PS2´ers: Let us know how the online adapter works

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hi all:
<BR>
<BR>A call to all PS2 owners: We´d love to get feedback from anyone who buys the Sony Online Adapter.
<BR>
<BR>How does it work with Madden and NFL 2K3? How does the voice feature work with SOCOM? Any issues for broadband users who play against dial-up users?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jima
Mario Mendoza

Post by Jima »

I would like to know any info about the adapter for anyone with a dialup.
<BR>I don´t have broadband and can´t get it so I would like to know if it´s even worth it for me to buy.
No signature!

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I picked up the adapter last night. I have a cable connection. I only had an opportunity to play two games of NFL 2K3. There were only about 10 people in the lobby at 9PM EDT. The first game I played was horrible (uplayable choppy). The second game I played was as if the person was in the room beside me. It was very good, although I am very much a 2K3 newbie and I lost 21-8. One thing I didn´t like was that there didn´t seem to be a chat function within 2K3 once you started a game. Maybe that is good because the guy I was playing went for it on 4th and 15 from his own 35 in the 2nd quarter and he was also trying to run up the score late in the game when I was OBVIOUSLY trying to kill the clock just to end the game without getting a disconnect against me (running plays with a minute left, not using timeouts, letting the play clock run down, etc.). Oh well, the kid was probably 14.
<BR>
<BR>I´m assuming that the first guy had a real slow connection. There was no way to see anyone´s connection quality last night. Somone said that Sega was performing maintenance on the servers.
<BR>
<BR>I´m going to rent Madden tonight and give it a try.
Gamertag: Leebo33

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I rented Madden tonight and the game online was FLAWLESS. There was no lag whatsover. I played two games and it was some of the most fun I have ever had playing video games.
Gamertag: Leebo33

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Leeb:
<BR>
<BR>Very cool. Glad you´re enjoying the experience.
<BR>
<BR>Nov. 15 can´t get here soon enough for me and many other Xbox owners, I´m sure!
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Templehorn
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Templehorn »

Well I am not too impressed with the online adapter if you have a broadband connection. I have the Linksys usb adapter, and it works the same. If you just play Ea and Sega games, I would recommend stick with the 3rd party over the sony. Why? Because sony´s adapter you have to put in the back, then got to have your cord reach around the end. Also the thing is bulky and really annoying if you are in need for space. The 3rd party one I like better since it is 10x smaller, attached from the front of the console via the usb ports, and more versitle to move wires around.
<BR>
<BR>These are nitpicky reasons I know but I don´t know why sony couldn´t have made a small type of adapter like linksys and gave you the option of placing it via the front with usb ports. Whatever one you have, if you just play ea and sega, you can just go with the linksys. Your not missing out on much with sony´s adapter if you already using a 3rd party.<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Templehorn on 28-08-2002 22:57 ]</font>

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Temple of all that is Siam:
<BR>
<BR>Thanks for the input, man. Very perceptive, interesting stuff.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK

Neckthai
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Neckthai »

I finally got my network adapter last night, and since my dsl modem is defective (another story for another time) I have to connect with a dial up.
<BR>
<BR>I agree with Templehorn that the Network Adapter is a little big and bulky, but it was an easy install. For those of you who had a dc the pain of having it in the back to plug in a network or phone line everytime is still there. But it´s worth a little pain.
<BR>
<BR>As for game play, the online game wasn´t as choppy as I thought it would be as a dial up user.
<BR>
<BR> I played four games and the feedback I got from my broadband opponents was that the game was flawless on their end. I had a couple of lags, but nothing that ruined the gameplay experience for me.
<BR>
<BR>I´m still looking forward to taking the thing up to broadband speeds, but dial up is serviceable if you have the right server and aren´t playing at peak times.

RustedWalleye
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by RustedWalleye »

I picked up the Sony Adapter last week. After finding out I had to have a router to play online (long story) I got the router and got the Sony Adapter working flawlessly. I am playing Madden exclusively and have played over 25 games now with the Sony Adapter and have had one disconnect (both users lost connection) and I had a power surge last night, then even made it through the surge protector to cut my PS2 power as well as my cable box.
<BR>
<BR>Ive played against those with 1 dot (assuming 56kers) and 5 dots and all have been very playable. The 1 dot users I do notice some lag on my side (my connection is very stable 95% of the time) but it very rarely affects gameplay. When I was using a 3rd party adapter I had plenty of occassions where the lag would effect gameplay. I plan on picking up SOCOM this coming week and will relay my experiences there when the time comes.
<BR>
<BR>All in all I think its a worthwhile buy for the PS2 user. If you are just going to play MAdden or 2k3 and have a 3rd party adapter I would just stick with that. Probably wont make that much difference overall. Dialup has no choice but so far from what Ive seen Madden is very playable for you as well.
<BR>
<BR>Walleye