OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Post by 10spro »

Just a remarkable finals between two warriors that went tête à tête. I have to point out Djokovic's fantastic defense and mention that it is as good as Nadals. This guy just never gives up and made Fedeter hit just one more shot even when the point was practically won. Federer had so many chances to break his serve, I counted at least 20, yet he could only convert on 2 or 3. Djoko served magnificently to save those break points and his long winding forehand was so hard to read for the Swiss during key points.

In the end the forehand stroke became Rogers' achilles heel, spreading it all over the court when Djokovic kept going at his backhand for most of the match. His speed, his court coverage, his return of serve just kept Federer hitting one more shot and eventually committing several unforced errors in tonight's brutal, physical match.

Now he's among the very best with double digit GS wins. He served so well when he had those breaks against him, mentally tough too when the entire stadium minus his box was pro Federer.

Great atmosphere for a great championship match. Two great champions that love the sport deeply as mentioned in their interviews and will continue to lead the sport for awhile.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

The rain delay made things too late for me last night. Just finished watching a recording from 2-1 to Djokovic in the 3rd. When he got the break back in that set, Roger looked to have Novak on the ropes for a while but couldn't take advantage of the break points. In the fourth, he continued to be unable to convert opportunities, often because Djokovic played those points really well. And Roger had a further three break points in the final game of the match but to no avail. When I was a kid, I was asked what was the most important point of each game and I answered, "the first one". As Federer well knows, especially after this match, that wasn't the right answer.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Just don't see Federer ever beating Djoko in the big tourneys, where the Serbian bears down.

Fed wasn't getting his first serve in, a sure sign of jitters, while Djoko was ruthlessly efficient.

Then he's trying to charge the net more. He's too old to change up his game like that. He doesn't have the instincts or the anticipation at the net to beat players with the best ground strokes.

His only chance is if Djoko gets injured or upset by someone else. That happened a year or two ago but then Murray beat him in the finals at Wimbledon?

Real mental block.

Now, barring injury, Djoko is going to threaten Federers GS titles.

Guys like Warinka have the ability but just not consistent enough to break in. Murray broke through once or twice but his ceiling has been hit.

Need to see some new blood.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Nadal out in the first round at the Aussie Open.

Looks like he may have seen his last of his days winning majors, like Federer.

He last won the French in 2014 so it hasn't been that long since he won a major. But as he approaches 30, maybe the years and injuries have taken a toll.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Nadal out in the first round at the Aussie Open.

He last won the French in 2014 so it hasn't been that long since he won a major. But as he approaches 30, maybe the years and injuries have taken a toll.
He probably took a bribe to tank. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Nadal out in the first round at the Aussie Open.

He probably took a bribe to tank. :)
There's never giving up in this dude but maybe a few years back, when people were questioning about the possibility of drugs especially when he won those tough French Opens rather convincingly.

That was a marathon of a match. Brilliantly played on both sides. After the fourth set tiebreaker which Verdasco pulled it out of nowhere, I thought that Nadal's physical fitness would eventually turn the match in his favour, in fact during the last set with already a break when they did the survey, over 70% of the fans still thought that the Mallorcan would win.

Deep inside I always thought Verdasco had a chance though. Fernando can hit winners out of both sides when he's hot and shortens his swing and just started painting the lines with a nothing to lose mentality.

With him if he can keep his cool in check, already a wily eteran, he can beat any top ten any day. I knew Nadal had a tough draw but this is a big upset.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Verdasco goes out...if he could somehow bottle his best form, he'd be a contender for all the titles but...

Fed looks great. Tough draw though. Dimitrov up next. A match for the purists. And for insomniacs. I calculate a 2:30 pm local time start in Melbourne, which I think is 5:30 am where I live and around 11:30 pm in New York (check it out as I could be completely wrong in my sums)

I'm going to stick my neck out for the fun of it and try to pick the quarterfinals:

Djokovic v Tsonga
Federer v Berdych (top half)

Monfils v Wawrinka
Ferrer v Murray (bottom half)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

As talented as Dimitrov is, I just don't see how he can hurt Federer's game. He's got a decent serve and should follow it more with a net game. His beautiful backhand is just too inconsistent.

With Hewitt retiring all Aussies' hope focuses on Kyrgios. Never a dull moment in his tennis, if he grows up personally and in his game, he may surprise Berdych who can be hot and cold.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Berdych looked very solid from what I saw of his match against Kyrgios, who comes across at times like an immature schoolyard bully. Great talent though. There's a reason why Berdych has been one of the top players in the world for a long time now. Bautista Agut should give him agut run for his money (sorry, sorry!!) but I'd expect Berdych to come through and be the biggest potential obstacle to the Novak v Fed semi.

The match against the brave Simon could be a little bit tough for Novak but the long rallies will give him a great opportunity to really get his game into a good groove and that should serve him well later in the tourney.

Tsonga v Nishikori is the pick of this round. Hard to call but I'll go for Tsonga on the basis that he outlasted Kei in Roland Garros and the hard court should be slightly more to his liking.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

That was a thriller between Djoko and Simon. The Frenchman certainly gave the crowd their money's worth with his counterpunching game which frustrated the #1 player at times. Admittedly Djoko made too many unforced errors in the game. Even down 1-5 Simon kept battling hard in the last set until the Serbian tightened up the screws.

He'll face Kei in the quarters who rather beat Tsonga rather easily in straight sets. No matter how hard the Frenchman would serve, Nishikori always had an answer not only returning his serve but also returning it deep into the court keeping Tsonga honest.

He'll be a good challenge for Djoko who matches Connors' 27th straight appearance into a GS quarters.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Simon is a great warrior. Possibly my favorite player of recent times (even though, and maybe because, he's the antithesis of the way I "play").

I love the post-match press conferences so if anyone else is interested, here's the link:

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/video/inde ... ews_videos

Nishikori has weapons that Gilles doesn't have, so Djokovic could have another big battle on his hands.

Federer was sublime against Goffin but Berdych is a heavyweight obstacle.

Some great battles coming up in the lower half tonight. I fancy Wawrinka and Ferrer to get the better of the big servers, though Isner and Raonic could easily prove me wrong.

Murray and Tomic will be a battle of two similar styles but I think the Scot will have too much class. That said, Tomic has definitely been motivated by the arrival on the scene of younger Aussie guns so maybe he's ready to really hit the high spots

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Boy Federer looked to be in cruise control last night. Brilliant first setter from both players until the Swiss stepped it up in the tie breaker with some brilliant backhand winners. Berdych didn't play badly but mentally was taken back in the second set while Federer kept his pressure on.

I missed the Djoko match as it was way past midnight, but looks like he cruised rather easily too, a bit surprising to me especially how Kei was playing lately.

Should be a great semis that could go the distance with an edge for the Serbian.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Hard to see Djoko being denied this one. He owns Federer and Murray in recent years.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Stunning performance by Djokovic, especially in the first two sets. All credit to Federer for managing to emerge from under the rubble to snatch the third and keep things within the boundaries of respectability. As wco81 points out, it's hard to imagine anyone denying Djokovic the title, though the matches have to be played. Raonic has improved a lot and added many other facets to his great serve, so he could be a threat. I feel that Murray will make it to the final and I'd expect him to be very competitive, though a clear second favorite against Nole.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The top level of tennis he executed during the first two sets reminded me of the top level of tennis that Federer had back in 06-07 when he was absolutely untouchable. Djokovic is at that stage right now. He just dominated his semis convingly.

Raonic has been serving superbly and has improved a lot on his return of serve, Murray is still the favorite but will his mind be in the right place if his wife is close to giving birth.

Regardless, Djoko is set to win it all again.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

10spro wrote: Regardless, Djoko is set to win it all again.
Yeah, almost too predictably. Nadal said after the Doha final that Djokovic had played perfect tennis, and he touched those heights again in Australia, especially in the first two sets against Federer.

After a terrible start, I thought Murray played pretty well and sets 2 and 3 were very close. His forehand let him down a bit and serving two double faults in the third set breaker sealed his fate. 6 Aussie Open titles for Djokovic and still counting.

On the women's side, what a story for Angelique Kerber. Match point down in her first round match and seven matches later she takes the title against Serena. Serena wasn't at her best in the final, especially at the net, but Kerber played an outstanding match.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah I don't think Djoko is going to be beat by the contemporaries who were at the top when he broke out. So Federer, Murray and Nadal can't hang with him.

It's going to take injuries and father time, so some younger upstart will dethrone him, as happened with other greats.

He's got to race time to try to set the record for major tourney wins.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I can call him indeed one of the greatest of the sport. At the same age he equals RF in Grsnd Slam wins. His first French today was hard fought as Murray kept pushing him in the end. Well done Nole!

A career Grand Slammer winning all 4 majors, not an easy task.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Not too excited about Djoko. Hope someone rises to challenge him. Current generation has gone as far as they can go.

Garbine looks like she's having fun. A Basque-Venezuelan with Spanish citizenship who can speak English fluently. Hope she keeps winning.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Roger misses another chance.

Even with long-time adversaries like Djoko and Nadal out of the way, he just can't climb back to the top when it comes to these majors.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I thought he did fantastic in this tournament. Reaching the semis yet again at 34 is no picnic. He hasn't played much this year at all with injuries and lack of matchplay. I thought he was formidable saving 3 match points vs Cilic when he was all but gone.

Still the big W is his best chance for a GS win if he can stay healthy. Kudos to Milos who played a great match.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The harder Milos served, the harder the return came back at him. Murray won his second W in convincing style, playing solid tennis and deadly passing shots. I wished Raonic mixed his game up a bit more playing to the Scot's forehand, playing more near the baseline when receiving serve as he seemed to be just a tad late coming to the net on key moments. Still with the influence of McEnroe, he's taken big strides this year and will be a force at the US Open. I'll be watching him live in Toronto in a couple of weeks.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Wow, Raonic is 25.

If he's going to jump to the next level, he's going to have to do it in the next couple of years, try to win a major before he hits 28.

Murray and Djokovic are both 29 so they should decline after they hit 31 or so but if the next generation is going to rise, they should start doing it now.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Really good match on ESPN right now at US Open between Murray and Nishikori.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone