HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by RobVarak »

10spro wrote:When you get to the weekend Tarantula Open on the second round at the 13th hole, please tell me that there’s some serious BS going on the greens. You can check my video if you wish, the ball just rolls down on you when you’re literally inches away from getting into the hole. I thought ok, maybe once, but three freaking times??? :evil:
There's horse$hit all over the place on this course.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

RobVarak wrote:
10spro wrote:When you get to the weekend Tarantula Open on the second round at the 13th hole, please tell me that there’s some serious BS going on the greens. You can check my video if you wish, the ball just rolls down on you when you’re literally inches away from getting into the hole. I thought ok, maybe once, but three freaking times??? :evil:
There's horse$hit all over the place on this course.
Yup....it is a crap course for sure.

Vader, if you like, I could post all the RCR courses here if you wish so we avoid some of the crap with courses like Tarantula.

Here is the link to the RCR courses at TGC2 forums...

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=18986.0

Current list

Augusta National Golf Club ( members Ed) - Royce

Pebble Beach - Bomber

Firestone CC South ( harvest) - Bomber

TPC Sawgrass -Bomber

Hobble Creek G C - Bomber

ST Andrews- Clv

Magnolia ( not final edition) - Clv

Magnolia par 3

Pinehurst No. 2 - Clv

Chambers Bay-Clv

The Belfry-Han

Vallentuna- Mike Mike

Taby - Mike Mike

Cape Kidnappers

Crooked Stick-Drlowden

Loch Lomond-Yeltzman

Turnberry Ailsa - Yeltzman

Royal birkdale open 2017-Yeltzman

Royal lytham and st annes - Yeltzman

The Olympic Club Russwest44

Oakmont CC-clv

Woburn -Golf Club- Marquess

Winged Foot West-russwest44

Pine Valley, NJ-craig118

The National Golf Club of Canada

Blue Devil Golf Club

Kingsville GCC, Kingsville, Ont

St. Clair College GC

Merion East-clv

Robert Trent Jones GC -Aces

Copperhead at Innisbrook Resort -Aces

Quail Hollow GC -Aces

Golf club of Houston- Williamhotel69

Belleview GC

Congressional Country Club-rod81simo

PGA National ( National) -rod81simo

Links at Lighthouse Sound-jeffield

Le Golf National-drlowdon

Baltusrol GC Lower Course

Fox Chapel Golf Club-pitt1976

Pittsburgh Field Club -Pitt1976

Whistling Straits - craig118

Riviera CC- Steve2golf

PGA West (stadium course) Steve2golf

Bass Rocks G.C. - Derric Souza

Druids Glen Golf Club - Leon Taylor

Erin Links - Steve Lillico

Waialae Country Club - Nobuko Tanaka

Tpc Scottsdale , Arizona (REV 2.0) - Calavera999

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Yeah I'm just putting in the TGC Official courses once in a while to mix it up, played this one last night for practice and remembered why I haven't gone back to it. I believe Leadfoot was the only one on my friends list leaderboards that shot under par on this course.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Well Divot shot -6 in the first round so I think we all just suck! :P

I seriously want an achievement to pop up if I ever break par on this course.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Whomever designed these greens has a place reserved in hell for them.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Confirmed. Hole #6 2nd round, similar BS.

POS course that I can't believe is an "official" course.

Reminds me of the kinds of idiotic courses that infected TGC1.....

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Divot - I don't think we are even playing the same game :lol: . -19 on this circus course through 3 rounds? I think I can pack up my clubs and go home on this one.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Bakes wrote:Divot - I don't think we are even playing the same game :lol: . -19 on this circus course through 3 rounds? I think I can pack up my clubs and go home on this one.
I figured this one out....you have to play conservative course management, especially off the tee. Got lucky with a -10 in 3rd round. A lot went right because I did not try to force long bombs off the tee. And I hit the ball pretty well.

Previous round was a -3 after starting -5 after 5 holes, so things can and do fall apart......

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

J_Cauthen wrote:
I truly hope they're going to give the swing tuning some attention in the next update. I wish you could experience the PC version with the 60 to 75 FPS performance I typically see on my PC, at graphics settings that are significantly better than either console version. In my experience, tempo management is easier with the higher frame rates.
I get between 20 and 30 FPS on my mid spec laptop PC. The low frame rates may be the reason that I very rarely get P/P in my tempo. :(
J_Cauthen wrote: I'm curious, when you play TGC 2 now, are you more likely to play the PC version, on your laptob, over the PS4?

I ask because I still find the PS4 version of TGC 2 to be the least desirable to play. It doesn't seem to have the color and contrast range of the XBox One version, and it's still more prone to hitching during the swing.
I'm playing the PC version way more than I'm playing the PS4 version due to the stuttering in the swing and ball flight animation. But the main reason I'm even still playing TGC2 at all is due to my recent purchase of ANOTHER controller to add to my 4 other PS4 controllers. This one is a wired Xbox One for Windows controller that actually allows me to hit the ball fairly straight most of the time. It just shows how dependent a successful TGC2 swing is on the condition of the controller. :roll:

PS, I played in the DSP Society PC tournament today at PGA West. I rage quit after the second round due to the ridiculous pin positions. :twisted:

-MERACE

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

PGA West is one of the best courses in the game. I have played all 4 pin placements and found none that seemed unfair.

McNaughton Golf & Tennis is a really nice course that plays very well.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:I get between 20 and 30 FPS on my mid spec laptop PC. The low frame rates may be the reason that I very rarely get P/P in my tempo. :(
Having played TGC 2 on all three platforms, including a PC that drives it between 60 and 70 fps, most of the time, I can easily say that higher frame rates help one achieve perfect/perfect tempo more frequently. I'd say I hit perfect/perfect 90%, or more on the PC, whereas it's more like 70 to 75% with the console versions.
I'm playing the PC version way more than I'm playing the PS4 version due to the stuttering in the swing and ball flight animation. But the main reason I'm even still playing TGC2 at all is due to my recent purchase of ANOTHER controller to add to my 4 other PS4 controllers. This one is a wired Xbox One for Windows controller that actually allows me to hit the ball fairly straight most of the time. It just shows how dependent a successful TGC2 swing is on the condition of the controller. :roll:
I see the stuttering in the PS4 version myself. The PS4 version's golfer animation is the one that's most likely to have the occasional awkward looking finish where his hips are facing 90 degees away from the target, while his head is facing the target.

The condition of the controller does make a huge difference in the game... more than any game I've ever played. I've somehow managed to lose (between me an my grandson who likes taking the magnetic thumbsticks off and on it) my XBox One Elite controller, and I'm now finding that I do good to break par with one of my stock XBox One controllers. The other two I'd have trouble breaking 80 with it. I'd be in the same boat on the PS4 if I didn't have a Nacon Revolution Pro controller with it.
PS, I played in the DSP Society PC tournament today at PGA West. I rage quit after the second round due to the ridiculous pin positions. :twisted:
I came close to rage quitting it in the second, third, and especially the fourth round, where I 4-putted from 9 feet :evil: I had a 4" downhill, slightly right-to-left breaker for birdie. I barely got it rolling, it lipped out on the low side, picked up speed, and rolled 38 feet past the hole, through the fringe, through the fairway, and into the light rough. I then hit a chip that turned out to be one of those unexpected "checking chips"... the ball hit the green, and stopped within 6 inches, leaving me a 21 foot putt for bogey. I two putted from there for a triple bogey.

I liked the looks of this course and its challenge. I think I would have enjoyed playing it a lot more if it had at least been made with medium-fast greens. Even though the greens rarely looked out of whack, in terms of slope, they just seemed to be more vulnerable to the fast speeds than most courses. I never figured out the greens here, and for reasons I can't get a handle on, I had trouble reading the breaks there, even with beaded green grids. I had at least three 4-putt greens, and 15, or more 3-putt greens in this tournament :oops:

I think I finished +2 for the tournament, and I no point in the tournament was I ever lower than -2, nor any higher than +6. It was just a weird experience overall, but one that was spiced by some of the greatest shotmaking I've ever made.
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Whomever designed these greens has a place reserved in hell for them.
I'm going to give this course a go today on the PC version. My work schedule got extended this past weekend and I simply didn't have time to play the XBox One Society weekly. I'll be booting up the XBox One version here in a bit to play the Daily, so I'll go back and have a look at the scoring from the weekly :) The way my experience with the XBox One version is going here lately, I'd have probably been counted among the early rage quitters! :lol:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Vader, no more fantasy courses. Pleeeaaazzeee...

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Xbox weekend tourney results, was going to post before work this morning but forgot. Great scores Divot.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:Vader, no more fantasy courses. Pleeeaaazzeee...
Ditto.

Although this course is by the same designer who gave us the remarkable TPC Sawgrass version. I wish he would stick yo RCR’s and drop the fantasy crap.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

DivotMaker wrote:
10spro wrote:Vader, no more fantasy courses. Pleeeaaazzeee...
Ditto.

Although this course is by the same designer who gave us the remarkable TPC Sawgrass version. I wish he would stick yo RCR’s and drop the fantasy crap.
I was -2 going into the 12th hole and my tee shot ended up in the rough and then I kept coming up short of the green out of bounds before it eventually maxed out at 11 shots, +7 for the hole and finished the daily at +3.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

I saw you at -1 and thinking you had a pretty good round going.....

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote: I was -2 going into the 12th hole and my tee shot ended up in the rough and then I kept coming up short of the green out of bounds before it eventually maxed out at 11 shots, +7 for the hole and finished the daily at +3.
I was never under par on Peklinika and promptly took myself out of the competition on the third hole, where I had a "Stroke Limit Exceeded" 11. I got into a thicket in a depression and couldn't hit the ball out to saftey... it just would hit a tree and roll back into the same mess.

For the first time in my TGC 1 or 2 career, I had a second "Shot Limit Exceeded" on the back 9, for a record breaking 2 SLE's in the same round. Luckily I had 5 birdies mixed into my round, or I wouldn't have broken 100... I shot a humiliating 95 :( As badly as I was swinging yesterday, I couldn't have broken par at Little Brook Manor though :oops:

I've got a really bad case of the hooks on the XBox One version right now. On what feels like my natural swing, the feedback meter is usually finishing at the edge of the cone to the left. When I try to correct it, I wind up with what looks like a pull-hook, or IOW, a double-cross.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Oaken Hills GC is also a nice layout, very appealing and challenging gameplay.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DivotMaker wrote:McNaughton Golf & Tennis is a really nice course that plays very well.
I set that course as the site for today's DSP Daily on the PC. It is an outstanding course... already one of the top ten courses I've played in TGC 2!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I was chasing you all day 10s...birdied the last two to overtake you into 2nd. LOL. That was fun.

Still can't beat Divot tho.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I was chasing you all day 10s...birdied the last two to overtake you into 2nd. LOL. That was fun.

Still can't beat Divot tho.
Yeah, good work mate. I was literally inches from birding 17th and 18th. My mind was set to catch Divot as I was seeing you close too.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

I was -6 through 9. Got to -8 and doubled the 17th after putting one in the water. f***! (My most used phrase with this game).

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

That’s some great playing fellas!

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I struggled on the front nine and had fast and slow downswings throughout and couldn't consistently get close approach shots to the green, first putt seemed to always be from 20 to 40 feet away.