The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:Stranger Things on Netflix is absolutely incredible. Fantastic casting. SUPER show. It has a definite Spielberg feel to it. If you grew up in the 80's you will love the vibe. Watch it.
5 episodes in and this moving into "favorite show of all time" territory.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Just finished season 3 of Game of Thrones.....damn! Good show, but did not see that coming. :cry:

I've only watched one episode so far of The Night Of on HBO, but I'm hooked. Great plot line.

Will definitely check out Stranger Things and Kingdom pretty soon.

Not sure I'll make it through the first season of Ray Donovan. Good show, but the acting is just so so. Not gripping me.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

The wife and I binged Stranger Things this weekend. It's just fantastic.

We also watched the first episode of The Night Of. It is absolutely superb, but I'm not sure we're interested in going where it leads each week. Imagine a comedy where every decsion a main character makes is wrong and leads to more bad things happening to him. The Night Of is like that, only it's never funny. It's heartbreaking.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Night of has been great.

I like Ray Donovan too. Outlandish but Voight is so good in the role as a scumbag.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

The Night Of is excellent so far. Wish they would start dropping some clues though as to what direction the story will take.

Other great series I am watching is Animal Kingdom. HBO rarely disappoints.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Been watching Peaky Blinders after checking out this thread. I am hooked!

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

grtwhtsk wrote:Been watching Peaky Blinders after checking out this thread. I am hooked!
Peaky Blinders is downright fantastic stuff. I recommend turning subtitles on because some of those accents are a bit thick.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

"The Night Of" has been a slow, satisfying burner that has ignited into a bonfire the last few weeks.

I made the mistake of buying the preseason media hype that compared this show to "The Wire." It's not "The Wire," neither in content nor brilliance. But it's a damn compelling show, with excellent writing, characters and acting, that has improved and intensified with every episode.

I've never seen the dude who plays Naz in any previous performance. He's good. And Turturro and Michael K. Williams are FANTASTIC.

I can't wait to watch this show every week.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pk500 wrote:"The Night Of" has been a slow, satisfying burner that has ignited into a bonfire the last few weeks.

I made the mistake of buying the preseason media hype that compared this show to "The Wire." It's not "The Wire," neither in content nor brilliance. But it's a damn compelling show, with excellent writing, characters and acting, that has improved and intensified with every episode.

I've never seen the dude who plays Naz in any previous performance. He's good. And Turturro and Michael K. Williams are FANTASTIC.

I can't wait to watch this show every week.
I"m about to give this a shot. I though the ads looked promising, and my friend highly recommended it to me comparing it to True Detective S1.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples39 wrote:I"m about to give this a shot. I though the ads looked promising, and my friend highly recommended it to me comparing it to True Detective S1.
Interesting comparison. "The Night Of" is far grittier and more direct than season one of "True Detective," which I also loved. There's no metaphysical Rust Cohle-like musings from any character. "The Night Of" puts a knot into your stomach very quickly, and it stays there until the credits roll each episode.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:"The Night Of" puts a knot into your stomach very quickly, and it stays there until the credits roll each episode.

I'm pretty sure that just hearing the music drives up my blood pressure by 30%
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

FYI but for those of you that watched season one of Narcos on Netflix, season 2 will be up Friday September 2nd. Very good show about Pablo Escobar.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

tjung0831 wrote:FYI but for those of you that watched season one of Narcos on Netflix, season 2 will be up Friday September 2nd. Very good show about Pablo Escobar.
Very much looking forward to season 2. Perfect timing, as I just finished watching all six seasons of Game of Thrones.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:FYI but for those of you that watched season one of Narcos on Netflix, season 2 will be up Friday September 2nd. Very good show about Pablo Escobar.
Thanks for the tip! LOVED Season 1. Need another show as "The Night Of" is about to end.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Another upvote for Narcos. Really solid show is season 1.

I need just need to catch up on Night Of, Mr Robot and Bojack Horseman first. :D
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Finished Stranger Things the other night. Thought the first 4-5 episodes were quite good, but the shine wore off rather quickly. Doubt I'll tune in to the second season.

Thinking about checking out Shameless after I finish the second season of Narcos.

Sure wish season 3 of Fargo would get here! Looks like it may be a while.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Love the first two episodes of Donald Glover's "Atlanta." Nice blend of comedy and drama in a pretty unique half-hour format. Doesn't look like anything else on TV either.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

RobVarak wrote:Love the first two episodes of Donald Glover's "Atlanta." Nice blend of comedy and drama in a pretty unique half-hour format. Doesn't look like anything else on TV either.
Was a really good show, though at times hard to understand. I had that same feeling I had watching Trainspotting for the first time, but I still haven't picked up all the dialogue.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

F308GTB wrote:
RobVarak wrote:Love the first two episodes of Donald Glover's "Atlanta." Nice blend of comedy and drama in a pretty unique half-hour format. Doesn't look like anything else on TV either.
Was a really good show, though at times hard to understand. I had that same feeling I had watching Trainspotting for the first time, but I still haven't picked up all the dialogue.

SCOTLAND!!! ye BASTA :lol:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

FYI: Westworld was freaking great. Can't wait for more.

Also, The Exorcist on FOX is the first sequel to the original film and book that does it justice. It's pretty damn great if you like that kind of horror.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I have to agree, Westworld was one of my favortie movies as a kid so I was a little skeptical but it was fantastic
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Anyone have a reliable place to watch a football life episodes? I really want to catch the one about Rodney Harrison that just aired.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Luke Cage, Netflix exclusive, damn fine so far (about 4 episodes in).

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Luke Cage, Netflix exclusive, damn fine so far (about 4 episodes in).
Im definitely gonna fire Luke Cage up this weekend.

I watched the CW (yes CW :D) series premier of Frequency last night and it was very good. Good casting...unlike NBC. The show is based on the excellent movie of the same name. Give it a look.

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

ESPN did a 30 for 30 on John Daly called hit it hard. I saw a clip about it on my yahoo feed today, so I watched it via the watch ESPN app. I also believe it's on tonight around 7 or 8pm.

I'm a big fan of 30 for 30, as well as a football life documentary shows. Hit it hard was awesome. Of all the athletes I've ever watched, John Daly really strikes me as a genuinely nice guy. He made millions and lost even more. Substance abuse, divorce and depression like millions of people. He's one of the only pro athletes I've ever been really enamored with. So many folks idolize and pedestalize pro athletes even if they're awful people. John Daly could have been an all time great, but his demons were too strong. I really love his positive attitude and how blunt he is. Interviewing Tom Brady or Kobe, everything is so scripted and buttoned up. They will never stray from the company line or create controversy. John Daly was an everyday person who could hit the ball longer than anyone else at his peak. I don't collect autographs, but if I could only have one it would be Daly.

Tldr, check out hit it hard on ESPN, its awesome