Sunset Overdrive

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Sunset Overdrive

Post by Macca00 »

I love how this game looks. I hate the camera - feel like it's 'just' off that I'm always fiddling with it when traversing the environment.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I finished the story this weekend. It was a fun ride. And I'm still hooked, running side missions, challenges and multiplayer.

My favorite charactors are Floyd and Troopmaster Brill Cream. Favorite boss battle was on the roller coaster.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Pete1210 wrote:I finished the story this weekend. It was a fun ride. And I'm still hooked, running side missions, challenges and multiplayer.

My favorite charactors are Floyd and Troopmaster Brill Cream. Favorite boss battle was on the roller coaster.
Even though I have some issues with the game, it keeps me coming back for more. I get a bit motion sick from it but still have a desire to play - I guess that's saying something. I'd like to dig into the Chaos Squad stuff soon.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Spooky wrote:
Pete1210 wrote:I finished the story this weekend. It was a fun ride. And I'm still hooked, running side missions, challenges and multiplayer.

Even though I have some issues with the game, it keeps me coming back for more. I get a bit motion sick from it but still have a desire to play - I guess that's saying something. I'd like to dig into the Chaos Squad stuff soon.
Really want to try this game out, but I too get motion sickness after about a half hour of gaming on open world games. It looks fun as heck!

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Full game is free to play all day Saturday (11/22), starting at 12:01am EST tonight. Any progress can be transferred over if you buy later.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Nice! I have my rental on the way as well. Cool gesture by MS.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Pete1210 wrote:Full game is free to play all day Saturday (11/22), starting at 12:01am EST tonight. Any progress can be transferred over if you buy later.
Nice gesture. I haven't seen NPD figures, but this offer also can be interpreted as: "Sales have been disappointing for this game. So let's put a pretty girl in front of the store with free samples and hope people bite and enter the shop to buy the full product."
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote: Nice gesture. I haven't seen NPD figures, but this offer also can be interpreted as: "Sales have been disappointing for this game. So let's put a pretty girl in front of the store with free samples and hope people bite and enter the shop to buy the full product."
Maybe, maybe not. Steam does this all the time, often on recently released games. Actually you're probably right, never mind :)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
pk500 wrote: Nice gesture. I haven't seen NPD figures, but this offer also can be interpreted as: "Sales have been disappointing for this game. So let's put a pretty girl in front of the store with free samples and hope people bite and enter the shop to buy the full product."
Maybe, maybe not. Steam does this all the time, often on recently released games. Actually you're probably right, never mind :)
For just 24 hours? That's not a gift -- it's a thinly disguised ploy to drive sales. I work in marketing and PR; I know the drill. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:For just 24 hours? That's not a gift -- it's a thinly disguised ploy to drive sales. I work in marketing and PR; I know the drill. :)
Really, no other way to read into it especially with all the AAA+ games that just hit. MS thought better to help drive game sales. The other thing to consider is that MS is probably reacting to Insomniac bitching about poor game sales. That's a AAA+ developer for Sony so if MS wants to see them do more games for them they better do whatever makes them happy.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Sales started pretty strong in the UK.
http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/03/sunset-ov ... e-4932731/

Hard in this crowded November for a new IP to keep up. I think they'd do better with a permanent smaller slice of the game as a demo. Maybe a couple of missions or some timed multiplayer.

The game is a breath of fresh air among the never ending sequels. Definitely worth a look if you have time tomorrow. If you do you may want to get the 23 GB download started after midnight.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Breath of fresh air is right. It's reminiscent of games from the 90s where they're not taken so seriously. Love the art style and frantic pace. The story is decent enough to stay engaged as are the characters. The controls take some getting used to. I only played about 45 minutes as my head can only take so much of the motion before I get a bit dizzy. But I'm defintiely looking forward to playing some more.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

This game really picks up after a slow start - thought it was fairly mediocre for the first 2 hours and then it just takes off and keeps getting better and better. Great, great game.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

pk500 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
For just 24 hours? That's not a gift -- it's a thinly disguised ploy to drive sales. I work in marketing and PR; I know the drill. :)
Well, hell, everything is marketing ind PR in some fashion. They didn't just send out birthday gifts to everyone because they think we are neat-o.

It does seem that SO is the kind of game that plays more fun than it looks from the impressions I've read. Putting it into their hands is a good way to give them a idea of what it really feels like. Letting them keep their achievements is a really slick move, too.

For me, I was in Ohio the last two days visiting colleges with the daughter, just getting in a 11:30 last night. So I missed out.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Weird thing happened to me as I played a mission last night without installing the game as I already own it and carried on from the last save point. The game stopped after around 11 PM so I thought it was because the free trial was over. Tried to play another mission tonight with the CD and the game would not start at all. Instead there was a little cd circle in red on the game avatar, while the advertisement for 15% -20% off the game was still on.

Will try again tomorrow, just wondering if anyone that has the game encountered this issue.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

My review;

http://maximumpixelation.com/2014/11/24 ... ne-review/

I'm really surprised by just how much I enjoyed this game. The traversal is so much fun I'm even going back and getting all the collectables (something I rarely ever do in open-world games) - I got all 150 security cams just last night!

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Macca, I enjoyed your review and its in line with my opinion on the game. Great point about the jump dash. That's when the traversal really started to click.

You did not mention the Chaos Squad multiplayer. It's 8 man co-op consisting of 6 or so mini-missions followed by a base defense in one of 6 areas of the city. Chaos Squad is the only letdown for me. When I did try to play with a friend or two in a public match at least one of us would get dropped. We didn't have enough to run a private match since the MP doesn't scale; You need almost a full room to get past the missions. I can understand that since more players is what puts the Chaos in Chaos Squad. And it is crazy at times with most of my TV screen filled up with exploding OD. I did get in some good public rooms on my own, but after several rounds it was starting to feel repetitive.

Perhaps they will add some new MP modes with DLC? This game would be perfect for drop in / drop out coop like Dead Rising 3. Or multiplayer free roam like GTA.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The Air-dash definitely made the game more fun for me, geez where would I be without it. Probably still chasing after Norton Dragon, it surely took me awhile to ride on her.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Finally dug into this game last weekend and tonight after it was available for free with Games With Gold.

Hilarious. Maybe the funniest game I've played. Reminds me so much of the love child of Jet Grind Radio -- one of my favorites on the Dreamcast -- and a shooter, with a f*ck ton of attitude thrown in.

Excellent mindless fun.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Finally dug into this game last weekend and tonight after it was available for free with Games With Gold.

Hilarious. Maybe the funniest game I've played. Reminds me so much of the love child of Jet Grind Radio -- one of my favorites on the Dreamcast -- and a shooter, with a f*ck ton of attitude thrown in.

Excellent mindless fun.
Dang, guess I missed the sale. Always wanted to try it, but not for 30 bucks.