OT: Racing 2016 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Racing 2016 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by pk500 »

The most shocking racing retirement since one C. Stoner packed it in from MotoGP at age 27.

It will be interesting how Mercedes moves from here. Do they go for a supernova like Alonso or Verstappen? That would almost assure Merc's reign over the Constructors' championship would continue. But it potentially would create even more fireworks than the Hamilton-Rosberg pairing.

Captain Morgan and Lewis had a frosty relationship, at best, in their one year together at McLaren. Verstappen has clearly shown in his first two seasons that he doesn't give two f*cks about what anyone says or thinks about him.

Or will Merc take the safe route and hire a lap dog like Wehrlein? That will be better for team harmony and Lewis, but would it be enough to keep the team atop the Constructors' standings?

Plus Wehrlein may not be as pliable as some think. I have read and heard from various sources that he is not popular in the paddock due to a severely overinflated opinion of his worth and talent.

Fun days ahead.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

XXXIV wrote:Is Alonso available?...That would be fun.
My "prediction".....Vettel will try and get a release from Ferrari and join Merc.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:It will be interesting how Mercedes moves from here. Do they go for a supernova like Alonso or Verstappen?.
No way will Verstappen leave the Red Bull stable unless Merc is willing to pay a record breaking transfer fee for the kid. I say watch for Vettel to partner Lewis.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:It will be interesting how Mercedes moves from here. Do they go for a supernova like Alonso or Verstappen?.
No way will Verstappen leave the Red Bull stable unless Merc is willing to pay a record breaking transfer fee for the kid. I say watch for Vettel to partner Lewis.
Do you think Ferrari wants to lose Vettel?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

My money's on Bottas. Williams is a Mercedes-powered team and Toto Wolff is his agent. No way Ferrari lets Vettel out for any sum. If Hulk hadn't already signed with Renault I'd have thought he would be the choice, seeing as Force India also has Mercedes power. I bet he is kicking himself now, but who would ever have seen this happening?

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Zeppo wrote:My money's on Bottas. Williams is a Mercedes-powered team and Toto Wolff is his agent. No way Ferrari lets Vettel out for any sum. If Hulk hadn't already signed with Renault I'd have thought he would be the choice, seeing as Force India also has Mercedes power. I bet he is kicking himself now, but who would ever have seen this happening?
This seems to be a popular opinion. That could be a huge blow to Williams considering Stroll's placement in the second seat, would Jenson give up his sabbatical for a Williams ride?
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
Do you think Ferrari wants to lose Vettel?
I don't know but something leads me to believe the honeymoon is over with both sides. Ferrari expected more from Vettel and Vettel expected more from them especially after his 3 win season last year. This year was Ferrari letting down Vettel with several wins he could have had if not for bad strategy calls. Then Vettel took it upon himself to second guess their strategy starting in Baku.

Then he publicly made it known he wanted a contract extension from Ferrari shortly after Monaco. Then Ferrari said their are no guaranteed contracts at Ferarri, you have to earn it, effectively shooting him down.

And Vettel is known to be a sharp cookie when it comes to contracts which is how he got out of his Red Bull contract with a performance clause. Is it possible he did the same thing to Ferrari? I wouldn't doubt that. If he didn't he could quickly use the vacancy at Mercedes as a bargaining chip to get his Ferrari contract extension with higher pay or he could pull an Alonso and approach Sergio Marchionne and ask to be let out of his contract.

And this my friend is what keeps me glued to Formula One even though the racing product is pretty shitty. Love the drama !

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I'd like to see Alonso in a good car again.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zeppo wrote:My money's on Bottas. Williams is a Mercedes-powered team and Toto Wolff is his agent. No way Ferrari lets Vettel out for any sum. If Hulk hadn't already signed with Renault I'd have thought he would be the choice, seeing as Force India also has Mercedes power. I bet he is kicking himself now, but who would ever have seen this happening?
All good points. I know Sir Frank and Claire would like to build around Bottas, who is talented. But Williams sadly has fallen into the growing group of F1 teams that put revenue atop their needs list and will grab quick cash in any way it can.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:I'd like to see Alonso in a good car again.
I strongly doubt Mercedes will hire Captain Morgan. He and Lewis did not get along in their one year together at McLaren, so the potential fireworks would make the friction between Lewis and Rosberg this season look like a damn child's sparkler.

Hulkenberg might be the saddest man on Earth today. He would have been the easiest hire ever for Merc. Solid pair of hands, no drama, happy to be a strong No. 2 to Lewis, gets along with everyone and German. He would have been to Hamilton what Coulthard was to Hakkinen at McLaren - a guy fast enough to keep Hamilton honest but not quick enough to truly threaten him.

The press conference to announce Hulkenberg's signing could have happened as early as next week. I feel for the guy.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I don't know the politics but can't hulk back out?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:I'd like to see Alonso in a good car again.
I strongly doubt Mercedes will hire Captain Morgan. He and Lewis did not get along in their one year together at McLaren, so the potential fireworks would make the friction between Lewis and Rosberg this season look like a damn child's sparkler.

Hulkenberg might be the saddest man on Earth today. He would have been the easiest hire ever for Merc. Solid pair of hands, no drama, happy to be a strong No. 2 to Lewis, gets along with everyone and German. He would have been to Hamilton what Coulthard was to Hakkinen at McLaren - a guy fast enough to keep Hamilton honest but not quick enough to truly threaten him.

The press conference to announce Hulkenberg's signing could have happened as early as next week. I feel for the guy.
I can't see Merc taking a chance with The Captain. He's still too volatile, look no further than last years radio calls and especially at Suzuka where he called the Honda engine a GP2 equivalent while the Honda brass were in attendance listening to that.

I'll disagree with Hamilton being the defacto Number #1. Not after his insubordination at Abu Dhabi and his rumored threat to quit the team in 2016. My feeling is Merc might be willing to find another Number 1 and let the best man win. Sort of payback to Hamilton even if that means taking on Vettel or paying Red Bull a ransom for Mad Max.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I think they've been spying on Terry in his Occulus Rift and will hire him to drive the second Merc "virtually"...........
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

EffDee
Mario Mendoza

Post by EffDee »

Putting aside contracts, I think either Hulkenberg or Perez would make good number twos for Hamilton. Two other names I think would make good teammates would be Bottas and Grosjean.

I can't imagine Alonso being the right person to pair with Hamilton personality-wise. McLaren must feel much more like a comfortable home to Alonso anyway.

I also can't imagine Mercedes pairing the personality of Vettel with the personality of Hamilton unless they were preparing to favour Vettel and ditch Hamilton afterward.

Rosberg continues to surprise me in positive ways. In a sport filled with hypercompetitive alpha males, it's nice to see someone say it's not worth the sacrifices to stay champion.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Renault and Mercedes are friendly with each other so if there's a will, Hulk could still happen. I'm not sure Renault have much incentive to leave themselves with Jolyon Palmer and A.N Other this late in the day, though, as much as I still rate Jolyon.

There is, of course, a third way. What if you wanted to let things settle for a year to see how Ocon and Wehrlein (about whom I've heard the same things as PK) develop, then either snag one for 2018 or go after an established hot shoe, say Bottas, without being held to ransom? If you had someone already on your books with recent-ish F1 experience, someone who'd already shown well against The Hulk in equal cars, could they hold the fort for a year? If you were currently Paul di Resta's agent, you'd have put a call in by now, just in case.

Not saying they will, or even that they should. It's the path of least resistance, though, and it would buy a bit of time to get 2018 absolutely nailed down.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Wait, why is no one mentioning Pastor Maldonado?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:Wait, why is no one mentioning Pastor Maldonado?
Because his Chavez petrodollars have dried up.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

pk500 wrote:
Because his Chavez petrodollars have dried up.
;) Nico retiring is quite a surprise. I actually quite enjoyed this F1 season as a whole. Will miss Massa and Button. Hard to believe I am old enough to have seen so many F1 racing careers start and then complete.

EffDee
Mario Mendoza

Post by EffDee »

Haha.

Don't forget our friend Piquet Jr.?

While we're thinking like this, how about Brad Keselowski in a Haas? Imagine the U.S. flag and burnouts in F1.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Paul Ricard returns in 2018.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Paul Ricard returns in 2018.
Yawn. It would have been nice if the circuit was the old Paul Ricard. Now it's just another modern F1 track with oceans of asphalt runoff.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It's been confirmed that Paul Ricard will use the 5.8km configuration.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

If the Paddy Lowe rumors are true, at least it looks like Papa Stroll's money is going to good use at Williams.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:If the Paddy Lowe rumors are true, at least it looks like Papa Stroll's money is going to good use at Williams.
I don't like the path Williams is following. The team is in quite a dilemma, as it needs cash now. But it's also aligning itself to the billionaire father of a kid who isn't that good.

So while Lawrence Stroll may provide short-term financial relief, his kid won't help the team climb the Constructors standings and earn more money. And once Williams realizes that and releases Lance after a couple of years, then where will it find its money? Who is its next sugar daddy? How then will the team pay the large salary demands of Paddy Lowe, who reportedly is leaving cash-flush Mercedes because it won't satisfy his salary requirements?

Very sad to see Williams devolve into just another pay driver team.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The F1 media is tipping Bottas as Hamilton's teammate. If true, bravo to him, he's young and one helluva driver. He deserves a shot in a top car to see if he can deliver the goods. I love Finnish drivers with Kimi and Mika at the top of my list.