The IPhone is totally awesome oh my gawd thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The IPhone is totally awesome oh my gawd thread

Post by Murph »

My contract expires next month and I am getting inundated with Verizon emails practically begging me to buy a new iPhone, telling me I can upgrade early, blah, blah....
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

The people camping out do know this is just a fecking phone, correct?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fsquid wrote:The people camping out do know this is just a fecking phone, correct?
Look at how many people you see in public glued to their phones while walking or even standing in a group of peers or friends. The phone has replaced other humans as the axis of some people's lives. That's not a stretch, either.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:
fsquid wrote:The people camping out do know this is just a fecking phone, correct?
Look at how many people you see in public glued to their phones while walking or even standing in a group of peers or friends. The phone has replaced other humans as the axis of some people's lives. That's not a stretch, either.
I agree!

Sent from my iPhone while eating lunch with co-workers.

:D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:
Exactly, how you are supposed to enjoy a concert without holding your phone above your head???

Got my 6 this morning. It's size feels weird but now my old 5s feels tiny. So confusing!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Any weirder than when people used to camp out for consoles back in the day?

More respectable for adults to be more possessive of phones than consoles but in reality, it's a toy as well.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I am a self proclaimed nerd/geek who loves new gadgets but I would never sit in line like these people. I preordered online, came home from work and there it was, by the magic of UPS, sitting on my porch. I'll be the first to admit I get excited for new stuff...console launches, new phones, new games, etc. but my objective is to get the damn thing with the least amount of inconvenience. My PS4, Xbox One, and now iPhone 6 were all delivered on launch day with no problems. Hell, with Prime I had free shipping on the consoles. Whatever floats your boat. If these people get a charge out of spending time in line with friends, meeting new people, etc. then more power to them.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

wco81 wrote:Any weirder than when people used to camp out for consoles back in the day?

More respectable for adults to be more possessive of phones than consoles but in reality, it's a toy as well.
heck back in the early 90's I would wait outside Babbages every release day for EA's hockey game.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Went to the Apple store today...what a circle jerk there. LOL. That 6+ is obnoxious big...my buddy that was with me to get me my discount just got his and hates it. Gonna take it back and exchange it for the regular 6.

That said, I walked out with my new 13" Macbook Pro w/ Retina I've been putting off buying for the past year and a half till they actually put a legit graphics processor in it. Quality machine...that puts my 13" Air from 2012 to shame performance wise.

They really do make the best laptops from a hardware standpoint. Impressive engineering for sure.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Went to the Apple store today...what a circle jerk there. LOL. That 6+ is obnoxious big...my buddy that was with me to get me my discount just got his and hates it. Gonna take it back and exchange it for the regular 6.

That said, I walked out with my new 13" Macbook Pro w/ Retina I've been putting off buying for the past year and a half till they actually put a legit graphics processor in it. Quality machine...that puts my 13" Air from 2012 to shame performance wise.

They really do make the best laptops from a hardware standpoint. Impressive engineering for sure.
Very happy with the size of the 6. I compared it to my buddy's SG3 today and it's essentially the same. Love the 6 across the board.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I have the 6+ and have zero complaints about it's size. It's exactly what I expected and after using a Galaxy Note and Note 2 for over a year it feels very familiar. The interesting thing about the 6+ compared to the Note series is that because the 6+ has such a premium build it feels a tad heavier even though it is not. It's the feel of the materials I think.

I do understand why long time iPhone users will be polarized by its size. I think the majority of Note or other "phablet" users went to those sizes for a specific purpose or with a certain concept in mind - so even if it required a slight adjustment period, they were determined. Plus, Android users in general are used to larger phones all around. Many long time iPhone users are going to try the 6+ from either marketing hype or curiosity (or both) after having used 3.5"-4" screens for years and it's going to feel very different and weird. It even took me the last day to acclimate after using an iPhone 5 for the past year. Many won't be able to adjust while others will and never look back.

My wife got the regular 6 and it's a great all around size and feel, but it doesn't give me enough of a significant screen increase that I loved so much with the Note series.

I also understand that the 6+ is probably a tad taller than it needs to be, especially compared to the LG G3, but it's just a concession iOS users will have to deal with as Apple is more committed than ever to using that 'Home' button with Apple Pay and whatever see the sensor scan will be used for.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Spooky wrote:I have the 6+ and have zero complaints about it's size. It's exactly what I expected and after using a Galaxy Note and Note 2 for over a year it feels very familiar. The interesting thing about the 6+ compared to the Note series is that because the 6+ has such a premium build it feels a tad heavier even though it is not. It's the feel of the materials I think.

I do understand why long time iPhone users will be polarized by its size. I think the majority of Note or other "phablet" users went to those sizes for a specific purpose or with a certain concept in mind - so even if it required a slight adjustment period, they were determined. Plus, Android users in general are used to larger phones all around. Many long time iPhone users are going to try the 6+ from either marketing hype or curiosity (or both) after having used 3.5"-4" screens for years and it's going to feel very different and weird. It even took me the last day to acclimate after using an iPhone 5 for the past year. Many won't be able to adjust while others will and never look back.

My wife got the regular 6 and it's a great all around size and feel, but it doesn't give me enough of a significant screen increase that I loved so much with the Note series.

I also understand that the 6+ is probably a tad taller than it needs to be, especially compared to the LG G3, but it's just a concession iOS users will have to deal with as Apple is more committed than ever to using that 'Home' button with Apple Pay and whatever see the sensor scan will be used for.
This is interesting to hear. I use the HTC M8 right now and while I'm not due to grab anything new soon, I did spend a lot of time in my local Best Buy on Saturday playing with both the 6 Plus and the Note and I came away with the feeling that were I to go bigger, the Note would be my choice. I found the extra length on the Plus to be too much, as you indicated, and to me the "hand feel" of the Note was much more comfortable. Interesting to hear you decided to go away from it.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

pk500 wrote:
I think that's because people just want to say (text) what they want to say and don't care about the response. Texting allows that. You don't have to have an actual conversation or act like
you are interested in what the other person has to say. It's sad.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

These social trends predate the smart phone.

People started using Walkmans to isolate themselves from the crowd, tune out the din of a crowded city.

iPods became popular and you started to see white headphones everywhere -- the subway, the sidewalks, etc.

Now, in addition to the headphones, people are staring at their phones, even as they walk down the street.

But back in the old days, people were using their non smart phones to have conversations while walking from the parking lot to their office building. Despite the limited number of voice minutes, people found a way to fill up spare minutes of their every day lives. You know the conversations were rather mundane but they were paying for the plans every month so it was a thing to use the phone in public rather than engaging with people around them.

You go back further, were people really engaging with strangers or even people they knew when they were out in the public? It seems the devices and gadgets just filled a void that was already there, which would account for how popular and ingrained they've become in everyone's daily life.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:You go back further, were people really engaging with strangers or even people they knew when they were out in the public? It seems the devices and gadgets just filled a void that was already there, which would account for how popular and ingrained they've become in everyone's daily life.
I used to bullsh*t with strangers in airports and on airplanes during business travel in the early to mid-90s, before prevalent cell phones and connected laptops, smart phones, e-readers and tablets.

Now that almost never happens. Just as well, because I either want to read on my Kindle, watch fights on my laptop, sleep or play with my phone. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Picked up a two of the iphone 6 today. Have been using Android since 2010 so was just wanting to switch it up for me and the wife. Plus our kids are all things apple so I figured I might as well join them. Also picked up a new quad core Mac Mini to replace my 2006 iMac which finally crapped out last month. I also loaded the mini up with 16gb of ram.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The Mini hasn't been updated in 2 years. There are rumors of a new version coming.

As long as it can run 10.9 and the upcoming 10.10 (Yosemite) it could be okay.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

wco81 wrote:The Mini hasn't been updated in 2 years. There are rumors of a new version coming.

As long as it can run 10.9 and the upcoming 10.10 (Yosemite) it could be okay.
Yeah...I know there were rumors. If it comes out during my return period, I'll probably exchange. I've got it loaded up so I shouldn't have any problem running Yosemite when it comes out.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Got the 8.4 iOS update today. Apple Music is the big addition. I'm doing the 3 free months trial. So far so good. I don't have Spotify but I imagine it is a similar deal. The Beats One Radio station is pretty good. I have never been a paid subscriber to any of the other music programs so this is new for me. I like it so far. Good stuff.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:Got the 8.4 iOS update today. Apple Music is the big addition. I'm doing the 3 free months trial. So far so good. I don't have Spotify but I imagine it is a similar deal. The Beats One Radio station is pretty good. I have never been a paid subscriber to any of the other music programs so this is new for me. I like it so far. Good stuff.
I could see where someone who never used a streaming service would like Apple Music. It's more intuitive than Spotify, which is a triumph of marketing over functionality.

But I still think Google Music is better than Apple Music. I'm sticking with the G. Paid subscriber, which is rare for me for anything.

The biggest news today in streaming isn't the debut of Apple Music. It's the debut of AC/DC's entire catalog for the first time on all the major streaming services. RAWK! :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am currently a Spotify Premium subscriber and will take full advantage of the three months trial from Apple. If you have a large family which includes teens you can't go wrong with the $15 dollar price tag for multiple users.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:I am currently a Spotify Premium subscriber and will take full advantage of the three months trial from Apple. If you have a large family which includes teens you can't go wrong with the $15 dollar price tag for multiple users.
I get that 15 bucks is a good deal for families, but if I'm running the house, my kid can listen to some ads that support the free service. :)

I'm a Google Music and Tidal Hi Fi subscriber, so clearly music is important to me...I'll give Apple a shot, but I really doubt I'll stick with it past the trial. The interface is NOT even close to as intuitive and easy to use as GM...so that's already a strike against it and it can't hold a candle to the SQ that comes out of Tidal lossless...sooooo...I don't see where it fits in my life really.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

For those that are going to give the free trial a shot, I'd advise disabling 'auto-renewal', so you're not on the hook for the $10 if you're not feeling it.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

As a Spotify AND Goggle Music subscriber - I'm giving Apple Music a shot for a few reasons...

-Apple integration and ease: Being an all Apple house makes the service a bit nicer via it's integration and small things like being able to use Siri now to call up a song or album when driving. Although I do agree with DB, the interface is not up to par with the competition.

-Family plan: As it is right now my wife and I cannot share playlists which has been a sorely missing feature (we both have to maintain kids song playlists and playlists of favorites we like on multiple devices). I am assuming that the family plan let's you access playlists across members. Hope I'm right...

-I read somewhere that you can upload 25k songs from your library to the cloud for Apple Music (by-passing iTunes Match) for songs that are not already in Apple Music and it will be bumped to 100k by the end of the year...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Spooky wrote:-I read somewhere that you can upload 25k songs from your library to the cloud for Apple Music (by-passing iTunes Match) for songs that are not already in Apple Music and it will be bumped to 100k by the end of the year...
That's a big plus.