imperative that you absolutely nail. Usually the semi-sharp left-handers before a long, long straight. If you hit those right, you can gain a couple of seconds on the next straight alone. If you hit it wrong, well...
Thanks. I was on an even faster screamer the following lap and was putting my ghost into the vanishing point. I almost entered a different sense of reality as I screamed past the Grandstand, through St. Ninian's Crossing and down Bray Hill without even a lift until Quarterbridge. Passed through the first section in about 1:24, which was my all-time best by two seconds. Just nuts.

But a crash a few minutes later ended that trance and that dream. I was too mentally spent from that effort and the previous quick lap to take another go.

IOM TT melts my mind -- in good and bad ways -- like few other racing games I've played. Still LOVE it!
Last edited by pk500 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

pk500 wrote:
fanatic wrote:How is career mode by the way? I get limited opportunities to play this one, so I always just jump into Time Trial and the Mountain Course.

Nice going, dude!

The Career mode is bare bones. Pick bike, get emails of race offers from team manager, race, earn money, buy more bikes, rinse, wash, repeat.

But at least there's decent variety in the types of races. Career mode also is a good way to learn the other tracks and parts of the Mountain circuit. I like Career mode as a diversion from my obsession to shave time from the Mountain course in Time Attack.
Cool. I'm thinking it might be time to explore the other tracks and mix it up a bit, so this indeed sounds like a nice diversion!

I'm realizing how much I like these harder/sim type racing games now. Thanks to DSP, I just picked up WRC7 (unopened) and will grab F12017 as well. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:I'm realizing how much I like these harder/sim type racing games now. Thanks to DSP, I just picked up WRC7 (unopened) and will grab F12017 as well. :)
Adding IOM TT, that's a holy trinity of quality simcade racing games. Fine choices! Plus WRC 7 and F1 2017 -- especially F1 -- are far deeper games with multiple modes, types of cars, etc.

Enjoy!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

It's crazy: I'm really starting to recognize a lot of corners when I watch real-life IOM TT videos on YouTube, such as this FANTASTIC documentary:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm starting to think about turning off the racing line on the Mountain. There are just too many instances in which the line is blood red, yet I can keep the throttle pinned.

Think I'd rather take the short-term hit to my times and pride to learn the course and not be distracted by mind-melt of going full tilt in an area the game says I should be slowing.

Decisions, decisions ... :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Turned a 19:49 on Hegarty's Honda CBR600RR Supersport with seven crashes on what I called a "learning lap." Only 12 seconds slower than my best, which came on a clean lap.

I'm learning there are so many corners where you think you need to brake but instead can make it through pinned or with a slight lift.

More education to come this weekend! I really need to resist the urge to hit restart if I crash after the first two or three minutes and just stay with the full lap, ignoring the stopwatch and learning as much as I can about the course.

P.S.: I tried running without the racing line for a bit. Never made it even to Quarterbridge without a crash. :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Terry:

I have a little weekend challenge for you that will take you about one minute, 22 seconds to beat: I'm quicker than you in the first section of the Mountain course, 1:23.1.

Wasn't trying to set a quick time in one sector. But I put together a blinder in the first section on a full lap of the Mountain that fell apart later.

Now if I can only string together 11 more sections like the first ... :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So for the hell of it I fired up TT Superbikes on the PS2 and even to this day it holds up well, framerate and handling wise. It's no contest regarding graphics but I was pleasantly surprised how well a 15 year old game holds up to the current game.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

pk500 wrote:Terry:

I have a little weekend challenge for you that will take you about one minute, 22 seconds to beat: I'm quicker than you in the first section of the Mountain course, 1:23.1.
I didn't see this until today, and it actually took me probably 9 or 10 tries to beat. You were FLYING through there, man!

I finally came in at 1:22.62 after a bunch of tries, multiple falls, and damn near wondering if I was going to pull it off.

Great job. That was nowhere near easy for me.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:
pk500 wrote:Terry:

I didn't see this until today, and it actually took me probably 9 or 10 tries to beat. You were FLYING through there, man!

I finally came in at 1:22.62 after a bunch of tries, multiple falls, and damn near wondering if I was going to pull it off.

Great job. That was nowhere near easy for me.
Nice work! If only I could keep that pace for the next 11 sections of the course. :)

The patch that dropped last week for PS4 and PC is supposed to be released later this week for Xbox One. The main feature is adjustable sensitivity settings for console controllers. Eager to dig into that.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DChaps wrote:F1 2018 Beta Testing Signup:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/f ... re.149521/
Thanks, I hope I can get in on the beta seeing i've bought every F1 game since 2010.