OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:I was just watching it while it charged for the last week or so and it was no big deal. I would have just held out for a week and done a direct exchange, but I'm headed to Mexico next week and I didn't want to travel with a possibly combustible phone.
And now this:

http://phandroid.com/2016/09/10/samsung ... activated/

Might as well just swap it now for a GS7 proper (F the Edge)...and wait till the fixed N7s come in.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Um, if they have a remote deactivation switch, that would be interesting.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Um, if they have a remote deactivation switch, that would be interesting.
The carriers know every single N7 that's out there based on the IMEI number...so it's not that difficult.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

If I can't do a straight exchange by the end of this week I will go for the temp replacement.

Man oh man do I feel bad for Samsung though. At the end of the stay they'll be just fine but this phone was truly starting to be the iPhone killer. I went to my local AT&T store yesterday and the guy said they have a box of probably 200 or so returns and that most of those people went and pre ordered the new iPhone. Yikes.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I'm not saying they can't do it technically.

It would be a bad look for any company to brick any product that customers have paid a lot of money for, regardless of the reason.

They could probably put in a remote kill switch for cars too and if people aren't bringing in their cars for a safety recall, if a car maker killed cars, people would be pissed.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

The note is a solid phone. I am actually a huge fan of the s7 edge especially. If price is no concern, it would be my #2 phone behind the note. Samsung is a legendary company with a huge market share. They will bounce back. Had this happened to my OnePlus, it could easily kill a smaller start up company.

No one will remember the exploding battery issue next year when the next batch of phones come out. Samsung will continue to have the best screen, best build quality and largest amount of loyal fans for any Android device. Big deal right now, but it won't affect them as much as a small company. If they want to win back customers and sell me a note 7 for $550 I'd jump all over it and never look back.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I keep getting the s3amazon popup on my oneplus3. I've never gone to any shady site on it or downloaded anything I shouldnt. Can anyone suggest a decent adblock? Sounds like it's adware but nothing serious. My galaxy as well as my wife's also have it.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Returned my Note 7 for good. Even though replacements were available - I decided to go with the Nexus 6P. After the sheer beauty of the Note 7 wore off, I was left with a great phone that just didn't quite handle my day to day use like I had hoped. I realized I was trying to make it more and more like a stock android/pure google phone and it was just making it lag in weird ways.

Decided to try the 6P and I'm really glad I did. I'm in pure Android heaven. And I am REALLY surprised at how premium it feels from a build standpoint. And the display, while not a bright as the Note 7, is more accurate (better whites) and just as sharp.

I ordered the 6P from Amazon to try it out for 30 days knowing full well the Pixel announcement is coming on 10/4. I know I am sold on pure Android so it will either be keep the Nexus 6P (or "exchange" one for a reduced price based on the new announcements) or go for a Pixel XL if it wows me enough.

So far the leaks for the Pixel phones, if correct, leave much to be desired from an aesthetic standpoint...

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:Returned my Note 7 for good. Even though replacements were available - I decided to go with the Nexus 6P. After the sheer beauty of the Note 7 wore off, I was left with a great phone that just didn't quite handle my day to day use like I had hoped. I realized I was trying to make it more and more like a stock android/pure google phone and it was just making it lag in weird ways.

Decided to try the 6P and I'm really glad I did. I'm in pure Android heaven. And I am REALLY surprised at how premium it feels from a build standpoint. And the display, while not a bright as the Note 7, is more accurate (better whites) and just as sharp.

I ordered the 6P from Amazon to try it out for 30 days knowing full well the Pixel announcement is coming on 10/4. I know I am sold on pure Android so it will either be keep the Nexus 6P (or "exchange" one for a reduced price based on the new announcements) or go for a Pixel XL if it wows me enough.

So far the leaks for the Pixel phones, if correct, leave much to be desired from an aesthetic standpoint...
LOL, ridiculous.

And yes, the Pixel is horrific looking. I'm very leery of it...especially since hardware hasn't changed much since the 6P...usually there is a bigger jump, but not this time. Pretty sure you'll end up sticking with the 6P. Fantastic phone. I just wish it was a touch smaller. The 5X is a better size IMO, but it's cheapy plastic...the 6P is a much more premium device (and it should be given the price jump).

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Spooky wrote:Returned my Note 7 for good. Even though replacements were available - I decided to go with the Nexus 6P. After the sheer beauty of the Note 7 wore off, I was left with a great phone that just didn't quite handle my day to day use like I had hoped. I realized I was trying to make it more and more like a stock android/pure google phone and it was just making it lag in weird ways.

LOL, ridiculous.

And yes, the Pixel is horrific looking. I'm very leery of it...especially since hardware hasn't changed much since the 6P...usually there is a bigger jump, but not this time. Pretty sure you'll end up sticking with the 6P. Fantastic phone. I just wish it was a touch smaller. The 5X is a better size IMO, but it's cheapy plastic...the 6P is a much more premium device (and it should be given the price jump).
So in your expert opinion/experience, those Pixel leaks are probably legit? I am just hoping somehow that they are not and we'll end up seeing something much more refined. And overall, I am leery of HTC hardware in general.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:So in your expert opinion/experience, those Pixel leaks are probably legit? I am just hoping somehow that they are not and we'll end up seeing something much more refined. And overall, I am leery of HTC hardware in general.
You didn't see the new Nest commercial that essentially outted the phone? Looks exactly the same as the leaks...in all it's ugly glory.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/19 ... gle-pixel/

The same thing happened a few years ago w/ the original LG Nexus 5...some guy was outside of the Google campus taking a picture of the statues, and outted the phone accidentally. LOL.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I still enjoy de 6P after almost a year.

Now I must say that the OTAs from Google to Nexus phones have gotten ridiculously slow.

Just last night I got the September 6 Security patch but more importantly I STILL haven't gotten Nougat 7.0.

This BS didn't happen when I had the Nexus 4.

Edit,

OK just checked my 6p and have the Android 7 ota ready for download. But still, Nougat released almost a month ago.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:I still enjoy de 6P after almost a year.

Now I must say that the OTAs from Google to Nexus phones have gotten ridiculously slow.

Just last night I got the September 6 Security patch but more importantly I STILL haven't gotten Nougat 7.0.

This BS didn't happen when I had the Nexus 4.

Edit,

OK just checked my 6p and have the Android 7 ota ready for download. But still, Nougat released almost a month ago.
Sideload is your friend. Minute they are released they are available to put on your phone. Waiting for the OTA is always a crap shoot based on bandwidth and slow distribution cycles so if there's an issue it doesn't take down every single 6P.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Anyone looking for a phone should consider the one plus 3. Db put me onto it and I'm completely satisfied.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Amazon is having a 48 hour unlocked phone sale is anyone is interested. Unsure if these are good prices or not.

https://www.amazon.com/cell-phones-serv ... Bb%7Cdeals

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Samsung has pulled the plug on the note 7. A couple people I know have them, and it's a shame. The note 7 has got to be the best phone ever made, in my not so knowledgeable opinion. The only downside was the absurd pricing. From what I read, none of the 7 that blew up were on T-Mobile, so both the people I know are continuing to use theirs.

Samsung is right up there with apple in terms of dominant phone manufacturers, so this shouldn't be a death sentence. Had it happened to a smaller company, it would be way worse.

Db and others, what do you think of the pixel phone? I think it sounds like a pretty solid phone, but the price for the xl especially is ridiculous. For that price id rather have an iPhone 7 plus, a note 7 or either of the galaxy s7. Its foo bad they are doing away with Nexus, since the 6p is a great phone at a bargain price.

One final thing. What options do I have for external battery for my one plus 3? They unfortunately don't make a battery case for it, and I doubt they ever will due to it being a sort of niche phone. Dash charging is great, but I don't always have access to an outlet. Any good recommendations that won't break the bank?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

As I've said several times, it's the best phone I've ever used. A real shame about the fires...

Plotting my next move. I'll probably cross my fingers and wait for the Pixel XL, bc going back to the S7 Edge is not appealing.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Already have my Pixel on order (standard model, 32gb)...so we'll see on 10/20 or close to it. It'll replace my unlocked S7 (that'll prob go to my wife to replace her S6).

We'll see soon enough. Phone looks fantastic.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Already have my Pixel on order (standard model, 32gb)...so we'll see on 10/20 or close to it. It'll replace my unlocked S7 (that'll prob go to my wife to replace her S6).

Fingers crossed. There's a non-economic factor here, which is that even if the Pixel is comparable, it's got to replace a device that I really, really love. Again, except for that whole threat of combustion wrinkle.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Pixel XL on order here. Will be returning my 6P for it when it arrives. Love my 6p though.

Hardware design-wise the Note 7 was unbeatable. But i already was over the software on it. I was getting pretty annoying noticeable lag within a week or two. Pure Android just can't be beat IMO.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

You guys are all rich..... the Pixel XL is damn expensive!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Gangrel wrote:You guys are all rich..... the Pixel XL is damn expensive!
Some of us are getting refunds on the N7 :oops:

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Already have my Pixel on order (standard model, 32gb)...so we'll see on 10/20 or close to it. It'll replace my unlocked S7 (that'll prob go to my wife to replace her S6).

Scott, how big is the standard Pixel? I am thinking about returning to Android and the Pixel has me intrigued.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

grtwhtsk wrote:

Scott, how big is the standard Pixel? I am thinking about returning to Android and the Pixel has me intrigued.
Basically the same size as a Galaxy S6 or S7...quite a bit smaller than the XL which is more in line w/ the Nexus 6P/Note 7/iPhone 7 Plus...tho it is smaller than all three of those.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I'm envious of the pixel xl. The price is extremely high, but from all accounts it should be awesome if you don't mind the looks. I think it looks nice, but it's getting a lot of hate.

One thing I read was Google is going to start making features only available on the pixel, and they won't carry over to the other androids. Not sure what those are, but Google has some big plans. I wonder why they cancelled the Nexus line to create pixel. A nexus 7p could be the exact same phone, with an already established name and following. Many nexus fans are migrating to the pixel, but your average person with a nexus might not even realize what a pixel is. At the price they are asking, it's a pretty big step up from the Nexus so maybe they're trying to go "premium" as damn near every phone review talks about how phones have premium feel or looks. If money was no option I'd go pixel xl, followed by s7 and then iPhone 7 plus. I'm an Android guy, but if iPhone 8 is as revolutionary as people are expecting, I may jump ship.