OT: Racing 2016 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Racing 2016 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:No doubt, I guess I just assumed he would have at least been competent with how well he can feel what a car is doing. Looks like he always has fun, though. Its crazy how many racers we have in America, but that almost never translates to success in global racing like f1, moto gp or wrc. A lot of Americans don't have the ability to get into a series of motorsport unless one of their own is succeeding in it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Nicky Hayden the last American to win a championship in a racing discipline that spans the globe? If America produced a top rally or f1 driver, that would be nice. Shocking it's such a rarity.
Last Americans to win global championships:

2009: Ben Spies, World Superbike
2006: Nicky Hayden, MotoGP
1981: Bob Garretson, World Sportscar Championship
1978: Mario Andretti, Formula One

Knew those by heart except for Garretson! Sorry if I sound like Trump, but I always put an asterisk next to Mario because he was born in Italy.

Americans won more 500cc/MotoGP world titles than riders from any other country -- by a mile -- from 1979-2006. The Italians and Spaniards couldn't touch Roberts (Kenny and Kenny Jr.), Rainey, Lawson, Schwantz and Hayden. Only the Aussies were close, with Mick Doohan and Wayne Gardner.

As for Block, how many Gymkhana videos take place on surfaces other than asphalt? I rest my case. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

That's crazy to see. All the people in this country who have racing talent, but just doesn't translate. I remember 10-15 years ago hearing Jeff Gordon possibly could have succeeded in f1. I think this was even before he did that little car swap thing at Indy.

I'm a racing fan so I don't care what nationality someone is, but a huge amount of Americans just can't cheer for a Norwegianin wrc or a German in f1. With all the money in this country I'm shocked America doesn't even have an f1 or wrc driver. Scandinavians tend to dominate rally, but f1 should be anyone's game. If mschumacher had been American, I think f1 would have exploded in popularity.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:That's crazy to see. All the people in this country who have racing talent, but just doesn't translate. I remember 10-15 years ago hearing Jeff Gordon possibly could have succeeded in f1. I think this was even before he did that little car swap thing at Indy.

I'm a racing fan so I don't care what nationality someone is, but a huge amount of Americans just can't cheer for a Norwegianin wrc or a German in f1. With all the money in this country I'm shocked America doesn't even have an f1 or wrc driver. Scandinavians tend to dominate rally, but f1 should be anyone's game. If mschumacher had been American, I think f1 would have exploded in popularity.
There's no reason for a top American driver to go to Europe other than to test himself against the best. From the start to the back of the grid, NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers are paid better than those in any series in the world.

Sure, top F1 drivers make more than top Cup guys. But there are a lot of guys in F1 who still must bring money to teams and draw a paycheck of less than seven or eight figures. Nearly all of the 40 drivers on the Cup grid get paid, and even schmoes are making mid-six figures.

Hell, half of the IndyCar grid doesn't get paid and must bring money. Sports car racing provides far more paid rides in the United States than IndyCar, the dirty little secret that no one in the IndyCar paddock wants to admit.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I don't recall exactly when Lewis Hamilton became the man who fell into a box of tits and came out sucking his thumb, but I imagine that when he next peels a banana, he'll find it's empty.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

EffDee
Mario Mendoza

Post by EffDee »

Hey guys, it's the old Smurfy here :D

Absolutely heartbreaking result for Hamilton.

Does Kimi have a "Kick me" sign on his rear wing?

I wonder what special tricks Honda will use to make them look good in Suzuka?

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Smurfy! Good to see you around these parts again, mate.

Honda's "Suzuka Special" is, as far as I know, the engine Alonso practiced with in Malaysia. Got the penalties out of the way in advance, you see. Button hasn't ran it and I would assume he's not going to, at least not yet. It makes sense to give the one good engine to the superstar who's in the car next year, but JB isn't driving like a man with nothing left to give, is he?

On Kimi, I wish I could tell whether he's getting better relative to Vettel or whether Vettel's getting worse. I suspect it's a bit of both, driven in no small part by Seb's apparent frustration at Ferrari's lack of progress creeping into his driving. None of that changes the bullseye painted on his car, which is clearly present but which I'm not sure Nico Rosberg really hit, at least not in a way that warranted a penalty.

I've always thought Damon Hill had a decent book in him. The one he's now written, Watching The Wheels, is rather more than that. This review says as much as I could and does it better than I would, so I'll send you there rather than wittering on any further: http://speedreaders.info/17565-watching ... biography/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Ferrari must be a terrible place to work right now.

The team is in free fall, with classic Italian blame-shifting and hand-wringing due to the intense pressure from the suits at the top. The loss of James Allison was the final straw for the Scuderia.

Captain Morgan must look at the Ferrari garage and chuckle. McLaren may be struggling, but I'm guessing it is a more pleasant place to work and has a much clearer plan for improvement than Ferrari.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

More than that, they've been improving continuously for the last 18 months. Ferrari's starting point was higher but you'd struggle to argue they've gone anywhere positive since. If Marchionne knows how to rectify that, he's doing a strong job of hiding it.

PK, what do you make of Motorsport Network acquiring Haymarket's racing portfolio? I'm assuming the only real money would come from LAT and the Autosport International show? It doesn't feel like great news for the racing fan but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong on that.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:PK, what do you make of Motorsport Network acquiring Haymarket's racing portfolio? I'm assuming the only real money would come from LAT and the Autosport International show? It doesn't feel like great news for the racing fan but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong on that.
Equal amounts of intrigue and fear.

Intriguing because motorsport.com has purchased major motorsports publications and websites all over the world in the last 12 months. The company must be living large on venture capital, but that's not a bottomless pit. And I don't know the business plan, but if it relies on volume of clicks and ad views, this motorsports media empire could be sitting atop a very large bubble.

I've also heard motorsport.com is moving into broadcasting. That would make sense, succeeding SPEED in the U.S. and other motorsports-only networks around the globe as the TV landscape becomes even more fragmented by niche networks. I'm assuming any motorsport.com TV network would have deals with over-the-top providers, as that's where TV is headed due to cord-cutters, cable and satellite's refusal to adopt any sort of a la carte model, etc.

Fear because motorsport.com is not known for its editorial quality. It was nothing but a press release farm and a strip miner of other sites' copy before this buying binge began. The quality has improved quite a bit with hires such as former Autosport guys Jonny Noble, Charles Bradley and David Malsher, and former Charlotte Observer NASCAR beat writer Jim Utter.

But I just don't think motorsport.com ever will have the editorial independence of Autosport or RACER.com since it has forged so many business deals with series, manufacturers and more with this new influx of cash. Coverage in motorsport outlets around the world, especially for lesser and ladder series, is becoming a game of "pay to play" as staffs and budgets continue to get slashed.

Chilling.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Ferrari must be a terrible place to work right now.

The team is in free fall, with classic Italian blame-shifting and hand-wringing due to the intense pressure from the suits at the top. The loss of James Allison was the final straw for the Scuderia.

Captain Morgan must look at the Ferrari garage and chuckle. McLaren may be struggling, but I'm guessing it is a more pleasant place to work and has a much clearer plan for improvement than Ferrari.
And if you read the recent hit pieces on Seb, the Italian media is fed up with both the driver and team for lack of results. You all know i'm not a fan of "finger boy" but in this case I have to defend him. He's in the proverbial between a rock and a hard place.

His car can't out qualify Red Bell and Merc but his car has real good race pace and is better at standing starts. So it appears his strategy is to make up places he lost by being aggressive at the 1st corner. His problem right now is that Max Verstappen is usually close by at the 1st turn also trying to aggressively makeup places.

The other problem he has is he has no other place to go. His sparkle of 4 time world champion is wearing off. Merc is locked in with it's drivers and he can't go back to Red Bull. So he's essentially stuck at Ferrari hoping they can turn it around. Good luck with that, which is why Capt Morgan left in the first place.

EffDee
Mario Mendoza

Post by EffDee »

I'm no F1 historian so I'll ask, "Doesn't this all sound just like Ferrari before the Schumacher era?"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

EffDee wrote:I'm no F1 historian so I'll ask, "Doesn't this all sound just like Ferrari before the Schumacher era?"
No, because Vettel is no Schumacher and they lack the cohesion of the triplets: Todt, Brawn and Byrne with a young James Allison as an apprentice.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
EffDee wrote:I'm no F1 historian so I'll ask, "Doesn't this all sound just like Ferrari before the Schumacher era?"
No, because Vettel is no Schumacher and they lack the cohesion of the triplets: Todt, Brawn and Byrne with a young James Allison as an apprentice.
Bingo. And Marchionne is placing much more pressure on the F1 team to succeed NOW despite its apparent problems than Di Montezemolo did during the similar struggles of the early years of the "triplets."

Marchionne is a blame-deflecting prick of the highest order, from what I've read.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

And Arrivbene just issued a warning to finger boy that he needs to drive better or he's gone after his contract is up in 2017. I knew something was fishy because as far back as Canada there were rumors he was pushing for a new contract extension and never got one.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/177 ... rrari-2017

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Surely if we address the specificity of Ferhad's question (which remains absolutely my favourite piece of Ronspeak and will take some dislodging), we'd say that an apparently dysfunctional race team led by a confused upper management and with at least one disenchanted driver is exactly how Ferrari was before the Schumacher era?

Worth considering too that Brawn and Byrne damn near won the championship in 1997 (with a John Barnard design), 1998 and 1999 before Schumacher took his run of 5, while Barnard's 1996 car won 3 races. The Brawn/Byrne/Todt axis had very, very few missteps. Where Ferrari are now, in competitive terms, is probably more akin to where they were in '94 and '95. Where they are politically seems more like the spell shortly before they fired Prost in '91...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

And in case anyone thinks i'm picking on "Finger Boy", here's Martin Brundle's take on the driver and situation.

Sebastian Vettel may not be in F1 for long haul, says Martin Brundle

German will "react badly" to Maurizio Arrivabene's interview, says Brundle; Vettel's current Ferrari deal expires at end of 2017

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24182/ ... in-brundle

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bring Vettel to WEC. Hell, bring all of the disenchanted and aging ones -- Vettel, Alonso, Button -- to Le Mans and WEC. More interesting cars, better racing! :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Bring Vettel to WEC. Hell, bring all of the disenchanted and aging ones -- Vettel, Alonso, Button -- to Le Mans and WEC. More interesting cars, better racing! :)
Agreed, the racing in Formula One has gone from bad to garbage in the last several years. Cars still can't pass each other without aids and even then one Merc has a hard time passing another Merc even with DRS enabled. When engineers tell their drivers they need to lift and coast entering corner entry during a race in order to save fuel; you know those in charge who make the decisions regarding the rules have somehow lost the plot.

The ONLY thing that currently keeps the intrigue of Formula One alive is all the backroom politics between the manufactures and locales they race at.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Marchionne is placing much more pressure on the F1 team to succeed NOW despite its apparent problems than Di Montezemolo did during the similar struggles of the early years of the "triplets."

Marchionne is a blame-deflecting prick of the highest order, from what I've read.
More confirmation on what's really going on at Ferrari and according to this article you can add Arrivabene to the list.

'Climate of terror' instilled at Ferrari

http://en.f1i.com/news/75689-climate-te ... rrari.html

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Hulkster is on his way to Renault. I think he had a better competitive car with Force India but we shall see with the 2017 regulations.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

It's a punt on Renault coming good, isn't it? He's never going to beat the big boys with Force India, who are already punching above their weight, so he needs to be with a factory or in a Red Bull. Mercedes are spoken for, RBR are fully booked and while there might be at least one seat at Maranello soon, the fact that Ferrari didn't sign him after he used their engines at Sauber tells you everything you need to know. Getting in early with the Renault works operation probably isn't going to pay an immediate dividend, I agree, but in the longer term, it might.

It might not, mind. Worth a shot, though.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:It's a punt on Renault coming good, isn't it? He's never going to beat the big boys with Force India, who are already punching above their weight, so he needs to be with a factory or in a Red Bull. Mercedes are spoken for, RBR are fully booked and while there might be at least one seat at Maranello soon, the fact that Ferrari didn't sign him after he used their engines at Sauber tells you everything you need to know. Getting in early with the Renault works operation probably isn't going to pay an immediate dividend, I agree, but in the longer term, it might.

It might not, mind. Worth a shot, though.
This has ZERO to do with with the competitiveness of the car, present or future. This has everything to do with Hulk realizing the window of his career is closing, and he wants to get paid manufacturer money.

Smart strategy. Ride out the fortunes of Renault and collect a fat check for the next three years. Then slip into a Porsche prototype in the WEC for three to five years. Hulk won Le Mans in 2015 in his maiden voyage in a Porsche, and Weissach still adores him for that.

I would love to see Hulk in a Porsche prototype. I've worked with Porsche for the last three years, and it is the most impressive auto manufacturer I've worked with in my professional racing PR career, by far. Such engineering. Such incredible attention to detail. Such results to prove that engineering excellence. And a racer's heart beats within every person in that company.

The F1 world should consider itself grateful that Audi or Porsche haven't entered. They would conquer the sport faster than Mercedes did.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Appreciative though I am of the pounds, shillings and pence heading The Hulk's way (though I'd be asking for it in USD if I was him - Brexit and all that...), it is necessary for me to believe that at 29 years old, with a good 6 or 7 years left in F1 should he perform, the LM24 win and a championship success at every level of his junior career, Nico would give at least a little thought to which team gave him the best chance of winning. There's definitely a certain naïveté to that but it must be a sport at least some of the time, right, otherwise what's the bloody point? I mean...right?

Force India, of course, have no money, one owner in jail and another barred from travel, both allegedly seeking an astronomical sum to sell the team. Apropos of nothing, that, and certainly not critically damaging to my own blue-skied viewpoint. Ahem.

PK, is the rumoured Audi withdrawal from LMP1 about Volkswagen seeing no logic in racing against themselves or should we be bracing ourselves for more of the "VAG to F1" rumours? Further, why is it that those rumours always surround the Audi brand rather than the Porsche name, particularly given Porsche having been in F1 3 times previously? I've often wondered but haven't followed the respective companies closely enough to know.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:Appreciative though I am of the pounds, shillings and pence heading The Hulk's way (though I'd be asking for it in USD if I was him - Brexit and all that...), it is necessary for me to believe that at 29 years old, with a good 6 or 7 years left in F1 should he perform, the LM24 win and a championship success at every level of his junior career, Nico would give at least a little thought to which team gave him the best chance of winning. There's definitely a certain naïveté to that but it must be a sport at least some of the time, right, otherwise what's the bloody point? I mean...right?
The point is that if you're not in a Mercedes, Red Bull or possibly a McLaren for the near future, you're not going to win. Merc isn't going to drop off any time soon. Red Bull looks revived. McLaren is showing glimmers of progress.

Ferrari is a bureaucratic mess, Williams lacks money, and every other team is a pretender. So yes, Hulk will go to where the pay packet is the biggest, which is a manufacturer team. There's also the hope a manufacturer's monetary commitment could lead to the recruitment of better staff, which could increase the chances of winning.

But money is the No. 1 priority for any driver, especially those outside of Mercedes and Red Bull. Hell, McLaren was at nearly the bottom of the heap last season. But Alonso and Button both stayed. Why? Because McLaren paid both more than any potential suitor could.

Pro racing careers are so short and ephemeral. Drivers/riders must cash in at every opportunity. It's why we saw so many riders (Rossi, Crutchlow, Hayden, Dovizioso) go to Ducati between 2009-15 and fail miserably on the most diabolical MotoGP factory bike of this generation. The riders knew the bike was sh*t, but the House of Bologna paid them a ton of euros. Plus their egos all said they could equal the genius of Casey Stoner, the only rider during that period to corral that bike and ride it to the top of the box.
GB_Simo wrote:PK, is the rumoured Audi withdrawal from LMP1 about Volkswagen seeing no logic in racing against themselves or should we be bracing ourselves for more of the "VAG to F1" rumours? Further, why is it that those rumours always surround the Audi brand rather than the Porsche name, particularly given Porsche having been in F1 3 times previously? I've often wondered but haven't followed the respective companies closely enough to know.
Sports car racing always has been seen as part of the Porsche DNA for more than 40 years. When you think Porsche racing since the early 70s, you think Le Mans. The 917, 935, 936, 956, 962, 919, etc., etc. What's the first Audi you remember as a Le Mans icon? The R8, which debuted in 2000.

Plus Audi has dominated in other forms of racing. Touring cars, rally. Porsche has staked its successful claim in sports car racing almost from the get-go and always will.

As for Audi withdrawing from Le Mans, I'll believe it when I see it.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I know, mate, and understand perfectly. At least with Alonso you can see a competitive logic, mind - Alonso reasoning that Ferrari aren't going to beat Mercedes but that perhaps McLaren and Honda's structure, organisation and resources might, for instance - but for every one of those there's a Mansell at McLaren, a Jones at Haas Lola and so on. It's sometimes difficult, for me at least, to separate that knowledge from the childhood notion that these men are my heroes, with all that heroism entails, rather than simply being men who drive quickly for money.

Good point on Audi and Porsche's respective histories, mate. Appreciate the insight.