XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote:Edit: Never mind I'm not in the mood to deal with this. PK summed up everything.
He sure did.

Sorry I missed the body slam though. Cant think of a more deserving troll. :lol: :lol:

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I think MS should have at least dropped the price $50 for the holiday season. They would be off the shelves then. I don't think Sony would match.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I take that back. :P

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Inuyasha wrote:I think MS should have at least dropped the price $50 for the holiday season. They would be off the shelves then. I don't think Sony would match.
KMart has answered your prayers. The Big K is selling a One without Kinect for $350 next week, according to cheapassgamer.com.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Major Nelson pushed out a template for creating custom themes, and folks are already knocking out some cool ones, as can be seen on Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/XboxThemes/?cou ... =t3_2k5fhu

I thought this Royals one was cool.

I'm hoping someone will create a nice Jayhawks version based on their pinstripes uniforms.

The pinstripes are words that read:

"Pay Heed. The game you love began here. Respect those who came before you. Make their legacy your own. Because destiny favors the dedicated. And rings don't replace work. In this game you don't get what you want. You get what you earn. We are Kansas. Together we rise. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!"

Some others.

XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

MS is doing a lot to make sure it has enough share. It's unthinkable that Xbox One could become as irrelevant as the Wii U.

But on the other hand, MS reported good results yesterday on the strength of its cloud business. The new CEO has been urged to drop unprofitable businesses like the Xbox.
Why does it matter?

Is the sales lead that the PS4 has built up big enough to really skew the market for console video games? Probably not yet. Most third-party game publishers would be crazy to simply ignore over 40 percent of their potential market, and millions of potential purchases, by focusing solely on the PlayStation 4 (absent some sort of outside incentive). This is why third-party console exclusives are much rarer than they were in the era of the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2, where Sony's systems had a dominant market share and became the de facto standard for many third-party franchises.

Microsoft might need to worry if Sony's lead keeps expanding. An Xbox One with roughly 40 percent of the worldwide market is hard to ignore. An Xbox One that is whittled down over time to 25 or 30 percent of the market make it easier for publishers to decide to pass on ports (see: publishers' reaction to the Wii U's light sales). Already, developers like Crytek are saying they're "not 100 percent happy with Xbox One sales."
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/a ... -xbox-one/

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Thanks for the enlightening information that if the Xbox doesn't sell well publishers will quit making games for it. We had no idea. :roll:

As for the new CEO, this is what he said yesterday:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/23/7030 ... l-earnings
Nadella once again reaffirmed Microsoft's commitment to Xbox, and noted the company will strengthen its gaming experiences on PCs and consoles. "Gaming is the one category that we’ve said we’ll invest in it for its own sake in driving enterprise value," explains Nadella. "The reason we’re why we’re so competitive now in Cortana and speech recognition, which I think is core to productivity, first started with Kinect and Xbox." Nadella clearly sees Xbox as an important way for the company to analyze and feedback data to improve other products at the company. On the topic of cloud computing, Nadella says everyone should "think of Azure as the common fabric of all our applications." A clear signal to the importance of the cloud's influence on Microsoft's future.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gaming will remain cyclical for Sony and Microsoft. Anyone who fails to recognize this isn't paying attention.

The PS2 dominated the Xbox in sales. Microsoft stayed in gaming.

The 360 outsold the PS3, causing some to question whether Sony would remain in gaming long term. Sony stayed in gaming.

The PS4 is outselling the One. Does anyone think MS is abandoning gaming and that publishers other than those who develop Sony exclusives are going to run away from a console manufactured by one of the biggest software companies in the world?

Doubtful. Sony and Microsoft are the Toyota and GM of consoles. They will stay in the game, with ebbs and flows for both.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

sony is more dependent on the console business than Microsoft.

Some have speculated that MS, instead of bringing out a new console in a few years, would instead allow Xbox to run in a VM on PCs.

Then they wouldn't have to develop and manufacture hardware.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote: The PS4 is outselling the One. Does anyone think MS is abandoning gaming and that publishers other than those who develop Sony exclusives are going to run away from a console manufactured by one of the biggest software companies in the world?

Doubtful. Sony and Microsoft are the Toyota and GM of consoles. They will stay in the game, with ebbs and flows for both.
If you actually look at the sales figures in a bubble the XB1 has sold more units than the 360 at launch which sold more than the Xbox. Bad communication and PR coupled with players really not wanting new advances just prettier graphics gave Sony this lead. MS counted on consumers being smarter which is just poor prep on their part, they won't make that mistake again.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Kmart deal may go for or take chances on bf.

Did ms delay the screenshot feature backgrounds till next year.

Xbo is behind for one reason: don mattrick. If it wasn't for that ahole I'd have a xbo instead of ps4. That's probably true for all of us 360 fanboys that went ps4 this gen.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Keep the rules straight in this thread, folks.

Sales discussions are verboten. Keep on with the blanket denigration of PS4 customers.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

webdanzer wrote:Keep the rules straight in this thread, folks.

Sales discussions are verboten. Keep on with the blanket denigration of PS4 customers.
I'm pretty sure it's not a blanket denigration only responses to two clearly obvious trolls. The fact you're supporting them is surprising however.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Danimal wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's not a blanket denigration only responses to two clearly obvious trolls. The fact you're supporting them is surprising however.
Danimal wrote:Bad communication and PR coupled with players really not wanting new advances just prettier graphics gave Sony this lead. MS counted on consumers being smarter which is just poor prep on their part, they won't make that mistake again.
Woah, if that was directed at two trolls, those two trolls have must have some whopping purchasing power to have given Sony the lead! 8O

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

FINALLY, a release date. The worse thing about a bunch of new features is not knowing when they're coming out.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

pk500 wrote:
Feanor wrote:The great deals MS has been offering for the Xbox One around the world are a direct result of it falling so far behind the PS4 in sales.
Uh-huh. Sun rises in East, sets in West. Stop beating around the bush: What's your point?

Some people prefer the PS4. Others like the Xbox One. But anyone who chooses a particular console due to sales numbers is a f*cking idiot unless the machine lagging in sales is produced by an upstart company that depends on venture capital for survival. I don't quite think Microsoft falls into that category.

So again, what's your point? The Toyota Camry is the top-selling car in America. Does that make it a better-performing vehicle than a Porsche 911?
What a strange analogy. Those two cars don't cost the same price.

I wonder why some of you guys get personally upset by any discussion of the sales numbers this generation. Somehow I didn't think it happened last gen when the 360 dominated in America.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Danimal wrote:
webdanzer wrote:Keep the rules straight in this thread, folks.

Posting the sales results from the September NPDs is trolling. :lol:

That a grown man could be so sensitive to factual information about how many videogame systems have been sold in America is genuinely amazing to me.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Feanor wrote:I wonder why some of you guys get personally upset by any discussion of the sales numbers this generation. Somehow I didn't think it happened last gen when the 360 dominated in America.
Hmm. Let's assemble a few facts followed by a logical inference here.

Fact: You are a known Sony loyalist in this forum.

Fact: The Xbox One, while lagging in global sales, is gaining traction here at DSP. A few guys have purchased One's recently, and the One exclusive Forza Horizon has helped respawn DSP Poker Nights.

Fact: I can't recall anyone tossing the 360's superior sales figures at PS3 enthusiasts here when PS3 enthusiasts were discussing their enjoyment of their new console.

Inference: You felt you needed to defend the Sony flag amid this minor brushfire of DSP One admiration and enjoyment. So you cited sales figures.

Come on, man: We're not stupid. Would you have cited these sales figures anyways? Would you have trumpeted the PS4's superior sales numbers -- which are a known fact to ANYONE with a pulse who follows video games -- if we weren't discussing our fun with the One?

We're all adults here. Most of us have participated in gaming message boards for 10 years or more. In other words, we may have been born at night, but we weren't born last night. We can sniff troll bait like a sailor on shore leave in Bangkok can find an easy whore.

No one has their knickers in a wad about you using sales numbers to trumpet the PS4's superiority in all areas. It's actually pretty damn funny. But what is annoying -- to me and others -- are your proclamations of "Who, ME?" innocence when met with accusations of trolling or even trying to piss on a very small One parade here because of your blinkered loyalty to Sony. There's nothing inadvertent about your sales figures post. Not one syllable of it was written with informative intent. It was a schoolboy attempt to simulate a cat marking its turf by pissing around the perimeter.

Sorry you didn't get my analogy. Maybe you'll understand this one. The Toyota Camry is the top-selling car in America. But does that mean it's better than the Mazda 6, which has earned the 2014 J.D. Power award for the top midsize car sold in the U.S. for performance and design? The Camry's MSRP is $26,635. The Mazda 6's MSRP is $25,690. That's a difference of $945. Is that a large enough margin to be odd?

Let me close by asking you this question: What current-gen consoles do you own?
Last edited by pk500 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I don't think anything Feanor posted was wrong. Sales Figures are still technically part of this discussion.

I think Feanor contributes valid information. I don't think he's a troll at all. If you are basing him on his pro-PS4 stance, then you got to call Aristo a troll too since he does the same thing for XBO.

For the sake of argument, you can say you have 2 uber fanboys on both sides on these forums : Feanor - PS4 , Aristo - Xbox One. The rest are in the middle. So it balances out at the end.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Inuyasha wrote:I don't think anything Feanor posted was wrong. Sales Figures are still technically part of this discussion.

I think Feanor contributes valid information. I don't think he's a troll at all. If you are basing him on his pro-PS4 stance, then you got to call Aristo a troll too since he does the same thing for XBO.

For the sake of argument, you can say you have 2 uber fanboys on both sides on these forums : Feanor - PS4 , Aristo - Xbox One. The rest are in the middle. So it balances out at the end.
All good points. I have no problem with anyone professing their love for a console in a constructive conversation about the machines. But it rubs me the wrong way when it's done solely to piss on a few guys who are having a good time with their new Ones, and that clearly was the leading edge of the intent.

Seriously. If someone said they were having a good time with NBA Live 2015, I would not enter that thread and post NBA 2K15's far superior sales numbers in an effort to make a mindless point and pinch an oily sh*t in their punch bowl.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Aristo wrote:
XXXIV wrote:Xbox One ....77k

:lol: :lol:

360 still kicking ass.

Does anyone have the 360... ps3 numbers? Cause I haven't seen any for years. What happened with that?
The PS4 overtook the 360 in worldwide totals, but in North America the 360 is the overwhelming winner.

Part of Microsoft's problem is that they doubled down on features that we mostly meaningless in Europe, which made the XB1 even less popular. Combine that with DRM rhetoric, and Microsoft has been fighting to avoid a complete disaster, and so far they are failing that. They do have strong sales so far, but that's because this gen has been much more successful than anyone thought, so Microsoft can't ignore that the trend, despite sales number close to what they were shooting for, is not good at all.

They did nearly everything I had said they should, minus the most important one. Once they released the Kinectless SKU, they really needed to drop the price to $350 without the Kinect and $400 with. That would have moved consoles out of E3. Maybe they are selling like crazy now, but I doubt it.

The One is an easy choice for me because I was always going to use it as my primary media streaming device, and I don't want to use a controller to deal with Amazon, Netflix, and everything else. I use the Harmony remote to access all of it, and even use it to scroll through stuff in the store. When you subtract the Kinect, which makes jumping from TV or Games and into a movie quick and easy, it makes having a IR remote even more necessary. And the battery life and issues with the sticks not holding up make using a controller for media apps even less appealing.

But as I said, that is a value others have not found necessary. The PS4 has more horsepower, so games look and feel a little better. If you don't value the rest of what the console does, because you have a Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, or some other media streaming device, then the PS4 is probably the better choice. I don't see a situation in which the XB1 becomes the destination console for multiplayer games in this generation like it it did for the 360.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Aristo wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:
Aristo wrote:
They don't. But GAF is extra special, so they get to make up numbers to make PS4 owners feel better about themselves.
Having owned both consoles, LOL..... :roll:
But numbers aren't real. They are based on what someone at GAF thinks they are. They aren't based on anything more tangible than an estimate of what the WII U did and an estimate of hope many consoles were sold in all categories. It's not that I don't want them to be real, they just aren't. And the reason GAFers wants the numbers so bad is that NPD reporting day is another day for those particular Sony users to gloat. Read the thread and tell me that's not what it is.

Look, I prefer the One for reasons I've stated often enough, but I'm not blind. I think there is still a chance that the XB1 is going to suffer a Wii U like collapse. People who have used it have dumped it. 360 users seem to be jumping to the PS4 in droves. What I value in the XB1 is not being valued by the masses.

I said in my post that while Microsoft accepted that May was lost, that they will have no excuse when June is lost, too. This isn't trying to pretend anything. FFS, you had a One and then switched over to a PS4. Why on earth would you care what the sales numbers are? I don't think you could have made a more educated decision.

But none of that means that the numbers people are gloating about are real. And the reason so many people have accepted made up totals is that they really like to gloat. Period.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I don't think I'm a troll. I do think I'm an Xbox enthusiast. That does get me into the position of defending the the Xbox when I feel like it is being described inaccurately.

But I'm not an apologist, either. The Xbox is in a crap option because Microsoft misread the market and launched a system gamers didn't want for more money than they wanted to spend. I think they have legally righted their ship, but I still have doubts that it is going to turn the tide in terms of marketshare.

But in the little picture, my world, it actually doesn't matter anymore. I have more than twice as many gamers on my friends list as last gen. I have no problem finding people to play games with online. Microsoft is cranking out a lot of really good exclusive content. Third parties are are releasing versions of their game of the XB1 that look and play incredibly well. Where it stands compared to Sony means absolutely nothing now.

As far as I'm concerned, that's huge. At the E3 where Microsoft and Sony announced their price points, and Sony beat Microsoft by $100, made fun of Microsoft's vague used games policy, and did this to standing ovations, I figured the XB1 was dead in the water. Microsoft has come a hell of a long ways since then, and it has been bumpy the whole time.