OT: Racing 2014 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Racing 2014 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by XXXIV »

F308GTB wrote: 2) Was a procession, but nonetheless incredible driving all around on the tight streets of Monaco
I did enjoy watching it.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Anyone following MotoGP? Marquez is just unbelievable. Nothing this year has been as good as his win at Le Mans where after a bad start he quickly moved through the field to take the win, but yet another win today in Italy. The guy is simply unstoppable this year.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I watch every MotoGP race. Today's duel between Marquez and Lorenzo rivaled the Rosberg-Hamilton battle in the Bahrain GP as the most compelling motor race I've seen this year. Incredible skill. Remarkable entertainment.

The TUDOR United SportsCar Championship race Saturday at Detroit was a barnburner, too!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Hamilton looked like me taking those turns after his brakes failed.

First time all season a Mercedes car didnt lead a lap?

Rosberg back in the lead but his car has something wrong with too or is it now fixed?

Should be interesting last quarter of the race.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Ricciardo!

Mercedes perfect season not going to happen.

Vettel so lucky he didnt get hit by Massa or Perez. What the hell happened there? Was that Massa, Perez or both?

Hell of a race!

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

XXXIV wrote:Ricciardo!

Mercedes perfect season not going to happen.

Vettel so lucky he didnt get hit by Massa or Perez. What the hell happened there? Was that Massa, Perez or both?

Hell of a race!
Looked like all Massa's fault to me, but maybe he had a brake problem all of a sudden. Hmmm.... Not likely.

Amazing race, though. If only Ricciardo and then also Vettel had been able to get past Perez sooner - he was clearly holding them all up, but everyone had DRS because they were all bunched up, so no advantage - then it may have been an even bette race to the finish between the two RBs, Rosburg and Massa.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Looked 80% Perez to me - he was drifting to the left just as Massa got up alongside him, which you quite simply can't do, though he'd be entitled to argue that Felipe didn't need to be passing quite that close to him.

There are a variety of reasons why Felipe Massa didn't win the Canadian Grand Prix, very few of them his fault (7-second pit stop, Bottas not being moved aside sooner, the Williams' inherent lack of traction), but given the way the race unfolded, that one should really have fallen to him. Pro tip, though, Felipe: when you're in a DRS zone, remember to switch it on, there's a good lad. Having Massa stay alongside Vettel, at a time when Seb was using his DRS and Felipe wasn't, did at least highlight graphically where Red Bull's ongoing weakness lies.

Such a weakness that they won anyway. If Danny Ric won every single race, the implausibly cheery soul, I probably wouldn't mind. One of the very few drivers who still seems to see his racing as one big, long dream sequence that he's somehow brought to life.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

GB_Simo wrote:Looked 80% Perez to me -.
I dont see that. Im such a newb! 8)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

http://youtu.be/BObcBrAe-ro is the video I'd be embedding if I wasn't on my iPad and actually had a clue what I was doing, but since I am and I don't...

The second shot is perhaps the most instructive - it's from behind the cars and the change in the Force India's trajectory can be more clearly seen. The final shot, on board with Perez, shows him straightening the wheel through the fast right-hand kink - it's not his normal line and he's nothing like close enough to pass Vettel, so it looks like horribly misjudged defensive driving.

It's got him a 5-place grid penalty for Austria (the hills are alive with the sound of...by 'eck, these new engines are quiet, lad), whatever he was trying to do.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

GB_Simo wrote:http://youtu.be/BObcBrAe-ro is the video I'd be embedding if I wasn't on my iPad and actually had a clue what I was doing, but since I am and I don't...

The second shot is perhaps the most instructive - it's from behind the cars and the change in the Force India's trajectory can be more clearly seen. The final shot, on board with Perez, shows him straightening the wheel through the fast right-hand kink - it's not his normal line and he's nothing like close enough to pass Vettel, so it looks like horribly misjudged defensive driving.

It's got him a 5-place grid penalty for Austria (the hills are alive with the sound of...by 'eck, these new engines are quiet, lad), whatever he was trying to do.
I see it now. Thank you sir.

Loving the F1. Too bad we cant put a DSP race night together.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Yay a return to the A1 Ring awesome. Had some good dsp races on that track in the past .

Are we getting a next gen f1 game?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I dont know if they are making F1 2014 for next gen. Are they? They better! :P

Remember qualifying was designed for beer runs.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm ALWAYS up for a DSP F1 2013 Poker Night if I'm home.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Yay a return to the A1 Ring awesome. Had some good dsp races on that track in the past .
Time for my annual reminiscence of the night I had some weird clutch slip going on in my GP79 Alfa, lost track of where I should have been braking and punted PK's Williams all the way out of the game world. Just don't mention turn 2 at Toban, there's a good lad...

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:Yay a return to the A1 Ring awesome. Had some good dsp races on that track in the past .
Time for my annual reminiscence of the night I had some weird clutch slip going on in my GP79 Alfa, lost track of where I should have been braking and punted PK's Williams all the way out of the game world. Just don't mention turn 2 at Toban, there's a good lad...
I'm sure Paul appreciated that! :)

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

PK actually likes being punted from behind.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Very happy to see my favorite team, Williams, sweep the front row in qualifying for the Austrian GP. Anything that brings sunshine to the life of Sir Frank Williams -- as true of a racer as you'll find in the F1 paddock -- is cool with me.

Also very pleased to see Phil Mason (Felipe Massa) win the pole. I can't recall a more dignified, graceful response to a crushing defeat by an athlete in my life than the aftermath of the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix, in which Massa was within two turns of winning the World Championship before Lewis Hamilton snatched it away. Between that class and the terrible injuries he suffered in the freak accident in 2009 at Hungary, Massa deserves any good fortune that comes his way.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Interesting qualifying results.

Maybe the tide has turned? and we will some other drivers on the podium?

I didnt know any of Massa's history. Newb like new info.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

XXXIV wrote:Interesting qualifying results.

Maybe the tide has turned? and we will some other drivers on the podium?

I didnt know any of Massa's history. Newb like new info.
Massa is class. One of the few drivers who I think would enjoy sitting and talking racing over a beer with fans like us. The only others I can conceive in that group are Button and maybe Raikkonen, who hates the PR trappings of the sport but seems to love to party with his mates.

Recent sports car refugee Mark Webber also fit into that category when he was in F1. Hell, Webber once called me from Indianapolis when he was on a break between media commitments at IMS to promote the USGP. My colleague learned Webber liked soccer, and I was the only person on the IMS staff who liked soccer. So my buddy picked up the phone and connected Webber and me. We talked for five or 10 minutes. Very good dude.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Rosberg with the poll and Hamilton at 6th and not a happy man.

Team rivalry just keeps getting hotter.

Others in history?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

XXXIV wrote:Rosberg with the poll and Hamilton at 6th and not a happy man.

Team rivalry just keeps getting hotter.

Others in history?
Jones-Reutimann at Williams in 1980-81
Villeneuve-Pironi at Ferrari in 1981-82 (Led directly to Gilles' death at Zolder)
Mansell-Piquet at Williams in 1986-87 (Two fast egomaniacs/drama queens who never were at fault for an accident in their respective lives)
Senna-Prost at McLaren in 1988-89 (Probably the most bitter mind-f*ck between teammates ever)
Alonso-Hamilton at McLaren in 2007 (Lewis' speed caused Alonso to throw his toys out of the pram)

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I ask and I shall receive. :)

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Hamilton with the win and coming from the 6th to start. Well done at home!

Too bad for Rosberg to go out that way but good for the race for the championship. Its tightened up.

Vettel Alonso was pretty intense. Alonso does get the most out that crap Ferrari gave him. Starting 16th and getting to 6 is pretty cool.

These guys entertain the hell out of me. Great personalities!

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

pk500 wrote:Also very pleased to see Phil Mason (Felipe Massa) win the pole. I can't recall a more dignified, graceful response to a crushing defeat by an athlete in my life than the aftermath of the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix, in which Massa was within two turns of winning the World Championship before Lewis Hamilton snatched it away. Between that class and the terrible injuries he suffered in the freak accident in 2009 at Hungary, Massa deserves any good fortune that comes his way.
In complete agreement.

The way Massa handled his loss in 2008 really made me like him. He isn't the best wheel-to-wheel racer, but it's always great to see him do well.

P.S. Hey guys. It's been a while. Anyone gonna be at the Toronto Indy next week?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Smurfy wrote:P.S. Hey guys. It's been a while. Anyone gonna be at the Toronto Indy next week?
Yes, working the race, doing PR for the Porsche GT3 Canada support race.