F1 2016

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: F1 2016

Post by TCrouch »

fletcher21 wrote:I should have just let him past, but I was intent to block him as long as I could.
The AI in F1 2016 is some of the best ever....if they rammed you in the gear box, it's because you were blocking way too late/hard. If anything, they're too conservative and DON'T take the chances that they should, in my opinion.

So if they're slamming into the back of you, you definitely changed lanes or blocked too heavily.

Not judging, just sayin'...lol

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Lol probably true. It's impossible to see behind you in the far chase cam I use. I wish there was a rear view on constantly instead of looking back manually. Proximity arrows help but I still feel blind to what's behind me

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

What difficulty and assist settings are you all using?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

No assists. I believe I had it set to "Very Hard", but I'll have to check next time I fire it up.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:What difficulty and assist settings are you all using?
Hard. ABS on. Traction control medium.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

pk500 wrote:
This is absolutely what I'd recommend if using a controller. You might get away with lower traction control if you've got great trigger control, but you'll need ABS and TCS to really keep the car on the track unless you're able to apply 27% trigger instead of 33% trigger (which isn't most people).

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

pk500 wrote:
Exactly my setup. Smart minds think alike lol.

I was 14 races into a season with McLaren, but I started over. I was in 3rd place in the championship with 2 poles and 2 wins. I started over with Haas, and it's an ideal team in terms of challenging but not too extreme. I gave it a go with manor and if just wasnt fun. The car was awful with zero down force, as well as no speed. The only positive was the sound of the Mercedes engine was nice.

One thing I have noticed is if it rains, the AI gets extremely cautious and slow. Both poles and wins I got with McLaren were in the rain. I got the pole by something like 2.5 seconds over the 2nd place Hamilton, which is crazy. During the race, all you need to do is hang on thru the first few laps and just pull away. I was well on my way to winning the first race in Australia in the rain too, but I crashed into a car trying to lap him and destroyed my suspension.

All in all its an outstanding game, but winning in the rain kinda puts an asterisk next to it. I LOVE the new Baku course, it's easily in my top 5.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

So, it's clear the general feeling about this game around here is super positive, but what did I do wrong? I took advantage of the trial, which lets you run one race in career mode. I chose the Williams - not a bottom-tier car (as I'd used in some way-back previous F1 career mode where I took the Cetarham to great heights after maybe three and a half seasons), but not one of the true top three either.

Anyway, I was insanely slow! I think I was using Hard difficulty, and there are at least two difficulty levels above that. But I was several seconds slower than even the Manor. Now, I really hate Australia. I mean, I am never quick there in any version of any F1 game, and I mean F1 World Championship on N64 type of "never." But I also don't think I've ever been THAT slow and far off the pace.

I was having some trouble with late corner-exit oversteer; that is, not ever really losing it right when first applying the power, but having lots of trouble into gears 4 or 5 losing the back end. Surely old thumbs, even with the awesome elite controller, and trigger fingers have something to do with it, but I mean, come on! What was super frustrating was that I couldn't ever figure out where I was losing so much time. I'm not kidding I was seconds behind even the Manor.

I do wish that, in old F1WC on the N64 fashion, I could look at real telemetry data and graphs and charts to see where and on which corners my entry or exit speed were really off the mark compared to other cars, at least compared to my teammate. And I do like the new Practice tasks or challenges, which do help with technique (the tire management one was a disaster for me btw but I could see a path to improvement over time with those).

So is it just Australia, or me at Australia, or have I just really become that bad? I've always had some learning curve with these Codie's f1 games, but this was absurdly, embarrassingly bad. And of course I've always been better at some tracks than others in these games (always, always awful at Australia and I've never really been able to figure out why), so at some point I was just resigned to suffering through until the next race, but the trial only gives you the first race.

And here you guys rave and go on and on about how this is a high point for Codie's F1 games! I will never have the kind of time to get in deep the way I did those couple of years when I really dug into the career modes, but I'd enjoy having a fun F1 race from time to time.

What gives?

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Zeppo wrote:Anyway, I was insanely slow! I think I was using Hard difficulty, and there are at least two difficulty levels above that. But I was several seconds slower than even the Manor. Now, I really hate Australia. I mean, I am never quick there in any version of any F1 game, and I mean F1 World Championship on N64 type of "never." But I also don't think I've ever been THAT slow and far off the pace.

So is it just Australia, or me at Australia, or have I just really become that bad? I've always had some learning curve with these Codie's f1 games, but this was absurdly, embarrassingly bad. And of course I've always been better at some tracks than others in these games (always, always awful at Australia and I've never really been able to figure out why), so at some point I was just resigned to suffering through until the next race, but the trial only gives you the first race.

What gives?
Australia is a tough one to get right. Turn 1 sets me up for the whole lap - you have to nail it perfectly to carry a ton of speed through that first complex. But there are other turns at that track where you can lose time. Even playing with a wheel, as I practiced, practiced, practiced at Australia, I was shavings seconds off my lap times. Also, not sure if you are playing on console or PC, and if Codies has implemented the same AI levels on all platforms, but early complaints about F1 2016 settled around the difficulty levels. Hard may be, well, too hard. It's not forgiving in terms of the strength of the AI.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zep:

Sorry you're having troubles with F1 2016, you filthy, old animal. I recommend you use the "In Corners" driving line for a while. It's one of the more accurate braking-and-acceleration cues of any driving game I've played and will help you get a feel for the driving model more quickly.

I race on Hard skill level, but I also use medium traction control and low ABS. That provides a perfect balance of challenge and control for me. I'm not ashamed to say I need some assists with this game to make it fun, and that's what this wacky hobby of ours is all about.

Good luck!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

It's crazy how blind the left hand corner is at COTA after going up the huge hill after the start finish line. I just can NOT get that turn down. I can't believe it's that hard in real life.