OT: Racing 2016 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Racing 2016 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by Rodster »

Congrats to Nico, he earned it !

Lewis did everything he could to get the Red Bulls or Ferrari's between him and Nico. Alas, FINALLY this garbage Formula 1 season is over. I'm sure Crofty and his ilk will be telling us what a cracker this Formula 1 season has been. Far from it, it's been a joke and it's partly the same reason, venues are giving the middle finger to Formula 1.

First it was Sepang, then Singapore and now Germany who just crowned it's newest F1 Champ.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Girlfriend was not happy as she gave Nico the finger after the race.

I was lmao.

And vettel let off when be got to his fellow German...race to the end ass!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Lewis did what he had to do and did it really well, he just ran away from Rosberg whenever they got anywhere near an overtaking area. His stand-off on the radio with the team was the most entertaining part of the race.

What the hell was Red Bull thinking with Ricciardo's strategy? He could have made things very interesting with a one-stop race.

I don't like Yas Marina in general, but really can't stand the third sector.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Dave wrote: His stand-off on the radio with the team was the most entertaining part of the race.

Yes. I loved when he said Im comfortable.

Seb race to the end!

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Dave wrote:Lewis did what he had to do and did it really well, he just ran away from Rosberg whenever they got anywhere near an overtaking area. His stand-off on the radio with the team was the most entertaining part of the race.
I disagree. I like Lewis, but he drove like a complete tool today. Trying to win a championship with tactics like that rather than just put your head down and drive your best should not be applauded. Lewis did not drive like a defending champion but a petulant little f$ckwad.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

F308GTB wrote:
Dave wrote:Lewis did what he had to do and did it really well, he just ran away from Rosberg whenever they got anywhere near an overtaking area. His stand-off on the radio with the team was the most entertaining part of the race.
I disagree. I like Lewis, but he drove like a complete tool today. Trying to win a championship with tactics like that rather than just put your head down and drive your best should not be applauded. Lewis did not drive like a defending champion but a petulant little f$ckwad.
yeah but I dont like Nico and was wiling to over look it.

EffDee
Mario Mendoza

Post by EffDee »

I'm glad Lewis drove the way he did. It put Nico under incredible pressure and he delivered. I think Rosberg's performance today underlined why he ultimately deserved the championship. It also highlighted Lewis's skill. I suspect it was a very difficult task, controlling the pace that way.

In the bigger picture, I think throughout his life Hamilton has felt like it was him versus the world. I'm sure that played into his mindset today. Additionally, we've got to see Rosberg evolve in so many ways throughout his career. I bet if Alonso, Vettel, Verstappen, or Hamilton were in Rosberg's place, they would have lit up the radio with expletives. Instead, Rosberg kept his focus and, like Hamilton, drove an amazingly controlled pace. He didn't appear to panic at any time and never made any dumb lunges at Hamilton. As someone who's always thought Rosberg lacked good racing judgement, today helped to change my mind quite a bit.

EffDee
Mario Mendoza

Post by EffDee »

F308GTB wrote:
I wonder how you would have reacted to the way Schumacher drove in Malaysia in 1999? :)

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

EffDee wrote:
F308GTB wrote:
I wonder how you would have reacted to the way Schumacher drove in Malaysia in 1999? :)
Team orders always suck.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

EffDee wrote:I'm glad Lewis drove the way he did. It put Nico under incredible pressure and he delivered. I think Rosberg's performance today underlined why he ultimately deserved the championship. It also highlighted Lewis's skill. I suspect it was a very difficult task, controlling the pace that way.

In the bigger picture, I think throughout his life Hamilton has felt like it was him versus the world. I'm sure that played into his mindset today. Additionally, we've got to see Rosberg evolve in so many ways throughout his career. I bet if Alonso, Vettel, Verstappen, or Hamilton were in Rosberg's place, they would have lit up the radio with expletives. Instead, Rosberg kept his focus and, like Hamilton, drove an amazingly controlled pace. He didn't appear to panic at any time and never made any dumb lunges at Hamilton. As someone who's always thought Rosberg lacked good racing judgement, today helped to change my mind quite a bit.
Totally agree 100%

Lewis had every right to use any tactics to win the title and Nico stayed composed throughout the race. Nico grew this year as a driver. Flashback to 2007 and Lewis Hamilton was in a similar situation leading the championship heading to the final race in Brazil. He lost the race on the 1st lap trying to beat Alonso into the 1st corner, which he didn't need to. It changed his race and allowed Kimi to win the championship.

Nico could have easily buckled under the pressure of Lewis slowing things down but Nico stayed composed and knew all he needed was to come in 3rd.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

My biggest problem was Vettell.

He stopped racing when he got to Rosberg. That German s***.

Race the entire race and we may have had a different champion.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

XXXIV wrote:My biggest problem was Vettell.

He stopped racing when he got to Rosberg. That German s***.

Race the entire race and we may have had a different champion.
He explained what happened. He couldn't do anything because Lewis was backing up the field and his tires were taking beating from the close racing.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/181 ... rty-tricks

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Bullshit.

He closed an incredible gap in and incredible short amount of time!!!

Anyone watching saw it...It was NOT right!

RACE TO THE f***in FINISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/11 ... pective-2/

Joe Saward's thoughts on the two Mercedes drivers mirror mine and he says it better.

Re: Vettel, he was only ever close enough to have a proper go once and his stated reasons for that make some sense. Of course, when the leader's last lap is 5 seconds off the pace and you've been the fastest car in the lead group for a good 20 minutes, people are bound to wonder whether you couldn't have done a tiny bit more.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

XXXIV wrote:Bullshit.

He closed an incredible gap in and incredible short amount of time!!!

Anyone watching saw it...It was NOT right!

RACE TO THE f***in FINISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You don't understand that whether Vettel was in front or behind Rosberg, the result stayed the same. Nico was World Champ regardless. You also don't seem to understand that both Merc cars were toying with everyone else. They could pull away from the field whenever they wanted too, including Vettel and when you have F1 cars close together you kill the tires because of the "HEAT" from the exhaust so you lose grip. And that incredible gap that Vettel closed was due to Hamilton slowing things down and backing up the field, so it was all artificial.

And with the shitty season Vettel has had, I seriously doubt he would want to be remembered for affecting the championship by hitting either Merc, especially after he got Kvyat demoted from Red Bull for his repeated clashes with Vettel. There is little love lost between drivers, even if they're both German.

So take Vettel at his word when he said both Mercs were pulling away down the long straights and there was little anyone including Vettel, Verstappen or Riccardio could do.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

It's funny: We're spending an awful lot of time here dissecting a race in a series most of us say sucks. Does it really suck? I don't think so ...

Lewis did EXACTLY what he had to do. I don't fault him for the tactics at all. But I do fault him for defying Paddy Lowe's orders. He is a contracted employee of Mercedes and must follow instructions from the pit wall. That was the only petulant act of the day by LH, in my opinion.

Fun race on a sh*tty circuit.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:It's funny: We're spending an awful lot of time here dissecting a race in a series most of us say sucks. Does it really suck? I don't think so ...

Lewis did EXACTLY what he had to do. I don't fault him for the tactics at all. But I do fault him for defying Paddy Lowe's orders. He is a contracted employee of Mercedes and must follow instructions from the pit wall. That was the only petulant act of the day by LH, in my opinion.

Fun race on a sh*tty circuit.
As Christian Horner summed it up: Mercedes was “naive” to think Lewis Hamilton would not try and back team-mate Nico Rosberg into the chasing pack in Abu Dhabi. It was naïve to think that there would be any different approach to this race with what is at stake.”

“Lewis, winning the race was never going to be enough for him. He drove a tactical race and he didn’t do anything dirty, he didn’t do anything against the rules. It would be unfair to criticise Lewis for the way that he drove. It was obvious coming into the weekend that was his only chance of achieving the result that he wanted. It would be unfair to criticise him.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with Horner and regardless of what Paddy Lowe and Toto Wolff's orders were, they knew there was a HIGH probability that Lewis would use those tactics. In fact they were prepared to undercut Lewis if he did that early in the race. Instead he waited until the final pitstop so he could do as he pleased. I don't fault him for what he did and when you have a triple and reigning world champion down 12 pts you can expect anything with that being his only option. So Mercedes already knew Lewis was going to do what he had to. What frustrated them was the timing, when Lewis decided to slow things down late in the race.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bottom line: If Rosberg thought Hamilton was too slow, he could have passed him. Just like he did to Verstappen.

Christian Horner, meet the black kettle. There is NO way in hell Horner would have allowed those tactics to be used if the team's driver title scenario was the same as Mercedes. Have we forgotten the famous "Multi 21" incident between Webber and Vettel?

Ron Dennis let his drivers race. Frank Williams lets his drivers race. Toto Wolff lets his drivers race. Horner stage-manages everything, just like Jean Todt during his Ferrari reign.

Horner is a King Hypocrite amid a royal court full of them.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I understood perfectly well that third would have gotten Nico the title.

I wanted to see the pressure increase and see what Rosberg would do under it with vettel trying to pass him.

Thanks though.

PK it doesnt suck its just not great like it should be.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Bottom line: If Rosberg thought Hamilton was too slow, he could have passed him. Just like he did to Verstappen.
Allow Rosberg to answer your question and the answer was an emphatic NO. He couldn't get around Lewis because of his skill and his cars performance. He discussed his passing move on Mad Max but keep in mind you have a Merc attempting a pass on a Tag engine.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/181 ... -perfectly

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:Bottom line: If Rosberg thought Hamilton was too slow, he could have passed him. Just like he did to Verstappen.
Allow Rosberg to answer your question and the answer was an emphatic NO. He couldn't get around Lewis because of his skill and his cars performance. He discussed his passing move on Mad Max but keep in mind you have a Merc attempting a pass on a Tag engine.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/181 ... -perfectly
Which is exactly why I think Rosberg is a lesser driver than Hamilton. Lewis would have tried to pass if he thought it was needed. Same with other true current greats like Alonso or Vettel.

Nico Rosberg is a worthy World Champion. He gathered the most points of any driver. But I'll look back at his title the same way I did Button's championship in 2009. A smart, tactical season in which a veteran driver made the most of a superior car. The Mercedes carried Nico to the title, not the other way around.

Yeah, I know one of the two drivers in the best car usually wins the World Championship. But I don't think this season will be recalled as the start of a golden era of Rosberg dominance. We shall see.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

If I was a billionaire owner with the best car, my top pick for driver 1 would be verstappen. He is going to win 4 or 5 championships if he gets a top team from here on out. The only thing that can stop him is am inferior car. If he w as with Mercedes all year, I think he could have been world champ. I'd take him over Hamilton. Red Bull is nice but not fast enough. He's the next Schumacher I think.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:If I was a billionaire owner with the best car, my top pick for driver 1 would be verstappen. He is going to win 4 or 5 championships if he gets a top team from here on out. The only thing that can stop him is am inferior car. If he w as with Mercedes all year, I think he could have been world champ. I'd take him over Hamilton. Red Bull is nice but not fast enough. He's the next Schumacher I think.
Alonso is still the best driver on the grid. He took the McLaren places it had no right to be this season.

Hamilton is a great driver who has made very shrewd career decisions, resulting in three world titles. Alonso has made very poor decisions, such as leaving McLaren after his first stint and his timing to leave for Ferrari and to return to McLaren. Captain Morgan would wipe the floor with everyone if he was in a Mercedes, IMO.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Well, Nico retiring came out of left field. Holy smokes! So who will get that coveted ride?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Is Alonso available?...That would be fun.